Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2012-13 NBA THREAD!!! New Season/New Thread - LET'S GO!!!!!***

RonArtest15

Other thread served it's purpose, so let's get a fresh one for the upcoming season. We're about 3-4 weeks away from the opening of training camps, so the season is [chris traeger] literally [/chris traeger] right around the corner.

We're going a full 82, and the Heat are coming off an impressive Finals run from last year. We'll have some contenders...pretenders...and those in between.

I can't wait for the discussion that's going to happen here in this thread as we have some real knowledgeable b-ball minds on the site.

Without further ado....

Here's to a GREAT NBA season!

Oh yeah...if Adrian Peterson can look this good 9 months later after blowing up his knee, I'd have to say Derrick Rose will be just fine come the 2nd half of the season. Bulls fans should rest easy.

I don't know. AP can still rumble for his production but a PG really needs to be able to scoot around. I think you're right that he'll come back by the second half of the season, but I don't think he'll look the same.

But as good as he is, he could still be productive just shooting and passing without all of the driving.

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 04:29 PM ----------

My playoff teams as of right now in no order....

Nice. You think the Wiz can do it? I'm torn. My heart is saying yes but my head is telling me to wait and see. They've got the players to do it this year, but they still have to figure out how to win.

For the West, you've only got seven teams, who is your eighth? I'm with you on those picks except I'm not sold on the Blazers yet. They've got some talent, but you're going to need Lillard to be good early and Wesley Matthews bounce back strong this year to have a shot at the playoffs. I doubt Meyers Leonard is ready to start yet, but he's going to have to or the Blazers will be playing Aldridge at the 5 a whole bunch.

I'll go:

West

1.) Lakers

2.) Thunder

3.) Spurs

4.) Clippers

5.) Mavericks

6.) Nuggets

7.) Jazz

8.) Kings

The Warriors are my odd man out if Bogut is healthy. If not, the Wolves or the Grizz are my odd man out.

East:

1.) Miami

2.) Knicks

3.) Bulls

4.) Celtics

5.) Pacers

6.) Nets

7.) 76ers

8.) Wizards

The Raptors and Bucks are my odd teams out.

With normal recovery times expected, expected player improvements/decay and no other catastrophic injuries occurring I see the seeding playing out like:

EAST:

1. Heat

2. Pacers

3. Celtics

4. Knicks

5. Nets

6. Wizards

7. Bulls

8. 76ers

9. Raptors

10. Pistons

11. ATL

12. Bucks

13. Cavs

14. Lolcats

15. Orlando

WEST

1. OKC

2. SAS

3. LAL

4. MEM

5. DEN

6. POR

7. MINN

8. UTAH

9. LAC

10. SAC

11. MAVS

12. GSW

13. PHX

14.NOLA

15.HOU

I expect seeds 6-11 in the west to be tightly contested.

ESPN is revamping its NBA studio show for the upcoming season, SportsbyBrooks reports via Twitter. Grantland editor-in-chief Bill Simmons and former Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy are in; Chris Broussard and Jon Barry are out, according to SbB.

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/09/bill_simmons_stan_van_gundy_to.html

I actually like Barry...Broussard, not so much.

That being said, I still scratch my head as to how Magic Johnson keeps his gig. Yes, I know he's a legend, but he's an absolute idiot when it comes to breaking down games while on the set. Producers must have never seen him on the Magic Hour. SMH

You aint right RA.

I thought I had 8 in the West. I am going with Memphis. I could see the T-Wolves or Jazz getting there, but I think Memphis is the better of the three.

As far as the Wizards goes, the East is weak. They were playing good last year and I think this is the year where wall takes it up to the next level. If we can get 50-60 games out of Nene, I think we at least get an 8th seed. Might mess around and flirt with the fourth. :whoknows:

I went back and forth about the Mavs...I could see them in that 7/8 seed, battling it out with Utah/Minny. I think any 2 of those 3 teams will be in those spots.

I think they're better than those teams by a good margin. They're a team with a brilliant coach that knows how to win. I like the addition of Darren Collison at point and I think he's an upgrade over Kidd from last year. I like the addition of OJ Mayo and think he's an upgrade over Vince from last year. And I like adding Elton Brand and Chris Kaman, both of whom will be tremendous fits for Carlisle.

