Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I don't see Ainge trading for Lebron. I think he's going to try to make this young core with Irving and Hayward work. If anything he'll trade for Leonard. Or maybe low key work a deal for Anthony Davis though I can't imagine why the Pels would deal him.

30 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Boston would take Lebron obviously. But they (and possibly Houston) are the two franchises that would be skeptical of the one-year contract that Lebron forces you to sign. They seriously have opened something like a ten year window to win a title. Switching that to one-year in a league where the Warriors still exist is really risky and not in line with what Ainge typically does. I think they need a multiple year commitment from Lebron to go in that big with a superstar.

Cleveland almost has to take whatever they can get at this point unless they decide that letting Lebron walk simply makes the most financial sense. And it may.

Boston, especially considering they are likely going to get the Kings 2019 pick and it is likely to be high (though they don't get it if it is #1) and they have Tatum has options and could walk away from even a good Lebron trade based on the kind of contract he's willing to sign.

Houston, though, is pretty much locked into winning in a pretty narrow window.  Paul pretty much has to be declining.  As long as the trade doesn't gut their current team, they'd be foolish to not trade for Lebron based on the kind of contract he's willing to sign.

Even if Lebron is only willing to do another 1+1 contract, they'd be foolish not to make the trade I suggested above (unless of course the Rockets owner decides he doesn't want to shell out the money to make buy the contracts to make the deal work.  Only the owner can decide the value of that money vs. winning games.)

7 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Boston would take Lebron obviously. But they (and possibly Houston) are the two franchises that would be skeptical of the one-year contract that Lebron forces you to sign. They seriously have opened something like a ten year window to win a title. Switching that to one-year in a league where the Warriors still exist is really risky and not in line with what Ainge typically does. I think they need a multiple year commitment from Lebron to go in that big with a superstar.

If they have a chance at LeBron, they have to take it.  They don't need to get precious about their own guys.  None of them are in LeBron's universe.  Getting LeBron guarantees they'll be in the Finals next year, and every year after that they keep him.

The alternative is probably watching a super team form up in Laker-land and having them bring home another banner.

Let me see if I'm understanding the big picture here. Lakers get LeBron plus Leonard or PG. Lakers lose possibly Kyle Kuzma, probably Julius Randle and some other young players. Lakers at best make the WCF two years in a row and then back to square one with no Kuzma, no Julius Randle and Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram's development thrown out the window. Sign me up! 

Edited by Berggy9598

4 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Let me see if I'm understanding the big picture here. Lakers get LeBron plus Leonard or PG. Lakers lose possibly Kyle Kuzma, probably Julius Randle and some other young players. Lakers at best make the WCF two years in a row and then back to square one with no Kuzma, no Julius Randle and Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram's development thrown out the window. Sign me up! 

The question is how much demand is there for Leonard and what is the best deal that the Spurs can make.  If there is not much demand for Leonard and the Spurs have to take back some salary, then you can get a situation where the Lakers can get Leonard, Lebron, and PG.

The question is whether the Spurs would have to take some of the bad contracts the Lakers have (e.g. Deng).  If there is enough demand for Leonard, that the Spurs can demand some of the Lakers young talent without taking back much salary, I don't see where a trade makes sense for the Lakers.  I'd rather just sign PG and Lebron as free agents and not gut the rest of the team. 

Some of the young players on the Lakers+Lebron+PG > gutting the Lakers roster (to trade for Kawai)+Lebron+PG.

(especially given the question marks around Kawai)

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

The question is how much demand is there for Leonard and what is the best deal that the Spurs can make.  If there is not much demand for Leonard and the Spurs have to take back some salary, then you can get a situation where the Lakers can get Leonard, Lebron, and PG.

The question is whether the Spurs would have to take some of the bad contracts the Lakers have (e.g. Deng).  If there is enough demand for Leonard, that the Spurs can demand some of the Lakers young talent without taking back much salary, I don't see where a trade makes sense for the Lakers.  I'd rather just sign PG and Lebron as free agents and not gut the rest of the team. 

Some of the young players on the Lakers+Lebron+PG > gutting the Lakers roster (to trade for Kawai)+Lebron+PG.

(especially given the question marks around Kawai)

Either way it feels too soon. Let these kids continue to develop and if they keep getting bring in that max player in 2-3 years. They're going to throw away a shot at sustained success for a 2 year run that won't end in a title.

7 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

We'll take Kawhi, LeBron, and Paul George if you don't want them.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Either way it feels too soon. Let these kids continue to develop and if they keep getting bring in that max player in 2-3 years. They're going to throw away a shot at sustained success for a 2 year run that won't end in a title.

I am not that impressed with their young players.  I do not think they are really a championship roster.

If they can get Lebron, Kawai, and PG, they should.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

So um... the DPVE isn't working.  Kyrie Irving and Kawhi Leonard were willing to forgo it to get away from teams they won championships with.

What we don't know might be the reason these players actions make little sense.  We only know what the NBA media, which is notoriously suspect when it comes to keeping secrets for teams and players, has made public.  We don't really know how bad things may have become behind the scenes.  The Cavs seemed in a rush to get Kyrie out the door, and San Antonio was out of character with the public comments about Kawhi.

