On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Mar. 18, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Wed., Mar. 19, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Thu., Mar. 20, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Mar. 21, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Mar. 24, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Mar. 25, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Mar. 26, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Mar. 27, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Mar. 28, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Mar. 31, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Photo

Pentagon to implant microchips in soldiers' brains

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
84 replies to this topic

#1 Ken

Ken

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

Glad I'm not in the Military.

http://pressesc.com/...soldiers-brains

http://www.clemson.e...b/projects.html

#2 zoony

zoony

Ring of Fame

• Moderators
  • 20,344 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

But Anthony Guiseppi-Elie, C3B director and Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and Bioengineering claims the that the invivo biosensors will save lives as first responders to the trauma scene could inject the biochip into the wounded victim and gather data almost immediately.

He believes that the device has other long-term potential applications, such as monitoring astronauts’ vital signs during long-duration space flights and reading blood-sugar levels for diabetics.

“We now lose a large percentage of patients to bleeding, and getting vital information such as how much oxygen is in the tissue back to ER physicians and medical personnel can often mean the difference between life and death,” said Guiseppi-Elie. “Our goal is to improve the quality and expediency of care for fallen soldiers and civilian trauma victims.” The biochip also may be injected as a precaution to future traumas

sounds like a great idea :whoknows:

#3 Switchgear

Switchgear

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

Hasn't the government locked Ken away yet? What's the holdup?

#4 Ken

Ken

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

Hasn't the government locked Ken away yet? What's the holdup?

What did I do?

I didn't come up with the idea...

#5 PeterMP

PeterMP

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:12 PM

Glad I'm not in the Military.

That makes at least two of us.

#6 Ken

Ken

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

That makes at least two of us.

So your willing to take a chip?

#7 rdsknbill

rdsknbill

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:41 PM

What did I do?

I didn't come up with the idea...

NO, but you are the one that inflames this kind of BS :bsflag:

#8 Raub

Raub

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

Your first link is broken and the second one is far from your thread title.

#9 Ken

Ken

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:43 PM

Your first link is broken and the second one is far from your thread title.

Thanks, but the first is working for me.

Let me know if you can't get it.

#10 Switchgear

Switchgear

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:44 PM

sounds like a great idea :whoknows:

No, see zoony, in Ken-world, anything the government uses technology for must be evil. They will use this technology to inject mind control devices directly into our brains and turn us into a nation of American Idol watching soda drinking sheep and then fly planes into buildings so that we'll go to war in Iraq. It all makes perfect sense.

#11 zoony

zoony

Ring of Fame

• Moderators
  • 20,344 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

Your asinine response reminds me of the old joke about deductive reasoning:

New guy moves into neighborhood, his new neighbor comes over to talk to him and welcome him.

Neighbor: "Welcome to the neighborhood! What do you do for a living?"

New Guy: "I teach deductive reasoning at the local college"

Neighbor: "What is deductive reasoning?"

New Guy: "Let me show you an example. For instance, I can look over the fence and see into your yard. I can deduce the following:
I see a doghouse, which tells me you have a dog...
If you have a dog, you must have children...
If you have children, you must have a wife...
And if you have a wife, you must be a heterosexual!

So through deductive reasoning I can look in your back yard and tell your sexual orientation."

Neighbor: "Cool!"

Later, the neighbor is talking to a friend of his:

Neighbor: "Say, I met a college professor today... just moved into the neighborhood. He teaches deductive reasoning"

Friend: "Deductive reasoning, what's that?"

Neighbor: "I'll show you. Let's see... do you have a doghouse in your back yard?"

Friend: "No"

Neighbor: "FAG!"

:laugh:

#12 Ken

Ken

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

NO, but you are the one that inflames this kind of BS :bsflag:

"inflames this kind of BS"

WTF does that mean?

I suppose you knew about this already and was perfectly fine with it?

Sorry if I personally wouldn't take a chip in my brain that reports back 24/7 everything I do.

:doh:

#13 Ken

Ken

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:47 PM

Your asinine response reminds me of the old joke about deductive reasoning:

:laugh:

I think I have figured out the problem...you are not smart enough to understand what It is that I posted.

Sorry if you are inferring things that I did not say. All I said was I didn't want a chip in my brain.

Apparently you are ok with this.

You should go into the "Two Liberals" thread. That is more your speed.

#14 zoony

zoony

Ring of Fame

• Moderators
  • 20,344 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:49 PM

All I said was I didn't want a chip in my brain.

Apparently you are ok with this.

So you want our soldiers to die and our astronauts to perish? Really? You are a heartless ****.

(See ken, I can play too. Your move, chief. :munchout: )

#15 Ken

Ken

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

So you want our soldiers to die and our astronauts to perish? Really? You are a heartless ****.

Ok buddy...

Let me ask you this...

If they were going to use it for bad things, do you think they would announce it?

