Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm Nervous, but I'm Not Norvous

kleese

Poor Norv, even 12 years after he coached his last game here, I still use his name and likeness to express my 20 years of frustration as a fan. No need to rehash the past...we all that Norv's team were either terrible or excruciating. Sometimes both. And after Norv left, the song kind of remained the same with a little diversion there during Gibbs II.

So after 20 years of bad football, missed opportunities, and painful losses, the fanbase sort of develops a complex. Expect the worst. To make things easier, many just refer to it as being "Norvous." It's a horrible feeling of impending doom.

I've been Norvous for almost 20 years now. After we beat Philly at FedEx, I was still very Norvous about Thanksgiving. I was going to be there, a win would make me immensely happy, so therefore, I knew we'd lose. Inevitable. 3-17 in our last 20 trips to Big D.

That night after we beat them, I wrote "Today, we escaped the past."

That was it for me. I was finally able to let go. I did not expect us to keep winning, but I no longer expected us to always mess things up.

I am not Norvous anymore. It's been cured. I do not fear that we will fail to show up Sunday or that we will make inexplicable mistakes. I don't fear choking or getting out worked by a tougher team. I don't fear being totally out coached.

I do fear that Dallas will expose our weaknesses and I do fear that maybe RG3 isn't QUITE ready for this stage, especially with a gimpy leg. I'm not sure who covers Dez Bryant or Witten and Romo sits to pee's scrambling concerns me...our secondary breaks down quickly when a QB buys time. I am nervous about all of those things. But those are all simply legitimate football-related concerns. I think if we lose it will be because Dallas outplays us, not because we self destruct or show up unprepared.

I am a confident fan now. 180 degrees different than just two months ago. I take nothing for granted; no guarantees we will be in this position or better again next year, but I am confident we will be. I think the Redskins have stabs listed their organization and have adopted a wining philosophy with a solid chain of command. And we finally got a dose of good luck landing the right QB at the right time.

I am fully confident that the Redskins will be relevant contenders for the foreseeable future. It is a great feeling. 2005 and 2007 were fun, but those teams were built to win right then...neither if those runs felt overly sustainable. This team feels like they are just barely tapping into their potential.

I am psyched about Sunday Night and I can't wait for kickoff. I am also nervous as hell, because I know how deflated I'll be if we come this far and then the season ends against our rivals. But I am not Norvous. And I don't think I will be ever again.

Sounds like you are from Jorsey. I do love the idea though and this is the first time I have heard of Norvous.

You will forever be quoted now.

I am terribly nervous about the game. I just dont feel we have the horses to outrace them at this point with little resistance to throw in their way. But I am not Norvous anymore either. Oddly enough I felt that weight slink off my shoulders as I walked out of Cowboys stadium too. The air felt different.

its weird, ive been more "norvous" the past 6 weeks than i am this week. im not even nervous. i had the utmost confidence in our team. they have proved that they can win, and overcome early deficits (which imo, was the hardest thing for this team to do). in 2007, it seemed as though we were riding the emotion of sean taylors death, and eventually ran out. this year, we're winning because our team is superior to the other team. the team has finally come together. the cowboys are 8-7, their running game is suspect, and their defense is decimated with injuries. all they have is Romo sits to pee and bryant. how would you feel if ur whole team relied on those 2 players? they dont scare me.

I'm definitely nervous (Norvous). This is the type of game that DC sports teams have found themselves in and choked horribly over the past several years (e.g. Nats - NLDS Game 5 at home, Caps - multiple Game 7's at home). I'm particularly nervous about Dallas mounting a big comeback in the fourth quarter (like they've done all season). A win on Sunday would be transcendent, but a loss will be devastating. That being said, I'm still going to the game and plan on screaming my lungs out. HTTR!

I'm definitely nervous (Norvous). This is the type of game that DC sports teams have found themselves in and choked horribly over the past several years (e.g. Nats - NLDS Game 5 at home, Caps - multiple Game 7's at home). I'm particularly nervous about Dallas mounting a big comeback in the fourth quarter (like they've done all season). A win on Sunday would be transcendent, but a loss will be devastating. That being said, I'm still going to the game and plan on screaming my lungs out. HTTR!

Yeah, but Cowboy fans can say the same thing. The Cowboys in the Romo sits to pee era haven't been known for winning games like this.

I am terrified. One streak of 6 games in a row is just not enough to make me confident. We have gone on these streaks before, only to see the team fail at the end and then suddenly turn to crap again the following season. I want this immensely! I honestly DO believe this team is going to be much better over the next several years, but Sunday has me scared to death.

Dude, I'm a nervous wreck. Miserable.

same here and it is the reason why the week has gone at a snails pace.

---------- Post added December-28th-2012 at 04:50 PM ----------

Nervous isn't the word. I'm terrified because I want this so so bad. I'd give anything for the Vikes and Bears to lay giant eggs on Sunday

It's what I want to, but it's also what the Giants want. they need us to win and the Bears & Giants to lose and then they are in. That being said, there is no way they finish ahead of us in the division. Now that is payback.