It also might help if the league made max and super max deals a percentage of cap instead of a real dollar amount based on current percentage of cap.  A lot of "max" deals from not too long ago look much less impressive just a few years later. 

On 6/15/2018 at 4:29 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

LeBron is going to have to take a massive paycut or else gut whatever team he goes to or else get fully paid on a team that has no chance.  Those are his only three choices.

We're going to get to see how badly he wants to win more rings.  Magic and Jordan were never faced with this choice.  Kobe chose to get paid to play for losers.

Not really a massive pay cut to go to the Lakers. That is not the truth. 

And yet Kobe was young enough with an option to make that happen... And went on to win two more rings. If you are talking about his last extension.  The team gave him that. 

Not to mention... Magic never faced this. Jordan just..made a wrong one. He could have easily stayed retired.  Punked himself. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2781403-lebron-james-to-lakers-trade-rumors-lonzo-ball-is-the-one-constant-piece.amp.html

LeBron James to Lakers Trade Rumors: Lonzo Ball Is 'The One Constant' Piece

If LeBron James opts in to his $35.6 million player option for 2018-19, the Los Angeles Lakers may have to part with last year's No. 2 pick to acquire him.

"The one constant that I've heard is Lonzo Ball," Chris Haynes of ESPN reported Friday of a potential trade.

Rumblings over a potential superteam in Los Angeles grew Friday with the San Antonio Spurs' Kawhi Leonard 

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/nba/2018/06/14/lavar-ball-lonzo-ball-lebron-james-los-angeles-lakers-rumors

Lavar Ball Says That LeBron James Will Come To Lakers, and Lonzo Will Learn "Nothing From Him

It's not that the father of the Ball family is wild in claiming that LeBron James, AKA "LA Bron" as LaVar has dubbed him, will join the Lakers in free agency this offseason.

It is a widely held belief that if James leaves the Cleveland Cavaliers the Lakers are likely his top destination. Odds makers have the Lakers pegged as the team most likely to sign James this summer.

The ridiculous part of this most recent LaVar proclamation is that 14-time All-Star, four-time MVP and three-time Finals MVP LeBron James can't teach All-Rookie second-teamer Lonzo Ball "nothing" if they were to play together.

"Can LeBron teach him what?" LaVar questioned during an appearance on Big Boy's Neighborhood. "No he can't teach him nothing. I already taught him everything."

? Let the bodies hit the floor 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

If Lebron wants to go to LA he would be stupid to opt-in and force a trade. 

He can freely sign with LA and if he didn’t want Ball there the Lakers can ship him somewhere else for assets or players. Like to SA in a Kawhi package 

I personally  just love Lavar trying to pre-empt all of this, like (if LeBron goes there) they're gonna do anything but magic him away to the Deadzone like Garlic Jr ???

• Haha 2

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:07 PM, Warhead36 said:

James, Leonard(assuming he returns to form) and George could beat the Warriors. At the least, it sure would be interesting.

Harden and Paul should have beaten the Warriors.

It's amazing how quickly that series has gone into the memory hole. Houston lost it's All-World point guard and missed 150 threes at home. Otherwise, they are most likely the champs right now.

23 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Harden and Paul should have beaten the Warriors.

It's amazing how quickly that series has gone into the memory hole. Houston lost it's All-World point guard and missed 150 threes at home. Otherwise, they are most likely the champs right now.

If Iggy doesn't get hurt at the end of a laugher, that series is over in five.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrypticVillain said:

Somebody gotta explain this to me...

Charlotte makes the move to get out of the luxury tax.  They were paying quite a bit of it on a lottery team with no real future.

Brooklyn makes the move to get out of one extra year of a big money commitment.  Howard's contract is bigger than Mozgov's, but expires a year earlier.

My how Dwight Howard's star has fallen that he just got traded between lottery teams straight up for Timofey Mozgov, the guy who will forever be remembered most for being on the wrong end of a particularly humiliating poster dunk by Blake Griffin.

1 hour ago, CrypticVillain said:

Somebody gotta explain this to me...

They aren't winning anything with Howard.  Mozgov's contract is a year longer, but for less money so that gets them closer to the cap and so they pay less tax on a team that isn't competing for a championship anyway.  Or it opens up their ability to use an exception to sign somebody if they want (though if they go that route then this makes less sense.  That using the exception to sign somebody would net them somebody better than Howard was seems unlikely, unless you really think that Kaminisky and Zeller are ready to excel at the NBA level and Howard was actually holding you back.  It is possible that they could lose Howard, give his minutes to other people, use the $10 million difference between Mozgov's and Howard's salary to sign somebody else and actually get better, but my guess is that it was more of a money saving move on a team that isn't very good). 

Plus they pick up 2 2nd round picks.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

So um... the DPVE isn't working.  Kyrie Irving and Kawhi Leonard were willing to forgo it to get away from teams they won championships with.

Spoiler

Franchise Tag

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thanks 1