On Now
Coming Up
  • Fri., Nov. 14, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:15 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media after practice at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, November 14, 2014.
  • Fri., Nov. 14, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Buccaneers kickoff on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Buccaneers game at FedExField on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Buccaneers game at FedExField on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 17, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Tue., Nov. 18, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 19, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 20, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 21, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Br: What's Wrong With Rg3? Medical Experts Say He Needs More Time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 MusicCitySkin

MusicCitySkin

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

I stumbled across this bleacher report article that I feel can shed some light and perspective on what might really be going on with our franchise quarterback.  It suggests that patience is what's needed most right now.

There are several reasons why the Washington Redskins are 0-2, but the one topping everyone's list pertains to Robert Griffin III. The team's sophomore franchise quarterback just hasn't been himself, which shouldn't be surprising considering Griffin is only eight months removed from surgery to repair the ACL and LCL in his right knee.

Griffin hasn't been the dual threat we're used to, but he has struggled as a pocket passer too, despite facing beatable defenses from Philadelphia and Green Bay.

In order to get a better feel for what's ailing the reigning NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, the Bleacher Report NFC East blog spoke to a handful of medical experts from the United States and Canada, all of whom either specialize in orthopedics, sports medicine or both. That, combined with a study of the tape from the first two weeks, helped us draw some conclusions regarding Griffin's early-season struggles.

http://bleacherrepor...-take-more-time

#2 Glenn X

Glenn X

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

NBC Sports' Rodney Harrison (formerly of the Pats and Chargers) said the same thing about RG3 during the rain-delay of Sunday Night Football's game between the Seahags and Niners.  Harrison brought up his own ACL surgery during his playing days, and said that it took him a long time to not freak out when players would be falling near his legs.  The same is true here.  We (and I put myself in this category) were silly to believe that RG3 could hit the ground running perfectly smoothly after such a major operation.

#3 U C S D SkinsFan

U C S D SkinsFan

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:14 AM

Really good article..*backs off ledge a little*

#4 CGSKINS

CGSKINS

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

Great article bro. Everybody needs to calm down.

#5 MartinC

MartinC

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 10,765 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

I posted this in another thread but I think people confuse the knee being 100% repaired and healthy with Griffin the QB being 100% in football shape and match sharp. It will probably take 3 or 4 weeks for Griffin to get into football shape and shake the rust off in terms of making reads and timing with his receivers. But it normally takes as much as a full year for a player to get the full explosion they had pre injury back after an ACL.

#6 Rex Tomb

Rex Tomb

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:28 AM

My hope is that after the bye week in two weeks, we will see RG3 starting to get quicker and they begin to use him more effectively by rolling him out of the pocket.  For the life of me, I don't understand why we are just keeping him in the pocket given that a simple roll out would help him create better passing lanes.

#7 MartinC

MartinC

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 10,765 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

My hope is that after the bye week in two weeks, we will see RG3 starting to get quicker and they begin to use him more effectively by rolling him out of the pocket.  For the life of me, I don't understand why we are just keeping him in the pocket given that a simple roll out would help him create better passing lanes.

I was watching the backside edge defender against the Packers - on runs away he was just sat waiting for RGIII. Now that might start to change as teams watch our games and see RGIII is not the run threat he was, but right now teams are taking away that roll out. We need to move the throwing point but that might need some rolling pockets and something more creative than a simple boot off the stretch play.

#8 skins island connection

skins island connection

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

Well, RGIII should have kept his mouth shut, instead of getting in front of mics stating he's 100% ready and eager.

Its obvious he's not.  Egos are like cookie jars; dip your hand in it once, and its so easy to keep doing it, til you're caught.

Or something to that effect; its early!

#9 SWFLSkins

SWFLSkins

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 18,840 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

When I saw BR I really didn't want to click on the link but curiosity got me and I will say this is the best article I have ever read Redskins related on BR. (that's not saying much, but this was well written.) There were actual Dr. quoted, and of course a couple jabs but overall it stands as solid. 