I also think Dirk had an off year because he came in out of shape and unprepared for the season. I think he bounces back into old form, and just over a year ago, he was an unstoppable force. His game isn't one that will be effected much by declining athleticism.

I think they're better than last year's team and get back into the mid seeds.

The team from the West I have trouble placing is the Clippers. Great PG and a lot of talent to work with but they're so poorly coached, what's their ceiling?

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/09/bill_simmons_stan_van_gundy_to.html

I actually like Barry...Broussard, not so much.

That being said, I still scratch my head as to how Magic Johnson keeps his gig. Yes, I know he's a legend, but he's an absolute idiot when it comes to breaking down games while on the set. Producers must have never seen him on the Magic Hour. SMH

Yeah Magic needs to go. He's got good charisma I suppose. Ok, not really.

I like Van Gundy's analysis a lot but he's arrogant and his voice is so annoying.

I think Bill Simmons is an inspired addition and I think he'll be good by midseason. The thing about Simmons that people underrate is he's a glue guy. He can work with anybody and is genuinely likable. He'll provide a nice offbeat take.

But you can't have Simmons just working with Van Gundy IMO. You need to get a player in there for something, other than Magic of course.

You know what I'd like to see? ESPN poach C-Webb from TNT and set him up with a really vet anchor who can help him articulate his ideas. C-Webb actually has a brilliant basketball IQ and is a good analyst, he just doesn't communicate that well. I'd like to see him in a more prominent role than he has at TNT.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 07:11 PM ----------

Lakers vs. Heat in the Finals guaranteed.

I hate NBA.

Already down on the Thunder? I think OKC is still better. Remember, their key guys are still years away from their prime and will keep getting better every year.

Because the Lakers could beat the Thunder...

Even with Dwight would not be surprised to see Thunder - Heat rematch. One thing is for sure, Heat are automatically crowned Eastern champs. No one is even on their level. Boston lost Allen to...guess who

On the other hand the West is sort of unpredictable

Anyone else up for a fantasy basketball league?

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 07:17 PM ----------

Because the Lakers could beat the Thunder...

Even with Dwight would not be surprised to see Thunder - Heat rematch. One thing is for sure, Heat are automatically crowned Eastern champs. No one is even on their level. Boston lost Allen to...guess who

On the other hand the West is sort of unpredictable

Boston did gain JET though, and I like the addition of Jared Sullinger. But I agree, Rondo is going to have to take a huge leap for Boston to match Miami.

If D Rose is healthy by the playoffs and Noah and Boozer are healthy, they can match Miami's level of play.

As good as LeBron and Miami are (and Ray Allen should be an upgrade over Mike Miller), they're still weak inside.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 08:03 PM ----------

Also, if people are down for doing a fantasy basketball league, what's the best website to do it through?

I think they're better than those teams by a good margin. They're a team with a brilliant coach that knows how to win. I like the addition of Darren Collison at point and I think he's an upgrade over Kidd from last year. I like the addition of OJ Mayo and think he's an upgrade over Vince from last year. And I like adding Elton Brand and Chris Kaman, both of whom will be tremendous fits for Carlisle.

I also think Dirk had an off year because he came in out of shape and unprepared for the season. I think he bounces back into old form, and just over a year ago, he was an unstoppable force. His game isn't one that will be effected much by declining athleticism.

I think they're better than last year's team and get back into the mid seeds.

The team from the West I have trouble placing is the Clippers. Great PG and a lot of talent to work with but they're so poorly coached, what's their ceiling?

I dunno, man. They'll have a solid, but unspectacular bunch. Dirk is 34. At some point he's going to start to decline. Last year was a "down" year by his standards, but I just can't help but to wonder if this is the start of his decline. I still say they'll be in contention for a 7/8 seed, but they are an older team with no upside.

*Also...SM, if you're looking at fantasy leagues, check out ESPN. Their format, IMO, > Yahoo & CBS

I never used ESPN fantasy basketball site before. I only played on yahoo's. I'm actually down stevemc for the fantasy basketball.

