On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Mar. 18, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Wed., Mar. 19, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Thu., Mar. 20, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Mar. 21, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Mar. 24, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Mar. 25, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Mar. 26, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Mar. 27, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Mar. 28, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Mar. 31, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Photo
- - - - -

PFT: Caldwell That Ends Well..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 LaRonDontLikeUgly

LaRonDontLikeUgly

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

taken from profootballtalk.com....

RAMS ADD CALDWELL

Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the St. Louis Rams have reached an agreement with free agent wide receiver Reche Caldwell.

Caldwell spent the 2007 season in Washington, and the Redskins were reportedly awaiting a decision from Caldwell, whom they offered a contract, as recently as yesterday. No details of the deal have been reported, but Caldwell apparently liked the offer he got from the Rams better than the offer he got from the Redskins.

Caldwell didn’t do much in Washington last season, playing in eight games and catching 15 passes for 141 yards. His best season came in 2006 with the New England Patriots, when he caught 61 passes for 760 yards. Prior to 2006 Caldwell spent four seasons with the San Diego Chargers.

In St. Louis Caldwell is likely to compete for the third receiver position behind starters Torry Holt and Drew Bennett.

#2 Thoth

Thoth

The Role Player

• Members
  • 836 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:53 AM

Awesome! Now cut Thrash, trade down whenever you can, and draft 2-3 WRs, and see who develops/pans out.

#3 AKM311

AKM311

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

Here is the ESPN article:

Reche Caldwell still hasn't cashed in on a big contract yet from his 61-catch season with the Patriots in 2006, but he's hoping to strike gold in St. Louis.

Caldwell agreed Tuesday to a one-year,$645,000 contract with the Rams. He had a minimum salary offer to stay with the Redskins and he also had an offer from Carolina.

He becomes the second Redskins backup to leave for the Rams. Last Friday, cornerback David Macklin signed a one-year deal with St. Louis.

The Rams will be the 28-year-old receiver's fourth team in four seasons. His career started in San Diego where he was a second-round pick of the Chargers in the 2002 draft.

He had 15 catches last season with the Redskins.

-- John Clayton, ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3310781

#4 jthor99

jthor99

The Dirtbags

• Banned
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

I personally liked Caldwell I thought at times be brought some decent things to the offense. That being said its out with the old and in with the new..

#5 The Rook

The Rook

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,579 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

Awesome! Now cut Thrash, trade down whenever you can, and draft 2-3 WRs, and see who develops/pans out.

Yeah ... right.

:helmet: The Rook

#6 AKM311

AKM311

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

Personally, I wanted him back.

#7 2006Skins

2006Skins

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

I guess that's why St Louis isn't doing so well, they're picking up our leftovers :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. I actually wanted the skins to keep Caldwell, but it's not much of a loss since we have kept Mix

#8 flexxskins

flexxskins

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,515 posts

I don't understand. What's "awesome" about losing Caldwell?

#9 adamyesme1111

adamyesme1111

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Oh, that would be smart wouldn't it? :doh:

#10 twobags95

twobags95

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 470 posts

Trash isn't going anywhere.

#11 TGI Jef

TGI Jef

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

Here is the ESPN article:

Reche Caldwell still hasn't cashed in on a big contract yet from his 61-catch season with the Patriots in 2006, but he's hoping to strike gold in St. Louis.

Caldwell agreed Tuesday to a one-year,$645,000 contract with the Rams. He had a minimum salary offer to stay with the Redskins and he also had an offer from Carolina.

He becomes the second Redskins backup to leave for the Rams. Last Friday, cornerback David Macklin signed a one-year deal with St. Louis.

The Rams will be the 28-year-old receiver's fourth team in four seasons. His career started in San Diego where he was a second-round pick of the Chargers in the 2002 draft.

He had 15 catches last season with the Redskins.

-- John Clayton, ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3310781

he made some big catches for us last year, but the bolded sentence is the one that really struck me in this article - it is proof that we are setting limits on how much we will pay for players and walking away if the offer is rejected.

i know that caldwell is not a huge name, but still - this phenomenon has been a rarity lately. would have been a nice player to keep, but if he wants more im glad we arent giving it to him.

#12 nehneh

nehneh

The Camp Fodder

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

Oh, that would be smart wouldn't it? :doh:

haha i was thinking the same thing :doh:

#13 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

Actually, Thrash's position is now even more solid now that Caldwell won't be back. With three reliable vets and a bunch of no-names behind them, it would take a lot for Thrash to fear for his job.

Jason

#14 ktball74

ktball74

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

Our loss. I think he was a very solid receiver.

