I am not exactly defending Allen and the FO, they carry plenty of blame for this average team. But lets be realistic here.. X+Y does not always equal 2
In 2017 the dline and the rest of the team had an unprecedented amount of injuries which is the main reason why our run D sucked... NOT because Baker left. Dont make the mistake of equating Baker to the reason we were ranked 22 - 2016 vs 32- 2017 in run D... not to mention that Tampa run D was as bad as Skins run D which shows that your theory carries 0 water.
McGee was actually OK in spots..probably earned his contract. McClain sucked but again.. it wasn't a large investment and will most likely get cut after the draft.
Agree that there is a need for a true nose.. but not all that on board for bringing in a 10mil per year 2 down player. There is a reason why no other team signed him yet, he is not worth the contract he is seeking, plus there is got to be something to the point that he got cut 1 year in to a 3 year contract, after earning most of the guarantees in year one. I dont exactly believe the "he didn't fit our scheme excuse".
This forum cracks me up... During the Vinny years, everyone b!tched and moaned about the fact that every player with a name would be brought in just to get paid and underperform.
The last few years, people b!tch about the fact that Skins are not active in FA, when in reality.. very few of the shopping sprees other teams go through work out for them in the long run and seem to not understand that the few truly marquee players that end up playing up to their contracts(C.Campbell) might not have wanted to sign with the skins even is skins offered the most money.
I am actually on board with the FA strategy this year:
1. Identify your must have players that cover biggest needs and do what it takes to get them, within reason without significantly overpaying. (A. Smith, Richardson) The FA class this year has been underwhelming. I am not upset at not getting any of the other players.
2. Bring in role players on the cheap that can help in rotational duties with potential to blow up.
3. develop your own draft and give them every opportunity to start.
4. Let your average to good players leave if there is ediqute replacement in place and get comp picks in return.
5. Leave enough cap to resign your elite players in the coming year (Sherff, crowder, smith)
6. Leave enough cap space available in case an elite talent FA becomes available late to make a run at (Norman)