Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 seasons by a RB over the last 20 years

I think it should be noted that Betts' '06 came in only 9 starts. He'd have run for 1800 yards or some such thing at the rate he was going, had he gotten 16 games worth of starting carries. Now, maybe he doesn't keep up that pace, but 1500 yards would've still be a Redskins record.

I know people talk about that 99 season alot, but I don't think people realize just how good we were that year. It's a shame we didn't get a chance to go toe to toe with St.Louis. I still think we would have beaten them. :doh:

That was a fun season to watch and it was nice to win the division for once, but we played the easiest schedule I've ever seen that year. Only three games against teams with winning records, and the only one of those we won was a meaningless last game against the Dolphins when both teams were resting their starters. We were also very lucky with injuries. Tre Johnson played a full season, which never happened. Same with Westbrook.

Sure we were good, but the planets aligned perfectly for us that year ... and we still only won ten. Our defense was horrid. St. Louis would have handed us our lunch had we advanced.

Ok Califan, lets stop goofing around and post the one we all want to see....top 10 QB's.

And damn i forgot how good Terry Allen was. Even tho he was my first fav Redskins!!

Biggest Diff between then and the last 5-6 years is TD's

Last 20 years

1) Brad Johnston

2) Mark Brunell

3) Jason Campbell

4) Mark Rypien

5) Gus Ferotte

Now the list gets interesting, because none of the rest were really worth much while here.

6) Trent Green

7) Todd Collins

8) Patrick Ramsey

9) Jeff George (I just threw up a bit)

10) Donovan McNabb??!?!?! Help me out with 10, I honestly cannot come up with anyone

That was a fun season to watch and it was nice to win the division for once, but we played the easiest schedule I've ever seen that year. Only three games against teams with winning records, and the only one of those we won was a meaningless last game against the Dolphins when both teams were resting their starters. We were also very lucky with injuries. Tre Johnson played a full season, which never happened. Same with Westbrook.

Sure we were good, but the planets aligned perfectly for us that year ... and we still only won ten. Our defense was horrid. St. Louis would have handed us our lunch had we advanced.

You're probably right, so I am not even about to get in a debate about something that happened 13 years ago. :ols:

portis and betts also had one of the beastiest o lines in the nfl in 05 and 06, so that helped their numbers alot. are you telling me that betts was better than portis and stephen davis?

Betts' big problem was always that he couldn't take the pounding of a full time starter. He got hurt playing spot duty all the time. Basically there was one season where he stayed upright for most of the season and he put up nice numbers. It's tough to extrapolate those numbers out though because more likely than not he wouldn't make it through the full 16 games.

One of Portis' greatest strengths was his ability to shoulder the load, day-in, day-out for years on end. Very few players in this league can do that. Davis did for a couple seasons. Allen could do it, but Portis may have been the toughest SOB to run the ball for us since Riggins. In my opinion.

Stephen Davis in 1999 is close, but he had the #6 passing attack in the league to keep defenses honest (the 2005 Skins pass offense was 21st) and he did it against MUCH softer competition. Davis failed to rush for more than 70 yards against any team with a winning record (he only played against two of them all season long, only scoring one of his TDs in both of them combined.)

8 of Davis' 14 games were against rushing defenses in the top 13 in terms of yards per carry...all of them kept opponents to 3.9 ypc or less for the season.

Against those defenses Davis averaged 4.6 ypc and scored 10 TDs.

6 of Davis' 14 games were against rushing defenses in the top 13 in terms of yards per game...between those teams their defenses kept opposing RBs to an average of 92.3 rushing yards per game.

Against those defenses Davis averaged 94 yards per game.

---------- Post added January-13th-2012 at 11:04 AM ----------

I'm not sure anyone is ready for the top 10 QB list. :ols: It's going to be the Mark Brunell/Jason Campbell show if its for the last ten years :ols:

Oh, HELL no, was I gonna keep it to 10 years :ols:...I'm not gonna spend one second trying to determine whether Patrick Ramsey or Tony Banks had a better season lol...

I'll take Allen's 4 more TD's over Davis' 53 more yards for 500 Alex.

---------- Post added January-13th-2012 at 02:37 PM ----------

This list shows how good Ports was for us. In the 7 years he was here, he had 4 of the top rushing years, set the franchise single season record, and if not for injury would be the franchise all-team rushing leader. Pretty impressive.

While Portis might have been a clown off the field he was a baller on the field and did whatever was asked of him. He took on the role of a power back even though he was under-sized to take on that role and his blocking was second to nobody. He used to blow

people up in the backfield. It still amazes me that many on here hated him because of his personality yet they love Cooley. Double standards be damned.

I'll take Allen's 4 more TD's over Davis' 53 more yards for 500 Alex.

---------- Post added January-13th-2012 at 02:37 PM ----------

While Portis might have been a clown off the field he was a baller on the field and did whatever was asked of him. He took on the role of a power back even though he was under-sized to take on that role and his blocking was second to nobody. He used to blow

people up in the backfield. It still amazes me that many on here hated him because of his personality yet they love Cooley. Double standards be damned.

