Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

What modern unis do you guys like that don't look totally goofy is what I want to know?

I like our unis. I like tradition. I think it's weird that people go "Oh, well, we've been losing forever in these uniforms, time for a change", like it's been the unis that are problem, or that they represent losing somehow.

Most fan renders of "modern" unis I see look down right hideous. I like that we're one of the teams in the NFL that doesn't change a whole lot about their uniform.

I'd also like to know how many of you would snatch a crayon out of your child's hand when they use a yellow crayon to color something like a treasure chest full of coins that are supposed to be gold.

I absolutely hate the modern uniform designs. Seattle, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Denver, etc...are all terrible, horrible, fugly uniforms. The previous Buffalo Bills uniforms were absolutely horrible too. There is a reason the Bills switched back to a more classic look, and I think pretty much everyone agrees it's for the better.

I've said it here multiple times, but I think the cleaner, and less gimmicky, the better. As much as I loath the Giants, they did their uniforms right. The Raiders also have an awesome uniform. The dark burgundy jersey I've posted a few times of Sonny is what I like. An updated version of that would be what I'd do if I owned the team. I'd also use the colors from the 70th, as that is the best representation of Burgundy and Gold I've seen.

I also don't get why people here think the team looks like "clowns" in the current gold pants. That look is far superior to the white pants. Also, if I had to choose between the "gold" of a team like the Rams, vs. the "gold" used the the Redskins, I'd go with the Redskins. The haters call it clown gold, or French's Mustard, but I'd take it any day over the Rams brownish/tan "gold".

I absolutely hate the modern uniform designs. Seattle, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Denver, etc...are all terrible, horrible, fugly uniforms. The previous Buffalo Bills uniforms were absolutely horrible too. There is a reason the Bills switched back to a more classic look, and I think pretty much everyone agrees it's for the better.

I've said it here multiple times, but I think the cleaner, and less gimmicky, the better. As much as I loath the Giants, they did their uniforms right. The Raiders also have an awesome uniform. The dark burgundy jersey I've posted a few times of Sonny is what I like. An updated version of that would be what I'd do if I owned the team. I'd also use the colors from the 70th, as that is the best representation of Burgundy and Gold I've seen.

I also don't get why people here think the team looks like "clowns" in the current gold pants. That look is far superior to the white pants. Also, if I had to choose between the "gold" of a team like the Rams, vs. the "gold" used the the Redskins, I'd go with the Redskins. The haters call it clown gold, or French's Mustard, but I'd take it any day over the Rams brownish/tan "gold".

I agree with everything you said here, DH. Updating my previous post with your comments, I'd say we update our burgundy and gold to darker colors, similar to the 70th uniforms:

* Home Uniform - Burgundy jersey with gold pants and our "standard" logo helmet

*Away Uniform - White jersey with burgundy pants and our "standard" logo helmet

I think this type of "modernization" to the uniforms would look great. It would keep our style traditional but the color scheme would be slighly updated - both a nod to the past and really great combination for the present and future. No more white pants!

I agree with everything you said here, DH. Updating my previous post with your comments, I'd say we update our burgundy and gold to darker colors, similar to the 70th uniforms:

* Home Uniform - Burgundy jersey with gold pants and our "standard" logo helmet

*Away Uniform - White jersey with burgundy pants and our "standard" logo helmet

I think this type of "modernization" to the uniforms would look great. It would keep our style traditional but the color scheme would be slighly updated - both a nod to the past and really great combination for the present and future. No more white pants!

How come nobody complains about white not being one of our colors when it comes to the jersey? I guess that should be ok because that is what they always did back in the day. White is everybody's color and I just want us to have a great looking, modernized uniform which imo doesn't include gold pants.

---------- Post added May-15th-2012 at 10:30 AM ----------

So you're saying we may go with it in future years?

This sounds a little too much like FSU, which, while a blatant ripoff of the Redskins, is more commonly linked with that look. I am open to a black jersey if done right and doesn't look like we went Oregon Ducks on it.

I dont see anything wrong with a black alternate even if it isn't one of our official colors. There are examples of black alternates that look good and then those that don't. The Chicago Bulls black alternates look great imo as do the Pro Combats VT wore a couple years ago against Boise State. The Eagles black alternates I don't like because they are just solid black and poorly designed. Black and Burgundy is a nice color combo so throw in some gold in there and I think Nike could do something good with it.