#15 MartinC

MartinC

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

Sorry to see him go - I thought he was a very solid 4th receiver for us last year down the stretch.

Interesting that he seems to have taken a vet minimum deal with St Louis over the same money with us - they must have given him hope of more playing time than he would ikely have had with us to pad his stats and get a better deal somewhere in 2009.

#16 Robbnva

Robbnva

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

That just means they want to get Sweed AND Nelson in the draft. :applause:

if we picked up both of them I would be fine with it

#17 ATCRedskin82

ATCRedskin82

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

Great to know Redskins Insider was all over this. I know he wasnt a world beater but i wish we would have kept him. Im so nervous about drafting a WR because historically we are so bad...Im all for drafting the lines. I know its not flashy but its the way we should go...

#18 acuratl1984

acuratl1984

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:06 AM

Meh,

Even though it would have been nice for him to stay.
But this really gives Anthony Mix more chances.
We have like 4 WR now? Not counting the off season add-ons.

Moss
Randle El
Mix
Trash?

how about

Moss
Randle El
Mix
Nelson
Arrington
Espy / Monk ?

We could grab Jordy Nelson in the 3rd
Grab Adrian Arrington in the 6th or 7th

Bring back Mike Espy for training camp.
Perhaps get Marcus Monk as an UDFA? (dont know much about Monk, but seems like a lot of people like him)

#19 MozeDawg

MozeDawg

The Waterboy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

Sorry to see him go - I thought he was a very solid 4th receiver for us last year down the stretch.

Interesting that he seems to have taken a vet minimum deal with St Louis over the same money with us - they must have given him hope of more playing time than he would ikely have had with us to pad his stats and get a better deal somewhere in 2009.

my thoughts exactly...

#20 Skins5235

Skins5235

The Camp Fodder

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

this means more opportunities for mix.

#21 jrockster21

jrockster21

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 18,464 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:10 AM

:doh:

Cut Thrash and draft 2-3 WRs? Are you out of your mind?

:doh:

EDIT: I could see us MAYBE drafting 2 WRs - a higher-rounder and a 7th round gamble, but no way we draft 3.

#22 JimmyConway

JimmyConway

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

For some reason I don't think it came down to playing time because he could've won the #3 spot from Thrash. I think it has more to do with Saunders. Perhaps they spoke about how he would utilized there and here.

That just means they want to get Sweed AND Nelson in the draft. :applause:

if we picked up both of them I would be fine with it

I highly doubt that this will happen. You can dream though!

I really wanted Caldwell back. Oh well.

#23 2006Skins

2006Skins

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

Meh,

Moss
Randle El
Mix
Trash?

how about

Moss
Randle El
Mix
Nelson
Arrington
Espy / Monk ?

Perhaps get Marcus Monk as an UDFA? (dont know much about Monk, but seems like a lot of people like him)

I wouldn't count on Espy coming back. Mix has apparently impressed so look for the skins to only draft a wr in the top 2 rounds.

#24 SkinsGuy

SkinsGuy

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:13 AM

I wanted Caldwell to stay, but I am not going to cry over his signing somewhere else.

His presence here wasn't going to make or break the Redskins this coming season.

#25 COWBOY-KILLA-

COWBOY-KILLA-

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

We may end up drafting more than one receiver if a trade or acquisition is not made. Caldwell was cheap and reliable but not the future or a gamechanger, just pushes us more and more in the direction of a WR with that 1st pick if sweed, hardy, thomas are available.

How does this sound? :whoknows:

1st pick James Hardy
2nd pick Lawrence Jackson
3rd pick Jordy Nelson
3rd pick Chevis Jackson
5th pick OL
6th pick OL
7th pick OL

#26 bubba9497

bubba9497

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 91,284 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

oh well... I thought he could have had more opportunities this season if he came back

#27 Mr. S

Mr. S

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 11,816 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

I would have kept him for $655k. That doesn't seem like much, and probalby not much more than the vet minimum for his experience. He became a crucial guy for us on third downs, and his size probably could have been useful as a 4th WR in the WCO.

#28 DCchillin89

DCchillin89

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:24 AM

We may end up drafting more than one receiver if a trade or acquisition is not made. Caldwell was cheap and reliable but not the future or a gamechanger, just pushes us more and more in the direction of a WR with that 1st pick if sweed, hardy, thomas are available.

