Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7; Film Sessions: Hitting The Quarterback To Stop The Read-Option Is Stupid

KCClybun

I shouldn’t have clicked it. I knew what I was getting into when I clicked on it. But curiousity killed the cat. And so I read Andy Benoit’s column on Robert Griffin III, and of course, came away annoyed and frustrated, because it is yet another article that seems to not understand how and why the Redskins offense works.

I’m loathed to actually link back to that article, but for the purposes of debunking this, I’m going to have to.

We may see less of these called in the coming season, especially since defensive coordinators spent the offseason devising ways to snuff out the scheme. 
Their rather simple solution will be to hit the quarterback whether he keeps the ball or not, which is legal because he is essentially a running back taking a direct snap.
 The hits just have to be delivered within the natural timing of a handoff, which won’t be a problem since unblocked edge defenders have an unimpeded path to the mesh point. (Think of hockey defenders playing the man instead of the puck.)
We already saw the Ravens start delivering zone-read hits like this with Terrell Suggs in the second half of Super Bowl XLVII.

Benoit is not the first columnist to assert that more defensive coordinators are simply going to instruct their OLBs or DEs to hit the quarterback whether or not the ball is handed off, and Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said as much when asked about the read-option. The thought process appears to be that, by plastering the quarterback whether he has the ball or not, offensive coordinators will be scared into not calling the play as much, less they want to see their quarterback peeling themselves off the ground on every play.

It seems like the definition of “success” in stop the read-option begins and ends with stopping the quarterback. That’s what we’re really talking about here; stopping Robert Griffin III from running. Andy Benoit goes as far as to assert that if RGIII doesn’t transform into a traditional pocket passer and “be can’t master downfield reads from the pocket, he’ll never be more than a likable version of Michael Vick.”

(Side note; Woe be the the next black quarterback who comes into the NFL with braids coming out the back of his helmet, for he will always be compared to Michael Vick.)

http://httr24-7.com/film-room/film-sessions-hitting-the-quarterback-is-a-stupid-way-to-stop-the-read-option/'>Click here to read more.

RGIII doing more to avoid unnecessary hits/punishment is a completely separate issue than coaches instructing their players to start laying borderline dirty hits on the QB in order to try and get them off the field.

It's true there are times when RGIII is running with the ball that he should slide sooner, or go out of bounds, stop cutting back into the field etc etc etc....

However, and we saw this last season, sometimes lineman or defenders seemed determined to lay a hit on RGIII regardless of he had the ball or not, this led to him visibly throwing up his hands in the air after a handoff to show EVERYONE he didn't have the ball.

I already had a feeling it was only a matter of time until D-coordinators became so frustrated at not being able to stop this play that they would gladly trade a possible personal foul call if it meant injuring RGIII.

Good piece again, KC.  I'd be interested in seeing how many hits Rob, Kaep, and Wilson took in relation to Luck, Brees and Eli.

I can say at some point during the game Robert is going to be under center, and one of these defenders is going to be engaged high with a linemen during an inside/outside zone "old school Shanny offense run" and maybe a FB/TE, maybe another linemen is going to accidentally roll into the ankle of one of these guys.

These things have a way of evening out.  And with a bulldog like Trent Williams or a guy like LeReibus (when ready) along that line, it's only going to take one time. 

I hope the Eagles follow suit and just "attack" Griffin so Morris can break his personal record of 200 yards and break AP's 296 yard record.

Actually if there is any coaching staff in the NFL who should know how to play the read option its the Eagles. With Kelly's recent College experience he will have seen the read option quite a bit and used it himself as part of his Oregon offense.

I will bet he knows you cant just tee off against the QB.

NLC: Hitting the Quarterback is a stupid way to stop the read option.

I agree that the Benoit article made a weak case but the one thing he probably got right you have labeled "stupid." He wrote, "Their [defensive coordinators] rather simple solution will be to hit the quarterback whether he keeps the ball or not, which is legal because he is essentially a running back taking a direct snap."

