• Blog Entries

• By JimmiJo in ES Coverage

And we are back!

Hello boys and girls, welcome to another year of Washington Redskins football, home-team style.

My name is JimmiJo and I am joined by my shuttered compatriot, Spaceman Spiff. Together we bring you the sights and sounds of Redskins preseason football. Tonight represents the first home installment for Washington. I will be looking for fan enthusiasm, tho it is difficult to gauge interest-level from the preseason. These are the games that the season ticket holders give to their siblings and coworkers.

Tonight may be different as we expect Alex Smith to play. The pundits keep telling me he is Kirk Cousins only better. That will be awesome if so. 

We are quickly filling the list with season-ending injuries, with Washington losing three projected contributors in the first week of preseason. This wince-producing stat is made worse when we consider the projected contributions of Derrius Guice, now lost for the year.

All he was brought here to do was resurrect the Redskins' rushing game. 

This for me is the biggest area of concern for me. The running game has got to get better for this team to have any reason success this year.

Stand by for Inactives...

An hour later I remember they don't do inactives in the preseason. Hey, it's preseason for us too!

Not much to report. Very sparse crowd so far. But given it is a work-night and rush hour is just wrapping up on the beltway I am not surprised we are not overflowing with people yet.

The Redskins appear to be wearing burgundy tops and mustard bottoms, for those keeping score at home. The Jets meanwhile, are sporting white tops and green bottoms.

So far just the kickers and long snappers are warming up from both teams. 

The hot, sunny day is giving way to a warm, breezy evening. Should be fairly pleasant viewing conditions for those coming out.

Kickoff

It is about that time. Follow along in-game on Twitter @Skinscast

Half

Alex Smith looked sharp, going 4-6 for 48-yards and a 91 passer-rating. 

But that's not the story of this game.

The story is the injuries that continue to mount to running backs. Samaje Perine had an impressive 30-yard run. Then limped off to be evaluated for an ankle sprain. Next was Byron Marshall.  A lower leg injury they say.

The Redskins are suffering the worst run of injuries this early maybe ever. 

JimmiJo

I am not sure how much we learned tonight. I take that back.

Kevin Hogan, whom I had taken to calling ‘Nogan,’ somehow produced a lovely comeback victory with no time to spare. Way to send them home happy.

Beyond the excitement at the end I am not sure we learned much.

Alex Smith is exactly who we thought he was. Smith went 4-for-6 for 48-yards and a passer rating of 91. There was some excitement on his first call from scrimmage, when Smith play actioned the handoff and kept the ball on a bootleg, he turned to setup to hit Paul Richardson and instead received a face-full of Jets’ linebacker Jordan Jenkins. Smith completed the pass to Richardson and Jenkins was handed a 15- roughing call.

The offense are exactly who we thought they are. Feckless in the redzone; unable to produce anything but field goals. Even when the stars did align, with Colt McCoy connecting Cam Sims, area spectacular touchdown catch; cruel fate intervened with a chickenscratch procedure call.

The injuries are exactly what we feared they could be. Why is it every running back who goes for 30-yards on a single play comes up limping? Samaje Perine ran for 30-yards on his one carry on the night.

The next time he was seen was on the way to the locker room to have an ankle looked at.

Then there was Byron Marshall. He barely got into the game before coming out with a leg injury.

After the first few drives Washington did very little offensively until they had to at the very end.

And as little as this preseason game meant, it was nice to see the valiant stop at the goal line. It was even nicer to see Mr. Hogan lead the team down the field and to victory.

Oh yea, we learned one more thing - Dustin Hopkins can kick field goals.

Hail!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Donita35

Going to the Eagles Game

It's not too late to score tix. Get them today, have them overnighted for Saturday. :eaglesuck

And by the way, in case we get Hail to the Redskins going in the stadium, let's make sure we know the lyrics. I know some people are fuzzy about the middle part. Let's be LOUD!

Hail to the Redskins!

Hail Victory!

Braves on the Warpath!

Fight for old D.C.!

Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!

Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,

Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!

Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won

Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Hail to the Redskins!

Hail Victory!

Braves on the Warpath!

Fight for old D.C.!

I live in b.more and have two tickets, but am kinda freaked out about being in philly wearing my skins gear. Which Maryland house are you all meeting at?

Don't be scared man. I'm going and I'm rocking my Portis jersey.

I'm 16 years old and I'm not scared, Eagles fans are gonna have to deal with it. :eaglesuck

Here's some info re the Linc which is different than FedEx:

Bag Search

Lincoln Financial Field prohibits bags larger than 12" x 12" x 12 from being brought into the stadium. All bags are subject to search upon entry and are subject to additional searches within the stadium. This policy is in effect for all Guests who visit Lincoln Financial Field. (No bags are allowed in FedEx, regardless of the size, except small purses)

Parking

Parking areas are generally open five (5) hours prior to kickoff. Due to limited space, reserved parking is available for Club Suite and Club Seatholders only. Please refer to the parking map for more detailed information regarding public and private parking at Lincoln Financial Field and the surrounding area. Or, visit LincolnFinancialField.com for the latest updates. (FedExField opens lots 4 hours prior)

Food

Carrying food into the stadium is allowed, provided it is wrapped in clear plastic. Soft sided coolers can be carried in too. Glass and plastic bottles and containers are not allowed. (FedExField does not allow food or beverages carried into the stadium).

