On Now
Coming Up
  • Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Photo
- - - - -

Peter King on new Redskins broadcast --praises Cooley

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 End2round2sanders

End2round2sanders

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Via MMQB...

On Thursday, an era ended. Washington’s radio team did not include
Sam Huff. After 38 years, the team played a game with another color man
in the broadcast booth next to Larry Michael and Sonny Jurgensen: former
tight end Chris Cooley.

Ran into Cooley in the bowels of LP Field in Nashville after the
game. I’ve always liked Cooley, because he’s a thinker. I could see how
pumped he was. “So nervous before the game,” he said. “A new job, and a
pretty big deal.”

This is why he’s going to be good at being the third man in the
Washington booth: Before the game, he worked the team’s locker room for
nuggets. Got invited into Mike Shanahan’s office for a conversation. Ran
into players he knew. Wondered if he was really doing the right thing,
with his body feeling so perfect and pain-free, getting into this media
thing. He found himself with Robert Griffin III, who was not playing in
the game after offseason knee surgery, and London Fletcher, who was
healthy and suited up, ready to go. Griffin is 23. Fletcher is 38.

“I was able to get a couple of good things on the air tonight,”
Cooley said. “When I was with Robert and London, Robert looked at him
and said, ‘Why are you playing tonight, dude?’ London said: ‘Because
great players play.’ I got that on. I thought that was great.”

Too often, former players believe the fact that they played the game
and been behind the magic curtain is enough to merit a lifetime job on
TV or radio. It shouldn’t be that way, and in the increasing meritocracy
of football in the electronic media, ex-players are being made to bring
something to the table. Cooley did exactly that for his audience
Thursday night, and I would have expected nothing less from someone so
bright and curious.

Completely agree with PK on the former players turned broadcasters.  Just because you played, doesn't mean you can articulate yourself on the air the way that engages an audience. Listening to Cooley on the internet on Thursday, he was a breath of fresh air. I know he's doing sidelines now but he should fill in and take SH's old spot soon. He has the respect of the players and can get good reactions from them during interviews. But its preseason, he'll have the access now, but not during the regular season, and his talents should be better utilized other than giving 3 second injury reports or quick halftime updates from the coaches. You can get any schmo to do that.

#2 Califan007

Califan007

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 29,405 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

I didn't get to hear Cooley on the air...here's hoping he gets even better and keeps doing so.

• skinsmarydu likes this

#3 NoCalMike

NoCalMike

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 12,812 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

Another issue I have a lot of the times with players turned broadcasters is a lot of them seem to be bitter about their former teams and carry a "nothing was ever my fault" attitude.

Cooley, while still raw at the radio gig, brings a genuine excitement to the table when talking about this franchise.  Other than the 2 playoff seasons, the team pretty much sucked his entire tenure, but he doesn't seem told hold a a bitter bone in his body regardless.  Unlike a couple of other guys on the radio who seem to want to look at everything though a worst-case scenario going for the most dramatic angle possible every single time.

Edited by NoCalMike, 12 August 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#4 MumboSauce

MumboSauce

ciresolstice

• Members
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

I liked him a lot during coverage of the game compared to The Drive with Czabe. but he's improving there too.

#5 RFKFedEx

RFKFedEx

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

I didn't hear the broadcast either.

Anyone know if Cooley had the ability to speak whenever he desired, or was it only when Larry cued him after a big play, injury, etc?

Doc and Cooley roaming the sidelines with their mics would seem redundant.

#6 Murphs56

Murphs56

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

Having Cooley is a definitely a good thing. He can get interviews that other guys that don't have any relationship with the team can't. I mean who gets an interview with Snyder these days

#7 thebluefood

thebluefood

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

Looking forward to listening to 'em on Sundays on the web.

#8 Voice_of_Reason

Voice_of_Reason

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 10,001 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

I think he's really starting to get more confortable with Czabe.  He's not afraid to get in there and lock horns, and he's honestly the more reasonable of the two.  The first few shows were a little bumpy.  It's smoothing out.  I like it so far. 

And it's 1 MILLION times better than that dreg on the other station. 

#9 Gibbs Hog Heaven

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 21,899 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:01 AM

Wait! Peter King is praising something Redskin !!!!?

What's he after ?  :mellow:

Hail. 

#10 Thinking Skins

Thinking Skins

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:33 AM

Another issue I have a lot of the times with players turned broadcasters is a lot of them seem to be bitter about their former teams and carry a "nothing was ever my fault" attitude.

I think it depends on the player and the situation. Its like some (Lavar/McNabb) have a negative angle and want to exploit it. Others have a straight bias towards the team that they played for (Theisman/Sonny).

Either way it diminishes the radio quality.

Honestly I get tired of all these "expert" opinions. I'd rather have the radio host be knowledgeable on stuff and let callers call in and talk stuff, ala Ken Beatrice. Unfortunately most radio hosts have fallen in love with Tony Kornheiser / Rush Limbaugh / etc who use radio shows to make a name for themselves and talk trash about callers.

