On Now
Coming Up
  • Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Photo

How Much PTO/Vacation Time Do You Get?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#41 JimboDaMan

JimboDaMan

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Not sure. I get 3 personal days plus however much vacation I accrue after 15 years. Our PTO is capped and I lose some every year. Take off about 3 weeks "vacation" a year including personal holidays. I work a lot, but I because I often work evenings and weekends (10:35PM and I'm working now) I have some flexibility to take off during the day, or take days off altogether and just check in periodically for problems.

#42 Duckus

Duckus

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

It depends on the year and election cycle, but 6 or 7 weeks on average total. There is no real amount - we just take what we think is right. I also work 60+ hrs per week at certain times of the years so I don't feel bad taking so much time off.

Edited by Duckus, 06 February 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#43 Bubble Screen

Bubble Screen

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:10 AM

3 personal days and sick leave is accrued per pay period/month. I maybe use 1 or 2 sick days a year and 1 or 2 personal days.

Damn. I would go crazy.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 01:14 AM ----------

Yeah in that sense I get unlimited vacation too.

You are supposed to be on a one month "vacation" as we speak...:)

#44 afkidd

afkidd

The Role Player

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:26 AM

30 a year.

#45 renaissance

renaissance

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

Damn. I would go crazy.[COLOR="Gold"]

Teachers get a good amount of holidays, but I still don't know how some of them make it to work every day. If I'm not feeling 100%, I can still go in to work and get by slacking off a bit. Probably not so easy with 40 little brats running around your office.

#46 Park City Skins

Park City Skins

Ring of Fame

• Moderators
  • 33,829 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

0 Vacation days, 0 sick days unless I'm deathly ill, although I don't get paid for those.

Sounds like the same plan I'm on. Get bathroom breaks though so there. :silly:

#47 mjah

mjah

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

Is that paid vacation?

I`m reading a lot of replies that doesn`t read like it`s a paid vacation. So taking time off... without pay... doesn`t qualify as `vacation` time to me :)

Good question and there's no easy answer to it. My company's compensation plan is structured as a commission with a floor. I'm essentially guaranteed a minimum no matter how much or little I work, and due to some hard work and even more good luck, that minimum is what I'd be happy to make every year anyway. So if I take a bunch of time off and it's a slow year, it's paid vacation no matter how much I take. (If I slack off too much I'll get bought out and kicked to the curb, so there's no loafing around vacuuming up the minimum without working hard.)

Once my commission reaches that minimum level in a given calendar year, then my vacation time effectively becomes unpaid because any day off is a day when I'm not billing -- and I'm no longer below my guaranteed minimum so nothing fills in that lost revenue. But by that point I've made enough for my and my family's comfort, by virtue of passing the minimum, so I don't really fret about losing a billable day.

This setup makes two terrible things really easy:

1. To work constantly -- after all, if I work through every weekend then I've increased my annual income by roughly 40% before taxes etc. Family? What family? I know a few folks who do this and they're miserable.
2. To weigh the merit of each vacation day by saying "This day off will cost me $x in lost revenue. Is is worth it?" The cost equation of the occasional family vacation then is dominated by lost income and I'd never go anywhere.

So I take the vacation when I want to, spend time with my family, and decide to weigh the whole thing only in aggregate at the end of the year. It's not a formula for pinching pennies but it's a formula for happiness. Some of it is paid, some of it isn't, but there's definitely no such thing as a paid sick day. Booooooo.

#48 Forehead

Forehead

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

For me and all Federal employees it is 4 hours of annual and 4 hours of sick leave a paycheck (every two weeks). Once I hit April 13 this year I will go up to 6 hours annual a paycheck. Once you hit 15 years as a Federal employee it goes up to 8 hours of leave. Sick leave never changes from 4 hours.

This is me as well, though my 6 hours kicks in on April 1, so I've got you by about two weeks. Don't know if any other Fed mentioned it, but if you never use your sick leave and have at least 2,000 hours or so at the end of your career, you can trade in all the sick leave and retire a year early, and will still get credit for the extra year of service. That's how it is now anyway, always subject to change.