#10 Gibbs Hog Heaven

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 22,208 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

Well, RGIII should have kept his mouth shut, instead of getting in front of mics stating he's 100% ready and eager.

Its obvious he's not.  Egos are like cookie jars; dip your hand in it once, and its so easy to keep doing it, til you're caught.

Something you'd like to confess Mr 'I don't even like cookies. HONEST!' ?

*Completely and utterly agree on the ego.

Hail 

#11 justice98

justice98

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,437 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

NBC Sports' Rodney Harrison (formerly of the Pats and Chargers) said the same thing about RG3 during the rain-delay of Sunday Night Football's game between the Seahags and Niners.  Harrison brought up his own ACL surgery during his playing days, and said that it took him a long time to not freak out when players would be falling near his legs.  The same is true here.  We (and I put myself in this category) were silly to believe that RG3 could hit the ground running perfectly smoothly after such a major operation.

Us?  What about him and the coaching staff?  lol   We're allowed to think silly stuff like that, they should know better.

#12 pointyfootball

pointyfootball

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

AP set the bar, which is truly impossible for returning to action from an ACL reconstruction, IMO.  Maybe the strength of his quads/hams presurgery helped him recover faster, but that truly was a miracle recovery.  Griffin most likely won't be back to form until late this season at the earliest, most likely not until next season.  All the rehab & technology in the world doesn't overcome the issue that your body just needs a lot of time not only for physical recovery, but the mental as well.

#13 TheGreek1973

TheGreek1973

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

RGIII had a commercial out I believe "all in for week one" with Adidas.  This is where both Mike and Synder should have stepped in and had a serious talk to the young man.  Also many of us have said he should never have started this season, not until the bye.  But all the hype and talk made it essential he starts. Big mistake.  Andrews did say he is healthy but has reservations.  All this point to the fact that RGIII's ego cornered him and he had to be out there.

lets not forget also where GB and the Eagles D ranks.  They are just about the easiest Ds to play against.  I am afraid this is not over people, I think this will continue to be an issue at least until the bye, or so we can hope.

Now AP remember was totally average thru the first 6 games, so I do believe RGIII will get his feet under him by the 6th to 8th game.  By that time we might be 1-5 however.  personally I have already given up on this season and I pray RGIII plays it out and gets his old self back without any injuries.  next year with the cap back we might be ready.  

Edited by TheGreek1973, 18 September 2013 - 07:26 AM.

#14 MustangSteve

MustangSteve

The Heavy Hitter

• Banned
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Add me to that list too. Now we all know that this is going to take some time, but the main question is how much time? How many games are we going to sacrifice trying to get Griffin back to full speed and confident. Are we going to watch the division and playoffs slip away while we have a good back up QB who is capable of leading this team to victory? Do fans and coaches even realize this team could easily be 0-6 before RG3 is fully ready to go and even when healthy our defense could give away too many points for any QB to over come. Damn it what happened to that NFC East Champion team we were all expecting to torch the NFL in 2013? Somebody needs to pay for this and I say destroy Mara!

Edited by MustangSteve, 18 September 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#15 justice98

justice98

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,437 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

Add me to that list too. Now we all know that this is going to take some time, but the main question is how much time? How many games are we going to sacrifice trying to get Griffin back to full speed and confident. Are we going to watch the division and playoffs slip away while we have a good back up QB who is capable of leading this team to victory sits on the bench? Do fans and coaches even realize this team could easily be 0-6 before RG3 is fully ready to go and even when healthy our defense could give away too many points for any QB to over come. Damn it what happened to that NFC East Champion team we were all expecting to torch the NFL in 2013? 

It'll be interesting to see if that scenario plays out.  When the patience runs out after the season goes in the tank while he's getting himself together.

