Springfield

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

2,250 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

my dealer is asking me for 650 to do my spark plugs.  How easy is it also to replace tramission  and rear differential fluid?

650 for spark plugs? Just replacing the plugs and nothing else? 

What kind of car? I replaced mine a few weeks ago for literally 12 bucks and about 30 minutes of work.

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, grego said:

What kind of car? I replaced mine a few weeks ago for literally 12 bucks and about 30 minutes of work.

i have a 2009  lexus is250.  labor and the plugs.  yup!

Since my mechanic put my car back together, he's actually told me he'd sell his soul to have that much work again.  Seriously, talk to people about who they take their car to...

and unless you're going "full service", screw that.  It's a full TUNE-UP or nothing.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, grego said:

but these are Iridium or platinum , ya need a degree to handle these. :silly:

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, twa said:

but these are Iridium or platinum , ya need a degree to handle these. :silly:

My Bosch Platinums have always served me well.  I buy them, and everything else...dude does the work...

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

i have a 2009  lexus is250.  labor and the plugs.  yup!

OK. It does look a little more involved than some cars as far as taking off the intake to get to some plugs, but nothing too crazy. Just depends on how comfortable you are with a wrench. 

If you go to advance auto and plunk down 20 bucks on tools and plugs, you could probably do it following this video. 

1 person likes this

another worry about my car is the carbon build.  Toyota released a CSP for if it notice the engine stalling 

24 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

another worry about my car is the carbon build.  Toyota released a CSP for if it notice the engine stalling 

Is it something thats covered by Toyota? If so, you're golden. 

If not, you may be able to get away with changing the plugs and putting some sea foam - 

http://seafoamsales.com

in the gas tank. I had a bunch of misfire codes pop up along with some sputtering on my Honda with about 130k miles. New plugs and sea foam and my car runs like new. Very cheap and easy. 

Does a fly wheel need to be replaced with a clutch? Also, if the clutch doesn't need to be replaced what could be some other causes for the clutch to be burned out?

54 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Does a fly wheel need to be replaced with a clutch? Also, if the clutch doesn't need to be replaced what could be some other causes for the clutch to be burned out?

Sometimes the flywheel can be resurfaced.  If it's a dual mass flywheel then it most likely can't and has to be replaced, which is expensive.

If it were my own car, I'd replace the flywheel regardless of the current flywheel's condition.

I need to find a local mechanic. Guy I knew has moved on to a better opportunity. 

I need to have someone check out this car I am thinking of buying. 

Good gracious though...I think it is fine from everything I have seen, heard, etc. I just need another set of eyes on this car before I buy it. 

Springy, you want me to fly you down here ? 

9 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I need to find a local mechanic. Guy I knew has moved on to a better opportunity. 

I need to have someone check out this car I am thinking of buying. 

Good gracious though...I think it is fine from everything I have seen, heard, etc. I just need another set of eyes on this car before I buy it. 

Springy, you want me to fly you down here ? 

Where are you, Kosher? 

Charlotte. 

I have a great shot to buy this car that will make my wife never ask for anything again.  Sounds like a good deal to any guy. 

Price is awesome, but I am always skeptical when it comes to a used car. 

20k on the odometer, but seems to be in great shape. 

These guys are hustlers...but not stupid. Just makes me second guess myself. 

11 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

I have a great shot to buy this car that will make my wife never ask for anything again.  

False. I recommend you read the following book. 

51+b4mHoAqL._SX200_QL80_.jpg

3 people like this

12 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Charlotte. 

I have a great shot to buy this car that will make my wife never ask for anything again.  Sounds like a good deal to any guy. 

Price is awesome, but I am always skeptical when it comes to a used car. 

20k on the odometer, but seems to be in great shape. 

These guys are hustlers...but not stupid. Just makes me second guess myself. 

What kind of car is it?

Most new cars (within 5 years old) with 20k are generally problem free.  Of course, it's possible that something was damaged, and then later covered up.

44 minutes ago, Springfield said:

What kind of car is it?

Most new cars (within 5 years old) with 20k are generally problem free.  Of course, it's possible that something was damaged, and then later covered up.

16 Mustang GT. Loaded. 

I drove it, she drove it. We both know cars and still couldn't find any issues. 

You know the saying...too good to be true. Something is wrong, I just don't know what it is. I'm a pretty thorough person when it comes to finances.

I just don't want to screw up on this.  

I think we are going to try out a different one...just to see. 

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

16 Mustang GT. Loaded. 

You know the saying...too good to be true. Something is wrong, I just don't know what it is. I'm a pretty thorough person when it comes to finances.

i feel you. i got a too good to be true deal on a car a few years ago. turns out, the car had been in an accident bad enough to need the frame striaghtened. problem was, the carfax didnt give the extent of the damage, it only indicated some paint work to the front bumper. and this was a car that was sold as a 'certified' used car from a (supposedly) reputable dealership. of course, i lost money on the trade in because it was in a frame machine. 

i would definitely find a good reputable shop or mechanic to look specifically into the possibility of a bad accident. 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

16 Mustang GT. Loaded. 

Just a few things I thought of after reading this thread. 

Could of been a fleet vehicle , rental 

Unaffordable,  young kid , high insurance,  to many tickets. Traded it in.

Run the vin # through carfax. 

1 person likes this

Has a Roush exhaust. Probably not a young kid, but still there is something. 

Mad because I don't see it. 

I personally would stay away from a used vehicle that has been modified.  People modify cars so they can run it to its extreme, and you have no way of knowing how how it was driven.

You may not have any problems, but a previously installed aftermarket exhaust would be a bit of a red flag to me.

Now all that said, it could have been someone who babied the vehicle and traded it in for a new model or a better model.  You'll never know.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Now all that said, it could have been someone who babied the vehicle and traded it in for a new model or a better model.  You'll never know.

Upgraded to a Camaro? ;)

17 minutes ago, twa said:

Upgraded to a Camaro? ;)

I always upgrade. My wife is certainly a...wait car...yeah, I do that also. 

1 person likes this