Your move..

#16 Switchgear

Switchgear

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:57 PM

Ok buddy...

Let me ask you this...

If they were going to use it for bad things, do you think they would announce it?

Your move..

So everything that the government hasn't announced that they will use for "bad things" will be used to do bad things? Man, you've really uncovered something there.

#17 zoony

zoony

Ring of Fame

• Moderators
  • 20,344 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:58 PM

Ok buddy...

Let me ask you this...

Your move..

No. and you certainly wouldn't be reading about it on Clemson's website :laugh: :laugh:

:dunce:

I'm actually embarassed for you.

#18 Ken

Ken

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

No. and you certainly wouldn't be reading about it on Clemson's website :laugh: :laugh:

Be "embarassed" for the poor soldiers who have to take this...

"Soldiers fear that the biochip, about the size of a grain of rice, which measures and relays information on soldiers vital signs 24 hours a day, can be used to put them under surveillance even when they are off duty."

#19 Ken

Ken

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:11 PM

Kinda like you wouldn't read about DARPA at Virginia Tech's website?

(Pre Cho anyway)

#20 cjcdaman

cjcdaman

The Starter

• Banned
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:27 PM

:laugh: He was responding to you and agreeing with you. No, he isn't willing to "take" a chip. :rotflmao:

#21 Ken

Ken

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

:laugh: He was responding to you and agreeing with you. No, he isn't willing to "take" a chip. :rotflmao:

I don't think he was.

I think he was saying he was glad I'm not in the Military.

If I am wrong, which I don't think I am, then I apologize.

#22 Fergasun

Fergasun

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:49 PM

I for one welcome our new nano-microprocessor over... 1101011010101010

#23 Bang

Bang

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 12,359 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

A soldier is literally government property, they can do almost anything they want with him.
In this case, a chip can help locate him and guide hi in battle, plus perhaps monitor him if he's wounded.
In a military application, i see no problem with it.

Now, if thye start lining us up and injecting us all with them, well, then we've got a problem.

~Bang

#24 19Skins72

19Skins72

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:27 AM

No, see zoony, in Ken-world, anything the government uses technology for must be evil. They will use this technology to inject mind control devices directly into our brains and turn us into a nation of American Idol watching soda drinking sheep and then fly planes into buildings so that we'll go to war in Iraq. It all makes perfect sense.

I'm not sure how I feel about this...can you tell me what kind of soda it will be?

#25 dfitzo53

dfitzo53

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,723 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:52 AM

I think I have figured out the problem...you are not smart enough to understand what It is that I posted.

Did you see that zoony? He used his deductive reasoning to figure out that you're dumb. ;)

#26 Bang

Bang

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 12,359 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:57 AM

Be "embarassed" for the poor soldiers who have to take this...

"Soldiers fear that the biochip, about the size of a grain of rice, which measures and relays information on soldiers vital signs 24 hours a day, can be used to put them under surveillance even when they are off duty."

Then they should not enlist and take the oath that says they ARE government property 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year until they separate.
As such the military does have the right to monitor them if they so desire. A soldier is not free, he or she does not live with the same rights as we civilians.

~Bang

#27 Ken

Ken

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

Then they should not enlist and take the oath that says they ARE government property 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year until they separate.
As such the military does have the right to monitor them if they so desire. A soldier is not free, he or she does not live with the same rights as we civilians.

~Bang

I understand that they are "Government Property", but where is the line? Seems that if they mandated taking a chip on your brain, of which lord knows what they could do with it, isn't that a bit much?

If it was voluntary, then that would be a completely different story.

This is certainly my oppionion.

#28 Larry

Larry

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,595 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:38 AM

~Bang

Just allow me to point out that

1) The government has the authority to order soldiers to die.

does not mean

2) Dead soldiers is a good idea.

The topic of discussion here was "Are these chips a good idea?", not "Does the government have the authority?".

(Although considering recent events, a chip that would monitor an astronaut's alcohol intake, 24-7, might not be a completely bad idea, either.)

#29 rumpshakers

rumpshakers

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:33 AM

Another sign of big brother will be watching. I'm glad I'm retired, its a bunch of bull.

#30 Henry

Henry

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 15,242 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:51 AM

Just allow me to point out that

1) The government has the authority to order soldiers to die.

does not mean

2) Dead soldiers is a good idea.

The topic of discussion here was "Are these chips a good idea?", not "Does the government have the authority?".

Larry, I'm not sure that logic works. Because there ARE cases where soldiers DO have to die, and the idea that causes their death IS a good idea (such as the Normandy landings, for example.)

Now then, are these chips a good idea? If they can help us win wars and save lives of our soldiers, then I think they are.

If you are really worried about power abuse in the military, what's to stop an Army from secretly implanting whatever in a soldier's body in their sleep right now? Or doing it under the guise of "this is an innoculation" or something? As Bang says, the government already owns the soldier. A chip that monitors vital signs isn't going to change that.

