Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Hacksaw - First off, if anybody else but Mel had done this film, there would be multiple Oscar noms.  Awesome movie.  One of the most violent movies I've ever seen, made the D-day scene from SVP look like Harry Potter.  I didn't have a reason, but something about Andrew Garfield never sat with me...never really cared for him.  That's all gone now lol, I love the guy.  He smashed it.

How is there not a statue of Desmond Doss on the national mall?!  He's one of the greatest Americans to have ever lived.  Incredible story. how the **** were all those war movies made in the 50s 60s and 70s and nobody touched the Doss story.  I'm sure Mel embellished a bit but still, but 75 men....goodness.  A.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 3

George Washington (2000).  Follows a bunch of kids in a poor town over a summer as they pass the time and deal with a tragedy.  I think I might've recommended this in here before, but I'm not sure I ever gave it the review it deserves.  

Very much in the style of a Terence Malick (Thin Red Line) movie, this film relies more on lyricism and tone than on an overly complex plot.  It's poetry on screen.  Other than Paul Schneider, the entire ensemble cast is comprised of non-actors.  The performances given by the kids here are simply incredible.  I still marvel at it, even though I've seen it several times.  

The cinematography is as good as any you will find in the indie or commercial arena.  It's that good.  Shot on 35mm anamorphic, it offers plenty of breathtaking images.  Considering the budget, I think this stands as one of the finest pieces of independent cinema I have ever seen.  It will quietly change your life.  4/4.

Here's the opening sequence.  If you enjoy it, I recommend finding it on Blu-Ray.  Criterion put one out not too long ago.  

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

George Washington (2000).  

Very much in the style of a Terence Malick (Thin Red Line) movie, this film relies more on lyricism and tone than on an overly complex plot.  .  

It will quietly change your life. 

You had me at the bold parts.  I was sold already, but  the opening scene just made me go from "i'll add it to the list" to "I'm going to watch it this weekend."  

Thanks, Alvin.  :cheers:

• Like 1

Edge of Seventeen - loved this movie.  Hailey Seinfeld was brilliant, she plays a perfect rebellious teenage asshole.  One of the better teen dramedies I've seen in quite a while. Steinfeld earned that Golden Globe nom, she's going to be a star.  Didn't know Woody Harrelson was in this joint. A.

19 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

It will quietly change your life.  4/4.

George Washington - Beautiful movie.  As Alvin said, the kids were weren't actors, and they knocked it out of the park.  Far as the Terrence Malick angle, it felt like I was watching The Tree of Life, which I friggin' loved (many didn't care for it).  Cinematography was on a trill.  Beautifully shot, and loved the angles and focused to unfocused images.  Childhood is an innocence that should be protected, bad things happen to good people for no reason, and kids are resilient.  That's what I took away from this movie.  Considering this joint had a $42,000 budget, George Washington has got to be one of the greatest indie films I've ever seen.   A.

When the credits rolled for GW, I told my wife "I wish I could surround myself with people that make these type of movies and the people that enjoy them.  I feel that, together, we could save mankind from itself." :rofl89:  George Washington had me deep in the feels last night, man.   

Spoiler

I knew punk ass big dude was gonna squeal.  All good, he did the right thing.  But I could tell it was him that was gonna fold.

I knew George's uncle wasn't gonna go for that dog :( 

"Why the **** she wanna mess with George?  He stinks and his skull ain't even fused together"  :rofl89:

2 hours ago, youngchew said:

When the credits rolled for GW, I told my wife "I wish I could surround myself with people that make these type of movies and the people that enjoy them.  I feel that, together, we could save mankind from itself." :rofl89:  George Washington had me deep in the feels last night, man.   

My man!  Yeah, it kinda gets to you.  I'm glad you enjoyed it. :cheers:

Paterson - Adam Driver being Adam Driver.  This is one of the weirdest movies I've seen in quite some time.  A bus driver and part time poet, Paterson  (who also lives in Paterson NJ) goes about his daily routine, driving a bus and spending time with his wife.  That's about it, really.   There's more to it and Driver was great and I know it's at a 96% on Rotten but I'd go more 80%.  B.

Paterson.jpg

John Wick: Chapter 2.  I've always been a big fan of gun play films, going back to my early days of watching John Woo flicks.  He called his style 'ballet with guns' and now they are dubbing the John Wick style as 'gun fu'.  I don't really care what you call it, it sure is a lot of fun when done right.  And here, it's done right.

Best popcorn flick I've seen in a good while.  Lots of fun.  The 'mirror' sequence is sensational.  I liked this one a bit more than the original, which I felt overstayed its welcome just a bit.  3.5/4.

3 hours ago, youngchew said:

Paterson - Adam Driver being Adam Driver.  This is one of the weirdest movies I've seen in quite some time.  

