Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

As a 20 year old Redskin fan, I associate our current uniforms with pain and despair. I want nothing more than to change our uniforms as soon as possible because the potential of this team doesn't resemble the past (if that makes any sense whatsoever)

Wizards went back to the RW & B. Just saying.

As a 20 year old Redskin fan, I associate our current uniforms with pain and despair. I want nothing more than to change our uniforms as soon as possible because the potential of this team doesn't resemble the past (if that makes any sense whatsoever)

What do you think of something like this?

SonnyJurgensenPhoto.jpg

NIKE is responsible for one of the worst uniforms in the league....the Bronco uniform. I'm not looking forward to this partnership.

How radical can NIKE get? Aren't there standards they have to follow? It's going to look like a Rollerball film in the coming years. :doh:

Oh man, I didn't know Nike designed the Broncos unis. They are awful! Why they ever changed from the cool 70s/80s/early 90s look is beyond me.

Just found this article.....looks like they may be going back tot he "Orange Crush" jerseys in 2012. :thumbsup:

Remember when NFL defenses had snappy nicknames? The Cowboys had the Doomsday Defense. The Jets had the New York Sack Exchange. And the Broncos had the Orange Crush.

Of course, that last name had to be retired once the Broncos stopped wearing orange jerseys in 1997. But it could be making a comeback, at least judging by a small line buried deep in the middle of this article: "And the Broncos are planning to bring back the orange jerseys full time in 2012."

There's a certain irony to this, because 2012 is also when Nike will be taking over the NFL's uniform contract. And it was Nike that designed the Broncos' current uniform set -- including the navy home jersey that replaced the team's longstanding orange look -- in the first place. So after engineering Denver's color change over a decade ago, Nike will now be asked to change it back. Will they go with the Broncos' classic shade of orange, or will it be a new Nike-ized orange? That remains to be seen.

And as long as we're talking about the Broncos and Nike, consider this: When the Nike folks designed that 1997 Denver uni set, fans quickly noticed that they'd embedded a not-so-subtle calling card into the pants: giant swooshes that became visible whenever a player extended his leg forward. So when Reebok began making the Broncos' uniforms in 2001, they were put in the bizarre position of manufacturing a uni that featured a built-in ad for their biggest corporate rival (a situation that has now continued for a solid decade). It'll be interesting to see what Nike does with the swoosh stripes when they reclaim the Denver uniforms for 2012. But it seems like a safe bet that they won't be returning the favor by studding the design with built-in Reebok vectors.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=5959949

Edited by HogNose

What make's people think that Nike can just re design NFL uniforms? am I missing something? I believe the owners hold the rights for design changes. Nike can only change the material of the uniform. am I right or wrong?

I'm pretty sure teams would approve the jerseys. I agree, I don't think Nike can just come in and redo every team's jersey.

What make's people think that Nike can just re design NFL uniforms? am I missing something? I believe the owners hold the rights for design changes. Nike can only change the material of the uniform. am I right or wrong?

Yes the owners & NFL brass have to approve anything that NIKE wants to do or suggests. In the case of the Broncos uniform changes in '97 I believe NIKE was given complete control over the redesign which we don't want to see happen this time around. They even managed to incorporate the Nike swoosh into the leg which can be seen when the players leg is extended.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUINS64GL6E1WfbjZhmGH4kwy1j6pDGfCcMWtfqh9pPDoLuGF0p8xHE8ozxQ

Edited by HogNose

Totally understand your pain. I am lucky at my age to have enjoyed all the Super Bowl Champion seasons but this period of exile is very disheartening. I am not superstitious by any means but I know some folks attribute this horrific run to karma and the team name, I dismiss that and attribute it to a poorly run front office, but I think the ship is in the process of being righted and by the time you are blowing out the candles on your 30th, you will have some far better memories.

Yeah, I hope Nike doesn't go all Oregon Ducks style with the NFL. I don't mind a change, but my preference is more 60's throwback with a few modern touches. Like the picture I posted in post 4263. It's classic, simple and sharp.

Allegedly, the Seahawks will be the Ducks of the NFL. (In terms of crazy uniforms), and the Panthers will be getting a complete overhaul. I don't have any inside sources, but I've read what people who allegedly do, have put. Take all the uniform news with a grain of salt.

And yes, the team has final say in accepting a new look given to them by Nike.

EDIT! "@DarrenRovell on Twitter. "Hearing Nike won't make wholesale changes of NFL uniforms in 1st year of its deal next year. More about material, will make some team tweaks."

Looks like that stuff might come 2013 then.

