Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2012 Redskins vs Giants (Final)

NoLeafClover

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2012 Redskins vs Giants

12/3/12

8243094799_0e4686e402_c.jpg

VICTORY!!!

Redskins 17 - Giants 16

:helmet:

I'll be completely honest - in year's past I'd be dreading this game.

The thought of watching the Redskins face the Giants on national television in the first week of December would send shivers down my spine. While I always do my best to go into every week with a sense of optimism, deep down I would have this feeling that I was in for an epic public meltdown on a national stage. Let's face it: it's something we've seen countless times before.

But oh, what a difference Robert Griffin III makes. Thanks to RGIII, anything is possible.

The Redskins are no longer the team that gets crushed by rookie quarterbacks having career days. The Redskins are no longer the team with nothing to play for in December. They are no longer the team that can't beat the Cowboys at home. They are something much, much better.

So even after the devastating loss against Carolina that had Mike Shanahan publicly questioning the team's post-season prospects, we find ourselves preparing to watch the 'Skins take on the Giants on Monday Night Football in a game with playoff implications.

This is the game where we find out what this team is made of and what the rest of this season will be about. This truly is a must-win game. A win puts them in the hunt for first place in the NFC East and for a possible wild card spot. It also makes a statement to the rest of the NFL that this team should be taken seriously.

It's gut check time. It's time to see what RGIII and the Redskins can do with the eyes of the nation upon them. And personally, I couldn't be more excited for this one.

Murf and I will be bringing you all of the action from the press box and the field. So stay tuned ...

Redskins Inactives:

QB Rex Grossman

WR Dezmon Briscoe

CB Richard Crawford

LB Roddrick Muckelroy

G. Josh LeRibeus

G Adam Gettis

DE Doug Worthington

Giants Inactives:

RB Ryan Torain

TE Travis Beckum

LB Jacquian Williams

DE Adewale Ojomo

TE Adrien Robinson

WR Domenik Hixon

DT Marvin Austin

5:58 PM - I saw more Giants jerseys in the parking lot than I would have liked, but I'm here in the press box and excited for tonight's game.

6:45 PM - Interesting tidbit: If Mike Shahan wins tonight, he will tie Joe Gibbs for the 12th-most wins in NFL history at 171.

6:55 PM - Trent Williams is out there for warm ups, testing out his left thigh.

7:24 PM - Sobering fact of the day: the last time the Redskins won a Monday Night Football game at FedEx Field, Robert Griffin III was seven years old.

7:50 PM - By the way, when they do the introductions today (and from now on), this video will be in my head:

8:29 PM - So when is Trent Dilfer going to give Steve Young a Stone Cold Stunner?

8:35 PM - The Redskins will receive!!! Finally!!!

8:45 PM - Fun things happen when you don't defer. It takes a coach's challenge to make it happen, but the Redskins convert on third down to keep this drive alive.

8:49 PM - A few big dropped passes on that opening drive. I'll chalk it up to nerves.

9:00 PM - Lawrence Tynes connects with a 39-yard field goal. With the big chunks of yardage they were getting at the start of the drive, I'll take them having to settle for a field goal. 11 plays, 69 yards, six minutes and 32 seconds. 0-3

9:03 PM - Morris is over 1,000 for the season. He's the second Redskins rookie ever to do so.

9:07 PM - Well, that's one way to get it into the end zone. Griffin rushes for 12 yards, then fumbles the ball to Joshua Morgan, who scoops it up and rushes the ball in for the score. Four plays, 80 yards, two minutes and six seconds. 7-3

9:13 PM - The ref keeps accidentally turning his mic on, filling the press box with stadium noise. I'm thinking we are a quarter away from a Frank Drebin situation.

END OF FIRST QUARTER

7-3

9:24 PM - The defense tightens up, forcing Eli Manning to get an intentional grounding call, then forcing the Giants to settle for a field goal attempt ... that Lawrence Tynes misses. Ugly, but it works.

9:37 PM - The Redskins keep giving up big plays on third down.

9:40 PM - The Giants with false start, delay of game and holding penalties and the Redskins with a big pass interference call and sloppy third down play - this drive it's a battle to see who wants it less.

9:45 PM - It was a drive that seemed like it would never end, but the Giants manage to put six points on the board. This was despite the fact that they did all they could - false starts, delay of games, holding - to blow the drive. 13 plays, 85 yards, seven minutes and 23 seconds. 7-10

9:49 PM - Brandon Banks tried to throw a block. Adorable.

