Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KK Writes| Mike Wise Asks RG3 About the Name "Redskins"

kevinklein

Most of you are tuned into this already, but today UnWise Mike from The Washington Post asked RG3 about the racial implications of the name Redskins. It was completely out of left field, irrelevant to the flow of the presser, and obviously a loaded question, which Robert thankfully shirked aside. I wrote a bit about it, and I hope you'll read.

__

by Kevin Klein

UnWise Mike is a sports journalist for The Washington Post. A sports journalist who I have never been able to get a proper read on.

Last year, after making a once-in-a-blue-moon appearance at a Washington Capitals game, Mike wrote a piece about the team that I fervently disagreed with. I felt it to be shallow, and obviously written from the perspective of an under informed journalist who had a deadline to meet, and was covering the team simply because they were the only thing on the journalistic menu that night. No passion, no vigor. Just flat words, designed for controversy.

Mike had the good grace to defend his article to me via Twitter, which I appreciated, regardless of our differing views. In the weeks that followed, he wrote several pieces that resonated soundly with me. They were full of wonderful, emotional writing, with compelling perspectives and sound research. Granted, none of this writing was about the Caps, but still it cemented my respect.

Then today happened.

After Wednesday practice at Redskins Park, Robert Griffin III took the podium for his weekly press conference. But this time around, the anticipation was greater than usual. After all, the star quarterback missed last week with an injury. The team has fought its way to the division lead and holds the inside lane to the playoffs. Most expect Griffin to take the field this weekend against the Eagles, but the Redskins have remained competitively coy regarding their quarterback’s knee.

Wednesday marked the first time Griffin spoke to the media since the Redskins’ victory over Cleveland three days ago. The press conference was a light-hearted one, as Griffin fielded questions about his knee, and though his answers were thinly veiled— not revealing details— it quickly became apparent that he expected to be back under center for this Sunday’s game against Philadelphia. Reporters asked about Griffin’s playoff optimism. They asked after the team’s 3-6 start, and Griffin’s thought process as a captain as his team faced that adversity. They asked about fellow rookie Kirk Cousin’s performance against the Browns, and they asked about his silly haircut (which Cousins himself addressed during a presser of his own).

That’s when Wise decided to pipe up, affecting the lofty mood of the media room with jaw-clenching awkwardness like a process server showing up at the door with a subpoena.

“You had to, um, unfairly negotiate some racial, um, barrier landmines lately,” Wise led into his question. “Have you thought about, um, what it’s like to play for a team named the Redskins, since many American Indians believe the term to be derogatory?”

Wise was referring to now-suspended ESPN anchor Rob Parker’s statements that, among other things, Griffin is a “cornball brother”, and because he has a white fiancé, is not “down with the cause”, like other African Americans.

As Wise clumsily stumbled his own question, Griffin’s eyes widened, likely realizing where the question was heading. Griffin is, of course, as silvertongued an athlete to ever grace the Washingtonian area. But to this spectator, his visage seemed to channel the following sentiment: Is this guy really about to ask me this ****ing question?

Click here to read more (it gets more inflammatory...)

I was reading an article in the Post earlier this week and I had to stop halfway through because the writing was just awful, using such stupid made-up names like "redempskins," groan! Then I saw it was written by Wise, whose last name may be ironic, like when Little Tony is really 6'6" and 350 lbs.

This was just more ridiculous agenda-pushing by him. We're pushing for the playoffs stupid, hardly anybody cared about your agenda before and even less care now. He and Reid may be the two biggest reasons the Post sucks with sports coverage, especially football.

You could tell half-way through asking it he started thinking "Oh god, maybe I shouldn't go there it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense considering all the other questions that have been asked" and then he just by-passed that very reasonable thought and went ahead and asked anyway.

You could tell half-way through asking it he started thinking "Oh god, maybe I shouldn't go there it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense considering all the other questions that have been asked" and then he just by-passed that very reasonable thought and went ahead and asked anyway.

**** it, I'm going deep!!

Does it shock anybody though?

The last two times the Redskins were (possibly) on their way to the playoffs (in 2005 and 2007), the Washington (Com)Post pulled this nonsense.

In 2005, it was that interview with Arrington where he pretty much threw everyone on the team under the bus. In 2007, it was that nasty piece about Snyder and how he acted when he first came to the Redskins.

These questions and articles aren't coincidences. They are intentional.

The WP just can't let go of their petty feud with Snyder and the Redskins.

I can't stand UnWise Mike. He is the laziest "journalist" in the area... he thrives on being a troll. Nobody respects him. And I'm glad he was fired from 106.7 the fan.