Edited by skinsfan1993

The NFL isn't going to allow Nike to go all crazy on any team. The NFL is all about brand awareness and continuity. That's why (with the exception of a throwback alternate) teams can only wear one helmet design. The NFL also only allows uni changes once every 5 years.

My only hope for us is that we make the stripes on the gold pants consistent with the other pants. Maybe ditch the white pants all together? And please, NO BLACK JERSEY!!

I could not agree more! I think it is time to bring a fresh new start and changing the uniforms would be good idea. I watched Redskins Nation yesterday and a fan was talking about the team wearing all black uniforms and helment with burgandy and gold stripes. They also talked about the fans wearing all black. Maybe I am the only one but I think this would be fun for the team and fans. Fans need to stop talking about the Redskins history and focus on building something for the future and maybe the team could start winning again.

I think a "BLACKOUT" would show how dedicated the fanbase is in D.C. We still attend games despite losing, therefore we have never experienced a coverage blackout, so lets bring one to FEDEX!

HAIL!

I could not agree more! I think it is time to bring a fresh new start and changing the uniforms would be good idea. I watched Redskins Nation yesterday and a fan was talking about the team wearing all black uniforms and helment with burgandy and gold stripes. They also talked about the fans wearing all black. Maybe I am the only one but I think this would be fun for the team and fans. Fans need to stop talking about the Redskins history and focus on building something for the future and maybe the team could start winning again.

I think a "BLACKOUT" would show how dedicated the fanbase is in D.C. We still attend games despite losing, therefore we have never experienced a coverage blackout, so lets bring one to FEDEX!

HAIL!

the teams actually colors should never just be used as a highlight to some other color.

Black uniforms would be awful I think. I really hope the team doesn't ever, ever, ever ever ever try that.

The all burgundy was pretty bad too. I'm not a fan of "all" looks. Like when Denver wears all navy blue, or Seattle's unis, etc...The worst though are the Saints and Ravens when they wear all black. The lack of stripes on the pants, makes them look like a bunch of ballerinas prancing around in their leotards.

The white pants aren't horrible, but the team's colors are Burgundy and Gold, not Burgundy and White. I'd be for dropping the white pants all together as well. I think the gold look is far better, both for home jerseys, and away.

Edited by Diesel Hog

The all burgundy was pretty bad too. I'm not a fan of "all" looks. Like when Denver wears all navy blue, or Seattle's unis, etc...The worst though are the Saints and Ravens when they wear all black. The lack of stripes on the pants, makes them look like a bunch of ballerinas prancing around in their leotards.

That is exactly what my wife and I said last week. The Ravens & Saints look ridiculous in those black pants. All they need are some leg warmers and they would look like Jane Fonda in one of her old 80's videos.

The all one color uniform trend is something teams need to stop.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2012 at 08:59 AM ----------

This should be a perm throwback

Sleeve stripes, numbers without outlines.

I would love to see this as the permanent home uniform. I love the jersey numbers...everything looks clean and uncluttered and the Gulden mustard gold color is what I want to see again.

Edited by HogNose

That is exactly what my wife and I said last week. The Ravens & Saints look ridiculous in those black pants. All they need are some leg warmers and they would look like Jane Fonda in one of her old 80's videos.

The all one color uniform trend is something teams need to stop.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2012 at 08:59 AM ----------

I would love to see this as the permanent home uniform. I love the jersey numbers...everything looks clean and uncluttered and the Gulden mustard gold color is what I want to see again.

Haha, my wife said the same thing! I don't mind the "all" look for college teams (for the most part), nor do I mind all white on teams, but the all black/blue/burgundy/etc...all look pretty bad.

I'm mixed on the jerseys for the Redskins. With them wearing the gold pants again (which I really like), it doesn't quite mesh because the jerseys have two stripes on the sleeves, while the pants are triple striped. A minor tweak to the jerseys would go a long way. Nother drastic, maybe just add an additional stripe, or even just one stripe on the sleeve. So like a dark burgundy jersey, white numbers (no gold trim), and a single gold stripe on the sleeve. For the white jerseys, burgundy numbers (no trim), with a single burgundy stripe at the bottom of the sleeve.

Basically, I'd like to see one of these two be the main home jersey:

b1591__74667_zoom.jpg

or something like this but with a gold stripe at the bottom of the sleeve:

p6333511dt.jpg

Edited by Diesel Hog

I'm not against some minor uniform changes; however, I do not think they should mess with the logo on the helmet. To me, our logo is as identifiable as the interlocking NY for the Yankees or ND for Notre Dame or anyone else in sports. Even the Cowpukes are identified with the star on the helmet. I would not want to see them go back to the spears. I would like to see them go with the gold pants on a permanent basis. We are the Burgundy 'n Gold not the Burgundy 'n White, of course.