On Now
Coming Up
  • Fri., Nov. 14, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:15 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media after practice at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, November 14, 2014.
  • Fri., Nov. 14, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Buccaneers kickoff on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Buccaneers game at FedExField on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Buccaneers game at FedExField on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 17, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Tue., Nov. 18, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 19, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 20, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 21, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Photo

Skins Talking Trade with Bears at #4 Spot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you want the Skins to sign Emmitt? (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you want the Skins to sign Emmitt?

1. Yes, that would be a good idea! (13 votes [20.97%])

Percentage of vote: 20.97%

2. No, He is old and a former Cowboy! (49 votes [79.03%])

Percentage of vote: 79.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 inmate running the asylum

inmate running the asylum

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:54 PM

Hmm. Very interesting. :laugh: It would appear the Bears contacted the Redskins and not the other way around.

DAILY RUMOR MILL by Profootballtalk editor Mike Florio
POSTED 3:35 p.m. EST, February 27, 2003 (THURSDAY)

'SKINS, BEARS TALKIN' SMOOT

Our official Chicago mole tells us that Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo recently spoke with Redskins officials regarding cornerback Fred Smoot.

This new would appear to suggest that the 'Skins are dangling Smoot (and, presumably, their No. 13 overall pick) to the Bears, in exchange for the four hole in the draft, and possibly more. Given that Angelo has posed questions regarding matters such as Smott's health and his contract, it appears that the Bears might have some interest in making a deal.

It's no secret that the 'Skins would like to move up in the draft. The Washington Times reported on Wednesday that the 'Skins offered Smoot to the Lions in an effort to grab the No. 2 spot in the draft. Pete Prisco of CBSSportsline.com reports today that the Redskins have talked with two other team about a Smoot deal, presumably for a higher draft spot.

If the Bears stand pat, we've confirmed that they will not take a quarterback in the four spot, under any circumstances. Instead, they'll look to free agency, and Angelo's top choices in free agency are Kordell Stewart and Jake Delhomme. Angelo also would be interested in Jake Plumme, but he's accepted the fact that Plummer most likely is heading to Denver -- and that he's likely going to want more money than the Bears would pay.

#2 Johnny Punani2

Johnny Punani2

The Pro Bowlers

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:58 PM

That might be a good idea. I don't think we wouldn' have a shot to draft Charles Rogers but Andre Johnson would be there for sure. Also, if the Skins wanted to Draft a DT Dewayne Robertson would be there at 4 as well.

#3 Posse81

Posse81

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:58 PM

Where did you find this?

Lets say this happens--Suggs or Johnson?

#4 gridironmike

gridironmike

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:00 PM

Which player would make the most impact for us with the #4 pick? If you are picking in the top ten, you want immediate impact. Suggs, Rogers, or Johnson.

#5 Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:05 PM

Where there's smoke there's fire.

Sure seems like Smooty is on his way out. Fred - we hardly knew ya?

I hope the FO knows what they are doing. It sure would be sweet though to move up ahead of Dallas and grab Suggs from right under their noses.

#6 Johnny Punani2

Johnny Punani2

The Pro Bowlers

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:05 PM

I think Robertson should be in there with immediate impact players. Personally, I don't think the Skins are going to pick a DE if they move to 4. It's going to be a WR or DT. I think a DE will be picked in next years draft.

#7 Skins26

Skins26

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:07 PM

I like having that pick. But i dont like the idea of trading smoot. He was drafted by us and im a believer that when you draft someone you stay with them for at least 3 years. He had a great 1st year not too good of a 2nd but that can be fixed. He is a great personality to have in the locker room and with what we see talking to the media. I love Fred Smoot he cant go. Him and Champ are good friends. What if next year champ doesnt resign because of this??

Is Bauman really ready to handle the starting CB spot??
if not what do we do to take his place.

I HATE trading players cause i actually have a heart unlike Danny Snyder. But in his job its good to not have a heart. I like trading draft picks better. They are just something written on paper and not a human that we've grown to love the past 2 years.

#8 DaRock

DaRock

The Backup

• Banned
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:09 PM

Suggs or Rogers..Bears have the number 4? I hate to lose smoot if we do this, but if we do, I would have to take Rogers if we can. If he is not available def. suggs. Maybe we can trade something to get smoot back after we trade him..lol..I agree with you skins26, us dedicated fans want to keep high draft picks that have proven well and have shown a dedication to wearing the redskins uniform.