For as much as I dislike Jason Reid... I'll say two things about him... 1) I don't dislike him as much as I dislike UnWise Mike; and 2) JReid has recently began shirking Wise on Wise's show and on Redskins Showtime and other shows.

It appears enough is enough and it truly couldn't happen to a bigger douchebag.

Well written, KK.

Wise pushing this agenda on RGIII is typically desperate. You're right, he has written some quality pieces for WAPO, but when it comes down to it he's centrally focused on his brand of politics, not sports journalism. Properly stationed at the Washington Post, if you ask me. Now, if WJFK would only whittle back his hours some more...

UnWise Mike should have been fired by the Washington Post the day that he tweeted that fake story, but that's a discussion for a different thread. His suspension was a complete professional embarrassment.

More than anything, Wise is simply a boring writer - the worst crime of all.

My favorite is when Greg Williams was suspended for Bounty Gate, PFT (I believe) ran a story that Mike wrote in 2011 about GW and bounty gate and then another from 2007 that Mike wrote about how if the Redskins had learned anything as an organization, that they would hire GW to be the head coach.... lol. He doesn't even realize how big of an idiot he is.

And you have to wonder what 106.7 the fan is doing by replacing him with the just as bad John Finestein... this guy has issues of his own. What a nutroll.

-------------------------------------------

By the way KK... this is gold!

"Robert cranes his neck and takes Wise into his gaze, admiration and respect glinting in his suddenly somber eyes. “I am so glad you asked me that question, UnWise Mike. And before I answer, I would like to compliment your pate, upon which the sun glints majestically, as if you are its golden child, sent forth to ask this very question. Yes, my opinions on the name of this franchise are strong. I am well researched, and have spent much time meditating with the chiefs of the offended tribes. My passion is so deep, demanding so much of my cerebral capacity, in fact, that my knowledge of the playbook has suffered. If the name were changed, my mind would be free. Never would I have scrambled on a 2nd and long to Haloti Ngata’s side of the field if we were simply called the Washington Mikewises"

---------- Post added December-20th-2012 at 04:46 AM ----------

Now, if WJFK would only whittle back his hours some more...

He was fired. Last week was his last show, mate.

The timing is weird. The rookie qb, coming off an injury, his team on its first march towards the playoffs in five years, a little bit of alpha anger towards the team at being benched (or at least some aggressive competitiveness exhibited), his o-line facing its first injuries... and you have to go to an off season storyline?

I won't say it's not a legit question... most questions have a place, but timing matters. If he wanted to go into the cornball thing... if he wanted to go into George Preston Marshall and the Redskins racist past as a tie-in, maybe that would have a better news or commentary peg, but the way that question was framed and I assume you quoted it reasonably... the question and connection or the attempt to make it relevent was a pretty bad stretch.

Also, I agree with others... nice commentary KK

There's nothing wrong with wondering what the franchise QB that just so happens to be a minority, thinks of the team's name. However, as most have said, the timing was curious. It seems like more of an offseason, sit down interview type of question. But I have no problem whatsoever with wanting to get RG3's take on it, in general. But considering he didn't indulge the Rob Parker thing at all, trying to segue into this from that seemed lame. I would expect he'd take the road he took, but questions are there to be asked. I appreciate that people don't wanna talk about it and that it only comes up when the team is winning. I get that.

The timing is weird. The rookie qb, coming off an injury, his team on its first march towards the playoffs in five years, a little bit of alpha anger towards the team at being benched (or at least some aggressive competitiveness exhibited), his o-line facing its first injuries... and you have to go to an off season storyline?

I won't say it's not a legit question... most questions have a place, but timing matters. If he wanted to go into the cornball thing... if he wanted to go into George Preston Marshall and the Redskins racist past as a tie-in, maybe that would have a better news or commentary peg, but the way that question was framed and I assume you quoted it reasonably... the question and connection or the attempt to make it relevent was a pretty bad stretch.

Also, I agree with others... nice commentary KK

Maybe its just me, but I was listening to the press conference yesterday and thought it was a legit question and a legit response from RG3. I mean, there are people who are offended by the name, so many I'm finding out that I rarely use the full team name when addressing them. I have my problems with the logo as well. I don't think this question is by any means off limits or a hot potato that we should avoid because of "bad timing" or whatever. Now, if people in this thread or this area don't like Wise, then that's another story. But I think its a valid question to ask.

I'm just not sure it's the most compelling question of the day, Thinking. If you wanted to go into race then go with the cornball thing and Preston's history. Wise's choice to segue the way he did suggests that he felt the need to rationalize it or put it into context himself.

It's a legit issue and most call our team the 'Skins I think in part for that reason including Redskins fans, but I do think there were more compelling or interesting front line questions.