#16 TheGreek1973

TheGreek1973

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

MustangSteve I couldn't agree with you more.  Some of us were rediculed for even suggesting Cousins starts the first 4 games of the season.  What you and I (and many are saying) is this.  Why take the chance?  he is not himself.  This is the TEAM Washington Redskins not the RGIII show.  We love  him and because of that we want him to be our QB for the next 10 years.  In such a case why is he in there if he is not confident, himself, etc.  Do we really care if we toss this season in order to insure this kid will be our QB for then next 10 years.  And having said that are we really throwing in the towel this year by starting Cousins?  I don't think so or at least we don't know.  What we do know however is we are risking RGIII right now for no good reason.  

#17 StephenDavis

StephenDavis

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

I disagree.  His knee ligaments are 100%.  Just not his confidence.  The ONLY way he gets his confidence back is being out on the field in real time game action.  If he were to sit out the entire season this whole process would start exactly where it is right now next year and we would be griping then.  Kirk Cousins would maybe get us a few more wins this season, though with our defense that may not be true.  But these games are rehab for RGIII.  Not knee rehab but mind rehab.

#18 MartinC

MartinC

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 10,765 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

MustangSteve I couldn't agree with you more.  Some of us were rediculed for even suggesting Cousins starts the first 4 games of the season.  What you and I (and many are saying) is this.  Why take the chance?  he is not himself.  This is the TEAM Washington Redskins not the RGIII show.  We love  him and because of that we want him to be our QB for the next 10 years.  In such a case why is he in there if he is not confident, himself, etc.  Do we really care if we toss this season in order to insure this kid will be our QB for then next 10 years.  And having said that are we really throwing in the towel this year by starting Cousins?  I don't think so or at least we don't know.  What we do know however is we are risking RGIII right now for no good reason.  

Again I think people are getting lost in the difference between being 100% healthy from a medical perspective and being 100% in football shape and game sharp. I think he is 100% in terms of the knee structurally - its not going to get any better in the next 3 or 4 weeks anyway - but it might take a full year to get the explosion back he had before, thats quite normal for an athlete coming off an ACL.

However the only way he gets in football shape and game sharp is by playing. So my view is if you sit him for the first 4 weeks you don't gain anything in terms of the soundness of his knee and you still would have to see RGIII take time to get game sharp and in football shape once he did start.

If his knee is 100% (whatever that actually means) and he is medically cleared to play starting him week 1 was absolutely the right decision IMO. 

What you need is the other facets of the team to operate at high level to give him time to knock the rust off and keep you competitive but we have seen the defense collapse, special teams be awful and the running game sputter with fumbles, holding calls and missed blocks. The way the team has a whole as played it would not matter who was at QB and it will continue not to matter unless we get a lot better across the board and quickly.

Edited by MartinC, 18 September 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#19 justice98

justice98

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,437 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

I disagree.  His knee ligaments are 100%.  Just not his confidence.  The ONLY way he gets his confidence back is being out on the field in real time game action.  If he were to sit out the entire season this whole process would start exactly where it is right now next year and we would be griping then.  Kirk Cousins would maybe get us a few more wins this season, though with our defense that may not be true.  But these games are rehab for RGIII.  Not knee rehab but mind rehab.

I always question the "100%" diagnosis if he still HAS to wear the brace.  If he's wearing it by choice for comfort and peace of mind, that's one thing.  But I got the impression he's wearing it under medical orders, which to me implies it's still in some sort of danger.  

#20 VeroViper

VeroViper

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

A great example is Chris Paul, CP3. I remember watching him after he returned from his ACL surgery. Remember thinking, wow he's a shell of his former self. He just didn't have the same burst & quickness. It came back though. By the next season he looked just like the CP3 we all remembered. Griffin will get there too.

#21 maxiumone

maxiumone

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

AP set the bar, which is truly impossible for returning to action from an ACL reconstruction, IMO.  Maybe the strength of his quads/hams presurgery helped him recover faster, but that truly was a miracle recovery.  Griffin most likely won't be back to form until late this season at the earliest, most likely not until next season.  All the rehab & technology in the world doesn't overcome the issue that your body just needs a lot of time not only for physical recovery, but the mental as well.

