Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

? about the long TD pass

F-16 CHIEF

I don't understand defenses that well. What coverage were we in during that? To me, that looked like the same play against NO. The corner let the receiver streak by and the safety has to go from almost standing still to covering a receiver with a 30 yard sprint. As bad as I think Reed is, no one can cover a receiver when they have a running start at you like that.

So, in all seriousness, what D is that and how is it supposed to work? It's failed miserably twice now whatever it is.

Again, I'm not Reed fan, but he stands NO chance during a play like that.

I'm pretty sure we were in a cover 2. Which means that each safety covers each deep half of the field. Reed bit on Larry Fitzgerlad's move to the outside and got his hips turned inside out, while LaRon got sucked up too close to the line looking for something shorter.

It appeared to be cover 2. Reed's zone is deep half of the field. He knew he was going to have to play deep, it's not a surprise. When he reads a route he needs to begin backpedaling then turn into an all out sprint when the time is correct.

The corners are supposed to pass him off. They are responsible for the flats.

Yeah it was cover 2. It is hard to guard someone who is coming at you full speed when you are standing still. But Doughty is supposed to be watching the receivers and getting depth because he is responsible for his deep half and nothing is supposed to get past him. Also the corners are supposed to jam the receivers off the line so they don't get to the safeties as fast. I'm almost positive there was no jam on Fitzgerald that play.

Actually, it was a strong nickel package where one safety comes up close to the line. They ran that to take away the short routes like slants to the WRs and TEs. Landry was playing the short zone, almost like a linebacker, and Reed had deep. Fitz beats Carlos deep, fakes out, Reed bites, and Fitz has space over the top. Honestly Landry could have made that play. We need to keep Reed short and Landry deep as the hawk.

This quote should help

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/21/AR2008092100991_2.html?sid=ST2008092101456&s_pos=

Then came the breakdown. With Washington's secondary in two-deep zone coverage, Fitzgerald caught a 62-yard touchdown pass from Warner with 1:53 left in the third, and Arizona pulled even at 17 after place kicker Neil Rackers's successful point-after attempt. Strong safety Reed Doughty made a costly mistake on the play, falling for Fitzgerald's fake on a corner route, "which is designed to mess with the safety," Doughty said. "And it did."

Said Blache: "We had high school, two-deep coverage. We just blew it

Blache's quote suggests cover 2.
I need game film. There are entirely too many different people saying different things are going down...

I need to see it for myself - again, this time really paying attention.

Looking at the DVR, I think it was a simple cover 2 where Landry had the left side of the field while Doughty had the right side.

The Cardinals had only two receivers, with Fitzgerald wide on the left side and Boldin tight on the right. Springs played Boldin close on the line, and let him run into the middle of the field. Rogers played a few yards off of Fitzgerald, but also let him release towards the middle of the field.

After the play-action fake, James ran into the right flat, and Springs covered him. The fullback ran into the left flat, and Rogers covered him.

Boldin was covered by two linebackers dropping into the middle of the field, but Fitzgerald ran in behind those guys, faking to the outside, then running to the post. Doughty bit the fake, and was a step behind and couldn't catch up.

Landry wasn't really covering anyone on the play, since nobody came deep to his side, but he watched the QB's eyes, drifted to Doughty's side, and sprinted backwards as soon as Warner stepped up to throw.

Doughty was definitely beaten, but Landry could have made a play if he read it more quickly. It's kind of the standard way to beat the cover 2, since Doughty will always be more careful to protect the outside, and Landry won't be watching a receiver coming from that side. Even if Reed had perfect coverage there, I don't really like his chances one-on-one against Larry Fitzgerald. When there's only one receiver running deep, we would ideally want both deep safeties in the neighborhood.

I'm also a little surprised that neither Rogers nor Springs jammed the receivers at the line, and that definitely helped Fitzgerald get free more quickly. It seemed like everyone was expecting a short pass and were caught on their heels with the deep throw.

Anyhow, most of the blame falls on Reed, but I think there are a lot of other little things that went wrong.

Archived