RonArtest15

***2017-18 NBA Playoffs Thread***

Recommended Posts

Just now, CrypticVillain said:

Bleacher Report used to be like the Wikipedia of sports... They are taking over the internet right now. lol

Real Talk.  I remember if you posted a Bleacher Report article in the Stadium back in the day you'd get straight ridiculed for it.  Not anymore.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Real Talk.  I remember if you posted a Bleacher Report article in the Stadium back in the day you'd get straight ridiculed Jacques De Molay'd for it.  Not anymore.

 

:ols:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would you watch the draft? I would understand watching the interviews and stuff to see the potential draftees personalities etc, but why actually watch it. Just check it on your phone when it’s over. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Steve - "I do not understand.  Why is everyone so GD stupid?  I cannot make this any simpler for you."

 

I need to be in charge of the NBA man.  For a league that prides itself on being so socially progressive and having such a tolerant, open-minded fanbase, it is almost as aggressively orthodox, lacking in innovation, and beholden to its history as the MLB.  Give me total control over the league and I could lessen its problems with the oversaturation of its product and make it so much more competitive and dynamic.  And ultimately make it far more interesting and popular outside its niche viewer: urban, male, age 10-35

 

 

9 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Why would you watch the draft? I would understand watching the interviews and stuff to see the potential draftees personalities etc, but why actually watch it. Just check it on your phone when it’s over. 

 

It's interesting.  And consequential.  The NFL figured out how to make a bunch of people reading names off of a piece of paper for 12 hours into a major football event that 12 million people a year will tune in to watch.  It's amazing.  And it's why they are the best and most popular sports product in the world.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You and I have different meanings of interesting. I will never be interested or have the patience to seat and watch them read names out loud and wait a couple of minutes between selections. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

You and I have different meanings of interesting. I will never be interested or have the patience to seat and watch them read names out loud and wait a couple of minutes between selections. 

Do we still use ankle jokes for you? If so, you left yourself very vulnerable with this post. lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Real Talk.  I remember if you posted a Bleacher Report article in the Stadium back in the day you'd get straight ridiculed for it.  Not anymore.

 

Thing is they got bought by Turner a few years back and then folks started taking them seriously that and they were listed as one of the best websites for sports back in 2011. I think they were bought the next year. Somewhere in the 200M range. 

I actually am an aquaintance of one of their senior writers. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

 

I'll love it as soon as I know what I'm bathing in :unsure:

 

Hope it ain't a jug of Harden's beard sweat or something... I know how you eccentric cats get down.

 

 

He's a beautiful beautiful man.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

You and I have different meanings of interesting. I will never be interested or have the patience to seat and watch them read names out loud and wait a couple of minutes between selections. 

 

Its a tremendously speculative prediction market.  Like a microuniverse stock market.  And the consequences of the market developments are that your favorite entity within this market will become broadly better or worse in a pure competition against the others.  It is one of the most fascinating aspects of each league as the most important tool for player acquisition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

At the end of the day, the Cavs traded Kyrie Irving for the #8 pick in an okayish draft and Larry Nance, Jr.

 

This is now officially one of the worst trades ever, right?

 

All of you mouth-breathers who committed heresy again the Church of Latter Day Saints by claiming the Cavs won the deal, step forward now and live in your shame.

 

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's interesting.  And consequential.  The NFL figured out how to make a bunch of people reading names off of a piece of paper for 12 hours into a major football event that 12 million people a year will tune in to watch.  It's amazing.  And it's why they are the best and most popular sports product in the world.

 

Maybe 12 million people tune in, but I still haven't figured out why and completely disagree that it's interesting. The results are interesting and it's fun to find out quickly who was selected, but I still don't understand why anyone actually sits and watches the draft - especially recently with real-time updates available via Twitter, etc. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

At the end of the day, the Cavs traded Kyrie Irving for the #8 pick in an okayish draft and Larry Nance, Jr.

 

This is now officially one of the worst trades ever, right?

