On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Mar. 18, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Wed., Mar. 19, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Thu., Mar. 20, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Mar. 21, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Mar. 24, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Mar. 25, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Mar. 26, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Mar. 27, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Mar. 28, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Mar. 31, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Photo

CBS Sports: Report: Cowboys impose new set of rules for Dez Bryant to live by

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 Califan007

Califan007

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 29,266 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

http://www.cbssports...yant-to-live-by

For all of his talent, Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant has had a tough time staying off the police blotter.

To that end, in the same way you must treat a petulant child, the Cowboys have enforced a set of rules for Bryant to follow. ESPN Dallas has the details of the agreement to which Bryant agreed last week.

A few of the rules: a curfew of midnight, no drinking alcohol, no strip clubs, nightclubs allowed only if he has a security team with him, he must have security personnel with him at all times, he will be driven to practice and games by said security personnel.

The reasons for the Cowboys insistence on a new Bryant lifestyle are obvious and varied.

[...]Though oftentimes Cowboys owner Jerry Jones comes off as a coddler for talented, yet troubled players (Jeff Pearlman's book “Boys Will Be Boys” has some fascinating stories about all this), he certainly seems to be taking a stand here.

Especially when he says he's “too pissed to talk” to Bryant and, “He's just got to come on, step up and accept responsibility, and I think he can get there. I'm demanding that he work through it. He must do it or we can't count on him.”

#2 zoony

zoony

Ring of Fame

• Moderators
  • 20,666 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

I see this ending beautifully

Jerruh, you knew what he was when you drafted him. Don't start getting high and mighty on us

#3 Destino

Destino

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 17,732 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

They shouldn't have made this public. Dez Bryant can easily agree that he's messed up and yet still understandably want nothing to do with the cowboys organization because of this public shaming.

#4 Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Another classic Jerry Jones draft pick.

This cat is an embarrasment, and is close to pissing away All World talent.

#5 Unforgiven

Unforgiven

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

Crazy talent but the guy is a headcase. It's ridiculous when a professional adult needs more supervision than a 10 year old because he can't be trusted by himself.

Of course he'll agree to it for now because he's not in a position to really fight it. Just wait though, after a month or two of being under constant surveillance and being treated like this he's going to start to resent it and it'll become an issue again.

#6 Califan007

Califan007

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 29,266 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Crazy talent but the guy is a headcase. It's ridiculous when a professional adult needs more supervision than a 10 year old because he can't be trusted by himself.

Of course he'll agree to it for now because he's not in a position to really fight it. Just wait though, after a month or two of being under constant surveillance and being treated like this he's going to start to resent it and it'll become an issue again.

They gave Pac Man 24 hour surveillance, too.

He ended up getting into a fight with his bodyguard :ols:...

#7 hamptonskinsfan

hamptonskinsfan

The Role Player

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

They gave Pac Man 24 hour surveillance, too.

He ended up getting into a fight with his bodyguard :ols:...

I was thinking the same thing when I read this. It didnt work for Pac Man and I highly doubt it will work for Dez

#8 Missouri_Skins_Fan

Missouri_Skins_Fan

The Rookie

• Banned
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

Got to watch "First Take" tomorrow for sure now. (as well as Mike & Mike)
lol

#9 Hitman21ST

Hitman21ST

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 21,073 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

Anyone watch that show on USA "Necessary Roughness"?

It seems like that show was based on the life of T.O., but it's getting to seem more and more like Dez now.

#10 kevinklein

kevinklein

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

What a nuisance. Let's all hope he goes TO on their asses.

#11 paloosa

paloosa

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

You should see how some people are reacting on NFL.com. They say things like, "At least he is try? He understands he has a problem and asked for help." What? He never asked for help. Jerry Jones told him this is the way it is going to be or you're gone. But Jerry will never learn. He continues to draft or sign players that he thinks he can temper or even tame their problems. He thinks he is a person that can change them into productive citizens in society becaue of his work with troubled players and youth in the past. What an idiot. He gives the NFL a bad name with players like T.O., Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson, and now Dez Bryant continuing their issues off the field. It brings a smile to my face every time I hear something like this happening to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys. And he calls the Cowboys America's team. You never saw any trouble on the Cowboys before Jerry Jones owned it or during Tom Landry's coaching days. Landry would have got rid of them. I remember when they had a QB get all big and bad with I think Staubach and he was gone the next day. I don't remember the guys name but Landry ran a tight ship unlike Jerry's Circus World.

#12 Reic

Reic

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

Dez Bryant at night clubs, couple of cute girls comes hey, hey dez you're hot, lets drink

"No sorry, i'm not allowed to drink, my boss forbids it, and I can't go home with you cause these guys have to drive me everywhere"

#13 TryTheBeal!

TryTheBeal!

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

This is gonna be a great year to be a Cowboy-hater. It's just setting up perfectly.

#14 amm0409

amm0409

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

If this guys has a set of rules he has to live by, his more than likely going to break them.