That is just it AP was VERY pedestrian in his first 6 games with only (1) game over 100 yards.  And 5 of those teams defense were not all world, hell he only had 79 yards week 6 against the Skins.  He recovery seemed all world because by the end of the season he was killing teams.  Hell he ran for almost 1600 yards in the last 10 games of the season.   Give it time hopefully the progression for RGIII will be the same.  And I think the mental part you mention might be the biggest issue

#22 mistertim

mistertim

The Pro Bowlers

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

Agree with MartinC on his points.

Assuming the knee is as medically sound and healed as it can be, you absolutely have to let him play through this and get his game back. Sitting him the first 4 weeks would be pretty much pointless since he would still have to go through the same thing after those 4 weeks; it's just delaying the inevitable at that point. Same thing with benching him; all it would do is set him back. You have to let him play and take the lumps that will come with him not being himself yet as a player. In these situations you'd hope other facets of the team would be able to shine and take up some of the slack...no such luck; our D has been downright atrocious and special teams has been completely lackluster as well. If people are going to use the AP model then you need to give him 5-6 games at least and see if he is looking more comfortable and more like the old RG3 after that.

#23 RandyHolt

RandyHolt

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

Sports athletes have been playing with injuries, through injuries, and coming back from injuries at less than 100%, since sports where first played.  No new news here.

A bleacher report on RG3... can it get any lower.

#24 Momma There Goes That Man

Momma There Goes That Man

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,450 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

It'll be interesting to see if that scenario plays out.  When the patience runs out after the season goes in the tank while he's getting himself together.

If the team is committed to him then it isn't in issue. He is their franchise QB and has to get his game speed back against live competition. Sitting him until the bye week wouldn't have helped because he wouldn't have gotten the full reps in practice and then once he came back, he still wouldn't have his timing with WRs down or his confidence going against full speed defenses trying to crush him.

Doesn't make sense. 

Assuming the knee is as medically sound and healed as it can be, you absolutely have to let him play through this and get his game back. Sitting him the first 4 weeks would be pretty much pointless since he would still have to go through the same thing after those 4 weeks; it's just delaying the inevitable at that point. Same thing with benching him; all it would do is set him back. You have to let him play and take the lumps that will come with him not being himself yet as a player. In these situations you'd hope other facets of the team would be able to shine and take up some of the slack...no such luck; our D has been downright atrocious and special teams has been completely lackluster as well. If people are going to use the AP model then you need to give him 5-6 games at least and see if he is looking more comfortable and more like the old RG3 after that.

Exactly what I was trying to say. 

#25 GoDeep81

GoDeep81

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

AP set the bar, which is truly impossible for returning to action from an ACL reconstruction, IMO.  Maybe the strength of his quads/hams presurgery helped him recover faster, but that truly was a miracle recovery. 

Also, I don't think AP was coming off a second surgery on the same knee? -AND- RGIII played weeks SOONER than AP did.. Just isn't humanly possible to be 100% in that time frame, under those circumstances, imo..

We just all believe RGIII is larger than life and believed him when he said he was ready to go full speed.. Who could blame us? Look at his work ethic, his drive, his skill level, his demeanor.. The kids a rock star! He'll be fine, just gonna take time..

#26 TD Riggo

TD Riggo

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

Great article bro. Everybody needs to calm down.

I bet GHH and kleese will ignore that suggestion. :rolleyes:

#27 MartinC

MartinC

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 10,765 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

We may have to get you some sort of 6 month ban from posting, because watching that video in your signature just makes it very very clear what we are missing!

#28 TD_washingtonredskins

TD_washingtonredskins

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 23,863 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

I posted this in another thread but I think people confuse the knee being 100% repaired and healthy with Griffin the QB being 100% in football shape and match sharp. It will probably take 3 or 4 weeks for Griffin to get into football shape and shake the rust off in terms of making reads and timing with his receivers. But it normally takes as much as a full year for a player to get the full explosion they had pre injury back after an ACL.

