On Now
Coming Up
  • Fri., Nov. 14, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:15 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media after practice at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, November 14, 2014.
  • Fri., Nov. 14, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Buccaneers kickoff on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Buccaneers game at FedExField on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Buccaneers game at FedExField on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 17, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Tue., Nov. 18, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 19, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 20, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 21, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Photo

Did Robin Thicke's "blurred Lines" Steal From Marvin Gaye's Got To Give It Up?" You Be The Judge.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 DM72

DM72

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDUC1LUXSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRcVQDELAd4

If you didn't know, Robin Thicke is suing the relatives of Marvin Gaye BEFORE they take him to court for copyright infringement.

The first time I heard blurred Lines, the first thing I thought was that "this is a modern take on "Got To Give It Up."

Edited by DM72, 20 August 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#2 NoCalMike

NoCalMike

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 12,954 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

What is the grounds of Thicke's lawsuit, slander?

It definitely sounds close, and "in the same spirit" as Got to Give It Up.

The question is how close/far do the two songs/melodies need to be to justify infringement.

With modern pop music so many different writers, composers, consultants etc etc etc go into making each song into the finished product you hear on the radio, that it's completely feesible to think that somwhere along the way certain melodies and hooks are being lifted from previous works without giving the proper credit.

Most modern pop music along with other genres are really more "creations" than artistry.  Everything is so fine tuned and refined, along with mass-adveritised that of course it is going to succeed.

And lets not forget the new trend of pretending new songs/albums have been "leaked" in order to manufacture buzzed ahead of time.

#3 MLSKINS

MLSKINS

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

A friend of mine was a DJ on Fox 5 a couple of weeks ago, and he was mixing the two songs together. I had heard Blurred Lines a good amount of times before that. It wasn't until that morning, when he mixed the two songs, that I realized just how much alike they sounded.

But I don't think it was Thicke's attention to infringe copyright because why they might sound similar, they are different songs. I don't think any judge would say it is infringement.

#4 DM72

DM72

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

A friend of mine was a DJ on Fox 5 a couple of weeks ago, and he was mixing the two songs together. I had heard Blurred Lines a good amount of times before that. It wasn't until that morning, when he mixed the two songs, that I realized just how much alike they sounded.

But I don't think it was Thicke's attention to infringe copyright because why they might sound similar, they are different songs. I don't think any judge would say it is infringement.

I hear some people say that, but still. Yeah, they're different songs but I didn't think you can take an idea and change it a little bit and make money off of it. It would be like me taking The Mona Lisa and adding a different background and giving her a different hair color and put some glasses on her. Different painting, but you see my point.

#5 The Evil Genius

The Evil Genius

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,595 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Here is some info...

http://www.parade.co...n-gayes-estate/

This “Blurred Lines” case is interesting because its writers are going on the offensive to protect their song. Their six page complaint mentions that the defendants believe their songs “‘feel’ or ‘sound’ the same.” Thicke et al acknowledge that this is exactly the case, that “Blurred Lines” might “feel” or “sound” the same because “the intent in producing ‘Blurred Lines’ was to evoke an era” (that’s the late 1970s for you whippersnappers). They go on to say that their song is “starkly different” from their defendants’ songs, and that “being reminiscent of a ‘sound’ is not copyright infringement.”

So why are they suing? Other than attorneys fees, Thicke et al do not want any money from the Gayes and Bridgeport. Instead, they want the defendants to clearly acknowledge that the current chart topper does not infringe on their works, thus defusing any future threat of litigation. Thicke et al would be able to keep whatever income they generate from their song, which is probably a lot of money based on high volume sales and YouTube ad revenue, as well as licensing opportunities. If they are successful, the plaintiffs will have just saved themselves most of that money and an even greater amount of worry. If not, don’t expect Bridgeport and Gaye family to hold back with a countersuit.

Edited by The Evil Genius, 20 August 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#6 MLSKINS

MLSKINS

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

I hear some people say that, but still. Yeah, they're different songs but I didn't think you can take an idea and change it a little bit and make money off of it. It would be like me taking The Mona Lisa and adding a different background and giving her a different hair color and put some glasses on her. Different painting, but you see my point.

It's different with music though. It's only a certain amount of notes you can play. It's hard to make a song and it doesn't sound like another song.

The way I see it, I see it as if you are knowingly sampling someone's song and they call you out on it, you have to pay up. But I don't think whoever produced this song, was thinking about Marvin Gaye's song. Like I said, I heard Blurred Line's a lot and I never thought about putting the two together. And I love Got to Give it Up. It's probably my third favorite Marvin Gaye song.

#7 DM72

DM72

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

It's different with music though. It's only a certain amount of notes you can play. It's hard to make a song and it doesn't sound like another song.

The way I see it, I see it as if you are knowingly sampling someone's song and they call you out on it, you have to pay up. But I don't think whoever produced this song, was thinking about Marvin Gaye's song. Like I said, I heard Blurred Line's a lot and I never thought about putting the two together. And I love Got to Give it Up. It's probably my third favorite Marvin Gaye song.

