Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Shanahan's given up, what hope do we really have with him? A pretty darn disappointed and disillusioned long time backer of the HC.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I hate knee-jerk threads. Maybe this will be seen as one, maybe not. But this is something that can't be let slide and deserves it's own talking point.

I've been a BIG defender of Coach Shanahan on here. I still believe in him in the mounting face of every sense of reason to the contrary. (And boy is the 'contrary' fast mounting by the week.).

But for him to turn around in the post-game presser and say that he's now evaluating players and allude to the season not mathematically over, but realistically; is a cause for serious concern.

We're just past half-way for Pete's sake. And he's talking of evaluating and looking to next season. It's open knowledge I never expected much of anything out of this season results wise. I had us at 5 or 6 wins all things considered. But I'm a FAN. He's the freaking Head Coach of this organization. The man tasked with leading us back to the promised land. You CAN'T openly voice that opinion in his position, even if you think it privately, 1 game over half-way into the season before a two week break.

If I'm the owner, there's a massive red flag just gone up. Even more so after all I've laid in the line on getting Robert. If I'm a player in the locker room, how does the HC expect me to lay everything on the line for him come Sunday when he, the man leading me, has to all intents and purposes given up.

That, more than anything else that happened today has troubled me the most. I don't see how that can be translated into anything else than he's written off this season. Which even if the post-season isn't realistic, is a ridiculous thing for a HC to openly say with 7 games left.

And it's put up the first real doubt in a long time Shanahan backer as to whether he actually is the guy to see this through.

Hail.

I completely agree. I defended him all season as well but this guy doesn't need to say it in a presser for me to know that he's given up. Look at the play calling. Heck one week we took a knee and let the time run out in the 4th quarter. Now if I'm going to spend my money to drive 6 hours to see this team this Christmas, I expect them to at least throw a bomb and try an onside kick. Its never over until its either over or the coach gives up. If I was RG3, I'd be pissed that with that kind of talent, the coach is calling my rookie year a wrap.

I think he's going to look at that press conference and wish that he'd taken the fine and just not said anything.

The whole thing was just one emotional, bad comment after the next. I think that there will be some cooler heads and back peddling tomorrow.

I really wanted to see some fire and brimstone, but I think all I saw was frustration and depression. A guy searching for answers that he knows are not there.

He needs to come out with a strong message tomorrow.

..... If I was RG3, I'd be pissed that with that kind of talent, the coach is calling my rookie year a wrap.

Seriously. I don't know how he can expect his players to lay their body's on the line for him the rest of the season when he's openly talking in such defeatist tones. With 7 games to go, and 5 divisional games.

Hail.

There's no reason to let him finish his 5 year plan. The Skins should have something to show for his first 2 years of fixing. This is more of the same. Coachs don't have the luxury to be terrible 3 years in a row and expect to keep their job. Especially when they concede at the halfway point.

I, honestly, think we're screwed for a while. The lack of firsts is going to hurt. The lack of fa to alleviate that is going to make it worse. I don't mind letting Allen give it a shot. It'd be nice to have the GM choose the coach rather than vice versa.

I agree. I am really starting to doubt what Shanahan can do and if he is the one to turn this around. Just every week there seems to be more chinks in the armor that I can't defend.

I hear ya' man. I'm slowly starting to reach that point too. The indiscipline for one , 3 years in, is a serious flashing light.

Hail.

Snyder has to be another crown royal away from blowing a gasket

He has done everything right since hiring allen and then shanny and it looks totally wrong due to the guys just not getting it done

the owner has always been one to cut his losses

I am rooting the trend continues

Gibbs, forgive me because I'm upset and I have bee saying some these same things for years... WHY DID HE GUT THE ONE STRENGTH THIS TEAM HAD FOR YEARS? That 4-3 needed some youth/aggression in certain areas not a complete face lift.

Our offense needed to be retooled completely . It's like he's making this harder than it had to be. We still have the same needs we had since he took the helm and a whole host of new ones he created along the way.

HAIL

I'm sure his comment had nothing to do with the bye week coming up...you know, when every staff in the league goes back and evaluates their team and decides what and who to keep when it comes to playbook and players???

Nahh....couldn't be that....

Y'all need to take a Midol.

Did he not say the exact same **** last year when we were out of the race???

You know damn well what that means...come on now

He took the defeat badly - and he should. The last two games the team has not looked well prepared, and that's down to him. The defense has practically given up, and the bad attitude seems to be spreading to the offense. The number of penalties we are collecting is unacceptable. I think he has half a season to show he still can control the direction of this team or he may well be gone.

I'm sure his comment had nothing to do with the bye week coming up...you know, when every staff in the league goes back and evaluates their team and decides what and who to keep when it comes to playbook and players???

Nahh....couldn't be that....

Y'all need to take a Midol.

I think he could do with you at his side this week DP to spin this in the opposite direction to the one he's sent it.

Hail.

I'm not sure what the answers are, and unfortunately, that's the realization Mike had today as well.

He is a man at a loss for answers, and sure sounds defeated.

Unless there is a serious come-to-Jesus moment over the bye, I'm not sure if Mike is going to find the answers he is so desperately seeking.

Shanahan knows the deal. His teams pack it in every single year unless they are a completely dominant team.

Since the 2005 season his teams have all won 1-2 of the final 6 games of the season. Since he's come to DC the team packs it in even earlier. He's regressing, not improving as a coach. He's not Joe Gibbs and nobody should expect to go from 5-7 to 9-7 like in 2007.

Head coaches NEVER have success with their second team.

No SB winning head coach in the History of the game has won a Super Bowl with his 2nd team. Doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon.

The Skins need a leader like Gibbs. Anything less and we're going to be Zorned forever.

I no longer believe in the Shana-Plan. Good work you got us our QB for the next 10 years, now please check your bags at the curb and take Haslett with you.

I hear ya' man. I'm slowly starting to reach that point too. The indiscipline for one , 3 years in, is a serious flashing light.

Hail.

Yep, you would really think with a HOF coach in his 3rd year that this team would have some structure and discipline. I just don't understand it. There is no accountability here. Nothing done to Hall, Shanny goes out of way to praise Williams play unprovoked...I mean it just doesn't make sense.

I was not on Shanhan's wagon initially. I looked at all of those "In Shanny I trust" guys and thought that they were fools because Shanhan had some major red flags. I warmed up to him somewhat last year, believing that he was on the right path and that we have added some nice talent, but never did I stoop to the "In Shanny I trust" level still.

The situation he was put into was a bad one, and he has done some things to fix that up, but I wonder if his message is starting to become numb to the players. Penalties galore and it has been two weeks in a row in which our veteran corners are simply doing rather selfish things that a supposed hardass like Shanahan would not tolerate...

Archived