Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THEONION: Mike Shanahan Trails Off During Speech About Turning Franchise Around

Son of Gadsden

These threads are MUCH better when the Onion isn't indicated in the thread title. Hopefully he didn't get NNT'd for that.

This isn't great Onion work though. Maybe should have written an article about Grossman giving an end of season speech but turning it over to other people during important points.

now see.....THATS FUNNY RIGHT THERE....

i too knew when i saw the link, i was in for some seriously dry humor/ satire journalism. this one didnt even make me grin.......

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 12:26 AM ----------

Would be ridiculous if he got NNT'd. I love waiting for the 5 minute paragraph of why Shanny needs to be fired immediately after an embarrassing speech like that.

yeah i was thinking that too. the best part of these threads are the people not familiar with theonion and their reactions to the article.

A PSA. :)

Would be ridiculous if he got NNT'd.

No it wouldn't have been, by rule, had any mod so decided, amigo. And your opinion on such doesn't really matter--a.) because it's none of your business since it isn't about you and b.) since you have far less idea of how the rules are correctly applied than any mod here).

Furthermore, such "opinionating" on board management (by you and others) doesn't belong in any topical thread unless a moderator invites it, including even if he had been NNT'd. Read all of rule 18. It may keep you (anyone) from getting a temp ban someday. :)

Per topic, it was fairly lame by Onion's usual high level of parody, but no one bats 1000. :)

BTW, I didn't edit the title, but if you read the rules on titles.... ;)

P.S. Always amazes me when a member with numerous user notes of rule violations (including lengthy bans) involving numerous mods actually calls attention to themselves in a manner like this---the lemming instinct is truly powerful in some. Weird how such people don't get that there membership has already been extended, ONLY at our discretion and mercy, and that at any time for any reason we may simply pull the plug or to use the more current terminology, apply B2A. If such folk really like it here as much as they appear to, they should maybe just stifle in eternal gratitude about these things and try not to break any more rules. :)

He might have trailed off, but at least he didn't have members of the armed forces give a rah rah speech.

That would have been worse.

you know what.... now that i think of it. first off he should have had those SEAL's talkin to them BEFORE the season. BUT

admittedly i am not a "muscle man" ... i hate gyms and their smell etc. but when i was in bootcamp back in 90 for the Navy, when you got into trouble they sent you to IT <intensive training>.

yeah so, the last week of BC the CC's sent the whole company to IT just because they thought it would be funny to see, those of us that kept our nose clean and did what we were told, go in there and suck wind. fortunately i was a swimmer back then and was in great shape. turns out that workout we did that morning for 1.5 hrs was the SEAL WARMUP. i mean guys were pukin and passing out... and i mean like 30 percent or so were seriously messed up lol.

my point is this... if these guys were as pumped as was reported, from the SEAL team visit. then have the RETIRED SEALS or similar units lead workouts in the OTA's etc....

i promise....... guys like that have a way of instilling discipline in people.....

a team of youth, athletic ability, and some talent..... with a SEAL team mindset...... they would dominate the league ... forever.

work that we did with the SEAL's are some of the proudest moments of my life. those are some seriously bad ass dudes....

...my point is this... if these guys were as pumped as was reported, from the SEAL team visit. then have the RETIRED SEALS or similar units lead workouts in the OTA's etc....

i promise....... guys like that have a way of instilling discipline in people.....

a team of youth, athletic ability, and some talent..... with a SEAL team mindset...... they would dominate the league ... forever.

work that we did with the SEAL's are some of the proudest moments of my life. those are some seriously bad ass dudes....

That's an interesting idea. But I wonder how hard it would be to have a "boot camp" type of training camp, or if there might be rules against it.

Seems like someone years ago would have thought, "Hey, our military guys could really show these athletes how to get in ridiculously good shape."

That's an interesting idea. But I wonder how hard it would be to have a "boot camp" type of training camp, or if there might be rules against it.

Seems like someone years ago would have thought, "Hey, our military guys could really show these athletes how to get in ridiculously good shape."

but even better is they would show them how to be mentally tough as well... you know self disciplined... thorough understanding of honor and integrity....

but even better is they would show them how to be mentally tough as well... you know self disciplined... thorough understanding of honor and integrity....