How does this sound? :whoknows:

1st pick James Hardy
2nd pick Lawrence Jackson
3rd pick Jordy Nelson
3rd pick Chevis Jackson
5th pick OL
6th pick OL
7th pick OL

I think we are reaching a little for James Hardy at 21. I could see us trading down, getting more picks, and snatching him with a high 2nd rounder

#29 headexplode

headexplode

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

I was hoping we could keep him, as well. He could be a solid 3rd/4th WR--a stopgap player, perhaps, until we could develop a WR picked up in the draft. Hopefully, Mix can fill that role for us, and Thrash is always an option. I would have liked to see Caldwell stay around, and draft a WR in a later round as I feel Oline depth/development/youth is a pressing need right now.

#30 J-bomb

J-bomb

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

Meh,

Moss
Randle El
Mix
Trash?

how about

Moss
Randle El
Mix
Nelson
Arrington
Espy / Monk ?

Actually these are our other back-ups that we have on our roster:

Maurice Mann 6'1" 190 bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Mann
Burl Toler 6'2" bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl_Toler,_III
Billy McMullen 6'4" 215 bio http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4553
Anthony Mix 6'5" 235 Video bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Mix

We might cut one of these guys to keep thrash but that's if Zorn what's him in, thrash was a Gibbs guy so we will see what moves happen in the draft!:2cents:

(Info taken from jistardy post)

#31 Blackest Eyes

Blackest Eyes

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:34 AM

UGH. I wanted Caldwell to stay. Oh well. This should be good then. We are definitely drafting a WR now.

#32 the burgundy and gold

the burgundy and gold

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,247 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:35 AM

damn wish we could have kept him, he's a solid receiver. He will probably do well in St Louis, they always have a very good offense.

#33 RammsteinSkins

RammsteinSkins

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

Oh well,I wish we could have had him back but...I wish him luck in St Louis.

#34 Skinsinparadise

Skinsinparadise

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,093 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:59 AM

Ha, well, Randle El, and Moss never get injured. We don't need depth, dump everybody. We all know rookie Wrs almost always emerge right away as studs in the NFL.

Anyway, sarcasm aside, I really don't get the Skins approach to this position. We have 2 small injury prone Wr's (Randle El, was Ok though in his defense until last season), where will the depth be coming from?

I like the idea of drafting young WR's but they rarely emerge right away. The draft geeks also aren't overly excited about any one of the Wr prospects, deep WR draft, but no sure fire studs seems to be their sentiment.

This isn't so much my sentiment about Cladwell but ignore Hackett and Johnson who were taken very cheap.

#35 rdavis2005

rdavis2005

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

Maybe we'll give Darrell Jackson a look now. He may play for the vet minimum and he's an upgrade over Caldwell. He has played for Zorn in Seattle.

#36 Tom10Y

Tom10Y

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

I liked Caldwell too. Didn't complain, caught whatever was thrown to him, specially a bunch of 3rd downs. I was hoping he'd be our #3 this year.

But oh well...

#37 J-bomb

J-bomb

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

Ha, well, Randle El, and Moss never get injured. We don't need depth, dump everybody. We all know rookie Wrs almost always emerge right away as studs in the NFL.

Anyway, sarcasm aside, I really don't get the Skins approach to this position. We have 2 small injury prone Wr's (Randle El, was Ok though in his defense until last season),

where will the depth be coming from?

I like the idea of drafting young WR's but they rarely emerge right away. The draft geeks also aren't overly excited about any one of the Wr prospects, deep WR draft, but no sure fire studs seems to be their sentiment.

This isn't so much my sentiment about Cladwell but ignore Hackett and Johnson who were taken very cheap.

Here's our current Depth, all unproven!

Maurice Mann 6'1" 190 bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Mann
Burl Toler 6'2" bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl_Toler,_III
Billy McMullen 6'4" 215 bio http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4553
Anthony Mix 6'5" 235 Video bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Mix

#38 Sebowski

Sebowski

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

I'm glad he didn't re-sign with us. I've never liked the guy.

#39 corrupt3d

corrupt3d

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:40 PM

Best of luck to him

#40 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

Anyway, sarcasm aside, I really don't get the Skins approach to this position. We have 2 small injury prone Wr's (Randle El, was Ok though in his defense until last season), where will the depth be coming from?

Well, the injury issues with them have mostly been hammy issues, which is a problem at a lot of positions on this team and they are trying to address it. It certainly isn't because they get hurt when they get hit.

Depth is probably going to come from younger players. If anyone gets hurt for a signifigant length of time, I assume that the team will do what they did last year when they picked up Caldwell and McCardell. There are always going to be veterans out there like that who can come in and contribute a little bit.

Personally, I didn't think Caldwell was all that. He came in and made some decent catches, but there are a few guys out there who can do that much. To be honest, Caldwell wasn't going to see the field all that often here, and he knew it, particularly if we do bring in some young guys at receiver.

Jason