#15 SWFLSkins

SWFLSkins

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 17,448 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Wait, Dez agreed to this? hhahaaa, pretty sad when you're boss has to have a nanny sit you to keep you from trouble.

#16 martytheman

martytheman

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

I for one can't wait for this to happen.
This dude is an insane nutcase who is about to be smothered with rules, hell catholic priests have less strict standards to live by!

I figure when he rebels against his rules, he's gonna do it in a big way, the fireworks should be spectacular!!!

#17 doncherry

doncherry

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

You should see how some people are reacting on NFL.com. They say things like, "At least he is try? He understands he has a problem and asked for help." What? He never asked for help. Jerry Jones told him this is the way it is going to be or you're gone. But Jerry will never learn. He continues to draft or sign players that he thinks he can temper or even tame their problems. He thinks he is a person that can change them into productive citizens in society becaue of his work with troubled players and youth in the past. What an idiot. He gives the NFL a bad name with players like T.O., Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson, and now Dez Bryant continuing their issues off the field. It brings a smile to my face every time I hear something like this happening to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys. And he calls the Cowboys America's team. You never saw any trouble on the Cowboys before Jerry Jones owned it or during Tom Landry's coaching days. Landry would have got rid of them. I remember when they had a QB get all big and bad with I think Staubach and he was gone the next day. I don't remember the guys name but Landry ran a tight ship unlike Jerry's Circus World.

Hollywood Henderson would disagree.....

#18 pjfootballer

pjfootballer

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 27,975 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hollywood Henderson would disagree.....

Terry Bradshaw couldn't spell CAT if you spotted him the C and the T.

#19 Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Terry Bradshaw couldn't spell CAT if you spotted him the C and the T.

That's funnah! (Terry Bradshaw voice)

#20 MrSilverMaC

MrSilverMaC

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

I find myself wondering if jerry is also going to sew dez's name in his underwear and pack him a lunch with a sippy-cup too.

If this went the pacman route it would be absolutely priceless. I thank god for the day when jerry decided to pass on randy moss which further strangthened his resolve to draft the dez bryants of the nfl world.

Edited by MrSilverMaC, 27 August 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#21 doncherry

doncherry

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

I find myself wondering if jerry is also going to sew dez's name in his underwear and pack him a lunch with a sippy-cup too.

If this went the pacman route it would be absolutely priceless. I thank god for the day when jerry decided to pass on randy moss which further strangthened his resolve to draft the dez bryants of the nfl world.

you hit the nail on the head. Passing on Moss not only deprived them of an uber talented receiver who wanted to play for Dallas, when he proceeded to light up the league, Double-J vowed to never make the same mistake again. I don't know if drafting Dez was a mistake, his numbers have been pretty good and everybody seems to think that the sky is the limit for him. However, the more I hear about him off the field, the more I cringe. I just can't wait for the season to start. The off-season is not friendly to him, dude needs structure.

#22 roanoker

roanoker

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Tick, tick, tick. Just a matter of time.

#23 AsiaticSkinsFan

AsiaticSkinsFan

The Rookie

• Banned
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

Im really disgusted by this. I am sick and tired of this paternalistic nonsense with athletes. They are not children, let them live their lives.

And if the Cowboys are really concerned with Dez, get him real help on a human level. Not on a "dont do this and that" level.

#24 Big Blue Joe

Big Blue Joe

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

Im really disgusted by this. I am sick and tired of this paternalistic nonsense with athletes. They are not children, let them live their lives.

And if the Cowboys are really concerned with Dez, get him real help on a human level. Not on a "dont do this and that" level.

Don't worry. The NFLPA will never let this stand. They're not going to allow teams to dictate what players do in their personal lives.

Edited by Big Blue Joe, 28 August 2012 - 03:15 AM.

#25 NoCalMike

NoCalMike

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 12,631 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:44 AM

Situations like this is what makes me sour on pro sports a little bit more each passing year. No one is telling Dez he has to be an angel off the field, but if you are the GM/Owner of a team and you honestly feel you need to go to these measures to keep a player from hurting the team then it really puts the "win by any means necessary" phrase into perspective.

Some guys, no matter how much raw talent they have just don't deserve the opportunity in front of their face. Dez is too young still probably to completely give up on for Dallas, but the fact that Jerry Jones thinks this kind of thing is classy or reasonable merely because the guy can score TDs on the field, is a little sickening.

#26 ixcuincle

ixcuincle

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

How hard can it be to act like a normal person?

Don't break the law, that simple. I don't care if you were raised in the poor neighborhoods. Maybe it's because I've always been a law-abiding citizen, but whenever I see stories of the NFL millionaires breaking the law and DUI'ing all over the place, I always scratch my head. You make millions of dollars. How do you get in trouble? How do you DUI? Why are you even driving your own vehicle? If I had millions I'd have a chauffeur.

#27 Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

How hard can it be to act like a normal person?

