Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Well its a new year and a new draft thread. I've been a little away from the draft scene lately, but I figured for everyone else this would be a great place to still discuss the NFL Draft throughout the CFB Season. 

Guys I'm watching this year?

Cyril Richardson G Baylor

James Hurst OT UNC

Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M

Jeff Mathews QB Cornell(STUD)

Well guys take it away 

Justin 

Looking at ourselves, and my Sooners, Gabe Ikard is an interior linemen to watch this year. If he keeps on developing he could be the next first round OL out of Norman. Real solid, well rounded guy who could make a great centre in this league. Aaron Colvin is also making waves at corner. Tall, physical, great in man coverage and quick. The only other one I'd mark down is Jalen Saunders who has the potential with his speed and athleticism, not to mention his toughness and great hands, to be a real good slot guy in the pros ala Broyles who most of y'all slept on a year back despite my best efforts, lol. . Watch him step up in Detroit's O this year. 

Cheers J. Love this ES staple. 

Hail. 

M4TH

Aug. 2013

Who You Should Know : A Series

Greg Hardin

DGLGQIPQGCKJEJW.20120920183437.jpg

An extremely underrated, off the radar WR for 2014, is University of North Dakota's Greg Hardin. I covered him occasionally during the 2013 version of the Comprehensive.

Raised in Nebraska, wears #84, he projects as a multi-use Z and Y. Size wise you'll want to place him as an interior Slot but he really seems to have crossover ability to play outside.

The Basics:

• Good tracking
  • Good speed, not great
  • Good stride - a relatively long stride helps since he's not the tallest
  • Alright hands - will use the body, but has good body adjustment on the ball in air

Hardin garners first team All-Big Sky honors - UNDSports.com: Official Web Site of University of North Dakota Athletics

Hardin garners first team All-Big Sky honors

Hardin put together a historic junior season in what was UND’s first as a Big Sky member.

The Bellevue, Neb., native led the league in all-purpose yards with 1,668 yards and ranked second in receiving yards with 1,145 (eighth in the FCS). He was also tops in the league with 15 total touchdowns, 14 being receiving touchdowns.

His 333-yard receiving effort against Montana broke the Big Sky single-game record as he finished with five 100-yard receiving games on the season.

As a kick returner, he averaged 31.6 yards per return and  ran one back 98 yards for a touchdown in a win over Southern Utah.

Stats:
Football | NCAA | Player Stats - Greg Hardin - North Dakota - washingtonpost.com
__

Greg Hardin, North Dakota, Junior, Wide Receiver, 5-11, 170, Bellevue, Nebraska.

Hardin set a Big Sky single-game record with 333 receiving yards in  North Dakota ’s 40-34 victory Montana. Hardin caught 12 passes, three for touchdowns.

His final catch resulted in the game-winning touchdown with 12 seconds left. The 333 receiving yards eclipsed the previous Big Sky record of 315.

The 333 yards ranks fourth all-time in FCS history. Hardin finished the game with 420 all-purpose yards, the second-most ever in Big Sky history, and tied for the 10th most in FCS history.

Hardin’s 333 receiving yards are the most in any Division I game this season season, as are his 420 all-purpose yards. Hardin’s touchdowns went for 39, 43 and 32 yards. His longest catch went for 81 yards.

__

Team Profile:

#84 Greg Hardin - UNDSports.com: Official Web Site of University of North Dakota Athletics

2012 (Junior): Named to the Sports Network All-America Third Team and All-Big Sky First Team

2011 (Sophomore): Earned All-Great West first team

2010 (Redshirt Freshman): Named All-Great West second team

Check out this smile:
SGZMMCPRNRZNLVK.20110719221550.jpg
__

YEAR    GP-GS    ATT    YDS    AVG    TD    LONG  //    REC    YDS    AVG    TD    LONG
2010    10-9     9      78     8.7    1     63   //     41     736    18.0    9    85
2011     9-9     1      4      4.0    0     4    //     43     549    12.8    3    54
2012    11-10    3      17     5.7    0     9    //     65     1145   17.6    14   81
TOTAL   30-28    13     99     7.6    1     63   //     149    2430   16.3    26   85

Comparison:

I have no earthly reason why I think this, but he gives me a Laird Hamilton vibe ... whatever that's worth. I guess it's because he seems fearless.

I think identifying positions is always a good place to start at least in the early preliminary focus. I'm looking at interior LB and defensive lineman, with potentially another "gem" OLB.

I know that offensive line, like RT will probably have a thorough look see as well. However, to me, in many ways, the absence of the 2014 1st round selection dampens that tackle outlook.

Right now my long range look is toward free agency, specific to tackle. And that's of course dependent on whether there is a continued want for upgrade at that position.There's always a chance someone steps up and owns the position this year.

But if I had one name to toss out for an early-on free agency jibba-jabba, it would be Jared Veldheer.