Well, Thicke and company did admit to listening to Got To Give It Up in the studio while recording this song.

#8 The Evil Genius

The Evil Genius

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,595 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Their's goes "dun dun dun dunnunun... dun dun dun dununun."

Our's goes "dun dun dun dununun... dun DUN dun dununun".

Edited by The Evil Genius, 20 August 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#9 elkabong82

elkabong82

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 11,895 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

They aren't the same. There is a similarity in Thicke's opening sequence, but shortly after the similarities are gone. This isn't like Ice Ice Baby which clearly used the same beat as Under Pressure.

Besides, there are a lot of songs that would surprise you in their similarity to other songs. There was a comedian who did a bit on it based off the Fibonacci Sequence, though I can't remember who.

#10 MLSKINS

MLSKINS

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Well, Thicke and company did admit to listening to Got To Give It Up in the studio while recording this song.

True that. And they were the ones to sue first. It does seem like a guilty conscious.

Meh, I am a bad person to talk to this about. I believe in sampling just as long as you throw your own twist in it and give credit where credit is due.

Their's goes "dun dun dun dunnunun... dun dun dun dununun."

Our's goes "dun dun dun dununun... dun DUN dun dununun".

Even when I was younger, I knew just how dumb he, Vanilla Ice, sounded in that interview. lol

#11 artmonkforHOF

artmonkforHOF

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Thicke was quoted in MANY interviews saying the insipration for his song was to make a song "that had the groove" of "Got to Give it Up",it's not like it'sa secret or anything.  I like both songs, but don't think they are the same, similar yes but that's about it, both songs make it into my "beats" playlist, along with some George Clinton & Parliment/P-Funk.

I love the fact that he is suing, he is taking the time honored American tradition of suing someone solely to reach a settlement-in hopes that the fear of paying a large legal bill will be big enough to scare someone into settling even if they have not done anything wrong- and stopping it before it can happen, I think it is brilliant.

When a company's only hope of creating new revenue is to sue other companies, it's time to get out of the business, sell all assests to someone else and move on. 

#12 Bliz

Bliz

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

I agree with elkabong.  There is some similarity, but they're not the same.

This isn't a My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine scenario.

#13 BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Blurred Lines pisses me off to no end but I'm siding with Thicke here

#14 Predicto

Predicto

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

I agree with elkabong.  There is some similarity, but they're not the same.

This isn't a My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine scenario.

Which weren't the same either.   That decision was a miscarriage of justice, IMO.

Music is math.   There are a limited number of good combinations, which is why mixing stuff is so easy in the first place.   I suspect that if you programmed every rock song since1980 into a computer, you could find an earlier song that felt the same in one sequence or another.  

And speaking of mixes, time to repost my favorite:

#15 Destino

Destino

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 18,085 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

Either it stole some portion of music exactly or it didnt. Being close doesn't matter. Google "4 chord song" and you'll find a bunch of videos of people playing dozens of songs with the same 4 chords.

Edited by Destino, 20 August 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#16 GhostofSparta

GhostofSparta

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Either it stole some portion of music exactly or it didnt. Being close doesn't matter. Google "4 chord song" and you'll find a bunch of videos of people playing dozens of ones with the same 4 chords.

Here's one of my favorites:

#17 clietas

clietas

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

Only thing that matters is the actual melody of the song. Everything else is pretty much inconsequential. Should be an easy case for Thickes lawyers. Which is why I'm sure he's filing the suit to begin with.

#18 DM72

DM72

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

I hear a lot of people pretty much saying that just about every song sounds like another song.

Hear lies the problem. When THIS many people who listen to Blurred Lines say it immediately made them think about Got to give it up, there's a problem. IMO, to get FULL credit you have to be original. I think Blurred Lines is an updated take on a song that came out in 77.

#19 Kilmer17

Kilmer17

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

#20 Elessar78

Elessar78

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

It's funny that Thicke's song is called Blurred Lines. I won't call Pop Music art, at least not Pop Music these days. But creation/creativity has blurry lines. What's influenced vs copied? Sometimes you create something subconsciously that you didn't realize is so close to something you came across years and years ago. Really good art, the creation of it, happens at a subconscious level.

I like music and won't even pretend to know the whole Lexicon of music out there. I'm still finding songs that I like by a certain band is their rendition of a Bob Dylan classic. He was so prodigious that he's everywhere. 

#21 clietas

clietas

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

That's because one of the first steps in writing a song is deciding what song/songs you want to emulate.

I hear a lot of people pretty much saying that just about every song sounds like another song.

#22 Rocky21

Rocky21

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,416 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

Blurred Lines sounds an awful lot like Got To Give It Up To Me. 

#23 Bliz

Bliz

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

Which weren't the same either.   That decision was a miscarriage of justice, IMO.