#11 buckeyeG

buckeyeG

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

Been listening the "The Drive" lately and that show rocks....I have,and always will download "The Sports Fix" from the audio vault on the 980 web site..now the drive is "must" listen with Cooley.

Edited by buckeyeG, 13 August 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#12 End2round2sanders

End2round2sanders

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

I think he's really starting to get more confortable with Czabe.  He's not afraid to get in there and lock horns, and he's honestly the more reasonable of the two.  The first few shows were a little bumpy.  It's smoothing out.  I like it so far. 

And it's 1 MILLION times better than that dreg on the other station. 

Having worked in radio for over ten years I know It can take sometime for a new host to find his rhythm, at first they are trying not to mess up, or are trying too hard. It takes a while for a new guy, like a former athlete to warm up and click with his co-hosts, its rare that they mesh right away. If they keep Cooley on the sidelines for a couple of year's during the game broadcast I guess I'm fine with that, paying your dues I guess.

#13 clarkskin

clarkskin

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

I think it depends on the player and the situation. Its like some (Lavar/McNabb) have a negative angle and want to exploit it. Others have a straight bias towards the team that they played for (Theisman/Sonny).

Either way it diminishes the radio quality.

Honestly I get tired of all these "expert" opinions. I'd rather have the radio host be knowledgeable on stuff and let callers call in and talk stuff, ala Ken Beatrice. Unfortunately most radio hosts have fallen in love with Tony Kornheiser / Rush Limbaugh / etc who use radio shows to make a name for themselves and talk trash about callers.

True, but at the same time when I get a chance to listen to DC area sports radio, the callers calling in don't usually have much substance to contribute (to put it kindly)

#14 Voice_of_Reason

Voice_of_Reason

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 10,001 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

This post has nothing to do with Peter King.  

But, I've been tuning into The Drive the last few nights, and, damn if Cooley isn't becoming my favorite person on the radio to listen to.

A few segments that I just loved:

1. He listened to Brad Johnson call plays, and they diagnosed them and said what they were.  He never played in Norv Turner's offense.  But he could still tell you the formation, motion and something about the route tree. 

2. He pushed Czabe to repeat a play call.  This is the "with a year of training, I could be an average play-caller in the NFL" schtick.  So Cooley just read out a play, and had Czabe repeat it. The cool thing is that Cooley broke down what the play was.  (He also took a shot at Donovan McNabb not being able to repeat the play call, forgetting pieces of it.

3. Today's discussion specifically about McNabb, since he went and ran his yap again about RGIII. Basically saying:

- McNabb wasn't able to read-out the plays effectively

- He had gotten comfortable in the old Philly offense, and wasn't willing to put in the work to learn a new playbook

- The offense would have to "shrink" at the half, because McNabb couldn't execute the full playbook

- They switched to Rex because the offense wasn't getting any better, and the coaching staff wanted to give guys an opportunity to grow, and Rex was a better fit.  

I mean, that's "inside the locker-room" type of stuff right there.  

I learned more about football in 20 minutes yesterday listening to the play calling discussion than I have in years on the radio, and today we got a first hand account of the uselessness of Donovan McNabb.  

I mean, that's 2 pretty stellar days for Captain Chaos, if you ask me. 

• Gamebreaker, Dan T., G.A.C.O.L.B. and 3 others like this

#15 Farbod21

Farbod21

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

Nothing makes me happier than having guys like Cooley still around the team.  The was always a huge fan favorite, a hard worker, and just a great person.  I am glad he never wore another jersey.  Look forward to many years of Cooley banter.

• G.A.C.O.L.B. likes this

#16 DC9

DC9

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 11,170 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

Between that game and his new show with Czaban I couldn't be more impressed with Cooley as an analyst or a personality. 

His first show was a bit of a feeling out process, but he became comfortable quickly and has just been an absolute pleasure to listen to when talking about football on the personnel side (which is my passion) and the X's and O's side. 

I listened for a bit on Thursday and plan to listen again Monday night (I'll probably leave at halftime).  This was a fantastic signing by 980 and the Redskins broadcast team.

King hit it on the head, he is not just a name or a mouth piece, Chris Cooley is a smart man with a lot to offer the media.  Looking forward to his second career maturing.

#17 Voice_of_Reason

Voice_of_Reason

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 10,001 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Between that game and his new show with Czaban I couldn't be more impressed with Cooley as an analyst or a personality. 

His first show was a bit of a feeling out process, but he became comfortable quickly and has just been an absolute pleasure to listen to when talking about football on the personnel side (which is my passion) and the X's and O's side. 

I listened for a bit on Thursday and plan to listen again Monday night (I'll probably leave at halftime).  This was a fantastic signing by 980 and the Redskins broadcast team.

King hit it on the head, he is not just a name or a mouth piece, Chris Cooley is a smart man with a lot to offer the media.  Looking forward to his second career maturing.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I think (and hope) that more people start migrating away from that other dribble on, especially during football season. 

