• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins nation!  I’m in beautiful Landover, MD with Spaceman Spiff who has been pulled away from Instagram models and tailgating and sent down to the field to do what he does best (roll around in the mud).

Let’s get down to business...  Can we block them?  There are other story lines entering into this game but worrying about them feels largely academic.  The Texans have two terrifying pass rushers and the Redskins intend to block them with optimism and underdog stories.  Alex Smith isn’t a statue but he does take time in making decisions and getting the ball out.  This combination looks disastrous.  The sort of thing that has us all after the game consoling each other with things like “well, it was just a bad matchup" and “we caught them at the worst possible time.” 

Or... we could walk away wondering just how the heck this team managed to pull off another improbable win.  Last week the gave up something like twelve thousand yards of offense to the Bucs, I’ll have to check those numbers to be sure, but only three points.  That’s not supposed to happen.  Maybe we can enjoy an outrageously unlikely result again.  Not probably, not likely, but you know... maybe.  I’m saying there’s a chance.   

I’m here for that chance.  (and you know... the free food and climate controlled free seats) 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins are running their bend and break defense, and I’m not sure a little over three quarters is enough time for the Redskins offense to close a 10-point gap.  I’m having flash backs of week nine, but having human emotions is considered “disruptive behavior.”  I'm fine.  Everything is fine. 

That Quinn celebration, whatever that was, was the highlight of the 1st quarter. 

2nd Quarter Update
      Is there a better way to start a quarter than by scoring a touchdown?  There is, if you follow that TD drive with a forced turnover on defense.  Things are looking good! 

So much for that.  A great start was quickly ended up canceled out by the Redskins offense.  With a chance to take a lead Alex Smith throws a pick six in the red zone and takes the air out of the stadium.  He followed that up by throwing another interception on the very next drive.  Alex Smith almost made me forget about Vernon Davis dropping that pass.  Almost. 

Texans missed a field goal attempt and the lead remains frozen at 10. 

This quarter feels like a giant blown opportunity.  

Halftime Update. 
      I should have stopped at one hotdog.  I deserve this.

3rd Quarter Update
      You know the feeling where you say and think all these bad things about a player and then he breaks his leg and you immediately feel bad about it?  I live there now.

Colt McCoy has freed me from that place of sadness! 

As much as I love this defense, they have to start forcing teams to punt at some point.  Is there a stat for defense tha thas forced the fewest punts?  We have to be near the top of that list.  Texans have punted just once today.  Holding them to three was good, though.   

The lead is down to six and Colt McCoy has arrived to save us.  (Please let that be true.) 

Personal Note:  Someone just stomped, loudly, out of the press area like a while muttering at his phone.  Laughter and comparisons to toddlers followed him.  The media's laugh is an evil laugh!  Good times. 

4th Quarter Update
      Colt has brought us back.  Welcome to the first lead change of the season, Redskins fans.  You like that?!  (Yeesh, was that always so lame?)  I guess you could say Adrian Peterson contributed by actually scoring the touchdown.  I bet Colt told him to score though, so you have to factor leadership into things.

Once again, the defense cannot force a punt, hard to feel great about holding a team to a field goal when that field goal gives them the lead in the 4th quarter 

Remember that whole "can we block them" thing?  The answer was absolutely not on the Redskins 2nd drive of the 4th quarter.  Watt and Clowney each sacked our man Colt, and ended that drive before it really had a chance to begin. 

Horrible, no good, very bad holding called on Norman gifting Houston a first down at the worst possible time for it.

Colt chooses to throw deep at an inopportune moment resulting in a 60+ yard attempt for an injured kicker.  Heartbreaking end to a game that cost this team entirely too much (via injury) yet still seemed to be within reach several times. 

I'm off to the post game press conference and locker room, check back later for updates.

Final Thoughts
      I’ve always found it preferable to watch my favorite team simply get destroyed, than to feel that they were the better team and still managed to lose.  The Redskins gave this game away with mistakes in the 2nd quarter.  Fred Davis makes a routine catch and Alex Smith doesn’t throw a pick six, and the scoreboard shows at least 7 fewer points for the Texans.  Even if the Redskins had settled for field goals, that’s a 13 point swing in 2 point game.   

Losing the game wasn’t even the worst part.  Losing Alex Smith, for at least the remainder of the season, is likely enough to push the Redskins past the point where they can continue toughing their way through key injuries. 

We'll all feel better after a win against the Cowboys next week. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SkinzBoi85

So Jerry Calls me From The Sales Office...........

And tells me he has season tickets for next season.

A pair for 6535. 25 percent down up front which he said was like 1600. Before I could even respond, he said he'd throw in tailgate passes AND parking passes for the first two seasons, and he wants me to come down next weekend to see 'em.

Mind you I inquired 5 months ago and spoke breifly, and he called me out the blue today

Damn how many of ya'll gave up ya tix LMAO???

Right now unfortunately I think a lot are giving them up due to the economy, plus, those are pretty expensive tickets, we pay $2300 for 4 and parking.

There is no waiting list, bro. You can have as many season tickets as you would like.

There is no waiting list, bro. You can have as many season tickets as you would like.

...if you are willing to buy club seats, which is probably what he's offering.

I've been on the list close to 5 years. The only call I got was for some sort of over priced dream seats a month after I signed up. I declined and the guy on the phone was rather rude saying something like, "well I guess you'll have to wait a long time then."

I'm probably on the list twice come to think of it. I'm not holding my breath.

