Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Patten

Dheavy

:doh:

Don't give me that self righteous :doh: crap. The guy had 22 catches in 9 games. Taylor Jacobs has 11 and has played less than half the snaps of Patten. Patten is going to be 32 by the start of next season. He has never even sniffed 1000 yards recieving in his career and he is coming off a knee surgery. Yeah lets keep this guy and over pay him.

Not to mention that he questioned the play calling earlier in the season. The problem with a lot of you here is that you know nothing of the NFL picture as a whole. If David Patten was sooo special then he would have been in New England.

If you took the time to look at some of my other post you would see that I never bash a redskins player. I simply call them as I see them. Patten has never been a #2 reciever in this league so why should he be ours? As far as being a #3 receiver, he isn't as good as James Thrash. We have to go after a reciever in the draft or through free agency. Patten is a bust. Everyone is quick to call Jacobs a bust but he never claimed he was great. Patten acted like he could do something.

Don't give me that self righteous :doh: crap. The guy had 22 catches in 9 games. Taylor Jacobs has 11 and has played less than half the snaps of Patten. Patten is going to be 32 by the start of next season. He has never even sniffed 1000 yards recieving in his career and he is coming off a knee surgery. Yeah lets keep this guy and over pay him.

Not to mention that he questioned the play calling earlier in the season. The problem with a lot of you here is that you know nothing of the NFL picture as a whole. If David Patten was sooo special then he would have been in New England.

If you took the time to look at some of my other post you would see that I never bash a redskins player. I simply call them as I see them. Patten has never been a #2 reciever in this league so why should he be ours? As far as being a #3 receiver, he isn't as good as James Thrash. We have to go after a reciever in the draft or through free agency. Patten is a bust. Everyone is quick to call Jacobs a bust but he never claimed he was great. Patten acted like he could do something.

Patten is not a #2 wideout, but he has had multiple seasons of 800 and 900 yards. He is not a primary guy at this point in his career. However he is better than Jacobs and Thrash. Patten will be a great weapon once we get a real #2 guy.

Patten is not a #2 wideout, but he has had multiple seasons of 800 and 900 yards. He is not a primary guy at this point in his career. However he is better than Jacobs and Thrash. Patten will be a great weapon once we get a real #2 guy.

Patten has never had 900 yards recieving. He has only gone over 800 once. He will be 32 years old next year. This team doesn't need a #3 reciever, how often do we go to a three reciever set? People love the idea of David Patten. How about the idea that he makes about 3 mil a year. People want to talk about Lavar being over paid. Lavar has made pro bowls, Lavar has lead the team in tackles previously. We can keep a taller, faster, younger Taylor Jacobs for less money. Why would it make any sense to keep David Patten. We didn't bring him here to be a #2 so if he can't be a number two why pay him like an overpaid #2 reciever?

So what if Taylor Jacobs hasn't proven much. If we are talking strictly number 3 recievers why would you take an old Patten over a young Jacobs. If Jacobs is not to your liking, how about James Thrash who is two inches taller, two years younger and is a good special teams player. Roster spots are so key, Reciever is a spot that often sees players getting cut. If you don't like thrash, how about Antonio Brown? Younger, faster and raw. All of these guys could be had for 1/10 of what David Patten will cost us next year.

:2cents:

Patten has never had 900 yards recieving. He has only gone over 800 once. He will be 32 years old next year. This team doesn't need a #3 reciever, how often do we go to a three reciever set? People love the idea of David Patten. How about the idea that he makes about 3 mil a year. People want to talk about Lavar being over paid. Lavar has made pro bowls, Lavar has lead the team in tackles previously. We can keep a taller, faster, younger Taylor Jacobs for less money. Why would it make any sense to keep David Patten. We didn't bring him here to be a #2 so if he can't be a number two why pay him like an overpaid #2 reciever?