RA15, to be honest, I don't think no one in the West can beat the Lakers this year, expect the Thunder. For real, the only thing that can stop the Lakers coming out of the west are the Lakers and if they don't gel. T

I never used ESPN fantasy basketball site before. I only played on yahoo's. I'm actually down stevemc for the fantasy basketball.

RA15, to be honest, I don't think no one in the West can beat the Lakers this year, expect the Thunder. For real, the only thing that can stop the Lakers coming out of the west are the Lakers and if they don't gel. T

Lakers are going to be SCARY good. Only reason I don't have them at #1 (yet), is that we don't know how everyone will gel. I doubt that they'll have problems like the Knicks, but you just never know.

They will start out slow, not quite as slow as the Heat did but slowly. The fact that they are all so god forsakenly old should lend us to believe they have the BBiq to learn to play together coherently. The Lakers biggest problem is that they aren't geared to play defense against the elite western teams. Both SAS and OKC only need an average to above average shooting series to take it to them IMO. D-12's only real advantage offensively for them will be PnR situations with Nash. Teams would be wise to just camp in the lane and try to get their starters to beat them by shooting. They have an ok bench I suppose, but again, no defensive juggernauts.

Regarding the Howard's ability to make a defensive impact, while he is a better PnR defender this will negate their advantage in protecting the rim as nobody fears Pau when going to the hole. Perkins has done decently against Howard in the past, I belive Timmy will still be enough to soften his blow and I actually think the combination of M. Gasol and Z. Randolph would make for a damn good series if there is to be a Memphis-Lakers playoff series.

One more thing, people seem to forget how young OKC is...I'm not referring to their ability to run people out of the court...it is still very conceivable that their big 3+ Serge, will actually considerably IMPROVE in the offseason...That and getting Maynor back over Derrick ****ing Fisher is a massive upgrade.

I think the Lakers will start slow because Howard is out more than anything.

I dont think they will have any problems offensively because of Nash.

---------- Post added September-13th-2012 at 11:21 PM ----------

him and Barry, not happy with Simmons stepping in but SVG is great cuz he does not care, :ols:

It's the Warriors year! Finally!!!!!

yeah right :kickcan:

They've got a legit shot at the playoffs at least.

They've got a team that makes sense on paper and has some versatility for a change. They just need Bogut and David Lee to stay healthy so they don't have to rely on a stinker like Biedrins.

Having Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and Harrison Barnes on the perimeter is going to be incredibly hard to stop and those guys will create a ton of space for Lee and Bogut to operate. Problem is, they're also sieves on defense and will need Bogut to play out of his mind to bring any semblance of D to the team.

---------- Post added September-14th-2012 at 07:06 AM ----------

Awesome. That's two of us so far. If we start getting some more interest, I'll pull the trigger. I imagine we'll get more interest closer to the start of the season.

I've only done fantasy basketball once before, a couple of years ago. I probably won't be any good, but I'll at least be active and update my team.

I encourage anyone who hasn't done it before but has some interest to throw their hat into the ring. It's a lot of fun and far less complicated than it sounds. Plus, you only have to update your team once a week, and I find the amount of upkeep ended up being less than it took for football.

I think Steve Nash alone came close to making the Lakers the favorite when Bynum was still there. He's going to transform the entire offense. A healthy Dwight makes them the favorite IMO. BUT, keep an eye on the Dwight injury. He'll miss the beginning of the season most likely. And he'll be unconditioned when he gets back and might look bad, especially since he'll be adjusting to a whole new team and system simultaneously. The Lakers could give up ground in the regular season and finish outside the #1 seed as a result.

I agree with nuposse that the main challenge for the Lakers will be perimeter defense. The problem for them is that guys like LeBron and Durant and Westbrook are matchup nightmares for them and those guys are all on contenders, so they'll have to be dealt with.

It's almost becoming conventional for your contender to be built around freak athlete scorers at PG and SF. That makes what the Lakers have done "unconventional" by today's measure, building at the 2, 4, 5, with a pure passing PG--old school construction. I think small ball will be tougher for the Lakers to cope with than people are making out. Gasol and Howard are fearsome, both great low post defenders and rebounders. Which is why teams will always go small on the Lakers and force them to leave one of those guys on the bench. Do the Lakers have the forwards to cope?

Archived