I've been on the list close to 5 years. The only call I got was for some sort of over priced dream seats a month after I signed up. I declined and the guy on the phone was rather rude saying something like, "well I guess you'll have to wait long time then."

Well, the guy who called you is probably out of work at the moment after all the firings in the ticket sales areas. So, maybe being a rude **** has its karmic payback eventually.

Must be in the EZ then.

Edit: ...unless he bought them like ten years ago.

Mark, the price they were quoting me to re-up my clubbers which were about on the goal line were $2850 per seat, so the ones they're offering this dude may be out a little more, maybe on the 10?

But that's still a hell of a lot of money to pay per game.

Mark, the price they were quoting me to re-up my clubbers which were about on the goal line were $2850 per seat, so the ones they're offering this dude may be out a little more, maybe on the 10?

But that's still a hell of a lot of money to pay per game.

No, he's being offered these from a buddy. So the price his buddy is paying could be the year 2000 price, and if so, there's probably an escalator clause. I do have a feeling club prices went up substantially in 2000 since it was the first full off-season Mr. Snyder was in control.

2008 club prices for the season:

Zone D, Endzone: $2,800 each

Zone B, Inside the 20 to the goal line: $3,700 each

Zone A, Between the 20s: $4,650 each.

Add $131.70 Amusement tax to the prices above.

Orange Parking: $350.

Speaking of club seats, did anyone get a call last season after the first Giants game about a buy one get one free club seat offer? I did, it was a good deal since it was just for one season.

Alas, I had just bought Caps season tickets so I couldn't afford it.

NFL Sunday ticket.

1. No line at the bathroom.

2. Instant replay.

3. Tivo to record it if they're playing at the wrong time.

4. Temperature just where I set the thermostat.

5. No one spilling beer on me.

6. No one yelling "You suck!" in my kids ears.

7. No one fighting in the seats down the aisle.

8. 800 other channels when we lose.

And did I mention there's no line at the bathroom?

Speaking of club seats, did anyone get a call last season after the first Giants game about a buy one get one free club seat offer? I did, it was a good deal since it was just for one season.
That's a new one, I think. I"ve never heard of that.

NFL Sunday ticket.

2. Instant replay.

AMEN BROTHER!

I love the 'Skins as much as any person, but no way in hell I'd ever throw that kind of dough for tickets.

Trust me, you will save mad money buying tickets through stubhub or razorgator. Even if you bought them for every single game. I like experiencing different parts of the stadium each time I visit.

NFL Sunday ticket.

The Redzone channel in HD is just pure NFL sickness.

If everyone had that option attendance would be down 50% league wide in this economy.

I got a call earlier this week with an "upgrade offer". They offered me 2 end zone clubs for $2800. He said its normally $2800 a seat, but they were offering me $2800 for a pair in the end zone. Its like getting a club seat for free. He said it was a 3 year deal, 20% down, the rest by the end of June. After 3 years, I'm guaranteed lower bowl. I turned them down.

I've been on the list close to 5 years. The only call I got was for some sort of over priced dream seats a month after I signed up. I declined and the guy on the phone was rather rude saying something like, "well I guess you'll have to wait a long time then."

he is being offered club seats, if you wanna drop 3k on each ticket then you can have those seats too

I am still deciding whether or not to renew my tickets. Last year was my first year. I started in 405 row 5. Those December games were brutal and with this economy. I am not sure about next year.

NFL Sunday ticket.

2. Instant replay.

You forgot:

No hour long leaving the game traffic.

No depressing drive home after the team blew yet another winnable game.

No Eagles, Giants, Pukes, Other, team fans ruining your gameday experience.

No 1000% markup on Beer, burgers, etc.

No large donation to Snyder's wallet so he can further destroy this team.

I'm sure there is more.

I still can't believe that people actually pay several thousands a year to watch 8 games, which at least 1/2 of them you leave pissed for a long time afterwards.

A pair for 6535. 25 percent down up front which he said was like 1600.

$6535?? For skins tickets?? Man what a boatload of crap that is. Given the product Ol Danny boy has given us I've reached the point that he'd have to pay me to go and see these clowns.

Man I'll bet DS is laughing all they way to the bank.

$6535?? For skins tickets?? Man what a boatload of crap that is.

I hear ya. I'm really surprised we don't hear from more of these people on the board. 99% of us don't pay to watch **** and are still royally pissed.

Now if I had to pay 6000+ to watch them lose to the winless Rams and go 1-2 to divisional opponents while scoring only 27 points combined against them. I'd be slightly more disgruntled, well maybe not slightly.

I got a call earlier this week with an "upgrade offer". They offered me 2 end zone clubs for $2800. He said its normally $2800 a seat, but they were offering me $2800 for a pair in the end zone. Its like getting a club seat for free. He said it was a 3 year deal, 20% down, the rest by the end of June. After 3 years, I'm guaranteed lower bowl. I turned them down.
Wow. So it's confirmed. That's pretty amazing, really. In '97 those EZ seats were going for $995 each - so with this new deal, that's an increase of just over 40% over a twelve year span which is actually somewhat reasonable. And that 1997 price was before the club concourse was enclosed and finished.
I still can't believe that people actually pay several thousands a year to watch 8 games, which at least 1/2 of them you leave pissed for a long time afterwards.
Yeah, but it's not just that we "watch 8 games." It's the whole experience, particularly the tailgating and the camraderie and friendships you develop over the years. That is a HUUUGE part of the game day experience for most of us regulars, I think.