Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Leonard Hankerson: Patience

LiveStrongSkins

Im not a WR expert, I'm not going to sit up here and pretend to be. I do coach WR's at the high school level and have attended several clinics put on by area college coaches on how to best coach wide receivers. The one thing that stood out to me was something Ralph Friedgen said. You work on finishing catches by making sure the pre catch aspects of being a WR are second nature. When I look at Hankerson, he effortlessly stems defensive backs. There is very little drift to his routes. He moves in and out of breaks very well for his size and there have been plays this season where his ability to get deep have given the skins opportunities to really test defenses. He sets up his double moves well and also uses his body surprisingly well to create space. The drops look bad right now, judging RG3's deep ball has been a work in progress but I simply am trying to get people to see.... he isnt that far away. He just turned 24, and is coming off a season ending injury. He will continue to have drops, he will continue to frustrate you but the "pre catch" ability is there and stellar. Give him time, let him grow. When things slow down mentally for him he is going to be a force. Just hope its here and no where else.

I think we're making to much out of the TD drop he had against the Steelers. Everyone was dropping balls yesterday.

And Hankerson's played pretty well this year to I feel.

Agreed. What people need to take into account is how he got that open. He ran a great route. He does every game. Brandon Marshall, Nicks, Roddy White all had struggles with judging deep balls and coming down with catches to start out. WR's learn over time. There are phenoms that are exception to the rule but a majority of productive wide receivers have to fail and have to struggle before blossoming. He is a third round pick, very young at that, and coming back from an injury that effects every aspect of playing WR. I think by the time he is 26, he will truly be a force.

With Hank, it's concentration drops. That's all the drop on Sunday was; he tried to peak up field before he caught the ball. Fairly common for young receivers.

He worked at it at Miami and got better; it's not hard to imagine he'll get better here. I think that's really where some of the drops and the bobbles come from.

I don't know if he'll ever be an elite, number one receiver, but he can develop into a very good possession type guy.

More annoying are the constant claims that he's stupid and doesn't know what he's doing.

Great post NLC. He clearly understands the game and has a very natural ability to sell routes and create space. You dont do that at 24 being an idiot. We disagree a little maybe on his roof. I think he will have the opportunity to become elite especially playing in an offense that puts so much pressure on you with the run game, but it will certainly take time. But if he does become a solid #2 and a reliable target, its well worth the 3rd round pick.

Im not a WR expert, I'm not going to sit up here and pretend to be. I do coach WR's at the high school level and have attended several clinics put on by area college coaches on how to best coach wide receivers. The one thing that stood out to me was something Ralph Friedgen said. You work on finishing catches by making sure the pre catch aspects of being a WR are second nature. When I look at Hankerson, he effortlessly stems defensive backs. There is very little drift to his routes. He moves in and out of breaks very well for his size and there have been plays this season where his ability to get deep have given the skins opportunities to stretch the lid of the linebacker/safety zone. He sets up his double moves well and also uses his body surprisingly well to create space. The drops look bad right now, judging RG3's deep ball has been a work in progress but I simply am trying to get people to see.... he isnt that far away. He just turned 24, and is coming off a season ending injury. He will continue to have drops, he will continue to frustrate you but the "pre catch" ability is there and stellar. Give him time, let him grow. When things slow down mentally for him he is going to be a force. Just hope its here and no where else.

Golly, a rational post-loss Redskins post. Honestly that is why I don't post much. I like this. You can apply this to several positions. Beyond that, if you have played sports you'll understand, you have a game where it's just not "right". I can't explain it, but know for a fact it exists. Sometimes you play someone with equal ability ( I played everything in HS; college football & tennis....just NAIA....nothing special...odd combination) Favorite sport to play? Basketball....go figure...we did win Concord University's intramural Basketball championship:)) but for some reason it's not there. The Skins had exactly that. It really does not matter if it's home or away; it just happens. Hell, you can feel GREAT before you play but something just isn't right when you actually play. Sorry for the rant but it really does happen. Great post! HTTR

The issue isn't just the drops though. There is a reason that a WR like Terrell Owens was forgiven for his drops, and he had quite a few. It was because of his ability to straight up take over games, regardless of being double-covered.