The last two times the Redskins were (possibly) on their way to the playoffs (in 2005 and 2007), the Washington (Com)Post pulled this nonsense.

In 2005, it was that interview with Arrington where he pretty much threw everyone on the team under the bus. In 2007, it was that nasty piece about Snyder and how he acted when he first came to the Redskins.

Of course they do. In the 80's it was the ComPost against the Squire & Gibbs vs Brennan. It's just the way the Post operates. Pretty pathetic IMO. Somone should ask the Compost about the Kaplan scam and see what they say.

Pity Griff didn't give him "That's a clown question bro", woulda brought the house down :ols:

Race relations and racism are taboo topics in the country atm, and part of their sorry state is the fact that no one is willing to talk about them, but this was not anything more than a cornball journalist pushing his agenda in where it didn't work.

I'd LOVE to see Robert address it someday, maybe even post-football, because here's a man with the charisma, the articulation and intelligence to be heard and respected, someone whose celebrity status might breach some defenses on both sides and genuinely get people talking. But here? Now? Don't see it as right or relevant in this context.

Calling them the completely mature name "Compost" kind of reveals where you're at and not too surprising reveals how inaccurate you are.

It was the moonies that wrote the story about Lavar the week of the Eagles finale

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/dec/28/20051228-120248-9729r/?page=all

But don't let facts get in the way of agenda right? Actually that is kind of UnWise Mike-esk.

If any watched the show, that aired earlier this month about the question of blackness in America, people would know that both Rob Parker and UnWise Mike have legitimate questions. Timing and "phraseology" are only issues for people the subject does not affect. The question of one's "blackness" is an issue in the African American community. It is a historical issue. To decry it's importance borders on indifference of another race's issue(s). I am an African American man that was the only AA in a small town in this country and some of the towns citizens and the newspaper reported that the Secretary of the Department of Social and Health Services said, That the reason she was closing a juvenile justice institution was because the employee ranks were not black enough. ". I took great exception to the use of this term. How would someone without the experience even know what black enough really is, when we as a people, from a historical perspective, struggle with the true meaning of " blackness.". Blackness is not a monolithic concept and therefore controversial. But a legitimate topic, it is. To ignore it or refuse to discuss it, portends indifference to the subject, thereby minimizing an entire segment of society's conversation about itself, historically. Indifference is worst than insult. At least through insult, intended or unintended, we have a platform for dialogue. Ignoring many of these issues is what allows the ignorance between the races to continue and thus never moving us toward the day when we actually understand and respect one another. Let's have the dialogue, no matter how uncomfortable. It will eventually save us all. Fortunately and unfortunately, that salvation will be from ourselves.

Being a lifelong Skins fan that has only recently moved to Redskins country, it will NEVER cease to amaze me the negativity that the local media spews at the Redskins. I don't get it. I always read about it on ES, but was never exposed to it first hand up until this year. It's unbelievable.

And on the age old, beaten the horse to DEATH topic, I'll say this....Look, I'm of Native American descent, most of my grandparents are full blooded Choctaw or Cherokee Indian, and it's the reason I BECAME a Skins fan. Because the name "Redskin" was a term of pride. Can we just drop the stupid debate once and for all, and move the hell on for Christ's sake??!?!

there are people who are offended by the name, so many I'm finding out that I rarely use the full team name when addressing them. .

i cannot speak to your experience, but i will say that mine differs greatly.

our opinions dont really matter. native americans opinions do, and, fortunately, they dont have a problem with it.

btw, someone told wise that native american schools use the name as their mascot and you know what he said? "those people dont count". but, he does, apparently.

nice.

Maybe its just me, but I was listening to the press conference yesterday and thought it was a legit question and a legit response from RG3. I mean, there are people who are offended by the name, so many I'm finding out that I rarely use the full team name when addressing them. I have my problems with the logo as well. I don't think this question is by any means off limits or a hot potato that we should avoid because of "bad timing" or whatever. Now, if people in this thread or this area don't like Wise, then that's another story. But I think its a valid question to ask.
Agreed. What was Griffin's reponse anyway?

Personally the name bothers me, I've stolen from Doc Walker and taken to refering to them as the Burgundy and Gold as much as I can.

I think the they should research the Native American tribes that were in the MD/VA area and re-name the team after them. It keeps the Native American theme while not being derogatory.

Agreed. What was Griffin's reponse anyway?

Personally the name bothers me, I've stolen from Doc Walker and taken to refering to them as the Burgundy and Gold as much as I can.

I think the they should research the Native American tribes that were in the MD/VA area and re-name the team after them. It keeps the Native American theme while not being derogatory.

I'm glad Wise addressed the question. The controversy with the name and logo will never die until changes are made for the better.

i officially give up.

Archived