Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Ravens History, Anecdotes, and Fan Memories

kleese

Well, this will be a short one :)

Can't include our history with where they came from because the city of Cleveland retained the Browns history when they left for Baltimore. And I can't include our history with the Baltimore Colts because that went with them to Indy.

The Ravens are a singular franchise, so all we can go on is the four times we've played them....

--The Redskins are 1-3 all time vs. the Ravens

--The Redskins are 1-2 vs. the Ravens at home and 0-1 on the road

--The Redskins have never scored more than 17 points vs the Ravens

That's about all I got for trends and streaks.

My Memories:

1997: Yet another reminder of the painful 1997 season...the Bam Morris game. He ran the ball over 30 times that day for over 170 yards. For those that don't remember Bam, his name is pretty telling. A bruiser, not a gamebreaker. That day I'm not sure he had a 20 yard run all day...he just slowly ground us down. Piss poor run defense was a hallmark of the mid 90's Redskins and it was on full display that afternoon at FedEx. Ranks right there with the Rams game and the Giants tie as frustrating memories for me that season. I didn't get Sunday Ticket until 1999 so I watched this at my old sports bar in Norman (was a sophomore at OU at the time) and specifically remember being seriously frustrated after this one. Just another day at the office for Norv.

2000: Terrible game....This was the Ravens team that eventually won the SB and has gone down as one of the best defenses in history. It was 3-3 entering the fourth quarter thanks in large part to a horrible throw by Tony Banks right before the half that was intercepted by Kevin Mitchell in the end zone. We finally scored a TD in the 4th and held on to win 10-3. By that time I was a senior and had stopped going as bonkers socially and began settling down a bit...had my own apartment and was starting to get serious with my now wife. I watched most of the 2000 season in my apartment by myself on Sundays because my friends were always too worthless after Saturday nights to even come over and watch football. Gotta say, I kind of enjoyed that setup :) Even though it was ugly, the win did feel good...both teams were 5-2 after this one and I would have bet the house at the time that we were going to finish as the better team....oops.

2004: Up 10-0 in the second half, things were looking good on this Sunday night before Ed Reed shifted the game single handedly. His sack/strip/recovery/TD run on a safety blitz on Brunell shifted momentum. The Ravens took the lead on a punt return, and our offense never got to breathe again....That was the nigth I realized how bad our offense truly was in 2004.

2008: Never has a game that mattered so much felt like it meant so little. Again on a Sunday night, this time in Baltimore, the game really meant quite a bit to us at the time. But it was so clear by then that we weren't any good that I hardly had any anticipation for this game, and honestly, I remember very little of it. Another Ed Reed TD return gave them a quick 14-0 lead and they never looked back. We did briefly get to within 7 in the 4th quarter but it was short lived. I wasn't upset at all after this game because I knew it was coming...just melancholy about how our season spiraled so badly.

So, not a lof of good mojo for us against the Rats, especially offensively. Hopefully things change this Sunday.

I just remember a ton of Ed Reed ownage. I barely remember the game we won in 2000.

I think Jamal Lewis ran pretty well against us in '04, and I remember Ray Lewis knocking Laveranues Coles into an alternate reality. I think he caught a slant route, and as soon as his hands hit the ball... BAM! It was bad. I think Lav was spitting up blood or something, and had to go to the sidelines. Ray annihalated him. One of the hardest hits I've ever seen. I also think Deion Sanders returned a punt like 50 yds in that game. Pissed me off.

I thought the 2000 game was pretty good. The Redskins defense outshined the overhyped Ravens and Stephen Davis rolling right through Rod Woodson was a moment that lived on for the rest of that season.

I was at the 2000 game and the 97 game.

97 was the first loss at The Big Jack. It was a rainy miserable day. What I remember of Bam Morris' day that day was that from the stands you could see that on some of his longer runs that he literally was one defender/step away from going to the house many times. As big a day as he had, it could have been much bigger. The Redskins run defense was awful that day. The funny thing is that the Ravens of this period were an offensive passing team with Vinny Testaverde having a great season in 96. He dropped in 97 but still, them running on us was a shock. The Redskins never led and it seemed like the Ravens always kept the Redskins an arms length away. Just a terrible loss.

I had no memory of either of the last two games until it was jogged by Kleese. I had forgotten that the Redskins led 10-0 and were in control of the 04 game until Reed turned it around followed by a punt return for a td.

I was at the 97 game. Like Scruffy said, steady downpour, cold, miserable. We were in the upper deck and right under the lights. It was steadily dripping on us. We had rain ponchos, but they didn't help too much. We couldn't stop the run all damn day and then Vinny would burn us. We had a Ravens fan in our section with a "duck call." He kept blowing that thing and getting on everyone's nerves. My Mom finally had enough and told the guy, you blow that one more time, I'm going to shove it down your throat and when you fart, it will sound like that duck call. Everyone laughed. Unfortunately he didn't stop blowing the duck call.

Pretty lackluster history (for us at least). You hit on a very good point...the 2008 game was mathematically HUGE for us. We were 7-5 with a chance for 8-5 but I was sure we were going to lose and we didn't give ourselves a chance. I think the Reed TD on that was him taking the ball from Portis after a reception, but I could be wrong.

Pretty lackluster history (for us at least). You hit on a very good point...the 2008 game was mathematically HUGE for us. We were 7-5 with a chance for 8-5 but I was sure we were going to lose and we didn't give ourselves a chance. I think the Reed TD on that was him taking the ball from Portis after a reception, but I could be wrong.

Yeah Portis fumble. I'm still convinced he was down though. I remember the play vividly.

I remember that game getting flexed and just knew we were being prepared for slaughter

I honestly turned. Then I came back, and I think Reed had just scored the touchdown. It gets discussed a ton among my friends who are Skins fans. I'll always say that 2008 was far more frustrating than 2009, by a mile. In '09, I was already dead inside by like Wk 5.

I honestly turned. Then I came back, and I think Reed had just scored the touchdown. It gets discussed a ton among my friends who are Skins fans. I'll always say that 2008 was far more frustrating than 2009, by a mile. In '09, I was already dead inside by like Wk 5.

I feel you man....I bought into the hype, big time.

Those beatdowns from the Steelers, Giants, Ravens, and Bengals sucked

I went to the game at the Rathole in 2008. It was freezing! I think it was the coldest game I've ever attended. They went up 14 - 0 making for a miserable day. The preseason game in 2007 was another game with inclement weather. Play was suspended for lightning and everyone had to exit the bowl. Play resumed into the third quarter but was eventually called for lightning. We won since we were ahead at the time. It absolutely poured on that August day despite the 10% chance of rain forecast. When checking the weather forecast on game day, my wife and I still joke about not going when there's a 10% chance. Right now, weather.com is predicting a 10% chance of rain for Sunday's game! I'm going anyway.

Well, I remember each of these games... but the one's I remember more (for a different reason) were the recent pre-season games we have had against the Ravens... and in particular, Coach John Harbaugh.

2009... when he fake-punted on Zorn and ran up the score.

2011... both our starting offense and starting defense scored on Baltimore's first team and basically controlled them the entire first half. Harbaugh left his guys in there in the 3rd quarter, and then really called the game like an ass in the 4th quarter and then celebrated a pre-season win like he had just won the Super Bowl.

This coach is absolute garbage. He is always one of the first to speak about "class" yet he is the last to show it.

I hope we dust them off on Sunday if only to see him pout about it.

Archived