There is always a trade off with top tier talent that you excuse if the consistent play is shown.

The issue I have with Hankerson is that he is looking like a possession WR when all is said and done, and something a possession WR is counted on for is CATCHING THE BALL.

If Hankerson was at the level of the elite WRs in the NFL, but also had occasional drops, then I don't think we would have a big problem with it, the problem is he isn't.

If Hankerson was at the level of the elite WRs in the NFL, but also had occasional drops, then I don't think we would have a big problem with it, the problem is he isn't.

Isn't expecting him to be elite automatically in what is basically his first complete season a little unfair to the guy, though?

He's not Julio Jones or A,J Green or something.

---------- Post added October-29th-2012 at 07:32 PM ----------

Hankerson has potential....Fred Davis is out...Garcon is still out. I say it's time to offer a 4th round pick for Dwayne Bowe before the trading deadline.

Yes, because trading Hank and a fourth round pick, for a former first rounder and borderline elite wide receiver TOTALLY would happen.

This ain't Madden. Hell, even Madden would reject that trade.

Who said anything about including Hank? Bowe is gone in free agency and rumor has it that the Chiefs would take a 3rd rd pick. The big salary is the issue. Incarcerated Bob tweeted a rumored deal of Cousins, Aldrick Robinson and a 5th for Bowe....and we all know how he is flawless with his predictions. ;)

Hankerson seems to be playing scared right now. I don't know if it is the injuries or what, but dude isn't all there.

I would get rid of him though,. hopefully he gets it together. We are going to need him.

I feel the same, he is playing scared for w/e reason. Hes also mechanical, to be a good player, you need to be smooth. Running/catching should be 2nd nature to him but its not......I've always been a Hankerson supporter and still am but he needs to step it up.

The issue isn't just the drops though. There is a reason that a WR like Terrell Owens was forgiven for his drops, and he had quite a few. It was because of his ability to straight up take over games, regardless of being double-covered.

There is always a trade off with top tier talent that you excuse if the consistent play is shown.

The issue I have with Hankerson is that he is looking like a possession WR when all is said and done, and something a possession WR is counted on for is CATCHING THE BALL.

Do we know that yet though Mike? He essentially had a one game trial last year and is working his way back from injury this year. Hes dropped passes and been inconsistent but has also made plays to show you what he can be. I still think the sample size is a little small to label him inconsistent for now.

I think we're making to much out of the TD drop he had against the Steelers. Everyone was dropping balls yesterday.

And Hankerson's played pretty well this year to I feel.

Agreed. We also got the TD on that drive anyways. Had we not, then I would've been a little more upset. He's the possession guy who is asked to do different things because of injuries to Garcon (and has done them well, in my opinion).

I'm a Hankerson fan and I am still convinced we got him as a steal in the 3rd round... he'll pan out well for us.

I feel the same, he is playing scared for w/e reason. Hes also mechanical, to be a good player, you need to be smooth. Running/catching should be 2nd nature to him but its not......I've always been a Hankerson supporter and still am but he needs to step it up.

See I disagree here a little bit. To me he seems to be thinking on the run but has run some great routes. He does alot of things naturally. At times he looks mechanical but he needs the reps. It's essentially his rookie year. Next year he will be further removed from the injury and more reps to draw from. He will continue to improve but I see a really good route runner, a guy who breaks down a DB very quickly vertically and uses his size to create space.

See I disagree here a little bit. To me he seems to be thinking on the run but has run some great routes. He does alot of things naturally. At times he looks mechanical but he needs the reps. It's essentially his rookie year. Next year he will be further removed from the injury and more reps to draw from. He will continue to improve but I see a really good route runner, a guy who breaks down a DB very quickly vertically and uses his size to create space.

I hope I'm wrong and maybe Im being too harsh, but I just feel bad for Rg3. He was running for his life yesterday, made some great throws and got nothing from them....Again Im not saying hes a bust or anything, he needs to step his game up, thats all :D.

Hankerson has one of the worst football IQs I've ever seen.

You have to like the modern football IQ system ratings with those fluorescent team-color numbers on their foreheads.

Looks especially cool when they're running through the tunnels.

Archived