Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jacksonville waives Anthony Armstrong, we should give him Banks' Roster spot

Rhodus333

He's just as fast as Banks, much bigger target, much better special teams contributor for tackling, much better hands, much more of a deep threat target, just as cheap.

Armstrong isnt going to be around for the next ten years but in my opinion we really messed up by not keeping around this veteran reciever who knows the playbook and had a knack for getting open deep. His 2010 stats have him finishing fourth among all receivers with 7 receptions of 40 yards or more for the 2010-2011 season. Among receivers with at least 20 receptions over the season, Armstrong finished third with 19.8 yards/catch.

We sure could have used him these last few weeks as a stopgap while we continue waiting for our young recievers to step up and learn how to hold onto the ball.

Just two years ago he was our leading reciever in THIS offense with the likes of McNabb and Grossman throwing him the ball. I see no reason why he can't recreate some if that success this year with a giant upgrade at QB and a team that needs a deep threat to take some pressure off the running game.

Running the option has made opposing defenses freeze at the line of scrimmage making it possible for even our slowest recievers like logan paulson get behind guys in coverage. Seeing some of the flea flicker and misdirection plays weve run this year makes me wish we had more deep route burners like Armstrong to take advantage of the defenses confusion

With the bye week in play i think we should sign this guy immediatley and try to work him into the lineup over the next few weeks to suprise defenses who wont have a gameplan for him. There are plenty of others who can handle return duties and its a no brainer to me that this guy offers much more offensive potential than Banks has shown.

The way i see it, he was the very last player to be cut in training camp, meaning he was on the bubble. This was back when we thought wed have garcon for the whole season and that banks would be making a difference in special teams. With neither of these happening, our wide recieving corp is MUCH less impressive looking now than it was at the beggining of the season. If they did bring in help for this team, he seems like an obvious choice to me. Especially with his knowledge of the playbook and ability to play special teams he can instantly contribute

If we picked him up, we would likely use him more as a running back than a deep threat.

For that, pass. No pun intended.

I would rather we find a running back instead of running banks when morris gets gassed. With a successful run game, it doesnt matter who our receivers are (AA wont make a difference), and always having a run threat in the game IS the foundation of everything mike does here, including his hand selecting of run happy linemen.

Our linemen dont afford the time for an AA to get open deep even with the help of PA.

With Morris out of the game for any reason, teams key on RG3 and its tough sledding. We dont even bother trying play action to Royster lol

If we commit to rolling out RG3 and moving the pocket buying WR time, maybe AA would help. But we flat out dont try. If RG3 is rolling to his right, every knows its a run.

If we do claim Armstrong, Briscoe would be the one likely to go, not Banks.

When Armstrong got waived by Miami a couple weeks ago we tried to get him and Jacksonville claimed him first. If we had gotten him, we would've waived Briscoe.

Banks is going no where until at least the end of the season. He's just not. We're going to be stuck with the bum for the rest of the season so we might as well get used to it and pray that we don't put a tender on him next year.

You actually think Mike "I'm never wrong" Shanahan to do an about face?

Not happening.

We already tried to claim him once. The issue isn't really would we try to get him off waivers because we already have.

The issue is "who gets cut if/when we do claim him". In that case, Banks is safe. Dezmon would be gone.

I am trying to understand why this team did not make any roster moves of significants during the bye. I saw the Raiders released a starting cb that played very well according to some analyst but was caught in a numbers game. Pat Lee is the cornerback's name. Pat Lee is actually going through waivers so hopefully the Skins put in a claim

Archived