As I’ve asserted before, the best way to defend (not stop, but defend) the read option is to get ack to basics, play with discpline, and make good solid tackles. As has become increasingly clear in the NFL, defenses have relied more and more on being aggressive and laying big hits than discipline.

So, your defensive strategy against the read-option is for defenses to learn to play better? I agree that, in recent years, making the highlight reels for a big hit has motivated some poor tackling habits, but that's not a solution specific to the read-option.

It’s a flawed premise that is not based in any sort of factual or realistic analysis of film. 

In order to support this claim, you will need to do a realistic analysis of film. What you offered does not qualify. You cherry-picked a few plays and made unwarranted assumptions like:

Suggs has all eyes on Kaep…

The QB and RB are together. How can you tell who Suggs was looking at? Maybe Suggs was assigned to hit the QB even if he handed off and maybe he wasn't.

Ngata does put Griffin on his butt, but now before Pierre Garçon catches a screen pass that goes for 23 yards, setting the Redskins up for the first touchdown.

Since Garcon caught a pass isn't it fair to assume that Ngata rushed at Griffin because he had the football? How does this support your position?

Commiting two of your best defenders to stopping one guy, only to leave them completely out of the play doesn’t seem like a great strategy. But I guess I’m not an NFL defensive coordinator.

Obviously it would be stupid for the defense to have two defenders assigned to that task. That's why it's unlikely that they were.

It’s a flawed premise that is not based in any sort of factual or realistic analysis of film.

Maybe, but you would need a realistic film study and a good-size sample of stats (which doesn't exist) to support your opinion.

I agree that the Benoit article made a weak case but the one thing he probably got right you have labeled "stupid." He wrote, "Their [defensive coordinators] rather simple solution will be to hit the quarterback whether he keeps the ball or not, which is legal because he is essentially a running back taking a direct snap."

I think one more reason that this strategy is not that bright is because the Redskins solved it last season.  If the moment RGIII hands the ball off he puts up his hands, then the defense is not allowed to hit him without a flag.  That's what the league declared last season.  So, he's not a running back except for that moment he has the ball in his hand.  That should reduce the number of hits especially if the officials call the game honestly.  Cheap, extra hits are a penalty.  If a defensive player can get to the qb on a handoff whether its read or conventional they already try to do that because that's a great way to cause a fumble.  Since, we don't see a lot of hits on qbs during running plays my guess is that it isn't that easy to do.

It's stupid to ask DCs how they will stop an offense and expect an honest answer.

This "hitting the QB to stop the read option" thing is only being used as a convenient way for coaches to answer annoying questions from the media in a way that satisfies reporters without giving away anything of value strategy-wise.

I highly doubt that professional coaches have spent an entire off season and came up with the gem, "Well, shucks, let's just hit the QB no matter what!". You're right, It is stupid, but so is anyone taking that at face value.

Especially after bounty gate, it's just too grey of a line for a coach to teach this as a philosophy, not even considering the fact that it leaves the HB free to eat a defense alive.

Now, the individual players,on the other hand, some very well may decide to play it this way.

Anyways, I wouldn't be too worried. If Griffin can't take hits, then Cousins will be playing sooner rather than later, read-option or not. Which isn't the catastrophe many would make it out to be, as at least the team ,as a whole, isn't a joke anymore in terms of depth.

Burgold: I think one more reason that this strategy is not that bright is because the Redskins solved it last season.

having the QB throw his hands up mitigates the problem. It isn't a solution.

The reason that the NFL will protect the QBs as much as seems reasonable is the very same reason that OCs will want to protect their QBs. They are very valuable assets. That's a double-edged sword.

I can't possibly disagree with this piece more.

Taking away the backside of the play makes the play one dimensional. Hitting the quarterback, legally, will force OCs to make a decision on whether to keep with it or not. Sure there are ways to counter the unblocked end, such as the fullback arc release block. You could change the read man too, but that puts your quarterback between the tackles running the football.

Any strategy requires variation, offensively and defensively. Stunts would help defensively, varied blocking assignments would help offensively. But to say the strategy is stupid is silly.

