On Now
Coming Up
  • Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Photo
- - - - -

Washington Redskins 2014 salary cap

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 KERRAKPO9198

KERRAKPO9198

The Benchwarmer

• Banned
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

I came across this article below which says we should have around 45 million in cap space next season, but that's before the recent contracts just signed. How much cap space do you see the Redskins ending up with next season? Should we resign our own players such as Brian Orakpo, Perry Riley, and Josh Wilson? Who should we target in free agency in 2014?

http://fanspeak.com/...-cap-situation/ Redskins 2014 salary cap

http://www.spotrac.c...ngton-redskins/ 2014 Redskins free agents

http://www.spotrac.c...gents/nfl/2014/ 2014 NFL free agents

http://nfltraderumor...fl-free-agents/ 2014 NFL free agents

:helmet:

#2 skinfan2k

skinfan2k

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,981 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

we are already fast forwarding through 2013 lol. now that we have a team, i never want to talk about our offseason moves ever again.

#3 KERRAKPO9198

KERRAKPO9198

The Benchwarmer

• Banned
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

we are already fast forwarding through 2013 lol. now that we have a team, i never want to talk about our offseason moves ever again.

I'm writing us down as Super Bowl 48 Champs!

Players that caught my eye that I would like to see the Redskins potentially target in 2014.

Tony romoSUCKS :ols: Good for a laugh

Darren McFadden
Jimmy Graham
Marcell Dareus
Geno Atkins
Sean Lee
Brian Cushing
Kam Chancellor
Jairus Byrd

Edited by KERRAKPO9198, 10 March 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#4 LittleTinyUnbornBaby

LittleTinyUnbornBaby

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Mara will find a reson to hit us with another $30 million plus fine. Probably for drafting a better qb than Eli

#5 KERRAKPO9198

KERRAKPO9198

The Benchwarmer

• Banned
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I also hope we resign Orakpo at the very least.

#6 skinsfan242

skinsfan242

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

I don't understand the rush to cut Carriker. Last year we all wanted him resigned. Him and Jenkins are a great pair to have on the team.

#7 KERRAKPO9198

KERRAKPO9198

The Benchwarmer

• Banned
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

I don't understand the rush to cut Carriker. Last year we all wanted him resigned. Him and Jenkins are a great pair to have on the team.

I agree, I like Carriker and would rather cut Bowen if it came down to it, they are both scheduled to make about the same amount of money next season.

I think Hall is as good as gone though.

---------- Post added March-10th-2013 at 11:26 PM ----------

Marcell Dareus at NT would be dreamy

http://profootballta...to-nose-tackle/

It was a defensive performance that has Bills fans rightfully dreaming about an AFC East title. The key change may have been the move of Marcell Dareus from defensive end to nose tackle.

The No. 3 overall pick had 2.5 sacks and two more tackles for loss. He chased Beck to the sideline on one fourth down play.

“You can’t find a big guy that runs like that,” linebacker Nick Barnett said via the Buffalo News.

We’ve watched Dareus closely in Bills games this year. He’s been solid for a rookie up until now, but this was the breakout game everyone wanted to see.

“He played unbelievable,” teammate Chris Kelsay said. “He made the plays that needed to be made. He’s a force to be reckoned with.”

http://www.buffaloru...nant-nose-guard

But when asked for his thoughts on Dareus (at about 11:10 here), Weaver replied with the most specific answer I've yet heard from a Bills coach:

[He has] all the talent in the world. To see a big man with that much athletic ability is rare. So we just gotta, you know, obviously do some different technique teaching, probably different than what he's been doing. We'll get him through that, but man, I'm so excited to work with Marcell. He's got so much talent. He could be a truly dominant nose guard.

Dareus

Edited by KERRAKPO9198, 10 March 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#8 jfriedenthal

jfriedenthal

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Interesting... another almost $16m if Hall and Carriker aren't here. I personally hope they both are, but that is a big chunk of change, and we are required to spend a certain amount under the new CBA, too if I recall correctly.
---------- Post added March-10th-2013 at 11:40 PM ----------

Would LOVE Montario Hardesty as a change of pace, too. He'd be cheap because of his injuries... Also, Dexter McCluster as a scatback/ return guy/ receiver.

