Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Robert Griffin III is a Washington Redskin (Merged-- The Everything RG3 Thread- Mocks,News, Rumors etc MET)

HogNose

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So, neither J nor myself said it, for the record, is what you're saying. :)

It's a long time off. Look at today, Tannenhill just seriously messed his foot up. That right there should tell you guys to calm the **** down because anything can happen between now & the Draft.

There's really nothing for any of us to really grind on right now news wise other then a few coaching positions which are still about a week maybe two out.

My best advice for you guys is this. Take a break. It's going to get slow other then the Playoffs. Enjoy those. Don't get so worked up because the League year doesn't even start until March.

This. I have been saying this for months (Direct Links coming TK): we still have Senior Bowl, Combine, individual workouts, and pro-days! Anything can happen and stocks will rise and fall.

Furthermore, I think this board needs to be careful with what "insiders" say. I am not at all claiming people are disengenous; I honestly believe they are, or know people who are, in some way associated with the franchise, but at the same time Shanahan isn't going to let serious information (such as who he wants to draft) leak this early. If he does, then I think people need to seriously start worrying about much bigger issues than who is our starting QB next year.

TK, I appreciate your concerns, but I'm not really sure what there is to "calm the **** down" about. The discussion of draft prospects is not going to stop. Some of us are more into it than others, and have been doing it since September. Since preseason, even. That's just how it is. Now that our season is over and it feels like its right around the corner, even if its not, its only going to ramp up even further.

I certainly didn't mean to drag your guys' names into it by referring to "insiders" when really I just meant LL. I damn sure wasn't trying to contribute to any brewing "**** storm". I'll be more careful in the future about such things, and not just in relation to the Tea Leaf gang--every reference to another poster's post history should include a direct link to properly source it. You are absolutely correct on that.

I'd like to see us take RG3. If we don't get him this place (extremeskins) is going to explode with fire Shanahan and this FO can't get anything right threads. Good luck Mods if this happens lol you won't have to worry about me because I'll be giving myself a break from here if we don't land RG3. Because it sounds like a majority of the fans are putting all their eggs in one basket for this guy.

We gotta move up to get this kid! If Cleveland wants Flynn( as others have stated is very likely the case), I don't see any other team with enough ammo to leapfrog us.

I can see the Dolphins trying to leapfrog us, especially if Jeff Fisher goes to Miami. He might view RG3 as his new Steve McNair and be willing to make some moves to try and get him.

This. I have been saying this for months (Direct Links coming TK): we still have Senior Bowl, Combine, individual workouts, and pro-days! Anything can happen and stocks will rise and fall.

Furthermore, I think this board needs to be careful with what "insiders" say. I am not at all claiming people are disengenous; I honestly believe they are, or know people who are, in some way associated with the franchise, but at the same time Shanahan isn't going to let serious information (such as who he wants to draft) leak this early. If he does, then I think people need to seriously start worrying about much bigger issues than who is our starting QB next year.

My take on them is this

They hear things going on before we do. But if anyone actually thinks that TK, J or LL actually knows what Shanny is going to do before he does it, they are foolish.

TK, J and LL can confirm before the media that Raheem Morris is visiting. That we are about to sign Royster off the practice squad. That Torrain is about to be cut. They can get us that info.

It is foolish though to think that they can provide us with any guarantee what Mike Shanahan will do on draft day, or in free agency. In particular this far ahead of time.

I'll say this, if 3 guys on a message board know what direction the Redskins are going in draft wise in January, the organization has many more problems then my I thought.

I'd like to see us take RG3. If we don't get him this place (extremeskins) is going to explode with fire Shanahan and this FO can't get anything right threads. Good luck Mods if this happens lol you won't have to worry about me because I'll be giving myself a break from here if we don't land RG3. Because it sounds like a majority of the fans are putting all their eggs in one basket for this guy.

Neither will I. Know why?

Look at the Rams. Everyone thinks on this board that getting a franchise quarterback automatically makes you a superbowl contender. The rams got one of the best QB prospects in years and haven't done jack ****. For every Patriots and Packers there are Chargers and Eagles; both teams with elite quarterbacks in the past 10 years who haven't won a superbowl. How about teams like Atlanta and Baltimore with their young up and coming QB's not making deep playoff runs?

While I absolutely agree that having a franchise quarterback is crucial, and moreso arguably our biggest need, it doesn't mean getting/not getting RG3 is going to make or break this franchise for the next millenium.