I love the read option and stopping it is a difficult task, but slowing it by making it one dimensional and focusing on the run from the back can certainly even the playing field.

The assertion that getting better defensively is the answer to stopping it is quite obvious.

I can't possibly disagree with this piece more.

Taking away the backside of the play makes the play one dimensional. Hitting the quarterback, legally, will force OCs to make a decision on whether to keep with it or not. Sure there are ways to counter the unblocked end, such as the fullback arc release block. You could change the read man too, but that puts your quarterback between the tackles running the football.

Any strategy requires variation, offensively and defensively. Stunts would help defensively, varied blocking assignments would help offensively. But to say the strategy is stupid is silly.

I love the read option and stopping it is a difficult task, but slowing it by making it one dimensional and focusing on the run from the back can certainly even the playing field.

The assertion that getting better defensively is the answer to stopping it is quite obvious.

But you also put stress on the defensive coordinator, he has to decide if he's OK with the RB gaining at least 5 yards a pop with the run every time you focus on ONLY the QB. Plus there's still potential for the screen out of it like we did the saints or a playaction pass down the middle like we did the Vikings/Giants. So if the D Coordinator decides to just hit the QB and not worry about the RB, i'll just run it down his throat with my RB up and down the field until he's forced to adjust.

The 49ers were getting blown out first half until they discovered Frank Gore could run all night untouched since they were just focusing on Kaep and they almost won the game too. To stop the read option you can't apply pressure you have to play sound fundamental football. It's successful in the NFL because defenses at this level have a culture of "ATTACK" "HIT THE QB" "BRING PRESSURE" and that plays right in to the hand of the read option. This offense isn't as successful in college because most college defenses don't really pass rush like that they are more focused on stopping the run and playing fundamental football. Les Miles talked about this a few months prior. 

KDawg: I love the read option and stopping it is a difficult task, but slowing it by making it one dimensional and focusing on the run from the back can certainly even the playing field.

Agreed. When executed properly, the read-option works regardless of what the edge-rusher does. So, the worst thing he can do is to stand there and squeeze his jock. So, have him take away the QB option which allows his defensive teammates to know what's coming.

If a blocker is sent at the edge-rusher, the tactic has caused the offense to use another player.

Even if the QB isn't hit that much, I don't see the downside here.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if the end takes one step inside (as though going for the RB) but then changes course to the QB (or vice versa)? Since the qbs decision is predicated on what the end does, wouldn't a 'fake' step throw off the qbs decision? Or would adding that extra step leave the end in no man's land and unable to defend either?

Hunna,

The entire premise of your reply is off as soon as you said my strategy, "focused ONLY on the QB." Re-read what I said.

So you have a DE attack the QB and you "focus on the run from the back to even the playing field" I play action and destroy you down the middle (Giants/Vikings) until your linebackers are forced to stay back and allow my RB to gash you up the middle or throw WR screens to keep you on your toes and spread out your linebacking core so my RB can gash you up the middle (Saints). It's really pick your poison, this offense works because on one particular play depending on how you chose to defend me there are multiple options and because these "Running QB's" can actually pass with the best of them now a days. 

Personally I like Seattle's version of the Read Option, they spread you out so much (3 4 WR sets) that it's almost impossible to defend. 

Great article and I normally agree with you. But I dont in this case. There is one point to make about hitting the QB. The read option only works if your QB is a valid running threat. In other words. If you hit RG3 enough that he gets injured then that threat is gone. And lets not forget the Ravens did have a substantial effect on RG3's season with Ngata's hit. Granted that was not on a zone read play but they did injure him badly. I expect RG3 to be crushed with every zone read play. It makes sense to try to eliminate the threat. Can he make it through an entire season without injury? That remains to be seen. And every hit he takes increases the risk.

Again, read. You play it defensively exactly like you would any play action. It's not a full commitment. And Morris will certainly get his yards. But it slows the process and prevents Griffin from hashing you backside.