---------- Post added December-28th-2012 at 04:53 PM ----------

I am terrified. One streak of 6 games in a row is just not enough to make me confident. We have gone on these streaks before, only to see the team fail at the end and then suddenly turn to crap again the following season. I want this immensely! I honestly DO believe this team is going to be much better over the next several years, but Sunday has me scared to death.

5 win sin a row in 2001

5 in a row plus 1 in the playoffs in 2005

4 in a row in 2007

6 in a row and counting in 2012.

We haven't had many steaks like this before in the last 13 years. As a matter of fact, we haven't had a streak like this in the regular season since 1996. The previous teams since the turn of the century were old teams that were built to win now. This team is young with management that knows how to build a team. Those teams also didn't have a QB at the helm a #1 WR and a top flight RB at the helm. Neither one the other winning streaks had an offense that averaged above 20 ppg.

So glad somebody else started this thread/thought because this is how I feel...

I hate this Cowboys team but I do not fear them.

These are not Tom Landry’s Cowboys that haunted our childhood dreams in the 1970’s and very early 1980’s.

This is not Roger Staubach under center wiping away a 17 point lead and throwing two touchdowns in the last 140 seconds to leave theRedskins home in 1979. This is not Harvey Martin throwing a funeralwreath in the Redskins locker room after that game.

These are not Jimmy Johnson’s “How ‘bout them Cowboys” fromthe 1990’s who were so loaded that you didn’t so much fear them as much asaccepted that the outcome of a game with them was a foregone conclusion. A team so loaded with weapons had it not been for Jerry Jones’ colossal ego,the Cowboys should have two more Lombardi’s in their case.

These are not even the Bill Parcells’ led Cowboys that couldfind a way to win with Quincy Carter or Alexander Wright under center. That little bit of doubt that crept into your mind knowing that if anybodycould find a way to beat the Redskins with subpar if not inferior talent, itwas The Tuna.

So yes, I say to you fellow Redskins brethren, while I hatethis Dallas Cowboys team, I do not fear them.

There is no Cowboys’ mystique surrounding Tony Romo sits to pee.

There is no fear that Jason Garrett has something up hissleeve that will take advantage of a weakness.

There is no angst that offspring from Buddy Ryan, somebloated blowhard that gets more air time than the head coach, has figured outthe secret to RGIII.

The 4 Letter with all their so called pundits, theirseparate little ESPN-Dallas, Ed Werder, John Clayton and Colin Cowherd, thebiggest Romo sits to pee lover ever, can talk about how Dallas’ loss, their LOSS, to theNew Orleans Saints has them poised to win in Washington. Really? Let Jaws talk about how Romoshredded the Redskins on Thanksgiving Day just falling short of avictory. Never mind that the Cowboys were down 28-3 and Romo sits to pee’s bloatedstats came from a team playing catch up against a “prevent” and “protect”defense designed to preserve a win in a game that never really had legitimatechance to win. Yeah, I guess sometimes I hate the press, but I certainlydo not fear them.

Let them babble on about how this is legacy defininggame for Tony Romo sits to pee. A game that will define his career. I’m sorry,did I pull a Buck Rogers and wake up a few years late? Didn’t he alreadyhave some of these so called legacy defining games? As I recall, he has lost all of them but one. I think we know and if the Cowboys do not know,they are delusional, what they have in Tony Romo sits to pee. His time in the NFCEast is past while in Washington, the future is now and it wears number 10.

Again, to you Loyal Sons of Washington, I say, I hate theCowboys but I do not fear them.

I am nervous. More than earlier in the week. I'm listening to a lot of NFL radio, and it seems folks like Pat Kirwan and others are either stating flatly that Romo sits to pee's going to destroy us, or saying they are leaning to us but coming up with all kinds of reasons we're going to lose (Kirwan in particular). Plus, the mediots on TV spend most of their time talking about how hot the Cowboys are and how torridly is playing. They give RGIII love (sometimes grudgingly), but as Whitney sang (paraphrasing), they're saving all their love for Romo sits to pee. I hear how Demarco is going to run over our defense, how Dez is going to torch our backfield, how DWare is going to lead the charge against our offense, and, of course, how the Cowboys have that precious 'tape' we keep hearing about on RGIII, and how things are going to be different.

Have we not won 6 in a row? Haven't we outscored the Cowboys over the same period? Doesn't having lots of pass attempts sometimes mean that you are playing catchup?

Bottom line, we need to beat the Cowboys. And if we can, solidly. I've said before, those of you going to the game, be loud!!!!

Don't get me started on Norv, Being in San Diego he brought the same issues he had in DC to SD. I'm sure you saw his handiwork this year with 4th and 29, 24-0 etc. Not to mention Bob Griffin was on pace before he got hurt to outrun their top rusher in Ryan Mathews and out pass Rivers. When I think of Norv in DC I think of 1996 when we started 7-1 then 8-3 and collapsed in the final season at RFK. '99 was a fun season but I can't forget the TB playoff ending. It was his MO to blow leads late and late season collapses in clutch situations. Its not the case with this team.

Archived