This is coming here next week.  One of my friends really liked it, I've just never been a big Jim Jarmusch fan.  He's one of those directors that I've just never been able to consistently lock step with.  I did like Dead Man (Johnny Depp) a lot, but that's because I enjoyed the oddity of its pacing and I like Depp.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

John Wick: Chapter 2.  I've always been a big fan of gun play films, going back to my early days of watching John Woo flicks.  He called his style 'ballet with guns' and now they are dubbing the John Wick style as 'gun fu'.  I don't really care what you call it, it sure is a lot of fun when done right.  And here, it's done right.

Best popcorn flick I've seen in a good while.  Lots of fun.  The 'mirror' sequence is sensational.  I liked this one a bit more than the original, which I felt overstayed its welcome just a bit.  3.5/4.

This is coming here next week.  One of my friends really liked it, I've just never been a big Jim Jarmusch fan.  He's one of those directors that I've just never been able to consistently lock step with.  I did like Dead Man (Johnny Depp) a lot, but that's because I enjoyed the oddity of its pacing and I like Depp.  

Want to see that movie really badly. Thank you so much for giving a quick review and not spoil any of the movie.  You really should be a paid movie critic.

• Like 1

Minimalism - quick 74 minute documentary on Minimalist lifestyle.  Thanks for helping me realizing what a POS I am.  Ugh.  B.

Imperial Dreams - John Boyega (Force Awakens) is fresh out of jail in Watts.  He's trying to go straight but the system makes it impossible.  If anyone is critical of young hood dudes not being able to get their lives together, you need to watch this film.  Boyega and his son were great on screen together.  I wish more "hood movies" were this well-acted.  B+.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 3

Lion - prepare the feels, it's gonna touch the soul.  The litte boy who played Saroo might be thee cutest kid I've ever seen, adorable.   Dev is such a good actor, Nicole Kidman turned out a strong performance as well.  Very touchingood film.  Movies about interracial adoption and identity issues always gut me.

Wife cried, but I sniffled but managed to hold em back.  This movie probably won't win any Oscars but it deserves the multiple nominations.  A.

• Like 1

ifzp1d8g.jpg?v=1481273798

(2016)

Civil Unrest in the European country of Moldova has US forces engaging the insurgents however there is a new threat who has decided both are their enemy.

This new threat resides in an alternative spectrum that makes them invisible to the naked eye and instant death to anyone confronting them. 

One of the freshest ideas I've come across. It starts off very promising, but ultimately imo ends up in sci Fi action purgatory (no pun Intended).

Seemed like they were intent on wowing the audience when they probably should've kept everything simpler.

Cool visuals, though... But that's ultimately all that's left at the end.

• Like 2

Arrival

Wanted to see this in theaters but it never happened.  It was an incredible movie.  The acting, the score.  One of the most well put together alien encounter movies I've ever seen. can't think of a movie I've seen recently that has left me as affected at the end as Arrival did.

Highly recommend.  It's available Amazon, Vudu and I'd assum Ondemand.

• Like 2

Badlands (1974).  Terrence Malick's (The Thin Red Line) debut feature film.  Martin Sheen goes on a cross country spree with a young Sissy Spacek.  I wasn't exposed to Malick's work until I was in college, but I remember thinking that I had never seen a film quite like Badlands.  It was beautiful in many ways, but somehow cold and brutal at the same time.  There was a humanity to it that seemed to be missing from other films.  I remember thinking it was going to be a drama, so I was struck by how violent it was.  

This is considered in many circles to be the best independent film of all time.  It introduced me to another side of cinema, and should warrant consideration from anyone looking to broaden their film horizons.  You'd be hard pressed to find a bad review of this film.  It's the king of the art house and deservedly so. 4/4.

I've started to find these "first four minutes" spots for some of these films.  In some ways, they are better than trailers.  They don't give away as much and you get an idea of what the film is like.  

True Romance fans will recognize the theme music.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, FrFan said:

Silence by Martin Scorcese. Two priests travel to Japan in an attempt to locate their mentor and propagate Catholicism.

It was a good movie about faith and doubts, but not quite The Mission.

Did it "feel" long?  I was going to watch this last night but then saw it was 160 minutes and decided against it.  I have to be in a certain mindset to sit through a nearly 3 hour drama LOL.  

Dough - It's been in the Netflix queue for a while, we finally decided to watch.  About an old Jewish man in an old, traditional Jewish neighborhood in London with a failing bakery business.  In desperate need of an assistant, he hires a young Muslim boy to help bake.  It's a feel good movie that plays on their two faiths knocking against one another, but didn't go nearly as deep as it could have.  But I guess it wasn't meant to take itself too seriously as this was more of a feel good movie than anything.  Jonathan Pryce was awesome but I felt the film only skimmed the surface of what would it could have been.  Still decent.  C.

TSL_DOUGH_CALENDARPAGE-746x1024.jpg

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, youngchew said:

Did it "feel" long?  I was going to watch this last night but then saw it was 160 minutes and decided against it.  I have to be in a certain mindset to sit through a nearly 3 hour drama LOL.  

2h41 to be precise, and yes it was a little bit long considering the "back and forth" plot. The length doesn't impair the overall good rating though.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1