Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider:How to stop Robert Griffin III

VeroViper

Eight weeks into the 2011 NFL season, the world was going crazy over Cam Newton. Here was a quarterback with a prototypical build and all of the physical tools to not only succeed in the NFL but, based on his first eight games, potentially revolutionize the position. A year later, we're scratching our heads wondering what's gone wrong with Newton's play.

Now we find a similar situation for Newton's Sunday opponent, Robert Griffin III. After seven weeks of success in his first NFL season, he ran into the Pittsburgh Steelers, who made Griffin appear pretty pedestrian in Week 8. Washington's QB posted season lows in completion percentage (47.1 percent) -- although drops really hurt -- yards per pass attempt (5.2) and yards per rush (1.3). But it wasn't just the Pittsburgh game; in fact, his passing statistics have dipped significantly over the past four games, including a 177 yards-per-game average in that span compared with a 267.5 average in his first four. So, at a similar point in the season, have NFL teams found the answer to the question of how to stop RG3?

Piece is written by Jaworski. You need ESPN insider to read the rest(which I don't have) Supposedly he claims to know the "secret" to stopping RGIII, which the NFL hasn't figured out yet. Anyone on here have insider? Anyhow, here's the link.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8582813/nfl-jaws-teams-discovered-how-stop-robert-griffin-iii

I still think that Robert plays a game of football that most defensive players and coaches are not familiar with. There are other teams and players doing some of the things that he does, but he has the passing, running and decision making that has seldom been seen. I would expect defenses to start and gameplan better for him, but I feel confident that both the QB and the coaches will alter formations and plans to counter this.

I too do not see a sophmore slump or second half slump for him. He will adjust and continue to impress.

Hail

It's no wonder Jaws was kicked of MNF for his buffoonery.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but hopefully not. Jaworski has always been about as insightful as it gets when it comes to quarterbacks. The man typically watched every snap a guy played before announcing there games and I loved listening to him break down quarterbacks as a player, not just according to their performance and stats.

Jaws has experience and credibility and is one of the few media guys that I really tend to pay attention to when he has something to say. Sounds like he was pretty positive concerning Griffin and I'd like to hear a bit of a more in depth breakdown from the article if anyone has the time...

Countless mediots said Dick LaBeau figured out RG3 last week.

I guess his brilliant gameplan was to let our mediocre and banged up skill players get wide open on a consistent basis then drop passes.

Yup, thats the way to stop Griffin, do a rain dance before the game and let WRs get open so they drop the ball. Worked like a charm in Pittsburgh.

Its extremely hard to contain a guy that can run like RG3, and still find the open receiver to burn you with his arm. I definitely can't see RG3 having a slump next year. Especially with as well as he's playing without his top two receiving threats. You just can't shut him down. You can only hope to keep him off the field and build a large enough lead.........or like you all said and just let the WRs drop passes left and right.

**** like this irritates the hell out of me. The Steelers defense didn't do anything to stop Griffin....when receivers weren't dropping passes, we were moving the ball fairly easily. They also keep saying they held him in check running. 4 runs were from our own half yard line or kneel downs. People should be required to view tape before commenting or writing a story :mad:

How to stop RGIII?

Hope his receivers don't catch the ball.

Also, hope the Redskins defense sucks so you can jump out to a big lead and force them off of the ground.

If you only get one of those two, it won't stop him. If you get the big lead but our WRs catch the ball, we'll catch up. If our receivers can't catch but you don't get a big lead we'll kill you with the run.

You need both to stop RGIII. Pity that won't happen often.

**** like this irritates the hell out of me. The Steelers defense didn't do anything to stop Griffin....when receivers weren't dropping passes, we were moving the ball fairly easily. They also keep saying they held him in check running. 4 runs were from our own half yard line or kneel downs. People should be required to view tape before commenting or writing a story :mad:

They actually contained him pretty well. Did you notice that every time he rolled out, a LB or sometimes the DE from that side rolled out with him? As far as pass defense they really didn't do anything special, but I think they deserve some credit for shutting down his run game.