Police Room

The Police Room is located on the Service Level near the loading dock on the East side of the stadium. Any Guest inquiring about someone who has been removed from the seating bowl by police should be referred to Guest Services Centers located in Sections 121, 136, 206 and 226. (FedExField does not have a jail)

Beer

Beer sales will terminate, on the 100 and 200 levels, at the beginning of the third quarter. (FedExField terminates beer sales at the beginning of the 4th quarter)

http://www.lincolnfinancialfield.com/guest/a-z.jsp

URGENT INFO - PLEASE READ

*** CHANGE OF PLANS ***

I just called the Philadelphia Eagles at 215 463 2500.

I asked for directions to lot U, and asked if alcohol was allowed. The woman who answered said there is NO TAILGATING ALLOWED in Lot U !!!

She recommends we should park at the Wachovia lot which is close to the stadium. She says the Wachovia lots are marked Lots A through Lots H. She says we should take I-95, exit onto Broad St., then turn right onto Pattison St, and then enter the Wachovia Lots. She said Wachovia lots are cash lots, and allow tailgating and allow alcohol. She said the lots will open at 7 AM!!! She said the parade will not interfere with game traffic, because even though the Parade will be on Broad St., the parade does not come close to the stadium.

So the caravan will be re-routed to the Wachovia Lots. [EDIT]: We are tentatively planning on Lot D. I will PM Halter91 and a few other people.

It is more important than ever to get there early since these lots are close to the stadium, are cash lots, they allow tailgating, and will therefore be the first to fill up.

If you can't join the Caravan but you want to join the REDSKINS tailgate, please PM me and I'll give you my cell which you can call Sunday. I strongly advise you to ARRIVE EARLY because once our lot fills up, you will not be able to join us unless you walk in on foot. I will have a 20 foot flagpole at our tailgate flying the American flag and a Redskins flag.

Thanks for the update and the info Mark. I will still be at the Maryland house to follow the calvery. I will pass this info along as well.

you guys might want to try to be at the Stadium by 11. Just a thought. I look forward to meeting many of you guys and gals!!

Please be gentle to my GF, she's an Iggles fan.

Thanks for that pertinent info. I will also be at the Md. House to follow the calvary.

Glad to see that you have decided to join us Sherm. ;)

you guys might want to try to be at the Stadium by 11. Just a thought. I look forward to meeting many of you guys and gals!!

We will have a little mercy on her, at least until the game is over. :silly:

If we leave the rest stop at 11, I bet we see you by 11:45 or so. Maybe sooner. Please pick a good spot and give us room to park. You have my cell right? Or I'll call you. THANKS

Sounds like you guys have a good plan worked out.:)

The Wachovia lots are right next to the Linc lots, so you won't have a really far walk from them.

Parking for Philly sports is a hell of a lot easier than for Redskins. I went to the Raiders-Redskins game this year and didn't have a parking pass, so it was like getting a tour of Landover trying to find parking. Then we had to walk really far to get to the stadium. Where the Philly sports arenas are, it's all parking lots and warehouses. Just drive along any of the streets and there are people waving you in to lots.

There's a group of us that have chartered a bus to head up to Philly Sunday AM from NOVA. The bus holds up to 25 people and we're only 1/2 full so we definitely have room for more. It's coming back after the game to the same location. If there's a few people in MD, it probably wouldn't be a big problem to make a stop right off of the beltway or 95 but if you're in VA we're meeting right off the beltway in Springfield.

PM me if anyone needs/wants a ride. We're planning to park in the lots near the Wachovia Center. The plan is to meet up with the bus in Springfield at 9:00 or 9:30 AM.

:eaglesuck

There's a group of us that have chartered a bus to head up to Philly Sunday AM from NOVA. The bus holds up to 25 people and we're only 1/2 full so we definitely have room for more. It's coming back after the game to the same location. If there's a few people in MD, it probably wouldn't be a big problem to make a stop right off of the beltway or 95 but if you're in VA we're meeting right off the beltway in Springfield.

PM me if anyone needs/wants a ride. We're planning to park in the lots near the Wachovia Center. The plan is to meet up with the bus in Springfield at 9:00 or 9:30 AM.

:eaglesuck

Cool! Look for a 20 ft flag pole flying an American flag and a Redskins flag right underneath -- hopefully we'll be in Lot D.

Spiff,

I believe that it does have roy rogers. They gouge you though. It is like stadium pricing in there.

Roy Rogers or Popeye's...I always try to hit the one with Popeye's... The price is ridiculous though, nothing like a $15 fast food fried chicken meal. :rolleyes:

Good luck to all you guys going to the game, wish I could be there! Cheer LOUD! GO SKINS

U lot? D lot? screw it, I am going to just freelance like Lavar. If you see #21 with burgundy duct tape covering up Smoot's name wandering around south Philly, its me.