I tried to make that distinction all off-season. To me, the fact that he's out there only proves that he's medically ready...meaning he's not at any higher than normal risk to re-injure himself. I think being 100% effective is a personal thing and could take any amount of time. He might not look like pre-Baltimore until after the bye, week 1 of 2014, or ever. No one really knows. I do think it's very likely that he'll only look more and more comfortable as he plays on it.

Us?  What about him and the coaching staff?  lol   We're allowed to think silly stuff like that, they should know better.

It doesn't mean that he shouldn't be playing. He has to go through this process. Personally, I think it's best for the team and organization that he get through it as soon as possible. If Cousins played until the bye or until week 8, Griffin would just start this process later.

That is just it AP was VERY pedestrian in his first 6 games with only (1) game over 100 yards.  And 5 of those teams defense were not all world, hell he only had 79 yards week 6 against the Skins.  He recovery seemed all world because by the end of the season he was killing teams.  Hell he ran for almost 1600 yards in the last 10 games of the season.   Give it time hopefully the progression for RGIII will be the same.  And I think the mental part you mention might be the biggest issue

Yes, he averaged 4.4 yards per carry (not bad, mind you, but nothing special) and just 83 yards per game over his first 6. He also scored only twice in those games.

#29 thesubmittedone

thesubmittedone

The Pro Bowlers

• Members
  • 8,407 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

Great article. Put into words what a lot of us have been trying to say. 

And who else cracked up when they saw this pic? 

rgpack9_original.jpg?1379397140

Look at Trent in the background. Just awesome. 

#30 Boss_Hogg

Boss_Hogg

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 14,118 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

So I guess you prefer the Jay Cutler "Emo" approach?

They're still mad the Colts took that doofy looking caveman from Standford instead of RGIII.

#31 justice98

justice98

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,437 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

If the team is committed to him then it isn't in issue. He is their franchise QB and has to get his game speed back against live competition. Sitting him until the bye week wouldn't have helped because he wouldn't have gotten the full reps in practice and then once he came back, he still wouldn't have his timing with WRs down or his confidence going against full speed defenses trying to crush him.

Doesn't make sense. 

I'm talking about patience with the fans, I'm sure the team is more understanding, they don't have a choice.  But we're two games in and people are freaking out already.  lol  Expectations weren't that he was going to struggle like this.  I think, for the most part, people bought into the hype on his recovery.  People were predicting another playoff team as long as he played, if things don't get better fast enough, I don't see the response being quite so calm and rational as what you say if he continues to struggle. Understanding that's what he has to go through doesn't make it go down any easier losing game after game.  Particularly given the predictions coming into the season.  I don't recall too many 6-10 type season predictions out there.  Not that the season's over after two games, I'm just saying, that likelihood is as equally possible as 10-6.  I don't see 10-4 the rest of the way happening with this squad.    

#32 TD_washingtonredskins

TD_washingtonredskins

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 23,863 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'm talking about patience with the fans, I'm sure the team is more understanding, they don't have a choice.  But we're two games in and people are freaking out already.  lol  Expectations weren't that he was going to struggle like this.  I think, for the most part, people bought into the hype on his recovery.  People were predicting another playoff team as long as he played, if things don't get better fast enough, I don't see the response being quite so calm and rational as what you say if he continues to struggle. Understanding that's what he has to go through doesn't make it go down any easier losing game after game.  Particularly given the predictions coming into the season.  I don't recall too many 6-10 type season predictions out there.  Not that the season's over after two games, I'm just saying, that likelihood is as equally possible as 10-6.  I don't see 10-4 the rest of the way happening with this squad.    

A 10-4 run against this schedule is very unlikely!

I predicted 9-7 when I was buying into Griffin's "All In" campaign. So, I was on the conservative side to begin with. At this point, I think 6 wins is pretty reasonable. Given the schedule, Griffin's recovery from injury, and the impact of the cap penalty...I don't believe that record to be a huge concern in the big picture.

#33 RiverboatGambler

RiverboatGambler

The Role Player

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

A 10-4 run against this schedule is very unlikely!