#49 Pick6

Pick6

The Role Player

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

This is me as well, though my 6 hours kicks in on April 1, so I've got you by about two weeks. Don't know if any other Fed mentioned it, but if you never use your sick leave and have at least 2,000 hours or so at the end of your career, you can trade in all the sick leave and retire a year early, and will still get credit for the extra year of service. That's how it is now anyway, always subject to change.

Plus, I think most, by the time they retire have the max of 250 annual leave and can cash that out as well.

Edited by Pick6, 07 February 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#50 renaissance

renaissance

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Same way at the state of MD if I remember correctly. It was also pretty insane seeing the amount of annual leave payouts (cash) some people get there.

#51 gbear

gbear

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,261 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

For those on the 6 hour plan, the last pay period of the year you get 10 instead of 6 to even out the PTO.

#52 TaylorPickSix

TaylorPickSix

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

My PTO and Sick Pay are separate.

PTO is dictated based on amount of time spent with company (which I'm sure is the same for most of you). I've been here for a year, so I get 2 weeks vacation, plus a "personal holiday" to use at my choice. I also work on a "flexible 9s" schedule where I work 9 hour shifts but get every other Friday off. Last year it was very convenient in lining up with Federal holidays where my off-day happened the following week. If your scheduled day off ever happens on a holiday, you get a "floating holiday" to use whenever you want throughout the callendar year. I am allowed to carry over a max of 2 weeks per year of unused vacation time, and I have the option to "buy out" another week of vacation when I need it that will be adjusted out of my salary.

Sick Pay is 160 hours at 100 percent pay and something like 400 hours at 80 percent pay. With this, you use it when you need it and if you don't happen to use a sick day for 6 full months, your "balance" resets to that mark.

All in all I think I lucked out in landing my job with a company known for having great benefits. There certainly are perks for working for big corporations, even though its definitely not a lifestyle that everyone may enjoy. So far (I graduated from college in May), I am certainly enjoying it.

#53 MLSKINS

MLSKINS

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

I get 4 hours sick and annual leave every pay period. I am not used to this stuff, took a weeks worth of leave after four months on the job to recharge from a brutal school semester. :D

#54 pjfootballer

pjfootballer

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 28,094 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Just started a new job in December. I only get 10 days a year right now of PTO.

#55 MissU28

MissU28

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Damn. I would go crazy.

well, I am a teacher, so I get a few extra days a year :)

I also get Admin development days, which are days that I have training or team planning.

But I do still go crazy.[COLOR="Gold"]

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 01:34 PM ----------

Teachers get a good amount of holidays, but I still don't know how some of them make it to work every day. If I'm not feeling 100%, I can still go in to work and get by slacking off a bit. Probably not so easy with 40 little brats running around your office.

yeah, and when we are not at school, writing lesson plans takes a lot of time, along with getting all the materials ready. If I have to be gone, it's a process...and lots of teachers just come to school when most people would take off bc we don't want to deal with getting lesson plans ready. We have "emergency" plans, but they never get used.

And being sick at work sucks when you're a teacher...the kids are 10x more annoying!

Edited by MissU28, 07 February 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#56 Kosher Ham

Kosher Ham

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

MissU, Don't you have 2 months off that most people don't also ??? I think he might be forgetting that part. :silly:

#57 MissU28

MissU28

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

MissU, Don't you have 2 months off that most people don't also ??? I think he might be forgetting that part. :silly:

Yes, and if people are jealous of my two months off they should become teachers.

.....now see how zero of the people who complain about that want to become teachers. "I wouldn't get paid enough!" "It's not worth it!" ...Trust me, we need those 2 months off.

#58 Pick6

Pick6

The Role Player

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Yes, and if people are jealous of my two months off they should become teachers.

.....now see how zero of the people who complain about that want to become teachers. "I wouldn't get paid enough!" "It's not worth it!" ...Trust me, we need those 2 months off.

I know a few teachers who bartend during the summer, because they don't make enough just teaching to pay off their student loans. You guys have it rough.

#59 The Evil Genius

The Evil Genius

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,595 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

The good thing for some teachers is that they get to move on to obscenely paid administrator jobs that keep teachers from getting paid what they deserve.