They actually contained him pretty well. Did you notice that every time he rolled out, a LB or sometimes the DE from that side rolled out with him? As far as pass defense they really didn't do anything special, but I think they deserve some credit for shutting down his run game.

i havent watched the game again. nor am i an expert, but if the steelers took away RG3s legs, good for them. fact is, if our garbage (yes, they are garbage) WR's dont drop a dozen (or something) passes, we are in this game.

Griffin's receivers made Griffin LOOK pedestrian ON THE STAT SHEET. However, when TEN drops occur within the game, you know RGIII hit his target TEN TIMES and got nothing to show for it. Yes, a couple completions would be wiped out because a touchdown would have negate the subsequent tries, but his stat line would have look much better. Some receivers don't even have 10 drops a year.

He doesn't pass much because maybe, he doesn't have to as much as other QBs.

That's just it though, they spied on him to slow the option and gave up the passing, this is not Mike Vick, RGIII can wing the damn ball, the WR's just have to catch it.

Shanahan didn't even run RG3 much and I think that was a very wise decision. After all, he shredded the Steelers Big D, the receivers just dropped every pass, as well as refs not calling PI in the endzone. I still don't think it would have been enough points thanks to the "lost boys" in our secondary getting smoked again.

Here's the article for my Redskins family:

Eight weeks into the 2011 NFL season, the world was going crazy over Cam Newton. Here was a quarterback with a prototypical build and all of the physical tools to not only succeed in the NFL but, based on his first eight games, potentially revolutionize the position. A year later, we're scratching our heads wondering what's gone wrong with Newton's play.

Now we find a similar situation for Newton's Sunday opponent, Robert Griffin III. After seven weeks of success in his first NFL season, he ran into the Pittsburgh Steelers, who made Griffin appear pretty pedestrian in Week 8. Washington's QB posted season lows in completion percentage (47.1 percent) -- although drops really hurt -- yards per pass attempt (5.2) and yards per rush (1.3). But it wasn't just the Pittsburgh game; in fact, his passing statistics have dipped significantly over the past four games, including a 177 yards-per-game average in that span compared with a 267.5 average in his first four. So, at a similar point in the season, have NFL teams found the answer to the question of how to stop RG3?

To properly counter a top quarterback, you have to understand his weaknesses, but you also must understand his strengths. If you can't exploit his weaknesses -- and today's elite QBs have few, if any -- you need to take away what he does best. Against RG3, that's easier said than done. We've seen the foot speed when he gains the edge. We've seen the arm strength over the top. We've witnessed the uncanny awareness against the pocket pressure. So, how do you combat such a potent player?

There are two schools of thought on how to defend a rookie quarterback. The first is to attack him. Dial up the pressure, pin your ears back and just get after the quarterback. Well, when the Saints tried to blitz Griffin multiple times early in Week 1, the rookie responded by starting the game 8-of-9 for 188 yards and two touchdowns. On the surface, that seems like an amazing performance -- particularly from a rookie. Not to take anything away from RG3, but sometimes a blitz is a blessing to a green QB.

When defenses blitz, your options become much more limited and you focus immediately on the hot route. The thought process, a tripping point for many young quarterbacks, becomes irrelevant and it's a simple reaction to the defense's action. In that way, the blitz can make things easier on a rookie; you just react. And that certainly seems to be the case with Griffin.

Robert Griffin III Passing by Number of Pass-Rushers, 2012

ESPN Stats & Information

STAT 4 OR FEWER 5 OR MORE

Comp pct 68.6 63.0

Yards/att 7.8 9.1

TD-Int 3-3 5-0

Total QBR 70.5 98.4<<

>>best in NFL

Although his completion percentage dips slightly, Griffin's total QBR against five or more pass-rushers is an NFL-best 98.4 and he has thrown five of his eight touchdowns against such pressure. That said, those instances have been few and far between because defenses have played fairly restrained against Griffin early on. He has faced extra pressure on only 21.8 percent of his dropbacks this season, the third-lowest percentage among qualified QBs in 2012, according to ESPN Stats & Information. That brings us to the second school of thought.