I also think that pic of Zorn is one of the least confused he ever looked while with us...lol

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

re: Black Jerseys...I'm just not a fan, unless the team already dons Black (Panthers, Jaguars, Raiders, Saints, Ravens, Steelers). I have no interest in ever seeing the Redskins wear black jerseys or pants. I really hope the powers that be do not let this happen.

Having said that, I'd love to see a "gold" jersey. I think that would look great with the burgundy pants.

The only mock up I've seen though I'm not crazy about. Here it is so y'all get the gist, but this isn't exactly what I'd do:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsTmk48YLOLsDsdkkeGzHc7_QOkT78y2vg6dorw_mSGic5PvV8

I'd be cool with the "gold" (read: canary yellow) pants being a permanent feature of the uniforms if they got rid of those terrible red-white-red pinstripes down the sides in favor of two large stripes, one "burgundy" (read: cardinal/cranberry) and one white, which would match the stripes on the current jersey sleeves.

I also generally agree with Rodriggo: our current unis are bad@ss. I'm not a Washingtonian, nor do I hail from the "DMV." I was born and raised in Sin City. But when I saw the Redskins vs. the Broncos in Super Bowl XXII, with Washington sporting those cool Gibbs Era unis and whooping John Elway's derriere, I fell in love with the 'Skins. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I don't want the team to permanently go away from those unis. Ever.

Yes, I agree on both counts. The gold pants are fine, but the red-white-red pinstripes are hideous. I'd much prefer the two broader stripes like our burgundy and our white pants have over three skinny stripes. It looks solid.

And yeah, I think the current unis are the best the Redskins have ever had. Way better than the 70th "throwbacks" or worst of all the Lombardi yellow helmet look.

Yes, I agree on both counts. The gold pants are fine, but the red-white-red pinstripes are hideous. I'd much prefer the two broader stripes like our burgundy and our white pants have over three skinny stripes. It looks solid.

And yeah, I think the current unis are the best the Redskins have ever had. Way better than the 70th "throwbacks" or worst of all the Lombardi yellow helmet look.

What about a single burgundy stripe down the side? I think that is what would look best...something like:

redskins1.jpg

This is what I would like to see: Home uni is burgundy with gold stripe around the sleeve jersey and gold pants with a single burgundy stripe up the leg. Away Uni is gold with burgundy stripe around the sleeve jersey and burgundy pants with a single gold stripe up the leg. I like the color burgundy of the 80th anniversary jersey and that could also be our home uni jersey. The gold should be the gold of numbers on the 80th anniversary jersey.

Edited to add: Yes to the above picture, colors and stripes. Reverse for away uni.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

You have no soul...

Oh but I do... I have been a fan longer than many have been alive. Retros are great and stuff. I remember when those two striped 80's uniforms that everyone considers "traditional" were just "wild" and ultra modern. Time to change the culture again.

Nike did a skins black uniform with the spear helmet.. Skins didn't go with it this year.

I'd like to see the design - Black traditional or black "Oregon style"? I was hoping for it but glad to see that it was at least proposed. The new alt 80th anniversary uni's are sweet. At the end of the day, if it's the Redskins, any uniform is good for me... Umm, not the Steelers bumblebee look though.

HTTR

What modern unis do you guys like that don't look totally goofy is what I want to know?

A list of unis/identities.

<<<LEAVE AS IS>>>

"Untouchable" (Not really, but you want to keep the classic jersey as the primary "look." These teams have either been so successful or traditional that an overhaul just isn't worth it.

Bears

Packers

49ers - So glad they dropped the black and went back to the 80s.

Jets - Why would you want to drop the SB III Namath look ever?

Raiders

Cowboys

Browns

Chiefs

"Traditional but not as iconic" (These team might be as successful or more so but they have tinkered with their iconic looks.)

Giants - They went to the 50's throwbacks even though they won 2 SBs with the LT look, which will always be the true Giants look to me. The grey pants just look wrong to me, always have, looks to "soft" if you will. Wouldn't say it's goofy but the overall look just isn't as menacing as the 80's / 90's with those dark, dark blue helmets, which was a great look.