Look at the Rams. Everyone thinks on this board that getting a franchise quarterback automatically makes you a superbowl contender. The rams got one of the best QB prospects in years and haven't done jack ****. For every Patriots and Packers there are Chargers and Eagles; both teams with elite quarterbacks in the past 10 years who haven't won a superbowl. How about teams like Atlanta and Baltimore with their young up and coming QB's not making deep playoff runs?

While I absolutely agree that having a franchise quarterback is crucial, and moreso arguably our biggest need, it doesn't mean getting/not getting RG3 is going to make or break this franchise for the next millenium.

This is dependent on the idea that most people who want RG3 actually believe Bradford is a franchise QB. I didn't before the draft and while he had a good rookie year, I'm still not convinced. I don't think he turns into the top 5 QB a lot of people think he is and I think RG3 is a much, much better prospect.

I can see the Dolphins trying to leapfrog us, especially if Jeff Fisher goes to Miami. He might view RG3 as his new Steve McNair and be willing to make some moves to try and get him.

Not saying that teams won't try. I'm sure The Dolphins and maybe the Seahags will make a run. Shanny knows he must get our QB this year and I'm hoping he likes RGIII enough to make sure we get him.

I agree that the QB doesn't have to be RG3, but I can't help but wonder about the validity of your point when your examples of teams that "haven't won" with a franchise QB have been perennial playoff participants since they've had their QBs...the Chargers, Eagles, Falcons, and Ravens have a shot every, single year simply because they've had or have a franchise QB leading their team year in and year out.

Maybe more folks just need to realize an 'insider' around here can still post opinion and that doesn't mean you need to run off with it as fact, or let it get your hopes up at all. Unless one of these guys is actually Mike Shannahan, it doesn't matter.

I remember one of the guys getting a little upset once actually because they were getting ****ed at for being 'wrong' about something when they never actually claimed anything, they were just expressing opinion. As if they couldn't type anything on here without it being gospel.

I think the move for Griffin at #2 is a big possibility, but there's nothing anyone here could say, not even Shannahan actually, about the draft until it gets here.

Don't be too quick to write off the 'hawks, tho I'm not thinking they'll go that far. I do have a little insider info still from that org and they have been talking about it.

I think these are the teams the Skins definitely need to watch out for more than the Browns. Miami and Seattle are desperate more than the Skins to have a franchise qb more for marketing in Miami but to be competitive in Seattle. Cleveland will give McCoy competition according to Shurmur and a rookie will not give him the push McCoy needs. I see a free agency qb coming to Cleveland and I expect the Skins to trade with Cleveland. Now that would be cynical.

Well, the main message that I, TK, and PCS have sent from long tears of experience is that people who get truly wound up in anyone right now are being seriously premature and it's more than 50/50 that they may be crushed when the actual outcome is known. Playing with possibilities and having fun with speculations is great, but many here very inundated with myriad and detailed permutations that are fairly worthless and also invest heavily in their dream picture so early in the process and make themselves more likely to be the ones posting in (and feeling) terminal angst when something different happens. Hard for me to endorse any serious investment of hope in any specific draft picture until we've run through FA.

This article doesn't seem to think the Browns should or will pick RG3 because he wouldn't be a good fit...makes some good arguments, to be honest.

Cleveland Browns' plan to improve probably not a good fit for Robert Griffin III

Tom Heckert said this about the Browns having the No. 4 pick in the draft: "It's going to be tough to screw that one up."

But the Browns can trash that pick -- especially if they select Baylor's Robert Griffin III. This is not a condemnation of Griffin's enormous athletic ability, or even his pro potential. But he is not a disciplined, under-center, West Coast-style passer.

At Thursday's press conference featuring Browns president Mike Holmgren and Heckert, I asked several questions about the team's commitment to the West Coast offense. I mentioned how quarterbacks such as Griffin take snaps about seven yards behind the line of scrimmage.

These Browns don't often use the shotgun. I never saw a Cleveland quarterback that far behind the line of scrimmage in 2011. Holmgren discussed Denver changing its offense to accommodate Tim Tebow, who sometimes plays the position as if he were a fullback.

In the long run, he didn't think that's wise. And he remains sold on the Browns' West Coast, quick-pass offense.

"It's been a pretty good system for a lot of years," he said.

You can argue that the Browns should be more flexible for an athlete such as Griffin, but it's not going to happen. If they do select Griffin, they will try to make him into their style of a quarterback.

That will take lots of time and won't be easy. It also may never work.

I think the move for Griffin at #2 is a big possibility, but there's nothing anyone here could say, not even Shannahan actually, about the draft until it gets here.