Despite the recent triceps injury, that man would be an absolute bookend for the line. I know triceps have a way of lingering and reoccurring, especially as age sets in but at least it's not a knee or shoulder or back. Additionally you couldn't find a better guy, more straightforward and well spoken player, a character guy through and through.

So, yeah, Veldheer - since apparently we'll have some money to spend.

Let's just avoid Sir Digby Chicken Caesar's budget of getting "pissed for under a Fiver,"

let's actually spend for something important - the safety of the QB.

Uhm, but briefly, that brings me to what I started with - ILB and D-Line.

It's no secret that I really like Will Sutton. I think he's a Joker extraordinaire, able to play multiple positions and infuse scheme diverse play all around. He the kind-of player I could see seattle going after.

Sutton's size is basically what we have our OLBs play at, weight-wise, but recently I read that he's up toward 290 now ... not bad, just as long as he hasn't lost his good quicks for his size. He could be a Joker pass rusher from all alignemenst along the d-line. But I see him just as likely to play at 3 Tech as he could line up at OLB, even stack inside and either drop into coverage or (likely) be used on some A-Gap blitzes. I mean you could line him up off-center to the Nose on passing situations, or line him up at the 5-Tech to get some havoc going while overloading his side with Blitz pressure or drop him in coverage ... whatever.

He's the kind of utility guy that makes sense to any defense that wants pressure either by way of confusion or outright winning individual matchups.

Another trend I've noticed in the Redskins draft tendencies has been their fondness of 4-3 ILBs. If not totally 4-3 maturated college LBs then those predominantly playing in a 4-3 end up being drafted or brought here. Guys like Riley and Robinson both came from 4-3s. Of course we converted 4-3 DEs to play OLB. Maybe that's just me seeing that trend.

So if I had to guess, early-on, about interior LBs, I'd look at productive, physical guys playing in a 4-3, who either exhibit gap control or downright smooth slide skills and play recognition.

Andrew Jackson of Western Kentucky is one of the guys getting alot of praise as a pure MLB, whether it be 4-3 or 3-4. He's got what you call instincts.

Anyway for LB, I do have a fondness for U of Houston LBs. For whatever reason
I just love their productivity despite not being the most physically imposing. That means Derrick Matthews.

__

But let me just reset a few things from the 2013 Comprehensive:

Khalil Mack    <---- ES 2013 Comprehensive Post.

I know we've covered Andrew Jackson before but Mack is incredibly good. Both Sutton and Mack are likely looking at 1st round consideration but we could hope for a 2nd round slide on either.

I would gladly grab either or both.

Here is the HTTR-24/7: Mack Player Profile.

Intro:

A recent article on Mack, Gil Brandt praise:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000232699/article/buffalo-lb-khalil-mack-continues-to-draw-raves-from-nfl-scouts

I've been waiting for this thread for awhile. Always the best thread on the forums.

I think ILB will be a large need next year, and two of my favorites, Kyle Van Noy and Ryan Shazier seem to be moving up boards. Both could use a bit more weight, but I'm not overly concerned as long as they are above 230. I especially like Shazier, one of the most violent hitters at linebacker that I've seen. He is the only returning member of the OSU front 7, and he's a bit undersized, so I kinda hope that puts him into our draft range.

Also really liked Hageman last year but it seems like his stock has gone through the roof. I've seen him rated as highly as the 2nd round now. Perfect DE to mold for us but I'd rather he was a late round pick. He is just so raw, no real pass rushing moves and does not maintain his balance that well.

I really want us to draft 3-4 DE Stephon Tuitt 6'6 310 Nortre Dame somehow. He is as explosive as they come at that size and had 13 sacks last year !

Actually that's one of his negatives. He's a technician and has an endless motor but he doesn't have great first step quickness (also note he has 2 tfl in his career that weren't sacks). I'd also note his stat line against the 3 best teams he faced last year (oklahoma, USC, and alabama): he had a total of 8 tackles in 3 games with 0 sacks, 0 tfl, and 0 qb pressures.

That lack of quickness could be great though as 4-3 teams will likely pass on him and he may fall during the draft. I like him as a DE for us, but I don't think he'll be a monster pass rusher. He will, however, play sound football and limit gains, but maybe not make big splash plays in the backfield.

Since we will eventually trade Cousins, who is on board the Logan Thomas as RG3's backup train?

<-----That's right, this guy

I'm intrigued by Thomas to be sure, but right now he is an awful qb. He was the 8th best qb in the 12 team ACC (a division that has been awful at qb since Matt Ryan and, briefly, Russell Wilson), and literally only beat out a run-first maryland and georgia tech, and awful qbs in BC and Wake.

Did everybody feel this way about Logan after 2011 when he looked pretty dang beastly and went into the 12 season as a top QB prospect?

He lost a bunch of offensive talent and had inept offensive coaching and undoubtedly was awful last year. Hes got the tools though and could be a value pick if everyone feels like you all do.

Disclaimer: He lives in my town, went to my HS a few years after I did, taking them to the state title game and now QBs my beloved college team. So I am biased for sure but still...

Archived