The second approach is to sit back in coverage, take away his receivers, make him bounce from one target to another, make him decipher the coverage scheme, make him think about each option and ultimately make him deliver the ball into tight windows. And while the rookie is busy weighing the possibilities, your defensive line is getting closer and closer to putting him on his backside and your secondary is baiting him into making mistakes with the football. This is the approach we've seen most often toward Griffin through the first eight weeks, perhaps informed by the disastrous blitz results witnessed in New Orleans. But although that might be the prevalent approach, RG3 still sits as the league's No. 8 quarterback according to total QBR. Sitting back hasn't exactly shut him down, either.

Charles LeClaire/US Presswire

Robert Griffin III didn't look good playing from behind against Pittsburgh.

So, what was the Steelers' secret to succcess?

I have a few explanations, but my biggest reason was on the scoreboard. With the Steelers jumping out to a big lead, the Redskins' running game was somewhat neutralized. And with that element off the table, Dick LeBeau's defense was able to dial up the pass rush. As the second half progressed, we saw more and more exotic blitzes and, without a running game to keep the defense in check, we saw RG3 get sped up and play a little frenetic for the first time all season. It led to increased inaccuracy from a rookie who has been phenomenal with his mechanics thus far.

Is there something to take away from the Steelers' Week 8 win? Absolutely. Get the lead and stay there. Well, that's easier said than done. So if I'm scheming to stop RG3 starting from 0-0, this is what I'd try to emphasize based on the film I've seen so far:

The Redskins love to attack the middle of the field, then go long with deep crossing routes. As of right now, Washington's offense isn't one that operates outside of the numbers. You have to find a way for your linebackers and safeties to be effective between the hashmarks and funnel the ball back to the inside, where your defenders have help. And, whatever happens, your defensive ends or outside linebackers cannot let Griffin get to the edge. If he breaks outside of the pocket, the Minnesota Vikings can tell you what happens next.

But that basic plan is easier to type than to execute. I can see what the Redskins are doing on offense -- and the league's defensive coordinators can, as well -- but I don't have to stop it. And the complications of stopping the Skins extend beyond merely bothering their quarterback.

There are several key reasons I believe Griffin's success will continue through the remainder of 2012. The first reason relates to the way the Redskins have handled their rookie signal-caller. Washington is putting a major emphasis on protection. The offense features very few open formations, which is another reason Griffin hasn't seen many blitzes in the first eight weeks. Washington's formations at the line of scrimmage don't give defenses a lot of opportunities to blitz off the edge and short corners, essentially limiting what defenses can do. And even when you do blitz, it's not easy to get there. The Shanahans (head coach Mike and offensive coordinator Kyle) also have limited the number of choices Griffin has to make with the ball. They've kept it simple, giving him a lot of either-or reads in the passing game. And finally, the Redskins have emphasized the running game, rushing the ball 31.2 times per game, the fifth-highest rate in the league.

The Redskins also do a spectacular job of stretching the field horizontally. They do it with the stretch run, and with Griffin's speed through options and bootlegs. Exhibiting that ability to attack sideline to sideline slows defenses down. So far in 2012, it almost has made defenses overly cautious and conscious of gap control, freezing them in place and giving Washington's attackers a split-second advantage they can exploit. And it has paid off big in the play-action game. Griffin is freezing the defense with the threat of the run, then generating good passing windows off those fakes and creating huge voids for his wide receivers to run to. That negates some of the defensive advantage to sitting back in coverage and rushing only three or four linemen.

It's that overall versatility of Griffin and the Washington offense that makes me think RG3 won't hit the same speed bump Newton hit last midseason. Especially given that I believe Newton's problems in Carolina aren't entirely of his own making.

When I look at the Panthers, I see almost a college style of offense. Despite a backfield that features Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams and Mike Tolbert, Carolina doesn't feature a power running game. Instead, it features a read-option look behind Newton. Although that might play to Newton's strengths in some ways, I believe it limits the effectiveness of the Panthers' backs.

As an NFL running back, you want to get the ball, find your hole and burst through it. I think the read-option takes away from that one-track mind and adds in some indecision. Not knowing whether they're even going to get the ball creates a little bit of apprehension, and you don't see the backs hitting the hole with the same sort of tenacity as you would with a specifically designed run play.

That hasn't been a problem in Washington, where Alfred Morris has proved to be a terrific one-cut, downhill runner. With the Shanahans, there is a clear understanding of what you need to do to be successful in the NFL. As much as we see RG3 creating with legs and arm, the Redskins' emphasis is still hitting their opponents in the mouth.

