Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Orioles 2013 Thread

TD_washingtonredskins

Some food for thought to kick things off. Coming off of a 93-win season, a win in the wild card playoff game, and taking the Yankees to game 5 of the ALDS, Vegas has the over/under for O's wins set at 76.5 and they have the longest odds (+850) to win the AL East.

http://www.pinnaclesports.com/ContestCategory/MLB+Futures/Lines.aspx

Thoughts? Reactions to Spring Training news? We can just keep this thread going all spring, summer, and (hopefully) fall!

I'm more worried about the Blue Jays and Rays more than the Yankees and Red Sox. I was kinda surprised that Joe Saunders isn't returning. That creates an opportunity for a guy like Jurrgens to revive his career as a end of the rotation starter, or maybe one of the young arms (Gausman/Bundy) step up and take that role out of ST.

I expect BIG things from Chris Davis this year...and also, how fun is Manny machado going to be to watch after getting his feet wet with his late year call up last season? Dude is primed to be one of the best players in the AL in a short time.

Nothing better than baseball being relevant in Baltimore. It's been a long time coming and I hope that the O's can build off of last year. Even though they came up short, it was one of my most memorable/favorite seasons as a fan of ANY sport that I follow.

LET'S GET IT!!!

I really have no idea how we'll finish this year. I could see us repeating our success from last year or failing miserably. I think we'll be somewhere in the middle. I could see us winning 80-85 games this year. I think alot will depend on if Markakis and Reimold can stay healthy. And if Machado and Davis can build on their years last year. Our pitching is nothing spectacular, but we do have a good amount of solid pitching. I don't see us as the worst team in the division, I think that's going to end up being Boston.

Looking forward to some baseball! I don't know if the O's can repeat the magic they had last year, they pulled out some really crazy games. But I think our offense will be good again this year, just comes down to our pitching once again. But like I said I'm ready for some baseball....Lets Go O's!!!!

I have no idea. We could be really good if things go our way, or we could be a few under .500. I guess we'll just have to see.

While there aren't many things that our boys do that jump off the page, the lineup will be solid, the rotation may not be full or stars, but it's deep and our pen will do their part.

Hopefully we're in the mix for the whole 162 and beyond.

I'm very excited given last year's success, but certainly don't expect 93 wins again. I am hoping we win 80+ games and think that would actually legitimize last year's run. Two straight seasons of .500 or better baseball would start to show a pattern to me. We absolutely got some breaks last year that we can't really count on to continue. It's fun to discuss how we can live UP to last year's success though!

I'm very excited given last year's success, but certainly don't expect 93 wins again. I am hoping we win 80+ games and think that would actually legitimize last year's run. Two straight seasons of .500 or better baseball would start to show a pattern to me. We absolutely got some breaks last year that we can't really count on to continue. It's fun to discuss how we can live UP to last year's success though!

I'm in the same boat. I think it's very unlikely we'll get the same kind of performance from our bullpen again, but if some of the young guys take their games to the next level we could be right back in 90+ win territory.

From a Nats fan who doesn't follow the O's much, are you expecting Bundy to start in the majors, or are they going to put him in the minors until June so they can keep him under control for an extra year? I'm curious to see what Balti-Strasburg is capable of.

Oh, and not trying to be mean or start anything, but I don't expect Baltimore to repeat last year. Your record in 1 run games and extra innings was astonishing and probably not sustainable. You had a couple of guys who I think will regress somewhat, Jason Hammel immediately springs to mind, and I question whether Adam Jones season was just a peak of everything coming together, or whether he truly has taken the next step. Don't get me wrong, I like Jones and think he's a great player, but I always thought of him as a decent bat with some power, and great defense. I didn't foresee him outhitting his career batting average by 10-15 points and cracking 32 bombs, or exceed his previous best OPS by nearly 50 points, so I do wonder if he's going to do it again.

I kind of hope Baltimore does pull it off. Not because I like Baltimore, I've made it pretty clear in the past that I do not, but I do enjoy it when our fanbases are able to go at each other.

I expect most outlets to have the O's finishing 4th or 5th in their, "expert," predictions. It's gonna be a tough division. Any team winning it wouldn't surprise me.

SportsCenter had a feature on the AL East a couple of days ago. Zero mention of the Orioles. Talked about how the Jays were the favorite and the Rays, Yanks, and Red Sox could also be in the mix. Forget about the team that won 93 games last year and came within the last couple of games of winning the division, they won't do anything this year. :doh:

SportsCenter had a feature on the AL East a couple of days ago. Zero mention of the Orioles. Talked about how the Jays were the favorite and the Rays, Yanks, and Red Sox could also be in the mix. Forget about the team that won 93 games last year and came within the last couple of games of winning the division, they won't do anything this year. :doh:

Dude, I saw that and got kinda pissed. They had a picture of the Red Sox, Yanks, and Rays, then panned to a Blue Jays picture. I just laughed a flipped to another channel.

Actually I was suggesting anyone but me, since I can't keep up with it.:pfft::ols:

I'm completely kidding...luckily it just requires the occasional title change to keep up with current story lines. For example:

April: "It's Opening Day!"

May: "Wow, 9 games up in the East Already"

June: "Will Anyone Get Machado Out?"

July: "Bundy is Up and Dominating"

August: "Figuring Out our Magic Number"

September: "O's Clinch the East and Best Record in Baseball"

October: "Playoff & WS Run!"

November: "O's win it All...Skins still Undefeated"

I'm completely kidding...luckily it just requires the occasional title change to keep up with current story lines. For example:

I like it!

Sounds better than last year...

May: "Meh."

June: "This team isn't for real."

July: "This team can't be for real"

August: "This team can't be for real"

September: "This team can't be for real"

October: "IT'S REAL"

Total number or starts in 2012 from Matusz, Arreita, Hunter, Eveland, Britton, and Wolf? 69.

69 starts from pitchers that were meh-to-terrible in 12.

I doubt we'll have that again in '13. Maybe the pen regresses a bit, and maybe our boys don't dominate in 1 run and xras. But if healthy, Tillman gets more that 15 starts, Hammel more than 20, Gonzo more than 15.

I say we're already better off than we were at this point last year. I mean hey, no Wilson Betemit starting at 3rd. :)

I wouldn't go so far as to say all the 1 run/extra inning games last year were luck. They were very gritty. fantastic bullpen kept them in a lot of games. Once they got a full year under Adair as pitching coach, things really started coming together. This is a team that really lacked any kind of constants in the previous decade. Having all the same pieces in place will help them a lot. I'm not going to suggest they'll do as well as last year, but i don't see us 4th or 5th in the ALE.

Archived