The amount awarded was a miscarriage of justice.  I'd agree with that.  But the songs sound a LOT alike.  Didn't Harrison himself admit they were basically the same?

#24 Kosher Ham

Kosher Ham

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Similar, not the same.

I don't like either of the songs though.

#25 DM72

DM72

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

You crazy. Got To Give It Up is the perfect party song.

#26 Fan since a Fetus

Fan since a Fetus

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

Honestly, these things in my opinion are not huge issues.  You can listen to tons of current bands and find them ripping off someone in the past.  All musicians rip off other people whether or not they want to admit it.  I have heard so many musicians say, 'well I don't rip off anyone.'  Ugh, yeah you do.  Sometimes it is not on purpose and sometime it is. 

I've written songs that I thought were great just to realize later that I was ripping off one of my favorite bands without even realizing it. That is really disappointing when you decide that you need to get rid of a piece of music because you identify with it for the wrong reason.

I have not really dove into older more obscure bands until recently.  But, some of the material that I hear from those bands are popping up in music today.  I recognize it more and more.  Better to steal from an obscure unheard of band rather than steal from someone popular. 

All of this suing crap needs to cease, but unfortunately it never will. 

#27 TD_washingtonredskins

TD_washingtonredskins

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

They are certainly similar...but how can you really avoid putting out new music that doesn't have similarities to previous songs?

If nothing else, this will probably do more good than harm for Gaye's song as it will now be listened to by another generation.

Edited by TD_washingtonredskins, 21 August 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#28 Tulane Skins Fan

Tulane Skins Fan

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

I believe the test is a "modicum of creativity."  I don't know what the legal answer will be, but they sounded similar to me.

There was a case not that long ago involving Juvenile and a guy most have probably never heard of named DJ Jubilee

Juvenile won: http://www.freerepub...s/1328329/posts

#29 Jumbo

Jumbo

Ring of Fame

• Moderators
  • 22,599 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

Ah, reminiscent of George Harrison v The Chiffons global controversy.

(My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine)

#30 pjfootballer

pjfootballer

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 28,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

It sounds like a combination of about 4 different songs from the past.  It sounds horrible, but what do I know about "young'ins" music nowadays.  Either way, I think the song stinks.

What about Queen's "Under Pressure" and Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice baby."?

Edited by pjfootballer, 21 August 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#31 WhoRUSupposed2Be

WhoRUSupposed2Be

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

HmmMnn... they sound just alike.

#32 Tulane Skins Fan

Tulane Skins Fan

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

It sounds like a combination of about 4 different songs from the past.  It sounds horrible, but what do I know about "young'ins" music nowadays.  Either way, I think the song stinks.

What about Queen's "Under Pressure" and Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice baby."?

I thought it was David Bowie?

#33 Jumbo

Jumbo

Ring of Fame

• Moderators
  • 22,599 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

I'm unabashed in my pleasure with both tunes. "Blurred" is a great summer cruise tune (I identify with Thicke--a white kid who grew up teething on Motown). And (from my first career) I have a long-lived serious system in my car that I still like to bump.  :D

#34 Sticksboi05

Sticksboi05

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

The guys from BTO went up and told Pete Townshend they ripped off Baba O'Riley for You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet.

#35 Jumbo

Jumbo

Ring of Fame

• Moderators
  • 22,599 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

BTO accusing The Who of ripping them off sounds about as right as Barney Fife accusing Dirty Harry of ripping him off.

#36 STBonecrusher21

STBonecrusher21

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,529 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

For some reason, the Thicke video creeps me out. I think it's the look that they made the girls go with. They went and got a bunch of young girls, and made them look even younger. Like uncomfortably young, and pale. Lol.

As far as the similarities, they had the same vibe goin' on. Could definitely tell that the young guys were trying to capture that. Don't like the Thicke song. But like Marvin's. 

No one can be as smooth as Marvin though. 

Edited by STBonecrusher21, 21 August 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#37 KingGibbs

KingGibbs

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 10,096 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Marvin Gaye>Robin Thicke.

Thicke is just not that appealing to me and I have an open mind when it comes to music.

For my money the one artist I'd like to see from today's artist is Bruno Mars. Dude is straight up talented.

#38 Momma There Goes That Man

Momma There Goes That Man

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Marvin Gaye is a legend. Robin Thicke is a tool.

He should pay the Gaye family money just for the horrific act of associating Gaye's music with this garbage. 

#39 Sticksboi05

Sticksboi05

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

BTO accusing The Who of ripping them off sounds about as right as Barney Fife accusing Dirty Harry of ripping him off.

You got it reversed.  BTO came up and jokingly told Townshend we took your riff from Baba O'Riley and used it for You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.  On another random note, Cigarettes and Alcohol by Oasis is a blatant rip of Get It On by T-rex which they admitted.

#40 pjfootballer

pjfootballer

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 28,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

I thought it was David Bowie?

You're right. I'm terrible with artist and songs.