Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kilmer17's roadmap to fix the GOP

Kilmer17

1- Stop being the party of stupid. You dont get to nominate Senatorial candidates like Christine Odonnel, Sharon Angle, Joe Miller (The GOP got LUCKY that Alaska has smart people voting in the general), Mourdock, Akin etc etc etc and expect to win. Crazy people scare sane people. Even if they agree with the overwhelming majority of their views, if a candidate scares voters, they wont win. It's time that GOP candidates in primaries start calling out the stupid scary ones.

2- Abortion. It's over. You lost this battle years ago. And the party already knows this. You know how I know this? Because if they really wanted to, they would have legislated it away when they had the chances. (MULTIPLE). It's a stupid, insignificant issue. But one that about 25 percent of the women vote feels is the MOST important. It's time to adopt the Clinton mantra- It should be safe, legal and rare. ANd for the love of all that is holy, no male GOP candidate shou;d ever use the word "rape" in a sentence again.

3- Immigration- If Romney matches McCains numbers with Hispanics, he wins. If he matched Bush's numbers, he wins a landslide. Reagan understood this. Why is it that the party that idolizes Reagan refuses to follow him? It's time to accept the consequences. The GOP should come out tomorrow with a proposal of immediate amnesty, and make their own dream act even farther to "the left".

4- Continue to fight like hell on spending and taxes. It's the one area that they consistantly win across the board. But dont be stupid (again). If you can win small battles, win them. The GOP should take Simpson Bowles in it's entirety to the POTUS and beat him over the head with it. Warts and all. It's not perfect, but it's a start. And if they FULLY stand behind it, there is no way the President and Dems could win a fight against it.

The GOP lost the WH and winnable Senate seats because they allow themselves to be painted as extremists, most of the time because they do it to themselves.

Focus on the things that are TRULY important.

What I wonder is whether this election was a referendum against obstructionism?

Since 9/11, the GOP has become an "ends justifies the means" party. Everything is okay so long as it moves them towards their power. This directly led to America having its bond rating dropped for the first time in history because Moody's and others thought Congress could not get its act together and solve the debt ceiling. That's just one of a thousand examples. The GOP needs to begin working for the nation again instead of just moving against the Dems.

(That's not to say the Dems are superior. When they had their two years they acted like spoiled, corrupt, selfish brats and they blew it. Both parties have a lot of growing up to do.)

Echoing your statements this is what I posted last night on my facebook wall

1) Embrace the liberty movement. Ron Paul isn't the enemy. In fact he is probably the smartest guy from either party

2) Embrace free-market populism. Ditch corporate welfare. Wall Street isn't a friend, its an enemy. Focus on middle class tax cuts (payroll taxes a good place to start) and focus on small businesses (credit goes to Luckydevil)

3) Go back to a sane foreign policy. With President Obama cementing the warfare state, now is the opportunity to become the party of limited foreign engagement again. I.E ditch the neo-cons.

4) Go easy on social issue. Hey I got no problem with pro life views, but bringing rape into the thing is just plain dumb.

5) Figure out a reasonable immigration policy. Saying "kick them all out" is idiotic. This is something that George W. Bush actually got right

I would add that really figuring out a way to get young voters out of the entitlement system will go a very long way :)

Over the next 4 years and likely even longer, there isn't a pro-life Republican running for office at the federal level in a close election that isn't going to have to answer questions about rape and abortion.

Its just such an easy apple for the opponent to reach for and for many of them its a very delicate balancing act. Say the wrong thing either way, and it can really hurt the person in an election.

Generally, I agree with you Kilmer.

Echoing your statements this is what I posted last night on my facebook wall

1) Embrace the liberty movement. Ron Paul isn't the enemy. In fact he is probably the smartest guy from either party

2) Embrace free-market populism. Ditch corporate welfare. Wall Street isn't a friend, its an enemy. Focus on middle class tax cuts (payroll taxes a good place to start) and focus on small businesses (credit goes to Luckydevil)

3) Go back to a sane foreign policy. With President Obama cementing the warfare state, now is the opportunity to become the party of limited foreign engagement again. I.E ditch the neo-cons.

4) Go easy on social issue. Hey I got no problem with pro life views, but bringing rape into the thing is just plain dumb.

5) Figure out a reasonable immigration policy. Saying "kick them all out" is idiotic. This is something that George W. Bush actually got right

I would add that really figuring out a way to get young voters out of the entitlement system will go a very long way :)

and here is where I would QFT back at ya!

I'd add, listen to those in the party that have differring opinions, even if you change nothing, at least show you care about what is being said and that you respect the viewpoint even if you disagree. Find common ground with the new blood.

Focus on trying to make inroads with minorities instead of trying to find ways to disenfranchise them. A lot of Hispanics and Blacks are socially conservative. Find common ground, build on that, and for the love of God kick the racist nutbag wing out of your party. You don’t need them to win the South. Basically what I’m saying is this year should mark a dramatic shift from the political strategy of the GOP since Nixon.

Also, call up your pals at Fox News and ask them to tone it down a bit. They go “full stupid” frequently, and stupid tends to offend smart, moderate independents.

Focus on trying to make inroads with minorities instead of trying to find ways to disenfranchise them. A lot of Hispanics and Blacks are socially conservative. Find common ground, build on that, and for the love of God kick the racist nutbag wing out of your party. You don’t need them to win the South. Basically what I’m saying is this year should mark a dramatic shift from the political strategy of the GOP since Nixon.

Also, call up your pals at Fox News and ask them to tone it down a bit. They go “full stupid” frequently, and stupid tend to offend smart, moderate independents.

Oh dear God don't find any links with minorities on "social conservative" stuff

Thats how you end up with Allen West

Haha fair enough. But seriously, they need to find a way to build their image with minorities. It's the only way they ever win nationally again.

Not minorities. Hispanics. I dont think the GOP has any chance of ever getting more than 10-12 percent of the black vote. No matter what they say or do.

---------- Post added November-7th-2012 at 10:31 AM ----------

Actually...they just need to nominate a likeable candidate, plain and simple.

Youre missing the point. Im not talking about winning an election.

Not minorities. Hispanics. I dont think the GOP has any chance of ever getting more than 10-12 percent of the black vote. No matter what they say or do.

Or the young single women vote, nor the Northeast vote.

Ron Paul fits many of the items you said, along with the fact he is far to the left then the President on the permanent war.

He'd have been crushed in similar Mitt like fashion

Or the young single women vote, nor the Northeast vote.

Ron Paul fits many of the items you said, along with the fact he is far to the left then the President on the permanent war.

He'd have been crushed in similar Mitt like fashion

I HIGHLY doubt we see such drastic changes so quickly. Maybe the GOP 12-16 years from now.

Based on what I'm hearing/reading on social media networks, other websites and news channels, the right is already blaming Romney and saying he wasn't conservative enough. What's stopping them from briefly transitioning into a period of more far right ideology?

Disagree. As soon as people hear that he was Scott Walker tough on gov't unions, the liberal lovefest with Christie over the last week would have been over

That and he is fat. We don't elect fat President's.

William Jefferson Clinton would like a word with you.

In fact, legend has it is that Clinton messed around with Monica because Hillary tried to get him to slim down (even replacing the White House chef) while Monica was more easy (in more ways than one) on him.

Archived