I agree 100% - interesting to speculate but until we get through free agency its impossible to get a good feel for what our draft strategy might look like. We also have the combine, pro days and visits to work through all of which can make a big difference to how each teams draft board might look.

Well, the main message that I, TK, and PCS have sent from long tears of experience is that people who get truly wound up in anyone right now are being seriously premature and it's more than 50/50 that they may be crushed when the actual outcome is known. Playing with possibilities and having fun with speculations is great, but many here very inundated with myriad and detailed permutations that are fairly worthless and also invest heavily in their dream picture so early in the process and make themselves more likely to be the ones posting in (and feeling) terminal angst when something different happens. Hard for me to endorse any serious investment of hope in any specific draft picture until we've run through FA.

Everything you have said here is correct. However, I am one who is truly a fan of RG3 at the right price. If I see something that I think is fair (two 1sts, a 2nd, and maybe a mid round pick) is the price, then I think we should go for it. If we don't and someone else does at that price, then and only then will I be upset. Otherwise, I think we would have done the right thing.

Being in love with a player, doesn't mean you sell the farm (which is why I am anti-luck). We just gotta make sure we set our expectations/value on a player to make sure we understand what being disappointed vs. fortunate really means.

But, I guess the problem is everyone else has there interpretation of what the value is worth for him.

im scratching my head. what will Cleveland do, pick another QB? I think its safe to say yes, but what about putting some playmakers around McCoy as well?

Then theres Seatle and Miami, and yes, they could move up as well. Will RG3 be there, im scratching my head. Do we move up, Im scratching my head. Is it going to be another "trade back" draft, im scratching my head :doh:

I think whatever happens, we could still land some nice prospects without RG3, even though I like the thought of him (prospect) at QB for us and the future.

This article doesn't seem to think the Browns should or will pick RG3 because he wouldn't be a good fit...makes some good arguments, to be honest.

Cleveland Browns' plan to improve probably not a good fit for Robert Griffin III

That pretty much falls in line with what LavarLeap was saying.

And seems to be the opposite of what Mike feels...

"It's kind of funny, because when I had Steve Young and we had to run a West Coast offense [in San Francisco], and Steve was so much different than Joe Montana, you know, it was different. And then [John] Elway -- Elway didn't want to run the five-step drop. We were in a shotgun formation all the time. He hated the West Coast offense of three- and five-step drops, so with John it was a seven-step drop and a lot of shotgun. And then we wind up getting a guy like Jake Plummer, and of course Jake... totally different. He had to be outside the pocket, all those quarterback keeps, boots, none of the drop-back, none of the seven-step drop. He was good on the run, good on the play action, but the drop-back wasn't his game.

"So what you've always got to do is, whatever quarterback you have, you adjust your system to your players."

Does anyone see all those starts aligning?

I know it won't happen but I hope the Redskins make a trade with the Rams early, like as soon as the trading period starts. That way we wont have to wait until draft day to see what is going to happen and wont have to worry about Cleveland beating us to it. I know that the Rams have to hire a GM & coach first. If we are able to make the trade early we will know what the priorities will be in free agency since we wont have alot of early draft picks left after the trade.

I get as excited as the rest of redskins nation when thinking about the opportunity to draft RG3 (Luck is not an option). If we can move ahead of the browns without giving up tooo much, I'd be happy. However, whenever we start talking about investing a top 5 draft pick, or multiple picks on a QB I can't help but worry about what happened in '98. With that being said, I would also trust in ShanaBruce if the decision was to keep our picks, draft an impact player at 6 (WR/OL), and pick a QB in the 2nd to compete with Matt Flynn. March and April can't get here soon enough.

Here is what they were saying pre'98 draft and it still cracks me up::silly:

"Entering the 1998 draft, Manning and Leaf were widely considered to be the two best players available, and scouts and analysts debated whether Leaf or Manning should be selected first.Many advocated for Leaf and his stronger arm, while others saw Manning as the more mature player. The differences in potential between the two seemed small enough, however, that most observers expected it would not greatly matter whether a team selected Manning or Leaf, as either quarterback would greatly benefit the team that selected him. The San Diego Chargers had the third pick of the draft, but traded two first round picks, a second round pick, and three time Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf to the Arizona Cardinals to move up one spot and guarantee that the team would get one of the two quarterbacks.

On draft day Manning was selected first by the Indianapolis Colts and Leaf was selected second by the Chargers. The Chargers signed Leaf to a four-year contract worth $31.25 million, including a guaranteed $11.25 million signing bonus. It was at the time, the largest signing bonus ever paid to a rookie."

Archived