Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boardwalk Empire

Heisenberg

What an great first episode. This could be a 10 year EPIC show like Sopranos was...

Steve Buscemi is THE MAN.

Woah woah woah. Decent pilot, but there were some major issues with the pacing, some of the acting, and the admittedly difficult task of introducing the whole world of 1920s Atlantic City. Do I think it has potential? Absolutely. Has it already acending into Sopranos/Wire territory? Not at all. I'm going to let a few more episodes play out before I crown this show.

I like Jimmy, Nucky, Al Capone, and the Prohibition Officer. Strong core. Can't tease me with 10 second of Omar though. Probably most excited for him in the next few episodes.

I mean even the Sopranos pilot was pretty slow - they pretty much have to be in order to set up storylines. I thought the last 3/4 of the pilot was very strong and you could definitely see it setting up some very interesting storylines for the season.

I'm also looking forward to more Michael K. Williams.

I like Jimmy, Nucky, Al Capone, and the Prohibition Officer. Strong core. Can't tease me with 10 second of Omar though. Probably most excited for him in the next few episodes.

yeah the Omar tease wasn't cool :ols:

I figured the first couple episodes would be kinda slow, mainly because there's so much to cover. I liked the pilot though, definitely looking forward to seeing more

Yeah, Omar was waiting outside, I thought Nucky would eventually get to him. Nope. Oh well. I'm sure he'll play a pretty big supporting role, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to show him in the preview trailers.

And they got the little english pitbull dude playing Al Capone. I loved him in "This is England," "Snatch," and a few other flicks he's been in.

Watched the show and loved it, echo what someone else said about the pacing, seems like this show is cramming a lot of content in real fast so as to get people on board, lets hope they have enough stuff for at least 3 seasons. With all the trash on HBO that I refuse to watch (True Blood, Hung etc) this show justifies my decision to keep them in the loop for a while.

The Al Capone bit really intrigued me, any historical context to all this?

The Al Capone bit really intrigued me, any historical context to all this?

All the characters are real. And from what I know, everything is legit. I don't know much about Prohibition-era AC. But I do know that Capone was in the military. He did start off as just a driver/muscle. And he did make a name for himself doing hijackings. Rothstein was a major gambler (he's the one who fixed the World Series in 1919.) And I don't want to start dropping spoilers but big Italian bossman's murder (at the end of the show) paves the way for everything that comes after that in Mafia history. Basically the beginning of the Mafia as we know it.

Rome was one of my fav TV shows of all time. Fast forward 2000 years and you got Boardwalk Empire. I'm psyched. Love historical stuff like this. Loved the first episode. And it's only going to get better. I don't care if I already know the history or not. I mean I knew Caesar was going to get murdered and that Octavius was gonna rock Brutus and Marc Antony and I still loved that show. Hopefully this lasts longer than Rome's two seasons. I doubt production costs are gonna be the issue here as it was with Rome though. I'm excited.

BTW, Buscemi's GF in the show Lucy is ****ing smoking. Look her up. The actress I mean. She's my type to a T.

Yep, I thought the pilot was pretty good. I realize that there was a whole lot of stuff going on, but that's only because they have to set up the story and start to flesh out the characters. By the way I found the scenes with the booze being hijacked/sold and all that a little confusing so if anyone needs a breakdown of that part I found a link that breaks it down pretty well.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/boardwalk-empire-pilot-the-day-the-drinking-died

All the characters are real. And from what I know, everything is legit. I don't know much about Prohibition-era AC. But I do know that Capone was in the military. He did start off as just a driver/muscle. And he did make a name for himself doing hijackings. Rothstein was a major gambler (he's the one who fixed the World Series in 1919.) And I don't want to start dropping spoilers but big Italian bossman's murder (at the end of the show) paves the way for everything that comes after that in Mafia history. Basically the beginning of the Mafia as we know it.

Rome was one of my fav TV shows of all time. Fast forward 2000 years and you got Boardwalk Empire. I'm psyched. Love historical stuff like this. Loved the first episode. And it's only going to get better. I don't care if I already know the history or not. I mean I knew Caesar was going to get murdered and that Octavius was gonna rock Brutus and Marc Antony and I still loved that show. Hopefully this lasts longer than Rome's two seasons. I doubt production costs are gonna be the issue here as it was with Rome though. I'm excited.

BTW, Buscemi's GF in the show Lucy is ****ing smoking. Look her up. The actress I mean. She's my type to a T.

Actually I believe Nucky Thompson in the show is based on Nucky Johnson. But other than that, I think its pretty close to being historically accurate.

I thought the lighting was horrible. WAY too dark. Which when you have a kid and your watching in bed leads to sleep.... Will DVR and watch more, but based on week 1 this could drop off my radar by week 4

That's Scorcese for you. I definitely couldn't watch this show in bed but it definitely held my interest and I think the last 30 minutes of the show set up a lot of good storylines.

Loved the show, I can see alot of themes opening up and that was one of the problems with the Sopranos, at times it seemed to go off in directions that ended up leading nowhere never to revisit. Just trying to do too much I guess. I hope this show stays on course and sticks with Knucky while fiddling with some of the other characters. And thanks Gacolb for the historical run down, I was wondering myself how relevant the characters were.

Archived