#9 BD

BD

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:11 PM

This would be stupid, folks. Stupid. Smoot and a #13 pick are not worth one #4 pick. NOT WORTH IT. That's like trading two number ones for the #4 overall. The CB market is weak; the WR market isn't.

#10 @SkinsGoldPants

@SkinsGoldPants

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 22,587 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:12 PM

where was this from? What site?

#11 Posse81

Posse81

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:13 PM

If we jump up to #4 and decide on d-line, we have to take Suggs. We can always re-do Wilkinson's deal and work something out with Powell or even go get Thornton for a modest price, but there are not as many options at DE.

Suggs is the top d-lineman available. I'd take him-but probably not over Johnson and definetly not over Rogers.

#12 AJWatson3

AJWatson3

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:16 PM

I posted this yesterday on a diff site:

"Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, teams now know what we are offering to move up in the draft... if we really did...??
Teams that could really use some CB help and draft in front of us:
CIN, DET, CHI, DAL, ARI, MIN, JAX, STL well, that's just about everybody even CAR isn't that well off....

So what is realistic? I think CHI is a legit possibility, and then they could look more seriously at going after a QB (Boller or Grossman) with their first rounder... at the four pick there is a good chance that AJohnson will be available. Also either TNewman, JKennedy, or TSuggs (two of those three assuming both Palmer and Rogers get drafted).

We might be giving up too much to only get to MIN's seven pick, another spot AJohnson could fall to. I am presuming we are looking to trade up in order to get a WR."

#13 inmate running the asylum

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:17 PM

I reposted it. It came from Mike Florio's website.

If it is strictly Smoot and the #13 pick and the Skins take Terrell Suggs I would probably do it. But if the Skins have to chip in extra high picks like a #2 and #3, I doubt that I would make the trade. I am afraid if we give up too much it is going to gut our draft. It would still make more sense to me by signing Gbaja-Biamila of the Packers and just giving them our #13 pick, without Smoot.
I might also consider DT Jimmy Kennedy.

Drafting DT DeWayne Robertson at #4 is way too high. He is a junior and never got more then 4 or 5 sacks, and hasn't even been timed in a forty yet. :doh:

Taking Andre Johnson at #4 is a BIG BIG GAMBLE, when you are giving up that much. I still have nightmares over the Desmond Howard move UP in the draft. Geez ... two #1's for Howard who was also a junior, and he bombs out on top of that. :doh:

Could the Skins be secretly after QB Byron Leftwich and also package Ramsey to the Bears? :rolleyes:

#14 @SkinsGoldPants

@SkinsGoldPants

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 22,587 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:18 PM

no, they are not after another QB.

#15 MorgantownHokie88

MorgantownHokie88

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:19 PM

Disagree. Trading Smoot might be a good idea. For one, he is in the last year of his contract and he is going to demand top dollar because he is looking for a big pay day since he wasn't a first rounder. Smoot is a good corner, but not a great corner. Bauman or a FA could be put in his place.

It's obvious what they are doing here, they are trying to postion themselves for Andre Johnson, but if he's not there they can grab the best DT or DE (Suggs) or even trade back down.

They have a real PR nightmare if they stand pat and take Jacobs, the third WR, since he is from Florida and all the critics will start to jump on even though he might fit.

Basically they would rather get something for Smoot now, when they know, he probably won't be back after next year anyway because we are going to have to pay Champ.

#16 Luca Brasi

Luca Brasi

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:23 PM

No matter who we take at #4, DL or WR, they're going to be an immediate impact player. I think we go WR based on the rumors.

#17 All In

All In

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:26 PM

Thinking down the road... When Smoot's contract runs out, not sure how much longer, he's going to want Champ Bailey type money. We'll offer less, but how much are we going to tie up in two Corner spots? Combined the Skins would probably paying more than anyone for the Corner positions. If Bauman is adequate enough with some Safety help why couldn't we do Champ/Bauman? I mean look at all the years Green had no one next to him, T. Carter, M.Mayhew, etc...

Trading him now, allows you to lock up Champ, and have an adequate starter on the other side, plus getting some good value from a former Number 2 pick.

I don't think it's a bad deal, and I wouldn't mind keeping Smoot, but I could see how we may loose him in FA in a few years.

#18 codeorama

codeorama

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 17,527 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:27 PM

IF this is true, the Skins will pick a WR. Spurrier has made it clear that he wants a speed WR.
To debate the other positions is a joke, there's no way that the Skins are going to give up Smoot for anything other than the top 2 receivers in the draft.

