Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Suggestions, Opinions and/or Advice

redskns21

I know that there is a large contingent of DC, Virginia and Maryland residents on these boards. I have family living in Maryland and Reston, Virginia. My wife and I have talked about moving and we are currently looking at So Cal and over in your area. I am familiar with So Cal as I go there every year but I haven't been out east since I was 15. I really loved the area and the job market looks decent there but I really don't know.

My questions for you all are as follows...

1. How is the tech job market over there? I am a networking guy with no real programming experience. I am OK with security but that is not my primary area of knowledge.

2. How is the cost of living?

3. Where is the best area to live with a family? We have a 3 year old daughter and my wife and I are under 30.

4. If you had it to do over again, would you still live where you do.

5. Any other questions or comments are welcome. Even if you want to call me a stupid a$$ for even thinking about it.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Since no one is responding....

1) sorry no help at all.

2) cost of living around DC is fairly high. But the techie jobs generally pay well. Reston has some tech companies in the area. (AOL is in both reston and Manassas). Buncha others.

It generally depends on how close to DC you want to live. the closer in, the higher the housing costs. for example some townhouses in my development in Manassas (20 miles from DC) were selling in the 190,000's to 200,000 last time I saw one sell this summer. Inside the beltway, I'd estimate you could add another 75 grand for something similar.

A friend has a stinking tiny condo (about 800 to 1000 sq ft.) in Reston that he paid 90K or so for, eight, nine years ago. It'd be MUCH more now..... (we told him he was a fool) He and his wife bought a house (after getting married) a mile or so from me and rent the condo out for around 1200 a month.

3) that depend on your tastes and desire. And your work. You'd be best to try and be near work to avoid traffic and commuting issues. If you don't mind commuting, you have a wide range or areas. Leesburg, Sterling, Ashburn; all near redskins park. Prince william (Manassas, woodbridge) all of Fairfax county, Falls church, Arlington, Alexandira, and the Maryland stuff.

4) Yea I think so. I can go less than a mile from my house and shop at 5 different supermarkets (5 different companies). or hit multiple mexican restaurants, steak joints, chinese, fast food, italian, subs, you name it. The theater is less than a mile and a half. There's shopping galore if/when I need to shop for something. Book stores, home depot, Lowes, Best Buy circuit city, cloths, you name it. all within a mile or mile and a half.

5). 5) With the kid, checking out schools and school systems would likely be something you'd want to do as well.

You could always come in, rent for a year or so, and get familiar with the area to find the locality you want. and talk with your family if they know the areas as well. (duh. you probably already have)

1. Not really sure how good/bad the tech market is, sorry about that.

2. Cost of living is kind of high but my salary went up enough to cover that when I moved from Atlanta to here.

3. I live in Falls Church and really like it. I'm glad to be able to raise my son here. Some of the schools around here are ranked very high in the country.

4. Definitely. I live in a very safe neighborhood. The schools are good. Everything I need is within a few minute drive. The Wizards and Caps suck but you learn to live with that.

Yearly average snowfall in DC: 15 inches.

Yearly average snowfall in Atlanta: 1 inch.

Guess where I'd rather live.

My Mother lives in SoCal, so I am back and fourth a lot. That being said, the Tech market is better in the DC area, though not bad in SoCal. Cost of living is a little higher here in general, but housing is about even… especially if you get something with a view in SoCal.

If you were to move here, I would select someplace in Northern Virginia (Reston, Chantilly, Alexandria, McLean, etc…). Your selection would depend on what kind of amenities you wanted to be close to, and the type of neighborhood and school system you prefer (Fairfax County is one of the best).

If I had it to do over again, I would have moved in with my mother after I got out of College, but I couldn’t find a job out there… and most of my friends were still in the DC area. You can’t beat SoCal for the weather, view, beach, etc. But that is my personal preference. In the DC area, there is a lot more to do at a relatively cheaper cost.

It would all depend on what you wanted… me, I like warm weather and being near the water.

Archived