 

All of you mouth-breathers who committed heresy again the Church of Latter Day Saints by claiming the Cavs won the deal, step forward now and live in your shame.

 

I'll admit, I thought the Cavs won the trade, mainly because I didn't think the drop off from Irving to Thomas would be THAT huge, but clearly Thomas is a fairly mediocre undersized scoring PG who Stevens made look better than he actually was. And the other pieces the Cavs got just didn't fit. And they didn't get a high enough pick from the Nets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Warhead36 said:

I'll admit, I thought the Cavs won the trade, mainly because I didn't think the drop off from Irving to Thomas would be THAT huge, but clearly Thomas is a fairly mediocre undersized scoring PG who Stevens made look better than he actually was. And the other pieces the Cavs got just didn't fit. And they didn't get a high enough pick from the Nets.

 

Thirty lashes or a brand on your hand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

At the end of the day, the Cavs traded Kyrie Irving for the #8 pick in an okayish draft and Larry Nance, Jr.

 

This is now officially one of the worst trades ever, right?

 

All of you mouth-breathers who committed heresy again the Church of Latter Day Saints by claiming the Cavs won the deal, step forward now and live in your shame.

 

 

We won't know for another few years. Don't know who the Cavs will draft and what that player will turn into and don't know if Kyrie gets healthy and plays big in the playoffs next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hersh said:

 

We won't know for another few years. Don't know who the Cavs will draft and what that player will turn into and don't know if Kyrie gets healthy and plays big in the playoffs next season.

 

Ah, so you are that guy.

 

Very well. Both lashes and a branding for you.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

At the end of the day, the Cavs traded Kyrie Irving for the #8 pick in an okayish draft and Larry Nance, Jr.

 

This is now officially one of the worst trades ever, right?

It feels like we say something similar after most trades involving star players.  They rarely bring a star in return and anything short of that is never enough. The only team in recent memory that traded a star and seems to have won the trade outright is Indy.  If Paul George doesn't stay in OKC they traded Sabonis and Oladipo for a one year rental.  I'd rather have the 8th overall pick than nothing at all at the end of the season.

 

Its worth mentioning that the real loser in the Cavs trade was Isaiah Thomas.  No one lost more than him. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Why would you watch the draft? I would understand watching the interviews and stuff to see the potential draftees personalities etc, but why actually watch it. Just check it on your phone when it’s over. 

Especially since the NBA playoffs were on during the NFL draft.  There's no contest between those two.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

I need to be in charge of the NBA man.  For a league that prides itself on being so socially progressive and having such a tolerant, open-minded fanbase, it is almost as aggressively orthodox, lacking in innovation, and beholden to its history as the MLB.  Give me total control over the league and I could lessen its problems with the oversaturation of its product and make it so much more competitive and dynamic.  And ultimately make it far more interesting and popular outside its niche viewer: urban, male, age 10-35

 

 

There aren't many things I can think of that I wouldn't trust you more being in charge of then the person already in charge.  If you did run the NBA, you want the same level of power as Silver, or more?

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

 

Thing is they got bought by Turner a few years back and then folks started taking them seriously that and they were listed as one of the best websites for sports back in 2011. I think they were bought the next year. Somewhere in the 200M range. 

I actually am an aquaintance of one of their senior writers. 

 

We didn't talk as much when I first got here as we do now, but I remember my dad coming to me about writing for BR and other people asking me if I was going to go in the direction of Sports Journalism.  I remember telling him "I have enough problems with people not taking me seriously because of my age", but I think even he looked at that option as a stepping stone to something like the Washington Post, not what BR became.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

At the end of the day, the Cavs traded Kyrie Irving for the #8 pick in an okayish draft and Larry Nance, Jr.

 

This is now officially one of the worst trades ever, right?

 

All of you mouth-breathers who committed heresy again the Church of Latter Day Saints by claiming the Cavs won the deal, step forward now and live in your shame.

