Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the Shanahan's new Offense called? Is it still West Coast?

jRight

Shanahan coaching tree comes from the Bill Walsh school. Then when he was in Denver with Elway it was the West Coast Offense, with some bootleg elements. So is it now West Coast with some Pistol elements to it. Or is it WC with Spread sprinkled in?

Pistol Coast Offense.

If you want to get technical, Bill Walsh had more of a Stanford offense that got labelled WCO... Air Coryell was more West Coast... and Joe GIbbs put his own variation on it, which some called the East Coast offense...

It's like a spread, but with more pistol formations and less WRs spread out... plus Shanny can incorporate his running game... it's rare you see such innovation... the last big innovation on offense that I remember was the Rams offense that Mike Martz was using, which was a variation of Norv Turner-Ernie Zampese.

I may be slightly (or more) wrong or over-arching in some of the above, but it's an interesting topic nonetheless

If you want to get technical, Bill Walsh had more of a Stanford offense that got labelled WCO... Air Coryell was more West Coast... and Joe GIbbs put his own variation on it, which some called the East Coast offense...

It's like a spread, but with more pistol formations and less WRs spread out... plus Shanny can incorporate his running game... it's rare you see such innovation... the last big innovation on offense that I remember was the Rams offense that Mike Martz was using, which was a variation of Norv Turner-Ernie Zampese.

I may be slightly (or more) wrong or over-arching in some of the above, but it's an interesting topic nonetheless

You're pretty much on point, however Bill Walsh ran Paul Brown's principles which he carried over and developed further when Walsh went to the Bengals by the time Walsh coached at Stanford he already had developed the offense so technically Stanford pretty much ran his NFL offense.

Actually, it uses a lot of the fundamentals of the West Coast offense. If you notice, there are a lot stretch runs, but instead of doing it in the traditional under-center formation, RG3 takes the snap out of the pistol, and still hands it off in a classic zone-stretch fashion. By doing it in the pistol formation, however, gives them flexibility to add their own wrinkles, such as the triple-read option and so on.

It's essentially the West Coast offense used in a pistol formation, and all I know is that it's working....

After hearing Cooley on 106.7, its become clear to me that this Kyle's playcalling. I had been theorizing that Mike has a big hand in what plays get called, but never knew for sure exactly of course.

While he is bound by his fathers preference for mobile linemen and the zone blocking scheme, Kyle has a big fingerprint in what we see.

The Shanahan Shuffle ft RG3

Archived