Don't break the law, that simple. I don't care if you were raised in the poor neighborhoods. Maybe it's because I've always been a law-abiding citizen, but whenever I see stories of the NFL millionaires breaking the law and DUI'ing all over the place, I always scratch my head. You make millions of dollars. How do you get in trouble? How do you DUI? Why are you even driving your own vehicle? If I had millions I'd have a chauffeur.

In this case, it's more about behaving like an adult, rather than breaking the law, that's caused this unfortunate situation. But yeah, I agree that this is going overboard, but I can't really say that I care all that much.

Edited by Mr. Sinister, 28 August 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#28 G.A.C.O.L.B.

G.A.C.O.L.B.

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,365 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Beyond just implementing the rules, the fact that they're talking about this and being so open with it tells me that **** really is THAT bad with Bryant. That they're trying to put as much pressure on him as possible to get his **** together. Not a good sign for Cowboy fans.

#29 pjfootballer

pjfootballer

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 27,975 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

Even if you don't have a chauffeur, you make so much money, you can pay for a cab or one of those "ride home" programs where they stuff a little motor bike in the trunk of your car and drive you and your car home.

Edited by pjfootballer, 28 August 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#30 Popeman38

Popeman38

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
There are elementary school children with fewer rules than Dez Bryant.

#31 G.A.C.O.L.B.

G.A.C.O.L.B.

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,365 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

Even if you don't have a chauffeur, you make so much money, you can pay for a cab or one of those "ride home" programs where they stuff a little motor bike in the trunk of your car and drive you and your car home.

Or how about you just stay in the house? Seriously, you have an opportunity that 99.9% of the population would kill for. An opportunity to make millions and millions of dollars. Stay in the ****ing house.

#32 DCranon21

DCranon21

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

I don't see this ending well for Bryant and the Cowboys. He's a grown ass man, and he has to make that decision on how to perform off the field. Like GACOLB said, stay in the house if you know you will get in trouble.

#33 pjfootballer

pjfootballer

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 27,975 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

But some people will defend his "right' to go to nighclubs and stripclubs as a 24 year old. Sometimes you have to save the stupid from themselves.

#34 amm0409

amm0409

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible - the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family.

Virginia Satir

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 11:44 AM ----------

Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Douglas Bader

#35 Bang

Bang

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 12,499 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

Well... lets face it.
Dez really hasn't had any home training.
His mom was a 14 yr old crackhead. his dad is a pimp.

So, he's a young man with issues. If the cowboys feel that giving him some fatherly discipline will help him, and if he feels it will help him, then more power to them. I'd rather he get his life in order and grow up then not.

it's nice he's screwing up the Cowboys, but I do sort of feel for him. It's ultimately on him to mature, but he's lacked severely in the guidance dept.

~Bang

#36 MrSilverMaC

MrSilverMaC

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Drew Pearson takes issue with 'Dez Bryant Rules'

Expressing a warm-but-stern level of No. 88 Big D brotherhood, former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Drew Pearson has come down against the so-called "Dez Bryant Rules."

It was reported on Sunday that a strict set of off-the-field guidelines have been in put in place for Bryant, the talented wideout who has struggled to stay out of trouble since being taken in the first round of the 2010 draft...

...why can't Dez adjust to this? Why can't he become a man?"

#37 WALEOVECHKIN

WALEOVECHKIN

The Special Teams Ace

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

ESPN: The strict guidelines on Dez Bryant's personal life were a result of the Dallas Cowboys receiver asking for help, his adviser said.

During a Tuesday appearance on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM's "Ben & Skin Show," David Wells said Bryant realized he needed to make some changes and asked for guidance. Wells said he formed a support group that included Texas state senator, Bryant's attorney Royce West and a couple of ministers who sat down with Bryant to form a plan that was approved by Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones.

"(Bryant) wanted to be a part of it," said Wells, a former bail bondsman who assisted several ex-Cowboys and headed the team-paid security detail for cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones in 2008. "Then Jerry Jones is in great support of this system and said, 'Let's get it done.' It came out that it's all about somebody forcing it, but he's accepted responsibility himself to get past any negativity that's out there and try to move forward."

#38 HailToTheRedskins14

HailToTheRedskins14

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

I'm not all anti-Dez and hoping he messes up again...

but Schefter hit the nail on the head this morning. He said they need to take him aside, and say if you stay out of trouble for 2 (or 3? However many years is left on his contract) years, you will be paid like Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. Your children's children's children won't have to worry about a nickel. If that doesn't get through to you, nothing will.

#39 Deebs

Deebs

The Waterboy

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

:ols::ols::ols:

Dez Bryant Signs Formal Contract Agreeing To Basic Rules of Human Behavior

#40 sjinhan

sjinhan

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Give the guy a break. If Dez is really reaching out for some help and this is what him and the advisor agree to as the best method of getting his life on track.

I dont say "back on track" because more and more I read about this guy... he never grew up an "ideal" situation...