Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RGIII is the 2012 Rookie of The Year! The Official RGIII Rookie of The Year Watch Thread

Boss_Hogg

Since 1967, the AP has awarded two annual Rookie of the Year (ROY) awards: one for an offensive player and one for a defensive player. These two are often regarded as the "official" awards. However, the NFL also recognizes other awarding agencies such as The Sporting News, Pro Football Weekly, Sports Illustrated, and Diet Pepsi.

This thread will be updated as the season progresses; so we can keep track of Robert's quest to capture the offensive ROY award. (I'll probably wait until the following Monday or Tuesday after game day, just so I can make sure all players below are being measured on an equal scale).

Click on the graphic below for a larger view

untitled-19_zpsadde85f9-1_zps5655016f.jpg

*Total QBR - (abbreviated as Total QBR or simply QBR) is a measure of performance for NFL passers developed by ESPN in 2011. ESPN claims this rating is a more meaningful alternative to the NFL passer rating which still remains the OFFICIAL measure for quarterback performance.

Pepsi Max Rookie of The Week Winners:

Week 1 - Robert Griffin III

Week 2 - Trent Richardson

Week 3 - Andrew Luck

Week 4 - Robert Griffin III

Week 5 - Andrew Luck

Week 6 - Robert Griffin III

Week 7 - Alfred Morris

Week 8 - Andrew Luck

Week 9 - Doug Martin

Week 10 - Russell Wilson

Week 11 - Robert Griffin III

Week 12 - Robert Griffin III

Week 13 - Robert Griffin III

Week 14 - Alfred Morris

Week 15 - Kirk Cousins

Week 16 - Robert Griffin III

Week 17 - Alfred Morris

RGIII (7)

Luck (3)

Morris (3)

Richardson (1)

Wilson (1)

Martin (1)

Cousins (1)

Stats courtesy of NFL.COM & ESPN.COM

644C2D29-92F8-4229-984A-34BF970DDAF8-8044-000009F985E5D68C_zps071a88bf.jpg

He leads in average yards per throw, too.

He's #4 in YPA (Luck #19, Wilson #18, Tannehill #22, Weeden #whogivesacrap)

#6 in completion % (Luck #28, Wilson #17, Tannehill #27, Weeden #whogivesacrap)

People can't say he doesn't throw downfield. The only problem is our offense doesn't call for him to throw 40-50 times a game. But who cares? I don't see how he's not a lock. I really, really don't. And I try not to be too big of a homer, but I just don't understand how they haven't already sent him the award.

He leads in average yards per throw, too.

He's #4 in YPA (Luck #19, Wilson #18, Tannehill #22, Weeden #whogivesacrap)

#6 in completion % (Luck #28, Wilson #17, Tannehill #27, Weeden #whogivesacrap)

People can't say he doesn't throw downfield. The only problem is our offense doesn't call for him to throw 40-50 times a game. But who cares? I don't see how he's not a lock. I really, really don't. And I try not to be too big of a homer, but I just don't understand how they haven't already sent him the award.

Luck is going to kill him in yards and probably TD passes too when its all said and done. Luck also has an easier schedule and his team is moreso in the playoff picture than we are at the moment anyway.

I would bet Luck gets it for sure. Would be funny to see Griffin get it though and leave Luck in 2nd place for the third year in a row for an award he was the favorite in. 2 Heismans + ROY

Luck is going to kill him in yards and probably TD passes too when its all said and done. Luck also has an easier schedule and his team is moreso in the playoff picture than we are at the moment anyway.

I would bet Luck gets it for sure. Would be funny to see Griffin get it though and leave Luck in 2nd place for the third year in a row for an award he was the favorite in. 2 Heismans + ROY

Luck's performance against a not so good Pats defense didn't help his case at all. He's benefited from an extremely favorable schedule.

Luck throws a **** ton more passes and yes, he does have an easier schedule with a better supporting cast than RGIII.

No, it's never happened, and it's highly unlikely RGIII wins MVP, unless he absolutely dominates the next six games.

For highly unlikely read darn near impossible. Their never gona' give that to a rookie no matter what he does. (Going off memory, but isn't Jim Brown the only one ever? I might be wrong, but it's not many more if any.).

But he darn well should be in serious consideration if these things were ever run fair.

Hail.

*Edi* Thanks man BTW. Appreciated

Luck throws a **** ton more passes and yes, he does have an easier schedule with a better supporting cast than RGIII.

I know that is the unfortunate part of it. With RG3's efficiency and Lucks passing attempts, he would be around 20TDs 5Ints right now IMO. Hope voters keep that in mind and also realize how bad the Indy tankjob was last year from a SB contender the year before.

For highly unlikely read darn near impossible. Their never gona' give that to a rookie no matter what he does. (Going off memory, but isn't Jim Brown the only one ever? I might be wrong, but it's not many more if any.).

But he darn well should be in serious consideration if these things were ever run fair.

Hail.

*Edi* Thanks man BTW. Appreciated

Yeah. But when he won MVP his rookie year, the ROTY Award had not yet been established.

Yeah I don't see that happening.. yards yes, but td's, no way. as it is they are tied in td passes with 12, plus griffin has 6 rushing td's and only 3 int's, compared to Luck's 12 td's, 12 int's and 5 rushing td's. and they have almost identical completion #'s, but Luck has over 130 more pass attempts...(57% completions vs Griffin's 67%) not to mention a 101 qbr vs 77.

Only problem is it hasn't turned into W's yet.. and the black running qb stigma that uninformed idiots like to throw his way (Vick 2.0, etc)

no way. rg3 and luck are tied for td passes right now at 12, and rg3 has 6 rushing TDs as well. luck has 12 interceptions while RG3 only has 3. plus rg3 has more highlight-reel signiature plays. nobody in their right mind would give ROY to luck over rg3 right now. nobody. that's not me being a homer. that's the way it is.

Yeah I don't see that happening.. yards yes, but td's, no way. as it is they are tied in td passes with 12, plus griffin has 6 rushing td's and only 3 int's, compared to Luck's 12 td's, 12 int's and 5 rushing td's. and they have almost identical completion #'s, but Luck has over 130 more pass attempts...(57% completions vs Griffin's 67%) not to mention a 101 qbr vs 77.

Only problem is it hasn't turned into W's yet.. and the black running qb stigma that uninformed idiots like to throw his way (Vick 2.0, etc)

I get all that but unless Griffin really starts going on a tear I dont see him keeping up with Luck in TD passes given the offense Indy runs and free reign to pass Luck is given plus our upcoming schedule compared to his.

---------- Post added November-20th-2012 at 01:15 PM ----------

That's the same bull **** argument I get from Ravens fan boys all the time.

What do they know of good QB play? Horrible, awful QBs are what kept them from owning the last decade and now they think Flacco is elite lol.

Thanks for posting that chart. I've been trolling the internet for random RG3 vs Luck debates the last few weeks, and I just posted that chart on every website I can find that is comparing the two :)

Oh, and though wins obviously play a big part of the argument, all the Luck supporters piss me off when they say "but Luck is 6-4." Yeah, no wonder...they play the Titans and the Jaguars twice a year.

Archived