#19 inmate running the asylum

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:29 PM

I dont have any problem trading Smoot for a quality replacement, but when you throw in the #13 pick, and #2 and #3 draft picks -- you are essentially talking about a 4 for 1 trade.

And assuming that Andre Johnson is a player, it still may take him two years to develop. Besides Johnson still hasn't run his forty yet. :doh:

#20 Skins26

Skins26

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:29 PM

If we take Dwayne Robertson with the 4th and get rid of smoot im going to puke in a jar and send it to Dan Snyder. I will then proceed to go buy a #21 Smoot Bears uniform and raise it on a pole outside of reskin park. Just so when Robertson has a 3 sack season for his first 8 seasons Snyder remembers every second of it.

If we get a QB i swear to god too!!!!! i would be overcome with anger if we drafted leftwich with 4....not that i dont like him but we dont need him it would just be another year in the dump if we did that.

#21 Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:33 PM

Skins26

Tell us how you really feel? Dont hold back now :laugh:

#22 inmate running the asylum

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:35 PM

Incidentally Smoot is NOT in the last year of his contract. He signed a 4 year contract in 2001.

Some of you guys have got to do some research once in awhile before you post. :laugh:

#23 Brown 43

Brown 43

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:41 PM

Maybe Edinger will be part of the deal?

#24 matty dread

matty dread

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:48 PM

Snyder is looking to trade up for a WR.

There's no way he takes a defensive player if we move up.

He wants to make the splashy pick.

#25 DSF

DSF

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:49 PM

I am FIRMLY against the idea of trading Smoot... Next to Champ, we have an awesome pairing and I dont see the need of creating a hole just to fill another.

Smoot better stay or I'll be mighty pissed. A second round bargain much like Jansen was. KEEP SMOOT!

#26 GSF

GSF

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:52 PM

Well it appears that Mad Mike is right, and Snyder and SOS will trade up to take Rodgers or Johnson. Det. will get Rodgers so Johnson will be it. This just feels like a huge mistake to me, but what do I know?:high:. :cheers: I would probably do the Smoot deal to take Suggs at #4, but that's not going to happen.

#27 Brown 43

Brown 43

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:54 PM

I'm sure they feel Baumann is ready to go!

#28 inmate running the asylum

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:56 PM

Well I can tell you that we are not going to be able to move up to #4 by just throwing in Smoot. The Bears are bound to be asking for at least another #2 and #3 pick.

So you guys who are in favor of moving up.... are comfortable with a 4 for 1 deal for an untested wide receiver? This could blow up in our face and turn out worse then the Desmond Howard deal. :doh:

#29 The Sisko

The Sisko

The Pro Bowlers

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:56 PM

Smoot had a pretty bad season. However, I have some serious reservations about starting Bauman. He covers well, but his lack of height could end up being a real problem.

Anyone remember a CB for the Gints that got repeatedly toasted back when Norv was here ? He was just too short and we passed the ball to his side of the field repeatedly until they took him out of the game. I think he was cut after that game. I'd hate to see a re-do of that with Bauman.

#30 Carlito Sway

Carlito Sway

The Role Player

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:57 PM

I back Smoot, obviously. But he ain't Champ Bailey, and considering that we just aced #48, the Skins will need more than Rod in the WR Corps. Anyway, that's my read of what they must be thinking. So if they pull the trigger, whomever they draft better pan out, and pronto. Corners aren't easy to come by. Having two of the best is pretty much the only area in which the Redskins lead the NFL. I'm not sure this is a good idea . . . but if they aren't going to do it, deny deny deny! Not a good idea to dangle a guy if you want him to bleed B&G.

#31 A_Monk81

A_Monk81

The Waterboy

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:58 PM

Bauman, this is the guy that was constantly out of postion when he did play and constantly got burned.
Smoot's replacement, come on.
ok so smoot got burned a bit last year.
I cannot blame him no one wants to throw at champ so they go after Smoot or the other db's on the field.
And since he plays on the edge he did get burned a few times.
Now Smoot does not have the coverage skills that Champ does but the kid has a fire i his belly and really loves to play for the skins.
Will this trade happen, most likely.
Should it happen, that would depend on who we pick.
Will we miss Smoot if the trade does go through...every sunday when Bauman is getting lit up by opposing recievers.

