Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marvel's Agents Of S.h.i.e.l.d- Offical Thread

88Comrade2000

Yeah, I saw a trailer for it, and the trailer at least showed a lot of promise.

The review that 2000 linked matches what I was hoping for: that its about characters. (That IS why we like comic book shows, isn't it? The characters. The one-liners.).

(One that I liked from the previews:

"What does S.H.I.E.L.D stand for, Agent?"

"(I don't remember, myself. Homeland intelligence logistics something-or-other)"

"What does that mean, to you?"

"That somebody really wanted our initials to be SHIELD."

To me, it's the little things that have made the movies so entertaining. Hulk punching Thor, during a lull in the fighting. Those things.

Loved the premiere.  The show definitely has potential and they really don't need to bring in the Marvel clan.

Spoilers

They revealed why Agent Coulson is alive or did they?   I think he's a clone.

Heck, I was too lazy to change the channel and ended up watching the premiere of "The Goldbergs".  Brought back some 80's memories.

I liked it.. Coulson and the other agent.. both have been "to Tahiti"...

My question.. they spent the first five minutes tying it into the Marvel movie universe... are they ever going to acknowledge Spider-Man?

~Bang

I think some other studio owns the Spider-Man movie rights. 

I enjoyed the show. Like the directions it could go. The little comments about cosplay groupies outside Stark Tower, or how the World Ended......and this is the new world talking about New York. Very cool.

I imagine you'll see Sam Jackson do a cameo or two per season. But they way they set it up with Coulsen having freedom to choose their missions. That's clever.

The comment about cleaning up NYC after the battle would have been cooler if somebody mentioned Damage Control.

29210-4350-32461-1-damage-control.jpg

My question.. they spent the first five minutes tying it into the Marvel movie universe... are they ever going to acknowledge Spider-Man?

Well, they did throw in an obvious Spiderman reference in one of their jokes. I think that's the best they can do for now.

I'd really love for the powers that be to come to some sort of deal so we can have some cameos.

I would certainly assume that cameos and tie-ins will come.  (I have no doubt that Disney executives are salivating at the thoughts of how much publicity they can get out of it, right now.) 

But I also assume that they'll be rationed.  For several reasons. 

One is money.  Guest appearances by Sam Jackson or Chris Hemsworth or Robert Downey Jr cost money. 

Another is focus.  In theory, the show is supposed to be about the agents.  About a team of ordinary people (with the power of a really powerful agency, behind them). 

You think it's a coincidence that they scheduled the show opposite NCIS? 

They want the agents to become colorful characters, in their own rights. 

I would certainly assume that cameos and tie-ins will come.  (I have no doubt that Disney executives are salivating at the thoughts of how much publicity they can get out of it, right now.) 

But I also assume that they'll be rationed.  For several reasons. 

One is money.  Guest appearances by Sam Jackson or Chris Hemsworth or Robert Downey Jr cost money. 

Another is focus.  In theory, the show is supposed to be about the agents.  About a team of ordinary people (with the power of a really powerful agency, behind them). 

You think it's a coincidence that they scheduled the show opposite NCIS? 

They want the agents to become colorful characters, in their own rights. 

Yes, but I thought we were talking specifically about even just being able to MENTION characters outside the 'Marvel Cinematic Universe', such as Spiderman. I don't think the show is allowed to do that at the moment.

Yes, but I thought we were talking specifically about even just being able to MENTION characters outside the 'Marvel Cinematic Universe', such as Spiderman. I don't think the show is allowed to do that at the moment.

Oh, no doubt it depends on various contractual language.

For example, as I understand it, when Disney bought Marvel, Universal Orlando had a contract stating that they had exclusive rights to use Marvel characters in amusement park rides, east of the Mississippi, for like 99 years. (I don't know if that's all Marvel characters, or just the specific ones they've used, which I think are Hulk and Spidey.)

There will never be a Spiderman ride at Disney Florida. But Disney can, and does, sell Marvel t-shirts there. 

But I doubt that any such contract would mean that The Avengers aren't allowed to mention that Spiderman exists.

(Well, I could see that maybe Marvel simply has a rule that says that Spiderman and Thor don't exist in the same Universe, for continuity reasons or some such.)

But I can't see Marvel giving Sony a contract that states that no other Marvel property is allowed to mention Spiderman. For one thing, Sony would never demand such a clause, because mentioning Spiderman makes Sony's Spiderman movies more valuable.

I thought it was just so so and already looks like Alphas if they follow the theme of acquiring super-powers "outcasts" or "loners" to a team and fight such. The opening effects of the building in flames and the hover-car was pretty cheesy for a big budget premier, and being "amped" up via the centipede wasn't very convincing or interesting, and there was more but I don't want to be nit picky.

Too much of the feel was like junior high school level "super power stuffs", not not the superior credible adult fantasy (IMO) I like form Josh Whedon. Don't care for the "male model" lead super-agent so far, but do like the May character, Clark of course, and I heart Smulders in that role (hope it becomes permanent if the series hits and her other one is in its final season I believe).

What I hope to see is A.I.M. playing a major role (hoping for Modok or The Leader---lots of tie-in possibilities there, for sure) and Hydra's legacy explored, and just a lot of SHIELD. I hope for notably less of any "Alphas" direction (rounding up/discovering super powered people every other week) since I am well worn on everything from The 600 (or however many it was) and Heros (and that disappointment) to the other half-dozen series in the last decade that made a secretive group of special-powered humans fighting both world-class villains and various forms of social persecution/injustice (and inevitably, each other) their theme. Also, like many, I figured Colson was a LMD (I considered that in the movie when he "died") and the "Tahiti" stuff sort of reinforces that---"he can never know." But we'll see, maybe he was just never really killed. 

Another direction I could see interesting is SHIELD's operations running into the turf of lesser TV/movie-featured Marvel mainstays---like Namor (who I'd have put in the next Avengers were it me) or the Mole Man, whose "territory" could easily be tied to a SHIELD presence. Similarly, characters from the future/past or alien civilizations (Kang, Rama Tut (same guy of course), the time-hopping X-men characters, Kree, Skrull, etc) make for potentially logical encounters via the advanced technology link of all involved as well as SHIELD's "mission statement" (as presented in the show).

I'll give it time, but there are so many good shows piled up on Monday &Tuesdays by all the networks that if this were really indicative of what's to follow (I have no reason to assume one way or the other), it will be "watch later" in about the middle of the list.

Anyone else catch the Journey Into Mystery line? :)

I remember buying Journey and Tales To Astonish when new, seeing the first appearances of what was to be Marvel (Timely was already gone when I stated buying) and sold them with much of my collection in the mid-80's. The old Jack Kirby drawing monsters, aliens, and hi-tech is so epic. He and Steranko were two of my earlier stylistic favorites.

Archived