Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snow thrower/blower

Elessar78

I have a pretty long crushed rock driveway. I read online says that for gravel or crushed rock driveways that two-stage blowers are the way to go because the auger doesn't contact the ground so doesn't pick up rocks and throw them.

The throwing of the rocks is the biggest issue but i don't really have neighbors within 50 yards (up hill) of my driveway.

Any body have experience with these machines?

Cost is an issue at this point, as a single stage can be had for sub $200 whereas two-stagers are going for around $500 (and 2x to 4x as much).

I'm not familiar with snow blowers, but as a general rule, never skimp on price when it comes to power equipment. Buy the best one you can afford. It will last a lot longer, but most importantly, will perform better

2 years from now when you are trying to start the dam thing in a blizzard you won't remember that you saved $100 when you bought it

I have a beast of a snow blower, I forget the horsepower. I wouldn't want to use it on a crushed gravel driveway. Depending on how soft the ground is I would foresee the bucket digging into the drive. Throwing a rock out of that could be dangerous to anything near including your house, car.

If its a band snowblower get a couple extra bands:

i had an 18in during the snowpacolypse and it broke (using Advanced Auto parts that 'kinda' matched the size is frustrating when they fling off 3-4 times an hour).

Your issue reminds me of the Mayhem commericial (Gravel lawn cutting : Overall reign of destruction). Wear lots of layers and a full face helmet the first time....

Archived