Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Many Current Redskins Would Start for the Giants?

zoony

This is a straightforward question. Including those players listed on IR, how many on our football Team would win a starting job with the New York Giants?

I also realize that this in some respects is not a fair question. For instance, I don't think RGIII would win a starting job over Eli, but I still would take him over Eli if I were building a roster from scratch

However, in most respects I think the question is more than fair.

I originally said 2. But including those on IR, I would say 3. I think Fred Davis, Trent Williams, and Ryan Kerrigan (at OLB) could start for the Giants. I have mixed feelings about Garçon and Morris. I think they could teeter on starting.

What's your number?

On offense, Trent, Lictensteiger and Polumbus (by default as he's better than what thye have, but not starting material at all) on the line. Young at FB. Morris at RB. Davis at TE.

Defense is more tricky, as they run a 43. But pound for pound, player for player straight up take any two of our linemen over their two DT's. Either MLB. And Kerrigan or Oakpo opposite Kiwanuka.

10 of 22. And I'm probably being a tad generous.

Hail.

I don't think it's really correct to say Kerrigan or Orakpo would start for them. Given that we run different defenses, both Kerrigan and Orakpo would be considered DEs in their scheme, and neither of them would start over the guys they currently have. Can't say I can see Kerrigan playing 4-3 OLB at a high level given his coverage deficiencies.

Bennett is also having a very good season, though Davis is probably better.

I'd say Trent, Montgomery, Riley, maybe Fred...and that just may be it.

Healthy?

RGIII would beat out Eli as early as year 2. Morris, Davis, Trent, Fletcher because their MLB is bad. At least if healthy, he can beat them out. Honestly one of Hall or Wilson could start at CB, their CBs suck. One of our interior guys might steal a spot. I don't see Rak or Kerrigan starting in that front, but that's not a shame at all. Maybe Rak or Kerrigan can play 4-3 OLB better than Kiwanuka can (yep, Mathias Kiwaknuka was a 4-3 DE who's been starting since 07 as a full time 4-3 OLB - they invested THAT many picks into pass rushers).

I don't think Garcon can beat out Cruz or Nicks.

So maybe 5 or 6 out of 22 starters? Add 7 once RGIII inevitably passes Eli.

I don't think it's really correct to say Kerrigan or Orakpo would start for them. Given that we run different defenses, both Kerrigan and Orakpo would be considered DEs in their scheme, and neither of them would start over the guys they currently have. Can't say I can see Kerrigan playing 4-3 OLB at a high level given his coverage deficiencies.

Either of them would make better 4-3 OLBs than Kiwanuka. And either of them vs. Tuck or Osi at this point is at least debatable.

offense

Trent Williams

Garcon -injured

Davis -injured

Morris

Young

I don't know if our line is that much better then their's that I would have our LG, C, and RG starting. Polumbus shouldn't be starting anywhere, let alone New York.

Defense

Kerrigan

Riley

Orakpo - injured

And that's it. I swear, my dad loves Cofield, but what I see is an undersized NT getting moved when he has to be moved and Bowen not getting any consistent pressure. And I love London, but he's done, and New York would know that enough to not have him as the primary MLB on their team when in a 4-3 you have only one MLB, not two.

So considering injuries, that's 5 guys out of 22 that would be starting for the Giants right now, no doubt in my mind.

5 out of 22. Jesus, we suck...

Hmm...tough call.

For starters, Giants are a pretty good team, above average in many of their positions.

The other problem is that they are a 4-3 team, while we're 3-4. Our personnel are different.

I'm inclined to say it's not a fair question on those two grounds, I think it would make more sense to ask this about a very average 3-4 team as opposed to an above average 4-3 team, but I'll bite and try and do it anyway.

On offense, Davis probably beats Bennett, Garcon takes the #3 spot (and the Y when they have 3 WRs, which is often) though I think he could compete with Cruz for the #2. Young would compete heads up and possibly win FB. Trent wins LT easily, Monty would be starter at either C or G.

So, potentially 5 players on offense, and I think others would get to be contributors, like Morris or Helu, who I think could beat out Brown and Wilson.