 

Imma need Steve to reply to this. (mostly because I am interested in the gymnastics he will use to make Kyrie seem like satan)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Hersh said:

 

We won't know for another few years. Don't know who the Cavs will draft and what that player will turn into and don't know if Kyrie gets healthy and plays big in the playoffs next season.

IT isn't even on the Cavs anymore, Boston won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Imma need Steve to reply to this. (mostly because I am interested in the gymnastics he will use to make Kyrie seem like satan)

@stevemcqueen1  If Boston makes the finals this year, will you finally admit you were wrong on your opinion of them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Destino said:

Its worth mentioning that the real loser in the Cavs trade was Isaiah Thomas.  No one lost more than him. 

 

Kyrie Irving lost at least 60 million dollars.  To this day, do we know why he demanded to be traded last summer instead of waiting to first sign a DPVE?

43 minutes ago, Destino said:

Especially since the NBA playoffs were on during the NFL draft.  There's no contest between those two.  

 

You're right.  The NFL draft won.  Twice as many people watched the first round as watched the NBA games that were on against it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@stevemcqueen1  If Boston makes the finals this year, will you finally admit you were wrong on your opinion of them?

 

I was wrong that they'd get worse by trading IT and moving down in the draft.  At this point Tatum looks like a sure thing All Star and Fultz is a question mark.  And the whole cast of players that they have fit really well together.  They are more than the sum of their parts.  And they are fresh and hungry.

 

But I still don't think I was wrong about the ceiling of this construction.  I don't see them winning a championship with this group of players.  I still think they need to go out and get a transcendent guy to put them over the top and compete on even footing with the Warriors in the short term and the 76ers in the long term.

 

Detroit proved you can win titles with five really good players who make each other better plus a few key role players off the bench.  But two of their titles really caught the league in between super team eras, and the other one depended on a lot of stuff going right to get.  I think that Boston, as constructed, is going to need things to go seriously wrong for other, more talented teams--at the same time--in order to win a ring.  And I also think they're going to have money become a problem for them because of the Hayward and Horford deals and the likelihood that Kyrie is going to command a very big contract.

 

I don't think Ainge is done making big trades.  I think he might do what I've been calling for them to do and go out and get that transcendent guy--someone who can be right there with Brown and Tatum in their windows.  And I think it's going to involve a Kyrie trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

I was wrong that they'd get worse by trading IT and moving down in the draft.  At this point Tatum looks like a sure thing All Star and Fultz is a question mark.  And the whole cast of players that they have fit really well together.  They are more than the sum of their parts.  And they are fresh and hungry.

 

But I still don't think I was wrong about the ceiling of this construction.  I don't see them winning a championship with this group of players.  I still think they need to go out and get a transcendent guy to put them over the top and compete on even footing with the Warriors in the short term and the 76ers in the long term.

 

Detroit proved you can win titles with five really good players who make each other better plus a few key role players off the bench.  But two of their titles really caught the league in between super team eras, and the other one depended on a lot of stuff going right to get.  I think that Boston, as constructed, is going to need things to go seriously wrong for other, more talented teams--at the same time--in order to win a ring.  And I also think they're going to have money become a problem for them because of the Hayward and Horford deals and the likelihood that Kyrie is going to command a very big contract.

 

I don't think Ainge is done making big trades.  I think he might do what I've been calling for them to do and go out and get that transcendent guy--someone who can be right there with Brown and Tatum in their windows.  And I think it's going to involve a Kyrie trade.

 

This all makes sense, and most of it I agree with, I just gotta ask:  Why do you feel Kyrie isn't a transcendent guy?

 

He's already one of the most dominant iso scores in the NBA and proven he can do that at the highest level as well.  Is it the health you're worried about, don't want to wait around to see if he stays healthy considering what he's going to cost against their cap?  In a lot of ways I get where you're coming from, but I feel he's exactly what this team needs to beat the Warriors all things considered.  If that's not what they need, what is it more specifically?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

IT isn't even on the Cavs anymore, Boston won.

 

And if the Cavs pick turns into a superstar? What's the point of determining who won or lost this trade already? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.