I predicted 9-7 when I was buying into Griffin's "All In" campaign. So, I was on the conservative side to begin with. At this point, I think 6 wins is pretty reasonable. Given the schedule, Griffin's recovery from injury, and the impact of the cap penalty...I don't believe that record to be a huge concern in the big picture.

A reasonable post... Thank you. 6 or 7 wins is attainable and should suprise no one. We were 3-6 last year before the bye. Good teams don't do that. The stretch run was an outlier and we are simply regressing to the mean. Another season to get 10 fully up to speed and to get some pieces on both side of the ball will help us to be a perennial 9-11 win team and a yearly playoff contender in the intermediate and long run. 

Edited by RiverboatGambler, 18 September 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#34 WhoRUSupposed2Be

WhoRUSupposed2Be

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

We may have to get you some sort of 6 month ban from posting, because watching that video in your signature just makes it very very clear what we are missing!

I still don't know how he made that play lol.

A reasonable post... Thank you. 6 or 7 wins is attainable and should suprise no one. We were 3-6 last year before the bye. Good teams don't do that. The stretch run was an outlier and we are simply regressing to the mean. Another season to get 10 fully up to speed and to get some pieces on both side of the ball will help us to be a perennial 9-11 win team and a yearly playoff contender in the intermediate and long run. 

It's still early so let's not set ourselves up for abject failure just yet... one game at a time with some type of loosening beverage to go along for the ride. ;)

#35 RedskinsInFebruary

RedskinsInFebruary

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

I love our guys, their character, and their effort, but I think Griffin's "confidence" would return a lot faster if we had a more dominant OL. 

#36 mistertim

mistertim

The Pro Bowlers

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

I say the Skins should invest heavily in cloning technology and make 5 Trents for our OL. 

#37 skins island connection

skins island connection

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

What happens if he is too over-reactive to pressure and dumps the ball off way before anyone has a chance to hit him? He will be skittish forever.  We've all seen QBs who are antsy and go into something short of short term panic by getting rid of the ball. If RGIII is too focused on anyone getting remotely close to his legs much less coming off the edge, he's gonna throw it, and unless its a quick slant, its doubtful he will be able to step into it for fear of taking that extra second to plant. Permanent nerves...

#38 NoCalMike

NoCalMike

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 13,216 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

I don't think The Shanahans didn't know what we are seeing now wasn't coming. It's not like they have never coached players coming back from reconstructive surgery before.  They aren't stupid, and they saw RGIII at practice. It's not like RGIII was running like 2012 in practice, then suddenly was slow in the games.

It's the media and the fans (not all of us) that had delusions of what RGIII would look like at the onset of his return.

The fact he is, he needs to work his way back to his old-self with game time.  Sitting him does nothing to help strengthen his knee nor help him work off the natural mental fear of re-injury that happens.

If you aren't willing to take some losses in the short term in order to setup this franchise up for a long prosperous future, then I am not sure what to say.

#39 RiverboatGambler

RiverboatGambler

The Role Player

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

What happens if he is too over-reactive to pressure and dumps the ball off way before anyone has a chance to hit him? He will be skittish forever.  We've all seen QBs who are antsy and go into something short of short term panic by getting rid of the ball. If RGIII is too focused on anyone getting remotely close to his legs much less coming off the edge, he's gonna throw it, and unless its a quick slant, its doubtful he will be able to step into it for fear of taking that extra second to plant. Permanent nerves...

TWO GAMES OMG ITZ PERMANENT PULL THE PLUG BENCH HIM NAO!

lol.

#40 NoCalMike

NoCalMike

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 13,216 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

People are projecting their own delusions onto the coaches.

"We were fooled, so it must mean the coaches were too"

Tell me, when AP came back from surgery and didn't look like the same beast in the first month of games, did the coach bench him because he didn't look like his old self? Or did he ride it out let him build himself back up with reps and slowly watch him regain his form?

The doctor knew this was coming, the coaches knew this was coming, some of the fanbase did.

The ones who didn't, and buried their heads in the sand, are now frantically trying to reconcile their delusions and looking to blame someone when there is no blame for the situation at hand.