On defense, I honestly don't know. They have a very solid defense front to back, and again, they're a 4-3 so personnel are different. Would Orakpo be a starter there? Probably not, having to beat out JPP and Tuck. Thing is, the Giants wouldn't keep Orakpo, they'd trade him for picks to a place with a 3-4, or with fewer 4-3 stars.

Again, I think it's a bit unfair to compare us to the Giants due to the lack of parallels.

I will say four. Morris is a close one, but can always use a solid RB.

Kerrigan

F Davis

Morris

Orakpo Healthy**close one given thier front

I say London ... I mean, are their MLB that much better?

Trent ...

Our kicker so far has been no slouch

Rocca would start.

Orakpo I don't think would start. His coverage skills are roughly as good as mine. That rules him out at linebacker. He isn't as good a pass rusher as what they've already got, so that rules him out at de.

Kerrigan has good coverage skills which is who I think he gets the start.

I'm sticking with 3

I saw the topic and I got to thinking about it and I really don't want to think about it anymore because it is a pretty depressing thought. The answer is not very many.

AlMo could probably take Bradshaw's job. There might be a couple others, maybe Freddy D or Trent Williams, but the number is certainly less than 5.

6 for me.

Kerrigan and Orakpo on Defense.

Trent Williams is pretty darn good, he'd start for most team including the Gmen.

RG3 would start over Eli. He is WAY more dynamic of a player and makes defense play an entirely different strategy. If you put RG3 on the Gmen they would score 45 a game.

Pierre Garcon would most likely start over Hixon or Randle, or whoever else they have playing on the outside.

Fred Davis

Morris is a toss up, Bradshaw is pretty good.

It feels like homerism that we'd try to opt out of this question because they run the 4-3 vs the 3-4. The point is our talent doesn't come close to there's and that's why we suck. Is it a better comparison to use us vs Dallas? I think it'd be worse...

Nope, it'd be a lot better. Bowen, who left Dallas as a FA, is as good as Coleman or Hatcher. Cofield actually has better stats than Ratliff this year, but I'll refrain from giving him that. Carriker probably would be fighting hard for a spot.

Orakpo beats Spencer at OLB handily I think, and our two ILBs are better than their two. They do win hands down in the secondary, but remember, they spent a bunch of money and draft picks there, getting Carr and Claiborne there.

I think there's 4 definite starters for Dallas; Orakpo, Riley, Fletcher, and Bowen, and I think Carriker plays for the other DE spot heads up. Cofield loses to Ratliff not because Ratliff is playing better this year, he's not, but because of his past play for the Boys.

On offense, Williams is LT again, Griffin has a strong argument over Romo sits to pee, Davis has a strong argument against a declining Witten, and I think Monty gets a spot somewhere along the interior, and again, Garcon is the #3 on the field in 3 WR sets, which is often, and I think Young beats Vickers. So 6 guys, again, not including RBs who I think would get to contribute.

Another thing with comparing squads in the east is that every single team has a solid 1 and 2 WR, except for us. Nicks/Cruz, Austin/Bryant, and Jackson/Maclin. I think Garcon *can* be mentioned in the same breath as those guys, but he's not quite there yet.

So the question is, does this team lack talent or do they lack "heart" or effort?

And does either option help Shanahan any?

I think the answers to all of those questions are clear. If you take the burgundy blinders off, that is

So the question is, does this team lack talent or do they lack "heart" or effort?

And does either option help Shanahan any?

I think the answers to all of those questions are clear. If you take the burgundy blinders off, that is

I think talent wise, it's pretty close to 50/50

Skins have no heart (offensively or defensively) - no one looks happy to be out on the field. No one looks ecstatic after big plays - they play with no fire.

there was another thread talking about the differences between our defenses now and in 06,07 - the difference to me is there is in your face leader (fletcher is a great character guy but he doesn't fire the players up like marcus washington use to or how the defense was running off the hits of ST)

If you combined both teams, talent wise I would take:

Trent, Garcon, Davis, Cofield, Bowen, Orakpo, Riley, Fletcher, Kerrigan (it'd be close to include Merriweather and Jackson but we have yet to see them in reg. season action) - and you could even add RG3 and Morris to this list looking in the future a year or so. Monty as well with a little more experience (he hasn't quite had a full season of consistent success and needs more time)

Archived