In other words:

1) the government has the authority to order soldiers to die.

does not mean

2) if you join the military, you are going to die.

And frankly, if they were going to implant some sort of secret form of control/spying into our soldiers, they wouldn't freaking announce it. They'd just do it.

#31 themurf

themurf

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,677 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:04 AM

what's to stop an Army from secretly implanting whatever in a soldier's body in their sleep right now? Or doing it under the guise of "this is an innoculation" or something?

It's called Anthrax shots. They didn't know what the hell they were doing with those and now I have buddies who are screwed up for life -- with issues like degenerative hip conditions and rheumatoid arthritis.

They give six shots over the course of 18 months to complete the Anthrax shots. I got the first one and then the wonderful Army medical staff decided to release me from the program when they figured out I had less than 18 months in my enlistment term and I wasn't sticking around. Don't you think if these shots really were worth a damn they would have kept me in the program or had a better plan than "oh well, he's leaving?"

#32 Larry

Larry

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,595 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

And frankly, if they were going to implant some sort of secret form of control/spying into our soldiers, they wouldn't freaking announce it. They'd just do it.

The folks who are opposed to this idea (and, BTW, I'm not certain I'm one of them) are pointing out exactly the same thing.

#33 monkforhall

monkforhall

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

Ok buddy...

Let me ask you this...

Your move..

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

I bet we're all part computer in the future.

#34 Henry

Henry

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 15,242 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:53 AM

It's called Anthrax shots. They didn't know what the hell they were doing with those and now I have buddies who are screwed up for life -- with issues like degenerative hip conditions and rheumatoid arthritis.

They give six shots over the course of 18 months to complete the Anthrax shots. I got the first one and then the wonderful Army medical staff decided to release me from the program when they figured out I had less than 18 months in my enlistment term and I wasn't sticking around. Don't you think if these shots really were worth a damn they would have kept me in the program or had a better plan than "oh well, he's leaving?"

Yeah, I've got a cousin in the Marines and another who's an Army Ranger. I've heard stories.

I'm not suggesting everything the military does to it's soldiers is a good idea. I think what I said was "If they can help us win wars and save lives of our soldiers, then I think they are."

#35 Koolblue13

Koolblue13

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:15 PM

Yeah, I've got a cousin in the Marines and another who's an Army Ranger. I've heard stories.

I'm not suggesting everything the military does to it's soldiers is a good idea. I think what I said was "If they can help us win wars and save lives of our soldiers, then I think they are."

Maybe if we all get them, we can stop drug use and crime.

#36 zoony

zoony

Ring of Fame

• Moderators
  • 20,344 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:47 PM

That would be great!

#37 Henry

Henry

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 15,242 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

If we were all in the military, that would make a lot of sense.

I guess.

#38 Koolblue13

Koolblue13

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

If we were all in the military, that would make a lot of sense.

I guess.

Or being born in Florida nowadays or a pet in New Jersey, but it'll never happen anywhere else.

#39 Baculus

Baculus

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

Well, I think part of the issue here is that the government and military hasn't always demonstrated brilliance when it comes to the welfare of its soldiers. Case in point, clean-up crews of soldiers, in the first Gulf War, who were told that depleted uranium was safe because the uranium is "depleted," or the recent controversy with dragon skin body armor. Or my nephew's unit, which is being sent to Iraq in two weeks, having to pay for its own bus trip from NJ to MD to visit their families before they are shipped out, because the military doesn't want to pay for the bill.

Yes, it is true that everything the government does isn't "evil." It is also true that everything the government does isn't "good" as well. You'd have to seriously naive to put your complete faith in government (and government contractors) with some of these programs.

So, there is little reason to assume that microchipping soldiers is some wonderful experiment that is going to go terribly well, and that the government has the complete and total best interests of the soldier at the heart of this microchipping. Because the government has yet to display such an interest in the past and the present.

#40 Henry

Henry

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 15,242 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

Or being born in Florida nowadays or a pet in New Jersey, but it'll never happen anywhere else.

What the hell are you talking about?

Hey, did you guys know that the government can tell a soldier where to live? And what to eat? When to sleep? We'd better watch out. Next thing you know you'll wake up and find yourself living in Poughkeepsie and eating brussell sprouts for breakfast.

Oh, and someone has developed this thing called a pacemaker that they put INTO YOUR BODY to regulate your heartbeat. Who knows what else the thing does? I'll tell you, if I ever have a heart problem there's no WAY I'm letting them put one of THOSE in me!

Good gravy, people. The military researches ways to improve the capabilities of it's soldiers all the time. Medicine has already developed technology that involves implants and monitoring of vital organs. If this sort of thing freaks you out, move to a place that doesn't have a military and doesn't practice medical research ... like the moon.