9:59 PM - Well, seven points would have been nice, but it wasn't meant to be. The Redskins move the ball down the field with efficiency, but can't punch it in the end zone. Instead, they settle for a field goal. Six plays, 51 yards, one minute and 51 seconds. 10-10

10:05 PM - The Redskins offense manages to leave too much time on the clock before the half. With just 41 seconds left, Eli Manning leads the Giants downfield to give Lawrence Tynes a chance at a 40-yard field goal, which he nails. Six plays, 54 yards, 41 seconds. 10-13

HALFTIME

10-13

10:27 PM - The Giants with their first punt of the day. Hooray.

10:32 PM - Watching RGIII run is a thrilling and terrifying experience.

10:36 PM - Alfred Morris fumbles, then the game devolves into the fight scene from Anchorman.

10:41 PM - Dear Redskins defense, please know where Victor Cruz is at all times. Thanks.

10:46 PM - Miraculously, the Giants settle for a 35-yard field goal from Tynes off of the Morris fumble. Eight plays, 75 yards, three minutes and 36 seconds. A Redskins touchdown takes the lead. 10-16

10:52 PM - The most frustrating part of this game is how little the Giants seem to actually want to win it.

10:53 PM - Alfred Morris just broke the Redskins rookie rushing record.

END OF THIRD QUARTER

10-16

10:59 PM - RGIII just broke Cam Newton's rookie rushing record.

11:04 PM - Robert Griffin III connects on an eight touchdown pass to a wide open Pierre Garcon. And just like that, the 'Skins are winning. 12 plays, 86 yards, six minutes and 38 seconds. 17-16

11:10 PM - Momentum: right now the Redskins have it.

11:17 PM - The refs with an absolutely terrible offensive pass interference call on Logan Paulsen.

11:23 PM - The announced attendance for tonight's game is 80,246. No word on how many of them are Giants fans.

11:25 PM - A group of fans is chanting: "Bull****! Bull****! Bull****!"

11:25 PM - Bonus points for Bryan Kehl for attempting to hold Steve Weatherford up after running into him on the punt.

11:36 PM - It's safe to say Pierre Garcon has been missed. (Eight receptions for 106 yards and a touchdown.)

PHOTOS

8244162824_c243e2ee04_c.jpg

To see ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Lorenzo Alexander click HERE

To listen to comments from Stephen Bowen click HERE

To listen to comments from London Fletcher click HERE

To listen to comments from Pierre Garcon click HERE

To listen to comments from Rob Jackson click HERE

To listen to comments from Ryan Kerrigan click HERE

To listen to comments from Joshua Morgan click HERE

To listen to comments from Alfred Morris click HERE

To listen to comments from Santana Moss click HERE

To listen to comments from Perry Riley click HERE

To listen to comments from Trent Williams click HERE

To listen to more from Trent Williams click HERE

To listen to comments from Josh Wilson click HERE

To listen to comments from Darrel Young click HERE

MY TAKE

When Robert Griffin III walked into the locker room following his press conference, he surveyed his teammates and, with a big grin on his face, said, "All smiles. We must have won."

It was only one win. Just one game in a 16 game season that, on paper, only served to finally give this team a .500 record. But for Griffin and his teammates and for the legions of beleaguered Redskins fans who watched the game in the stadium or at home, it meant so much more.

It was the third consecutive win for the 'Skins, a seemingly ordinary feat that the team hadn't managed to achieve since the dawn of the Jim Zorn era. It capped off the team's first three game winning streak against divisional opponents since 2005. It was also a win at FedEx Field on Monday Night Football, an accomplishment they hadn't achieved since October 13, 1997, when RGIII was seven years old. Their last win on Monday Night Football was a 2007 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. And even with the win tonight, the 'Skins record on Monday nights is an abysmal 27-34 all time.

With the win tonight, Mike Shanahan now has 171 career wins as a head coach, which ties him with Joe Gibbs (who coincidentally was in attendance tonight) for the 12th most wins in the NFL. And that wasn't the only major accomplishment that happened tonight. During the game, Griffin surpassed Cam Newton's NFL record 706 rushing yards by a rookie quarterback in a season. And Alfred Morris broke Reggie Brooks' 1,063 yard record for most rushing yards by a Redskins rookie running back. Morris also became the first Redskins running back since Clinton Portis to rush for over 1,000 yards in a season.