He wasn't even that big a clown really. I mean, what did he really do that was so terrible? He wasn't a locker room cancer or anything. Every now and then, he'd say something that would get the sports radio goons like Pollin and Sheehan in a tizzy for a couple days, but then it'd blow over and it'd be much ado about nothing. Or he'd dress up in costume and amuse people for a while until they weren't anymore. Or he'd wear different color socks and that was outrageous that he'd be allowed to do that. But once kickoff came, he'd ball out.

He wasn't even that big a clown really. I mean, what did he really do that was so terrible? He wasn't a locker room cancer or anything. Every now and then, he'd say something that would get the sports radio goons like Pollin and Sheehan in a tizzy for a couple days, but then it'd blow over and it'd be much ado about nothing. Or he'd dress up in costume and amuse people for a while until they weren't anymore. Or he'd wear different color socks and that was outrageous that he'd be allowed to do that. But once kickoff came, he'd ball out.

That was my point there bud.

Portis wins this, easily. And it's not subjective lol...

More weight is given to the season where the RB kicks his game up a notch or two to help the team in terms of the playoffs. In fact, Riggins is in the HOF for that very reason...he kicked his performance up several notches when the games started mattering more, such as in the playoffs. He became a different running back. Allen, as much as I loved the guy while he was with the Redskins, never did that. He got a lot of TDs in September and October, and then needed Mapquest to find the end zone down the stretch with the playoffs on the line.

So, nope lol...those 10 extra TDs ultimately didn't mean anything to the team and his yardage dropped off a cliff, as where Portis' TDs and yardage meant everything to the team and both stats improved when the season was on the line.

:applause: Wow. I can't remember the last time an argument was won so clearly at ES. Good stuff.

8 of Davis' 14 games were against rushing defenses in the top 13 in terms of yards per carry...all of them kept opponents to 3.9 ypc or less for the season.

Against those defenses Davis averaged 4.6 ypc and scored 10 TDs.

6 of Davis' 14 games were against rushing defenses in the top 13 in terms of yards per game...between those teams their defenses kept opposing RBs to an average of 92.3 rushing yards per game.

Against those defenses Davis averaged 94 yards per game.

Davis was awesome in '99. That's not really up for debate. :) But the Redskins played a creampuff schedule that year. And the Redskins actually had a better passing game than running game that year (when was the last time THAT happened?) Pro-bowl QB ... two 1000-yard receivers ... Davis was a cog in an awesome offensive machine.

Portis, on the other hand was The Guy. Santana Moss was great that year, but he was it. On the whole the passing game was mediocre at best and it was on Portis to set it up. And the chips were down, Portis set it up like few runningbacks ever have. Five straight 100-yard games to close out the season. All wins. All on his back.

There's a reason Riggins is in the Hall of Fame, and it's not his yardage total. It's not his TD total. It's CERTAINLY not his yards-per-attempt. It's because in 1982 he put the team on his back and dragged them to a superbowl win. That's what Portis did in '05 (to a lesser extent.) It's not the yardage. It's not the TDs. It's the fact that when someone needed to step up, through the teeth of a brutal schedule, it was Portis. A season like that deserves the top spot, in my opinion.

Davis was awesome in '99. That's not really up for debate. :) But the Redskins played a creampuff schedule that year. And the Redskins actually had a better passing game than running game that year (when was the last time THAT happened?) Pro-bowl QB ... two 1000-yard receivers ... Davis was a cog in an awesome offensive machine.

Portis, on the other hand was The Guy. Santana Moss was great that year, but he was it. On the whole the passing game was mediocre at best and it was on Portis to set it up. And the chips were down, Portis set it up like few runningbacks ever have. Five straight 100-yard games to close out the season. All wins. All on his back.

There's a reason Riggins is in the Hall of Fame, and it's not his yardage total. It's not his TD total. It's CERTAINLY not his yards-per-attempt. It's because in 1982 he put the team on his back and dragged them to a superbowl win. That's what Portis did in '05 (to a lesser extent.) It's not the yardage. It's not the TDs. It's the fact that when someone needed to step up, through the teeth of a brutal schedule, it was Portis. A season like that deserves the top spot, in my opinion.

I think Riggins is in the HOF because of his postseason totals moreso than his TD totals. Like you said, his regular season ypc average was...well, average :ols:...average at BEST. But he put Skins teams on his back quite a bit when it was win-or-go-home.

I pretty much agree with everything else you said, and it IS a good argument for Portis over Davis...the one thing that Davis did in 1999 that Portis didn't do in 2005 was come through in the playoffs.

In their playoff win against the Lions, Davis had 119 yds at 7.9 yards per carry, and 2 TDs against the #9 rushing defense.

In their playoff win against the Bucs, Portis had 53 yds at 3.3 yards per carry, and 1 TD against the #6 rushing defense.

However, I didn't include playoff production in the rankings lol...so those stats are kinda besides the point, I admit (at least in the context of this list).

The 8-8 Lions at home is a much better draw than the 11-5 Bucs on the road, but that is a fair point. I still can't believe we kicked Davis to the curb and brought in ... Trung Candidate. :doh:

Anyway, good discussion and a good thread. :)

• 1 year later...

Had the same reaction as others until I saw the Jan 12 date. You would have been laughed out of the building had you predicted at that time not only would we have a rusher crack the top 10 the upcoming season, let alone that it would be Morris, not Helu or Royster, and that even more so it would be THE new #1. Pretty awesome to reflect.

Archived