Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

45 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

What aspects of basketball is Beal better than Klay? 

He can create shots for himself and his teammates.

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Better defender and ball distributor.  I want to see Beal shoot this well again next year, this is his first time that he really looks like his potential.

Thompson is a better defender than Beal.

Beal is a better scorer.  He torches opposing teams' best perimeter defenders.  There are good stoppers in the East and he torches them every time.

Martell Webster once did this:

This is Beal vs Klay this season: http://bkref.com/tiny/w4HG8

On the season .596/1 of Beal's baskets have been assisted.  .853/1 of Klay's have been assisted.

Beal's a shot creator who scores with much greater efficiency than Klay.  He also torches perimeter stoppers like George/Butler/Smart/Carroll/Shumpert/Oladipo, etc.  Also lit up Golden State's perimeter defenders.

And FWIW, this is Beal vs Klay at age 23:  http://bkref.com/tiny/39WJk

By the time he's 26, he'll be significantly better than Klay is right now.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

NBA bean counters are probably ****ting bricks right now with these swoons the Warriors and Cavs are going through.  The possibility of a San Antonio vs Washington Final has to be terrifying.  What do you think, maybe half the viewership of a third Warriors vs Cavs final?

The Wiz, depending on how their playoff run goes, could be seen as an intriguing team down the stretch. The Spurs thing has been overrated for awhile now. To me they are a pretty fun team to watch. 

When we came up short against the Pistons in '05, I was pretty sick with myself and didn't watch the Finals that year. Just so happens that Spurs-Pistons ended up being one of the best series' of all time.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The Wiz, depending on how their playoff run goes, could be seen as an intriguing team down the stretch. The Spurs thing has been overrated for awhile now. To me they are a pretty fun team to watch. 

When we came up short against the Pistons in '05, I was pretty sick with myself and didn't watch the Finals that year. Just so happens that Spurs-Pistons ended up being one of the best series' of all time.

The Spurs are a joy to watch.  But for whatever reason, they don't draw the casual fan in like they should.  Lack of personality I guess.  Any Final they're involved in will be excellent to watch even if the casual fan might not watch it.

The Wizards would be a disaster for TV ratings though.  I believe we have the smallest fan base in the NBA, and virtually nobody outside the counties adjacent to DC pays attention to the Wizards.  The market for the team is huge.  The Redskins have demonstrated how great the market can be.  But the Wizards have never managed to take hold of the market like the Redskins have.  There are far more Lakers fans than Wizards fans in the Wizards' market.

The Wizards have a pretty aesthetically pleasing style of play because of Wall.  He and Beal have super star qualities and they've been putting on a show this year.  But the fact that Beal didn't even get into the AS game this year is telling.  It's a tree falling in the woods with no one around to hear it situation.  They're not going to pull in casuals because most people don't know they're good.  Wall doesn't even have a shoe deal any more.  The man is a point guard who won a dunk contest and is one of the ten best players in the league and he couldn't get his own shoe.

Meanwhile everyone in the world knows about LeBron James and will watch his games, and Boston and Toronto have huge fan bases.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The Spurs are a joy to watch.  But for whatever reason, they don't draw the casual fan in like they should.  Lack of personality I guess.  Any Final they're involved in will be excellent to watch even if the casual fan might not watch it.

The Wizards would be a disaster for TV ratings though.  I believe we have the smallest fan base in the NBA, and virtually nobody outside the counties adjacent to DC pays attention to the Wizards.  The market for the team is huge.  The Redskins have demonstrated how great the market can be.  But the Wizards have never managed to take hold of the market like the Redskins have.  There are far more Lakers fans than Wizards fans in the Wizards' market.

The Wizards have a pretty aesthetically pleasing style of play because of Wall.  He and Beal have super star qualities and they've been putting on a show this year.  But the fact that Beal didn't even get into the AS game this year is telling.  It's a tree falling in the woods with no one around to hear it situation.  They're not going to pull in casuals because most people don't know they're good.  Wall doesn't even have a shoe deal any more.  The man is a point guard who won a dunk contest and is one of the ten best players in the league and he couldn't get his own shoe.

Meanwhile everyone in the world knows about LeBron James and will watch his games, and Boston and Toronto have huge fan bases.

People hopped on GS when they outgunned Dallas back in '07. Just gotta put on a good show. Be the team to dethrone LeJoffrey Boratheon, and people will flock. No matter what the local makeup is like, the NBA is very bandwagon in nature.

Nothing will probably approach GS/Cleveland though. 30 years from now we'll probably be looking at that rivalry the same way we do Lakers/Celtics

• Like 1

The Aldridge story is scary.  I didn't realize he had been diagnosed with this heart condition back in 2007: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff–Parkinson–White_syndrome

Seems that serious complications from it are very rare, but he's a huge guy and a professional athlete that is going to have episodes of intense exertion that regular people won't have.  So he probably has to be extra cautious whenever he has an episode of arrhythmia.  Quentin Groves had the issue and died of a heart attack when he was 32.

20 hours ago, DM72 said:

I wonder what the NBA sponsors think of the stars resting in prime time games. 

I don't remember the guys back in the day needing this much rest.

If I were Silver I'd come down hard. What the Spurs and Warriors did was ridiculous, and a slap in the face yo the fans, who drive the sport.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

If I were Silver I'd come down hard. What the Spurs and Warriors did was ridiculous, and a slap in the face yo the fans, who drive the sport.

But what exactly can he do? You can't force coaches to play certain players. They could just say "but they were injured." Who is the commish to say otherwise? The coach's job is to do whats in his team's best interests. I don't think you can argue against guys like Kerr and Popp who've won rings.

I agree its lame, but I just don't think there is anything you can really do about it.

• Like 1

I guess I have to eat some crow....didn't think this Davis/Cousins pairing would be so bad.  I think the Pels are like 3-6 since the big trade.  And not for nothing, though I don't think he'll ever be in the discussion as one of the best SGs in the game, Buddy Hield is playing some consistent basketball in Sacramento.