But more importantly than the records or the incremental improvement of their all-time Monday Night Football record, this one win officially put the Redskins in the playoff hunt. Things looked bleak when the 'Skins lost to Carolina and were 3-6. But three back-to-back impressive wins over divisional opponents have put them one game behind the Giants for first place in the NFC East and it's put them in the hunt for a wild card spot. In short, for the first time in a long time, it means the Redskins will be playing meaningful football in December.

This game was a test of their character. They needed to win to keep their playoff hopes alive and to show that things truly are different in the RGIII era. If they wilted under the pressure of a national stage and folded against the Giants, their season was effectively over. But instead of doing that, they shined on a national platform, setting records as they beat their toughest division rival.

It was only one game. But man, it was so much more.

MONDAY IS HERE! ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!

ok, enough of that.

Tonight America and the Giants will be focused on RGIII. But there's someone else; unheralded, relatively unknown, un-hyped, and that is Alfred Morris. A RB who is a bull, he's quick, agile, and difficult to bring down with 1 tackler. The spotlight will be on RGIII, but I am looking for a HUGE night from Morris.

Its time for America to see there are 2 very talented people behind the o-line, and I am looking for both of them to shine, especially Morris.

SIC

MONDAY IS HERE! ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!

ok, enough of that.

Tonight America and the Giants will be focused on RGIII. But there's someone else; unheralded, relatively unknown, un-hyped, and that is Alfred Morris. A RB who is a bull, he's quick, agile, and difficult to bring down with 1 tackler. The spotlight will be on RGIII, but I am looking for a HUGE night from Morris.

Its time for America to see there are 2 very talented people behind the o-line, and I am looking for both of them to shine, especially Morris.

SIC

Let's not forget that GARCON is back......!

This game is going to be tough but it has the full potential to be a game that will be remembered. I feel like we need to show the world what we can do. Our guys should know this and the fans should be as loud as possible.

BTW, has it been released whether or not Trent and London will play tonight?

I'm WAY more hyped for this than I was Thanksgiving. Yet another reason to hate Mara even more.

And it's not the fact of keeping in touch at the top of the division. It's the fact that I hate these gutless, low life, underhand, colluding, cheating ***** out of New Jersey more than I hate any other team out there after the ***** they pulled on my team.

Man I want this one BAD!

Hail.

I'm WAY more hyped for this than I was Thanksgiving. Yet another reason to hate Mara even more.

And it's not the fact of keeping in touch at the top of the division. It's the fact that I hate these gutless, low life, underhand, colluding, cheating ***** out of New Jersey more than I hate any other team out there after the ***** they pulled on my team.

Man I want this one BAD!

Hail.

Yup, i want this win more than any other this season...i hope we kill them.

This is gonna be the slowest day in history. Rocking Skins gear at work today. Took tomorrow off- have a feeling gonna need it.

I'm flying out to Udine and Venice tomorrow for 3 or 4 days of great food, wine and company. With a soccer game thrown in just for the heck of it.

The wine-fest will be starting early tonight!

Hail.

How are you watching the game? Online? That'll be a long night!

Wish I could! lol

It'll start at something like 2:30 AM.. Ends up at 6AM...

I'll just watch the results on tomorrow morning for me.

It's great to see how guys, like me, are completly fired up about this game. I just hope our guys are just like us and wants to crush some giants badly.

How are you watching the game? Online? That'll be a long night!

Ahhh, the joys of being in England make most Sunday/ Monday night games long ass nights, lol.

The scheduled kick-off here is 1:30 AM. So it's an all-nighter taking in the game, a few early morning errands to run, then a flight to Verona and most of the day there before a train journey upto Udine for a few days and finally onto Venice. Returning Saturday night in time for the Ravens game.

Meh, sleeps overrated anyways.

Hail.

I can't wait for this game! I hope we're not fooling ourselves a little bit though. The last two teams we've played aren't exactly devensive monsters. maybe it's a little of the old Redskins fear creeping in on me, but I just don't want them to make fools of themselves on national tv. This game, if they play well, will go a long way to proving that things really have changed.

HTTR!!!

Crush the Giants!!!

Archived