Washington's offensive scheme isn't complex, but it is extremely effective, partly because of its simplicity. And as the weeks have gone on, we've seen the Skins fold more and more elements into their play calling, holding those plays in reserve -- and off of game film. Just when defensive coordinators might think they can key in on certain aspects of the Redskins' attack, the team adds another wrinkle. And it's a whole lot tougher to stop something you've never seen.

Did the Steelers expose the secret to stopping RG3? I don't think so, not yet, at least. And I think things will only improve for the Redskins in 2012.

Notes from the Film Room

• I know Newton and Griffin invite comparisons, but when I look at how their teams have used them at quarterback, there are stark differences. In Newton's case, 80.6 percent of his throws have been out of the shotgun (171 throws out of 212 attempts). I like shotgun passing, like to get away from the line, but that's an amazing figure. By comparison, RG3 sits at just 59 percent in 223 passing attempts. It's pretty clear the Panthers have not committed to developing Newton as a pocket passer just yet.

• Want to see what a versatile defender looks like? Check out Atlanta Falcons DE Kroy Biermann. Biermann has dropped into coverage 22 times through Atlanta's first seven games. He dropped into coverage 13 times throughout all of last season. Atlanta uses Biermann as the "Joker," meaning he is used in several different ways. On one down, he'll be a basic DE pass rusher; on others, he'll spy on an athletic QB; on still others, he'll drop deep into zone or man coverage. Lining up in two- and three-point stances will keep offenses guessing.

• The Saints have been much more conservative this season with defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo in charge instead of blitz-happy Gregg Williams. New Orleans has blitzed only 64 times through seven games (an average of less than 10 blitzes a game) and has been the worst blitz team in the NFL, by far, giving up seven TDs and forcing no INTs. Opposing QBs have a QB rating of 143.4 against the Saints' blitz. Compare that with the Saints last season, when they led the NFL with 316 blitzes over 16 regular-season games (just under 20 blitzes per game), and held opposing QBs to a rating under 75.

• The Cowboys started their Week 8 matchup with the Giants looking very out of sync on the offensive side of the ball. On the first play of the game, Tony Romo sits to pee took a five-step drop out from under center as his outside receivers ran 5-yard routes, which should require only a three-step drop from under center. Miscommunications such as these cause disruptions in timing and rhythm between the quarterback and his receivers. This needs to be worked out quickly for the Cowboys to stay in the playoff hunt.

Griffin's receivers made Griffin LOOK pedestrian ON THE STAT SHEET. However, when TEN drops occur within the game, you know RGIII hit his target TEN TIMES and got nothing to show for it. Yes, a couple completions would be wiped out because a touchdown would have negate the subsequent tries, but his stat line would have look much better. Some receivers don't even have 10 drops a year.

He doesn't pass much because maybe, he doesn't have to as much as other QBs.

If Robert completed just five more passes, he likely would have a completion percentage of 60 and at least two touchdowns. Probably three since I don't think the Aldrick pass was technically a drop as much as it was blantant P.I.

I mean, we're looking at the touchdown to Hank, the touchdown to Dez happened in a later drive (I think), and the Aldrick TD; it's a completely different ball game if those three passes are completed.

Dick LeBeau didn't really "figure out" Robert. Robert didn't throw a pick, didn't throw any balls that should've been picked, and didn't fumble, and he was only sacked once. Most rookies wish they could say that against Pittsburgh.

Not even close.

10 drops, 2 of which were for TDs and the majority of which would've been for first downs.

Right... Pittsburgh's defense really stopped him there....

Basically, our offense is pretty damn good and it seems like the only way they can play horribly is when they beat themselves.

It's mostly the offensive holding and false starts that have been killing our drives, along with some of the mishaps of learning such as the Griffin-Morris handoff fumbles. Once they can clean that up, I think this offense will be top 5 perpetually in the league if the receivers don't get the dropsies like this game.

Listen griffin will have his good and bad games, like every other player in the nfl. His bad games do not constitute that teams have figured him out, so far it's the players around him (minus morris) that have given him the bad games. Griffin will be stopped, but he won't have the slump that newton is going through, RG3 is the real deal.

Archived