Edited by jfriedenthal, 10 March 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#9 SittingBull

SittingBull

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

If Jairus Byrd doesn't get a long term contract before next year and we still don't have free safety figured out he could be a target.

#10 Rufus T Firefly

Rufus T Firefly

The Pro Bowlers

• Members
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

He's missing about 6.5 mil from dead cap on players with voidable contract years (Morgan, Fletcher, Merriweather). Once you add that and the contracts we just signed, the contracts we are going to sign, two draft classes, and then start thinking about the pricetags on players we need to re-sign as well as the number of roster spots left to be filled, it's not going to look like nearly so much space.

#11 buckeyeG

buckeyeG

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

With that said,this could be a down year for the skins(and NO! Nobody want's to see a down year) but with that kind of cap space in the upcoming seasons,the skins should dominate the NFC east for years.

The question is...Can you sit with another year of 8-8..7-9?

Yes I know you would have to hit quality players in FA and they would have to to gel with the team.....but thank GOD Vinny is no longer in control of this team.

#12 Murphs56

Murphs56

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

Talib is a perfect fit in my opinion. A big, physical corner to combat the NFC East wide outs. It's just going to come down to at what cost. Is cutting Moss and possibly others reason to sign him? I do know we desperately need Secondary help. That's what we need to address more than anything

Edited by Murphs56, 11 March 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#13 SkinsNoles21

SkinsNoles21

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

With that said,this could be a down year for the skins(and NO! Nobody want's to see a down year) but with that kind of cap space in the upcoming seasons,the skins should dominate the NFC east for years.

The question is...Can you sit with another year of 8-8..7-9?

Yes I know you would have to hit quality players in FA and they would have to to gel with the team.....but thank GOD Vinny is no longer in control of this team.

I keep looking at the year to confirm this was written recently. What makes you say we are going 8-8... 7-9? We went 10-6 with a team that was missing a lot more key pieces than it will be next year. Orakpo, Carriker, Meriweather, etc.

This team already has more pieces next year than this ... aside from the secondary which wasn't any good for us so it needed to be replaced.

#14 Rdskns2000

Rdskns2000

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Frankly, it's getting tiring singing other teams players when it's a crap shoot. You will either hit or miss. I would rather we draft good and then resign our own players when they are eligible for free agency.

The most consistent teams develop their own players.

#15 cphil006

cphil006

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I know we're pushing a lot of contracts into next season and taking less of a hit this season (kind of the opposite of our "uncapped" year)... but, it has also prevented us from signing big-time free agents that become more expensive each season... this puts us in position to either trade for a top player whose team wants to dump his contract... or sign a top player in a gap we need filled...

#16 buckeyeG

buckeyeG

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I keep looking at the year to confirm this was written recently. What makes you say we are going 8-8... 7-9? We went 10-6 with a team that was missing a lot more key pieces than it will be next year. Orakpo, Carriker, Meriweather, etc.

This team already has more pieces next year than this ... aside from the secondary which wasn't any good for us so it needed to be replaced.

I said "could be a down year",with not knowing how RG3 is going to come back from his knee injury and being cap strapped by the league,not to mention a 1st place schedule,it could be.

#17 Bang

Bang

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 12,528 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

I think Orakpo and Carriker are in "show me" years here. Injuries that nag and snag aren't worth paying for.
I do like Perry Riley, and I would absolutely like to see the team re-sign him based on performance thus far. I think he's a leader, a smart and aggressive player, and can take over that "Heart of the Defense" that Fletcher will inevitably leave behind.

Josh Wilson is also in 'show me'.. I thought he was outstanding in 2010, but last year looked shaky. I have confidence in him, and he's the type of guy you don't need to break the bank on. I expect him to be a serviceable starting CB, not a star.

Overall I'd like us to be much more inclined to develop players than just go to the mall every March and buy them. I think one of the mainstays of prolonged success in the free agency era by teams like NE, Philly, Pittsburgh, is continuity of philosophy. I really want our FO to stay in place and evolve rather than be replaced tme and again. I think those teams have a distinct advantage in that they can scout talent further in advance, and target players that are expected to develop into what the team expects, rather than 3rd and 4th round guys who we expect to step in and start at a high level because we've got huge holes.
They're like pez dispensers. Once a player leaves, the next guy steps in and performs. This is the model we should follow.

~Bang

Edited by Bang, 12 March 2013 - 07:25 PM.