Cooley offers really good insight on football, has good relationships with the team, and is able to get former players to come on with him, because they all like and respect him.

He is clearly knowledgeable, prepared, and interesting to listen to.

They really couldn't have picked a better guy for the position.  And he's doing great.

#18 G.A.C.O.L.B.

G.A.C.O.L.B.

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,372 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

This post has nothing to do with Peter King.  

But, I've been tuning into The Drive the last few nights, and, damn if Cooley isn't becoming my favorite person on the radio to listen to.

A few segments that I just loved:

1. He listened to Brad Johnson call plays, and they diagnosed them and said what they were.  He never played in Norv Turner's offense.  But he could still tell you the formation, motion and something about the route tree. 

2. He pushed Czabe to repeat a play call.  This is the "with a year of training, I could be an average play-caller in the NFL" schtick.  So Cooley just read out a play, and had Czabe repeat it. The cool thing is that Cooley broke down what the play was.  (He also took a shot at Donovan McNabb not being able to repeat the play call, forgetting pieces of it.

3. Today's discussion specifically about McNabb, since he went and ran his yap again about RGIII. Basically saying:

- McNabb wasn't able to read-out the plays effectively

- He had gotten comfortable in the old Philly offense, and wasn't willing to put in the work to learn a new playbook

- The offense would have to "shrink" at the half, because McNabb couldn't execute the full playbook

- They switched to Rex because the offense wasn't getting any better, and the coaching staff wanted to give guys an opportunity to grow, and Rex was a better fit.  

I mean, that's "inside the locker-room" type of stuff right there.  

I learned more about football in 20 minutes yesterday listening to the play calling discussion than I have in years on the radio, and today we got a first hand account of the uselessness of Donovan McNabb.  

I mean, that's 2 pretty stellar days for Captain Chaos, if you ask me. 

Nailed it.  Heard all of that as well and it was just outstanding.  Best sports talk radio I've heard in a long while.  I have no clue why anyone would ever listen to 106.7 the Fail again. It is just night and day the quality between the two ex-players.  And it isn't just because one has played more recently than the other.  It's clear that one of the two just understands/understood the game that much more.  And Cooley is such a natural at talking.  Complete opposite of Lavar who makes himself sound like a complete fool by trying to sound smart.

#19 GothSkinsFan

GothSkinsFan

No New Threads

• Members
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

The more I read posts about Cooley, the more I think *he* needs some kind of role with the team -- either in designing plays (he doesn't need to actually "coach", just design the O and teach the O assistants who coach the players -- or personnel evaluation.  There's just way too much football genius beyond those twinkling eyes to be left gabbing on air.  Thing is, he's got such an infectious personality, how can you not want to bust your butt for him?

#20 Voice_of_Reason

Voice_of_Reason

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 10,001 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

The more I read posts about Cooley, the more I think *he* needs some kind of role with the team -- either in designing plays (he doesn't need to actually "coach", just design the O and teach the O assistants who coach the players -- or personnel evaluation.  There's just way too much football genius beyond those twinkling eyes to be left gabbing on air.  Thing is, he's got such an infectious personality, how can you not want to bust your butt for him?

Cooley has no interest in any type of coaching, which he's stated on the radio.

I'm not sure that you can start designing plays for an NFL offense is something you can just pick up without training. I would imagine that you'd have to start by coaching as an assistant and/or college, and get familiar with how to put together plays and a game plan before you could really do it at the NFL level.

Personally, I hope that Cooley doesn't take a job with the Redskins, because then we'd lose him on the broadcast and radio, and he's just about as good as there is on the radio right now.

I also love that he gets into it with Doc from time to time, who's just an inflated windbag who hasn't said anything original in 15 years. If you took away his nicknames, he wouldn't even be able to complete 1 sentence.

#21 Larry

Larry

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,800 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Most of the pSkins games, I "watch" by streaming the radio. And I REALLY like Cooley in the booth. He quite obviously does his homework, and he knows a lot. And he communicates it really, really, well.

#22 SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 19,316 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

Cooley's "film" breakdowns are excellent. Phenomenal how he grades players and explains them 

#23 KingGibbs

KingGibbs

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

Chris is doing a fantastic job and the best part is he is being completely unbiased when it comes to the team. He's been very critical when warranted and I have nothing but respect for a guy that can put down the B&G glasses and do just that. That's more than I can say for a few on here.

• BRAVEONAWARPATH likes this

#24 BRAVEONAWARPATH

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Chris is doing a fantastic job and the best part is he is being completely unbiased when it comes to the team. He's been very critical when warranted and I have nothing but respect for a guy that can put down the B&G glasses and do just that. That's more than I can say for a few on here.

Totally agree with this King.

I'm very surprised at Cooley's ability to be so objective considering he isn't that far removed from it all.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH, 03 December 2013 - 07:35 PM.

• KingGibbs likes this

#25 thebluefood

thebluefood

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

The few times I've listened to the radio broadcast, I have thoroughly enjoyed hearing Chris Cooley's commentary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users