So what if Taylor Jacobs hasn't proven much. If we are talking strictly number 3 recievers why would you take an old Patten over a young Jacobs. If Jacobs is not to your liking, how about James Thrash who is two inches taller, two years younger and is a good special teams player. Roster spots are so key, Reciever is a spot that often sees players getting cut. If you don't like thrash, how about Antonio Brown? Younger, faster and raw. All of these guys could be had for 1/10 of what David Patten will cost us next year.

Ok, so Patten has had years of 800, 849, and 749, all good years for a #2. Patten has more left in the tank than Thrash, regardless of age. Jacobs doesn't even have 100 yards recieving in his 6 starts combined. If we cut Patten we get no savings because of his bonus that has yet to be paid. Patten will be on this team next year. Yes, roster spots are very important, I think that the odd man out is Jacobs. :2cents:

Don't give me that self righteous :doh: crap.
Atcually, that was the "doh" or "gee, this guy is simplistic/stupid" icon. We don't have an "I'm self-rightteous" icon yet, but based on your reaction, maybe a pic of you would be good. :D

Now that we're pals, I'm no big Patten booster prior to his arrival, and didn't throw a poarty when we took him, but your post on him doesn't bear any closer scrutiny than the one that got you the :doh: .

Patten was respected but cut from a team that had enough talent and enough picks that it made sense. Lots of good players get cut from good teams that have the luxury of replacing them with other younger, good players they have waiting, and/or when they have a healthy slug of draft picks. I watched Patten on film after we got him and in games for NE, and he seemed very competent and steady, but not spectacular. He was quick and precise, though. Patten was also playing in an offense wear few people get "big" numbers other than SB rings, including the QB, because of the offensive style they play.

He was regarded as a skilled and hard-working player who had never been a #1, but had realistic potential as a #2 on a team where the WR position wasn't deep in proven talent. Like ours :) .

Addtionally, here his fellow players and coaching staff have been solid in praising him, wanting him here, and standing behind him as they have other players who have drawn unreasonably strong attacks from fans. Attacks usually refelcting a lack of understanding, or rejection of importance, of all the factors that are in play. In this case, regarding Patten and numbers, those limiting factors would include the play-calling, stability of the running game, consistenly good pass-blocking, etc. as evidenced by general observation and extensively acknowledged analysis. Even Moss has bogged down when our O isn't clicking and the defense can focus on him.

The ball, when our O is working well as it is now, will go to CP, Cooley, & Moss. Then we have Sellers & TE's too, so we have yet to find out where and in what ways we will fit in a #2, period. Another factor indicating there's more to the story is Thrash. He is a proven, reliable #3 or clutch guy and we haven't had him in the mix either, despite Gibbs saying "I don't know why we haven't". All the above is just part of why leaping all over Patten based on his time here to date as evidence that he's no a "real" # 2 for us is "doh"-worthy, especially in the manner you've employed. :) .

Patten may turn out to not work for us, I have no real emotional investment, though he seems like a good guy other than one behavioral hiccup he seemed to have right before his injury. My bet is, unless we cut him as un-needed based on another affordable player Gibbs is sure will do better (say a Come To Life Jacobs), I expect him to play fine for us in his role. But either way, at this point, he sure isn't deserving of some of the crap being flung his way.

Thanks Jumbo for explaining my position while I was either too busy or not paying enough attention to notice the responses. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with regard to what I meant by responding with the "doh" smiley.

To your comments I would only add that cutting Patten at a point when he's probably still getting acclimated to our offense would be rash and silly. He's not breaking the bank and has probably got another couple or three years left in the tank regardless of the injury.

Patten has taken his last snap as a Redskin. A mediocre reciever coming off knee surgery. We don't need that. If we can save some cap money I say we cut him June 1.

Im sure Paten will be back his worth as e veteren reciever is valuable. From reports i heard he is the one that convinced the coaching staff to go long to mos in the first Dallas game. Plus if i remeber correctly he suffered his injury initially in the preseason and tried to play through the pain as long as posible he will be back as a valkuable option next season fully healthy.

it was beacuase of his veteren leadership which was praised in new england. I think the skins could go to a a 3 wide set like they did in 89 but who knows?

Archived