Sure, Morris and the play action are very real threats, but the more plays you make the offense run, the increased probability of them making a mistake.

Great article and I normally agree with you. But I dont in this case. There is one point to make about hitting the QB. The read option only works if your QB is a valid running threat. In other words. If you hit RG3 enough that he gets injured then that threat is gone. And lets not forget the Ravens did have a substantial effect on RG3's season with Ngata's hit. Granted that was not on a zone read play but they did injure him badly. I expect RG3 to be crushed with every zone read play. It makes sense to try to eliminate the threat. Can he make it through an entire season without injury? That remains to be seen. And every hit he takes increases the risk.

But how do you plan to hit RG3 if he's already handed off the ball? You can't tackle him but Surely you would be able to legally push him but i'm sure RG3 can withstand pushes to the ground for 60 minutes. 

RG3 was hurt trying to get down without sliding he fell down and put his right leg up and was hit on his leg. If that was Kaep or Wilson (who know how to slide properly, hopefully RG3 learns) that wouldn't have been an injury. The one weakness I see in RG3's game is he can not slide to save his life. Ravens were stopping RG3? The offense was TORCHING the ravens all game, we finished with 423 total yards, it was our defense who let us down Flacco went 16/21 182 yards 3 TD's and Rice had 20 carries 121 yards 1 TD. 

I think one more reason that this strategy is not that bright is because the Redskins solved it last season.  If the moment RGIII hands the ball off he puts up his hands, then the defense is not allowed to hit him without a flag.  That's what the league declared last season.  So, he's not a running back except for that moment he has the ball in his hand.  That should reduce the number of hits especially if the officials call the game honestly.  Cheap, extra hits are a penalty.  If a defensive player can get to the qb on a handoff whether its read or conventional they already try to do that because that's a great way to cause a fumble.  Since, we don't see a lot of hits on qbs during running plays my guess is that it isn't that easy to do.

The thing about hitting the QB tactic.  Look at the mesh point, even though a defensive player may have a free run to that point, he still isn't often going to get there until after the QB can drop back and establish himself as a passer so, in that case, just blowing the QB up might be illegal at that point,  Second, if the defense is out to injure my QB, an offensive lineman or the back will have no issue with injuring a defensive player, the game would devolve into a hockey match.  Third, the read option has many variants and counters to that tactic and what is being described is really what the OC wants.

Again, read. You play it defensively exactly like you would any play action. It's not a full commitment. And Morris will certainly get his yards. But it slows the process and prevents Griffin from hashing you backside.

Sure, Morris and the play action are very real threats, but the more plays you make the offense run, the increased probability of them making a mistake.

Huh? The more plays an offense runs, the weaker a defense gets (causing their own mistakes) and the less momentum an opposing offense can build. Right?

No defense wants to stay on the field.

But how do you plan to hit RG3 if he's already handed off the ball? You can't tackle him but Surely you would be able to legally push him but i'm sure RG3 can withstand pushes to the ground for 60 minutes. 

RG3 was hurt trying to get down without sliding he fell down and put his right leg up and was hit on his leg. If that was Kaep or Wilson (who know how to slide properly, hopefully RG3 learns) that wouldn't have been an injury. The one weakness I see in RG3's game is he can not slide to save his life. Ravens were stopping RG3? The offense was TORCHING the ravens all game, we finished with 423 total yards, it was our defense who let us down Flacco went 16/21 182 yards 3 TD's and Rice had 20 carries 121 yards 1 TD. 

You absolutely CAN hit him on every zone read play legally. He is considered a running back until he drops back to pass. So yes. He will be hit on every zone read play. And I never said the Ravens stopped RG3. I said they effected his season by injuring him.

Hunna to KDawg: ...So you have a DE attack the QB and you "focus on the run from the back to even the playing field" I play action and destroy you down the middle...

No, you don't. The play action doesn't slow down the edge-rusher who has the QB in his sights. It only slows down the QB from getting the pass off in that situation. Play action makes the sack more likely.

Archived