Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unemployment falls below 8

Burgold

http://news.yahoo.com/us-jobless-rate-falls-7-8-pct-44-123110986--finance.html

First of all, regardless of politics that is great news for many Americans looking for work and fearing for their security. Glad to hear it. Go private sector!

Second, there's a part of me that thinks this is too big a jump and the timing is kind of coincidental. Is there some creative accounting going on here? It's such good news that the spidey-sense goes off a little.

Third, if these are real numbers, it's going to deeply impact the election.

Let's hope this is the real McCoy and this is a sign of further recovery.

This is going to be huge for the Obama campaign. After having a poor showing in Denver, Obama needed all the good news he could get. This is manna from heaven for his campaign.

Still, with our (apparently) inevitable jump off the fiscal cliff, I don't know how long this ray of sunshine is going to pierce through the clouds. I hope it does, though.

Regardless of your politics this is good news.

I don't want to be the gray cloud, but it'll be interesting to see what part of that number is because a large number of people have given up on looking for employment.

"The Labor Department said Friday that employers added 114,000 jobs in September. The economy also created 86,000 more jobs in July and August than first estimated. Wages rose in September and more people started looking for work.

The revisions show employers added 146,000 jobs per month from July through September, up from 67,000 in the previous three months. The unemployment rate fell from 8.1 percent in August, matching its level in January 2009 when President Barack Obama took office."

I don't want to be the gray cloud, but it'll be interesting to see what part of that number is because a large number of people have given up on looking for employment.

http://economywatch.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/05/14240541-unemployment-rate-falls-to-78-as-economy-creates-114000-jobs?lite

"A survey of households from which the jobless rate is derived showed 873,000 job gains last month, the most since June 1983. The drop in unemployment came even as Americans come back into the labor force to resume the hunt for work. The workforce had shrank in the prior two months."

It seems that this is good news all around.

Third, if these are real numbers, it's going to deeply impact the election.

I don't know about that. The $825 billion we all spent was supposed to keep unemployment below 8% from the get-go.

I guess a couple percentage points in, what, 44 months could be considered a nice return on our investment if your kool aid is blue. :)

I read an article a few weeks ago that said this very thing. That many Americans, after months of looking for work, have simply given up the search. I know that I have recently rejoined the workforce after looking for a couple of months, so I thank the Lord for that.

But there are all kinds of ways to mask the truth behind numbers. And unfortunately, I don't trust a single politican or their motives. However, like an above poster, I do hold out hope that this is a sign of future growth & not just some political move to gain American public approval.

Cooking the books would involve a conspiracy involving a lot of folks at the DoL/BLS. It doesn't strike me as something O would try to pull off.

I am not sure if it would be wise for Obama to hang his hat on this one. This is good news but how helpful is it to say, "The unemployment rate is very high, exactly where it was when Bush left office, and a lot of people have left the workforce. BOOM! Suck on that Mitt!"

I don't know about that. The $825 billion we all spent was supposed to keep unemployment below 8% from the get-go.

I guess a couple percentage points in, what, 44 months could be considered a nice return on our investment if your kool aid is blue. :)

Sure beats the "let it all go to hell" approach advocated by the Right.

Good news. As far as reaction. You'll tell how important this is based on who replies and what they say. If you get any conspiracy stuff, you know the numbers are really good.

Exactly, I posted the Reuters article on my facebook and was met with the same old "false numbers" gig we see here all the time, that comment was immediately liked...both are ver Republican voters.

Exactly, I posted the Reuters article on my facebook and was met with the same old "false numbers" gig we see here all the time, that comment was immediately liked...both are ver Republican voters.

Then you know the numbers bother them....which in a way is some sick sad ****.

and here it comes.

@jack_welch - Unbelievable jobs numbers..these Chicago guys will do anything..can't debate so change numbers

post a link to Tony Fratto's, Deputy Assistant and Deputy Press Secretary to former United States President George W. Bush,. twitter feed:

@TonyFratto

BLS is not manipulating data. Evidence of such would be a scandal of enormous proportions & loss of credibility.

Color me skeptical ,at first glance the math seems off

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/10/05/number-employed-people-rises-873000-september-highest-december-2008

The economy added 114,000 nonfarm payrolls in the month according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics with gains in healthcare, transportation and warehousing.

Truly shocking in the report was that the number of unemployed people dropped by 456,000 to 12.1 million.

But even more mysterious is the divergence in the two surveys done by the Labor Department.

The Household Survey showed a gain of 873,000 people employed in September - resulting in the surprise drop in the unemployment rate - while the Establishment Survey only showed a rise of 114,000.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/10/05/number-employed-people-rises-873000-september-highest-december-2008#ixzz28QziY5XI

Color me skeptical ,at first glance the math seems off

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/10/05/number-employed-people-rises-873000-september-highest-december-2008

The economy added 114,000 nonfarm payrolls in the month according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics with gains in healthcare, transportation and warehousing.

Truly shocking in the report was that the number of unemployed people dropped by 456,000 to 12.1 million.

But even more mysterious is the divergence in the two surveys done by the Labor Department.

The Household Survey showed a gain of 873,000 people employed in September - resulting in the surprise drop in the unemployment rate - while the Establishment Survey only showed a rise of 114,000.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/10/05/number-employed-people-rises-873000-september-highest-december-2008#ixzz28QziY5XI

Of course it does. Frankly, I think it is absolutely hilarious that when you saw the 7.8 number you webt straight to Newsbusters for guidance and direction.

Archived