:ols:

As for me - currently, after 10+ years at my job, I get 17 paid (and paid out after leaving) hours of vacation/sick time per month. Caps at 600..but many go over and have to work with their bosses to reduce their levels. I'm looking at over 330 right now - with no big vacations planned this year. Unless I get to go to Kauai or Maui. Yeah, sucks to be me. :ols:

Edited by The Evil Genius, 07 February 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#60 MissU28

MissU28

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

I think some teachers get paid more than people think. I take home a little over $3k a month, and I am in my 7th year of teaching and have a master's. Definitely not destitute, but definitely not a lot of disposable income.

It's sad, though, that my mom's pension is more than I'll make in my lifetime.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 02:21 PM ----------

The good thing for some teachers is that they get to move on to obscenely paid administrator jobs that keep teachers from getting paid what they deserve.

:ols:

ugh, I have no desire to be an administrator, especially an assistant principal. I would HATE dealing with disciplinary infractions all day and calling parents and evaluating teachers and....etc. No thanks.

#61 Kosher Ham

Kosher Ham

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

I think some teachers get paid more than people think. I take home a little over $3k a month, and I am in my 7th year of teaching and have a master's. Definitely not destitute, but definitely not a lot of disposable income.

I had a teacher that was making over 40 a year, over 20 years ago. He was far from struggling while pulling up in his Corvette.

#62 MissU28

MissU28

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

I think if I had kids my tune might change

#63 Kosher Ham

Kosher Ham

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

I think if I had kids my tune might change

You would have a lot more time to spend with them than many other parents do.

Financially might not sit as well for you, but I am pretty sure I can afford for us to have kids at some point. I thought we discussed that I don't really want kids. I have nieces and nephews already. Geez.

You drive a hard bargain. :ols:

#64 Stadium-Armory

Stadium-Armory

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

****, I can't even keep track any more. I think its:

4 weeks vacation
2 weeks sick
2 weeks family sick

Its basically unlimited on all fronts, and I never come close to taking all of it. Its an interesting thing to consider the effects of a policy of unlimited sick/vacation time. I think the theory goes that when you give unlimited time, people are less compelled to abuse it.

http://www.npr.org/t...oryId=129137542

Edited by Stadium-Armory, 07 February 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#65 Special K

Special K

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:19 AM

7 hours a month + 2 personal days.

7 hours of sick leave per month.

They pay me for the first 15 days I'm on a FEMA deployment as well.

I don't really pay attention to it all though (besides the FEMA leave/pay). Most of it is just building up in my accounts as I haven't gone on many vacations or been very sick since I got my job. Plus, if I'm sick one morning, I can "flex" my inspection schedule around where I'll work on the weekend or work overtime one day to make up for the other day(s) I might have the flu or have to take a personal day if a family member is in town, so I don't have to dip into my PTO savings. That being said, I do my best not to abuse that privilege as I am very aware of the fact that taking multiple days off, even for severe illness, does not look good to the executive leadership of the health department. Needless to say, I'm not leaving my job any time soon.

#66 sjinhan

sjinhan

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

i get 3 weeks (15 days) a year.

I do get quite bit of compensated time off when I travel internationally to work as I am currently doing right now. Any ESer in Anogla? haha...

I think I will get probably close to 7-8 weeks of compensated time off this year but I am most likley decide to get cash out for those hours instead of getting the actual time off.

---------- Post added February-8th-2012 at 08:24 AM ----------

It's sad, though, that my mom's pension is more than I'll make in my lifetime.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 02:21 PM ----------

ugh, I have no desire to be an administrator, especially an assistant principal. I would HATE dealing with disciplinary infractions all day and calling parents and evaluating teachers and....etc. No thanks.

Well one of my friends who is a high school teacher (7 years exp) in Fairfax County is pulling in about 80-90k a year. He is doing alot of extra work on the side to get to that amount such as night school, summer school, and tutoring. I was surprised but I guess, if you look at the right places, there are quite a bit of opportunities for teachers increase their take home income.

#67 Toe Jam

Toe Jam

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,319 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

7.25 hours for every 40 hours I work.

#68 hockeysc23

hockeysc23

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

7.25 hours for every 40 hours I work.

You are saying you get a day off for every week you work? 50 days a year approximately?

#69 Kosher Ham

Kosher Ham

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

You are saying you get a day off for every week you work? 50 days a year approximately?

yeah...probably meant 80 hours.

#70 Toe Jam

Toe Jam

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,319 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

yeah...probably meant 80 hours.

This is correct. My bad.