A few thoughts from yesterday big win.
1. Defense = PYTHON LEVEL.
You ever watch a python kill something? It's slow, it's inevitable. The thing it has hold of might kick a little, it might squirm a little, but overall it is slowly and surely squeezed until it doesn't move at all.
This is the Redskins defense.
Right now they are #2 in rushing defense behind the Saints. They are truly #1. the Saints opponents are throwing a lot to stay in the game, the Redskins are not blowing out anyone, no one is abandoning their run game to shoot it out with the Redskins offense.
The rushers they have faced are among the best in the league. Barkley, Elliott, McCaffrey/Cam have rushed for less than 100 yards combined against us right n a row. (Kamara also went nowhere, but the Saints weren't trying to run anyway.)
I am officially throwing "PYTHON" out there as the nickname of our defense.
2. AP ran for 150 yards and the team as a whole rushed for 180 yards.
THIS IS OFFENSE, folks. Everyone is so enamored with the pass, all concerned about not getting downfield.
It doesn't matter when you have a defense that is this good and a running game that is this good.
The offense DEFINITELY can be much better, and there are problems to iron out. BUT, when you can run the ball like this and clamp down on opponents like we do, this is winning soundly.
I see the usual doom and gloom this morning.. we better pass when we do this! or that!.. well, so far we've run through almost half the schedule and are 3 games over .500.
So, while people worry about what will happen if we face this team or that team, next week we face the Falcons, and that is all that matters.
AND, for that we better pass effectively. Atlanta has too many weapons to expect we can hold them to 17.
But so far, build wins. Win the division, get to the postseason. And right now, that is a realistic goal.
3. Alex Smith has a new nickname from me.
Jason Campbell Lite. Dicky Double Clutch.
Here's me during a Campbell play:
I sound the same during a Smith play, although shorter. He doesn't hold it as long but damn, he double clutches like nobody i've seen since Jason. THROW IT.
Why is he not throwing on that first motion? They aren't pump fakes, they are a lack of confidence in what he sees.
It's good he's not turning the ball over, but we're also not getting much YAC.
4. Smith still... seems slower even when scrambling.. seems to have a hard time deciding it is time to run or time to stand in. He did stay in the pocket more yesterday, but when things broke down a little, he seemed to me to not have any feel of where to go to buy himself some time.. because it's there. he is getting good protection. Yesterday he was better than against Dallas, but still not good pocket awareness or confidence.
5. Josh Doctson grows some more, had what i thought might have been his best game as a pro. Tough plays, hard routes, good hands. didn't drop anything and for the first time i can recall, he got some YAC on a play. His blocking was superb.
Liking what I am seeing as Doctson goes along.
6. Tight Ends.. is it me or does Reed seem to be playing it a little lazy? Probably not, maybe he just started off a little slow yesterday, he wasn't loafing.. but it didn't look like his best effort.
i love how he turns the ball up at the sticks to fight for that first down, but he also tends to do that spin-back when he's on a dead run heading into the flat.. he loses his momentum. he had one in the first half yesterday,, maybe his 3rd catch.. he caught it on a short wheel and turned that spin instead of continuing on.. probably could have had 3 or 4 more yards than he got. (This is a nit-picky point.)
Davis with another terrible blocking error.. this one a penalty on a little bubble screen to Mo Harris that took away a first down early in the game. he's straight up a liability unless he's catching the ball.
7. Defensive line,, holy smokes. MOST of you, this is the best Redskins DL you have ever seen. By FAR. This is rivaling the 80s teams, and that is no hyperbole. The defensive line IS the identity of the team. Allen and Payne are everything as advertised. They are worth every bit of the first round picks we used on them. 100% home run.
Ionnidas;; holy smokes, this guy is KILLING it. leads the team in sacks, plugs up the middle completely. He is HUGE and playing bigger. Almost unblockable, he just shoves his way into the backfield like a grizzly bear in a powder room.
8. Mason Foster had a great day.. great instincts, flashing into gaps. he still suffers slightly in pass D.. not the fastest guy, but a damn good LB playing the run. Not bad at all for an off-the-street emergency signing. BIG fan of his and getting bigger.
9. DJ Swearinger is playing GREAT.. i'm hearing "All Pro" mentioned.. maybe. That sure would be nice. Regardless, Bruce or Doug better be on the phone with his agent locking him up. He is what we've been looking for since Sean. He has stabilized the secondary. He is a ballhawk that we have not had. He has the attitude we have not had. He is SMART, tackles well, plays as well at the line of scrimmage as he does deep.
10. Greg Stroman,, they identified him early and went at him a lot.. then in the second half, he got a hold on things. The scheme changed a bit to give him a little help and gave him some space to work with, and his play picked up considerably. I'd give him a very good day especially given the level of WR competition.
11. 5-2. Game and a half lead in the division. It's laid out there for us. Control is nice.