Absolutely...and what better group to exhibit the value of a true team concept at the highest level...I have also had the privilege to be around some of these people in WA state some years ago...one of things I was most struck by was how unassuming and accessible and, well, "normal" they looked and acted, compared to where reasonable projections could easily take you...I have no doubt that under more serious circumstances, of course, they'd make an entirely different presentation. :)

There are different ways you can be in "ridiculously good shape" and, based on my admittedly superficial knowledge of both special forces and NFL training, I wouldn't think that the two would be terribly compatible. Football is all about bursts of effort with a good deal of recovery time in between whereas military training (esp. as it pertains to special forces) tends to be more endurance-oriented by an order of several magnitudes. A little cross-training can be helpful but it can also have a deleterious effect if it takes the place of sport specific training or leads to over-training.

In other words, I'd rather the Skins' dedicated training staff and coaches handle the bulk of the training. Nonetheless, I'm all for bringing in SEALs for motivational/disciplinary/teamwork purposes.

There are different ways you can be in "ridiculously good shape" and, based on my admittedly superficial knowledge of both special forces and NFL training, I wouldn't think that the two would be terribly compatible. Football is all about bursts of effort with a good deal of recovery time in between whereas military training (esp. as it pertains to special forces) tends to be more endurance-oriented by an order of several magnitudes. A little cross-training can be helpful but it can also have a deleterious effect if it takes the place of sport specific training or leads to over-training.

In other words, I'd rather the Skins' dedicated training staff and coaches handle the bulk of the training. Nonetheless, I'm all for bringing in SEALs for motivational/disciplinary/teamwork purposes.

as far as certain specialties in both fields there are different requirements. however something like bringing them in and doing their warm up trainer .... which should definitely be the least level of fitness needed..... would be good for offseason workouts and otas etc.

but much like yourself i am certainly no expert in either.

i have felt in years past that many of the injuries we have had especially the hammy injuries... that there is an issue of basic stretching and fitness despite their strength..... maybe conditioning staff needs improvement or maybeit was just the fact the team was older i dunno.....

but most importantly isnt the physical advantages as maybe it is the mental toughness these types of individuals possess.

i dunno if you have but if you have seen these guys in action you notice something immediately that just makes them different. they have a level of discipline and drive and pride and team ethic and loyalty to peers etc.... being around guys like that would be good for a football team of young men .... the discipline alone would make a huge difference....

One of things I was most struck by was how unassuming and accessible and, well, "normal" they looked and acted, compared to where reasonable projections could easily take you...I have no doubt that under more serious circumstances, of course, they'd make an entirely different presentation. :)

I remember having my 18th birthday in Charleston with my brother and some of his Air Force friends hitting up a few clubs then ending up back on base. Everybody passed out but me and this dude i didn't really know. We could barely walk so we kind've just hung out by the truck and just bull****ted for a few hours. I asked him what he "did" for the force (figuring he was probably just you know, normal infantry, since my brother is a staff sergeant armor MP). He replied with "I'm in a unit for special operations, "black ops" if you will. We specialize in hostage situations. When not on assignment, my team and I are personal protection for General McChrystal. I actually have to get on a transport to Afganistan in about 4 hours." I think my jaw hit the ground. I just had in my head that these guys are mindless elite killing machines like the movies make you think. Don't get me wrong, my ENTIRE family is from military background, 10 aunts and uncles all in forces, including 2 in the pentagon. It doesn't change the fact that these elite forces have built up this larger than life image. Of course, in my situation it's not the greatest example of responsibility, falling down drunk. However, the guy has medals he can't even tell anyone he has because they are classified. Shows how easily and quickly these guys can turn the on/off switch from combat and discipline to civilian.

I can understand that Shanahan might be a little lost for words right after the season because things didn't exactly go as he had hoped so he needs time to refocus on the task at hand. Sometimes watching tape and evaluting the whole team from the players and the coaching staff before telling anyone what his game plan is for the future. The only thing that I would saay if I were him was that the team needs to work on the fundmentals and to cut out the mistakes in order to win.

Archived