#32 inmate running the asylum

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 05:05 PM

We got to get someone else's opinions on this thread besides carpetbaggers. :laugh: Where is Art, NavyDave and Bulldog when you need them?

Well its still light outside, so I guess Bulldog is still probably chasing cars down the street. :laugh:

#33 luckydevil

luckydevil

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 05:06 PM

Suggs would be a splashy pick. God, I hope its not for a wr.

#34 Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 05:06 PM

Whether you want to deal Smoot or not, I think that this is the time to make a move up. see Mike Vick

Those top 5 picks only get more and more valuable as the draft approaches and teams start falling in love with different guys.

The biggest fleecings come ON draft day. That's when teams get really desperate. see Ricky Williams/Ryan Leaf

But for now, you have March coming with the schools hosting workouts. The men start being separated from the boys, and the prices go up for the top picks.

Now is the time to strike if we are going to do so. Not at 1:00pm April 26th.

#35 TheDiplomat

TheDiplomat

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 05:12 PM

If we keep Smoot and Bailey, in about 2 or 3 years it will be like having Darrell Green and Deion Sanders in their prime, playing on the same time.

#36 BD

BD

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 05:19 PM

Originally posted by MorgantownHokie88
Disagree. Trading Smoot might be a good idea. For one, he is in the last year of his contract and he is going to demand top dollar because he is looking for a big pay day since he wasn't a first rounder. Smoot is a good corner, but not a great corner. Bauman or a FA could be put in his place.

It's obvious what they are doing here, they are trying to postion themselves for Andre Johnson, but if he's not there they can grab the best DT or DE (Suggs) or even trade back down.

They have a real PR nightmare if they stand pat and take Jacobs, the third WR, since he is from Florida and all the critics will start to jump on even though he might fit.

Basically they would rather get something for Smoot now, when they know, he probably won't be back after next year anyway because we are going to have to pay Champ.

Okay, I already said this was a STUPID trade, but let me explain a little more.

This is not stupid because we're getting rid of Smoot. I believe Smoot is just worth more than what we'd be doing here.

If we were giving up Smoot and our #13 for more than just a #4 pick -- the Lions trade was for more than just their #2 -- I could buy this trade as a good deal. But we will not get Suggs or Rogers in this hypothetical trade. We'll be losing a solid CB (I'd grade him as worth about a #25 overall pick) AND our #1 for one rookie player who is NOT Rogers or Suggs... and that to me seems like we're getting hosed.

We're not talking about choosing a QB here. They're either going to take a D-Lineman or a WR... and I don't think there's any way they use this pick on a Defensive player.

Let's look at who's available according to
Mel Kiper's Big Board, which I personally think is overrated, but is still a good judge of about where people will go. Check out these D-Linemen:

Kevin Williams DT Okla. St.
Dewayne Robertson DT Kentucky
William Joseph DT Miami
Chris Kelsay DE Nebraska
Kenny Peterson DT Ohio St.
Johnathan Sullivan DT Georgia

Even if some of these guys go earlier, every single one of them has mad skills at their position and would be an immediate starter on whatever line they go to. But the Front Office doesn't want them, and a #4 pick is too late to pick Suggs or Rogers...

So we have to presume they want Andre Johnson. And by my measure, Andre Johnson is not worth Fred Smoot and any of the above DTs.

#37 inmate running the asylum

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 05:56 PM

Dirk Diggler,

I would be very surprised if any trade comes down before the top players have run their forties and had their Pro Day workouts.
Hardly none of the top players ran at the combine. :D

#38 Larry Brown #43

Larry Brown #43

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 07:24 PM

Here is the list of WRs who were drafted in the top 10 overall over the last five years:

David Terrell - Bears
Koren Robinson - Seahawks
Peter Warrick - Bengals
Plaxico Burress - Steelers
Torry Holt - Rams
David Boston - Cardinals

Anyone still want to trade Smoot and the #13 overall? Not me. Rather mediocre list, if you ask me.

#39 inmate running the asylum

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 07:28 PM

Larry Brown,

Terrell and Warrick have been busts, and Robinson, Boston, Burress and Holt didnt do anything as I recall in their rookie years.

So do we want to gamble on Johnson and have to wait at least 2 years before he produces? Not me. :rolleyes:

#40 The Sir

The Sir

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 07:37 PM

I dont wanna trade Smoot if we're gonna be using the pick we get to draft a defensive player, too big a risk with not enough reward. Its gotta be Charles Rogers or maybe Andre Johnson, otherwise I just dont like it.