Steelers - They changed their numbers to that sans serif slant, same as it was on their helmets at some point in the 90's which maybe nobody cares about but changes the whole vibe for me. It sounds funny, but even that slight a change is just too fancy for the Steel Curtain. Go back to block numbers already.

Redskins - I've made my feelings known already on this, perfect the championship classic.

Eagles - The 80's silver and green was one of the coolest looks around and they scrapped it for the drab ugly, green, white, black they have now with those ridiculous numbers....**** the Eagles anyway.

Vikings - The Favre era jersey is atrocious. Their helmet is great, their colors are iconic, just go simple and go back to playing outdoors.

Dolphins - They're still dealing with the "add black to the jersey-itis." Go back to simple and clean. It's ok to wear pastels, you're Miami.

Chargers - They moved in the right direction a couple of years back going back to the 60's but they need to drop the dark blue completely and just go all white road and powder blue home.

Broncos - Wear orange at home. Wear orange at home. Wear orange at home. Drop the nike swoosh also. One of the few alternate numbers I can live with.

"Traditional Not Iconic"

Saints - Too many lines around the logo which should NOT have been made smaller a couple of years back.

Seahawks - I like their openness to experiment with their look but the hi-vi green just screams WFL.

Bengals - IMHO it's the best helmet ever designed. What they did to the uniform recently is a disaster. Again, stop with the goofy fonts already. THAT helmet, with a simple black jersey, block letters and some tasteful trim would kick so much ******* *** it's unbelievable.

Lions - Dallas has blue and silver pretty much cornered and the Lions have sucked *** for about 300 years but it's a look that fits. What I don't like is the addition of black into the uniform and the goofy numbers.

Bills - I just don't get the white helmets. At least they got rid of those unis that had like 40 colors on them.

"Modern Classic"

Buccaneers[/i] - Good rebrand, jersey have always seemed a little too elaborate to me especially the numbers but at least they're block.

<<<MALEABLE>>>

"Devalued Classic Icons" (Could change, could not, no big deal either way.)

Colts - Every time I see the Colts I think about how they left Baltimore and how cool it would be if they were still there...every time. If the Colts rebranded it would not be a negative in any way. When Irsay says "the horseshoe" I cringe.

Rams - The L.A. Rams gold and blue was a great uniform, never identified it with St. Louis, the gold version is now extra crispy stale, this team should have just rebranded completely. Sad to see THE original helmet design ****ized with a carpetbagger franchise.

Cardinals - I did a whole design project on redesigning this franchise. Suffice to say what they ended up doing in updating their look a couple years back wasn't enough.

"Modern Classic Looks Without Importance"

Ravens - If the Ravens changed their logo would anyone give a ****? It's a dark purple bird on a black helmet, you can't even see it. Black and purple for whatever reason has just never interested me, I suspect it's those goofy numbers, if they went block letters or with a non-ridiculous font it would help stabilize their look. They're a good team, a good franchise but their uniform is too goofy to stick.

Patriots - Any one old enough to remember the late 80's realizes they HAD to rebrand that team. It wasn't a bad job at all but their new look is still not as cool as their old one, it just isn't. Pat the Patriot was just so weird it was endearing, it was actually based on a cartoon created for a Boston paper the day the team was announced. The owner saw it and used it. New England should have white helmets and red jerseys, they could even figure out a way to keep the new logo to not go completely retro. They've won a ton but it's just not a look that means anything....silver and a drab dark blue, who cares?

<<<WORTHLESS>>>

"Class of 95'"

Panthers & Jaguars - Two cool names but neither identity lives up to it. Football icons should illicit an instant visceral reaction and neither does for different reasons. The Panther's pose is a strange 3/4 shot where everything gets flattened and you lose the intended fierceness of the cat's fangs/roar. The Jaguar is too intricate. Plus they both rely on a neutral like black as a primary color which just makes them bland.

"Meh."

Titans - The fact they stole the Oilers from everybody is too painful to ignore. I've never really identified with a flaming shield with a "T" on it.

"Needs to be overhauled"

Texans - Worst logo ever created in the history of eyeballs. Colors are workable but identity is not.

Falcons - I absolutely hate these amorphous shaped icons. The falcon, like the Cardinals head and the Texans skull is so ******* weak to me as an icon. Colorwise they overuse black, their best look was late 80's when they drafted Deion. Go back to a red helmet.