Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread (National Signing Day)

ixcuincle

After the record-breaking bloodletting after last year, there are very few coaches left on the hotseat. Almost every coach is either too new or has too good a good a recent resume to be fired. But here are my predictions of who will and who won’t survive 2012:

The hottest of seats. I’m surprised these coaches are still around and don’t expect them to see 2013:

Frank Spaziani, Boston College- Boston College is getting exactly what they deserved for firing Jeff Jagodzinski, a good coach who had the nerve to interview for an NFL HC spot. Then again, things haven’t exactly gone well for Jago post-BC either.Shot-in-the-dark guess to replace him: Harvard HC Tim Murphy.

Mike Price, UTEP- money always seems to be a problem for the Miners when it comes to firing coaches but really, Price has done poorly there. It’s been a long time since Alabama hired him after he led Washington State to a Pac-10 title. Shot-in-the-dark guess to replace him: Texas DC Manny Diaz.

Their seat isn’t as hot as the two above, but I predict that these coaches are also gone after this year:

David Cutcliffe, Duke- I know, I know...exactly what should Duke expect? It’s a tiny school with high academic standards and no football tradition. But after six seasons of futility under Cutty maybe it’ll be time to try someone else. The early enthusiasm brought on by the Cutcliffe hire is long gone and the program has been regressing. Shot-in-the-dark guess to replace him: I don’t even have a guess. An older coordinator pining for his chance to run a program.

Robb Akey, Idaho- When he was a kid, did his parents call him Robbbbie? It’s hard to win at Idaho, but Akey is 19-43 in Moscow and has one winning season in six tries. Shot-in-the-dark guess to replace him; no clue, given the uncertainly surrounding the program. It’ll be a no-name.

Kevin Wilson, Indiana - yes, after only two years. Wilson looked overmatched in 2011 and no one seems to like him. No sense keeping him around if he’s obviously not going to be the answer. Shot-in-the-dark guess to replace him: Dave Doeren, current HC at Northern Illinois.

Joker Phillips, Kentucky- as time goes on I appreciate what Rich Brooks accomplished in Lexington more and more. Shot-in-the-dark guess to replace him: June Jones, HC at SMU.

Mike Riley, Oregon State- OSU is 8 - 16 over the past two seasons, and I can’t see them bowling this year. Shot-in-the-dark guess to replace him: Mike McIntyre, HC at San Jose State.

David Bailiff, Rice- is there a less relevant FBS program out there than this one? Shot-in-the-dark guess to replace him: Brent Venables, Clemson DC.

Derek Dooley, Tennessee- he got too much, too soon thanks in part to being the son of a legend. A guy that couldn’t win at Louisiana Tech should never have been handed the keys to a SEC program. Shot-in-the-dark guess to replace him: does Vanderbilt HC James Franklin hate Tennessee enough to turn down a big offer from the Vols? There’s only so much a coach can do at Vandy.

Coaches that have a better than 50% chance of seeing 2013, but some are going to get fired:

Ruffin McNeil, East Carolina- things have not gone well, but I’ll guess he’ll get a fourth year since he’s an ECU alum.

Randy Edsall, Maryland - I could see him gone from his “dream job” after two years. He ran a lot of players off last year and hasn’t impressed with his recruiting classes. Lack of talent = lack of wins .

Doug Marrone, Syracuse- The media and Phil Steele have picked SU to finish seventh in the Big East. If that happens, he’s gone. But my guess is Syracuse surprises and wins at last seven games in the regular season. It wouldn’t *shock* me to see them represent the BE in the Orange Bowl.

Jeff Tedford, Cal- he’s the winningest coach in school history, but have things gotten stale under Tedford? This program has been stuck in neutral for what seems like years, all while the other Pac-12 programs seem poised to make a move.

Tommy Tuberville, Texas Tech- a losing season will spell the end for Tubs but I think Tech will bowl. He inherited a tough situation three years ago in the wake of Mike Leach’s controversial firing.

Dewayne Walker, New Mexico State- This is another program with an uncertain future. NMSU won’t win but they’ll show enough progress to retain Walker and not pay a buyout.

Not sure why you think Marrone is on the hot seat. He's completely revamped the culture in the Carrier Dome.

He's been there for three years, they've posted 4-8, 8-5, 5-7 seasons in his tenure. That's a 17-20 record. Not great. But then look at Greg Robinson's tenure:

Four years. 10-37. Horrendous. Robinson CRUSHED Cuse, and they weren't great to begin with.

Since 2000, Syracuse has had three winning seasons. Two from Paul Pasqualoni, one from Doug Marrone. One of those from Pasqualoni was a 6-5 season.

Watch out for Marcus Lattimore and those South carolina Game****s! Marcus is considered a top 3 back in the country by a lot of college football analysts..he got hurt early last year, but he's back and good to go.

I LOVE ME SOME ****S!!!

Marrone and Cuse are picked to finish 7th out of 8 schools. That's in a league that lost WVU and gained Temple. If Syracuse finishes that poorly a change is warranted, especially when entering a new conference next season.

Why are you even remotely going off of something that people "pick"?

alright, my favorite thread is back. some random predictions and statements:

LSU beats USC in the national title

WV wins the big 12

Alabama goes 12-1 with a win in the sugar bowl

Barkley, Kniles Davis, Geno Smith, Denard Robinson are Heisman finalists

Honey Badger= most overrated player ever.

Nebraska wins big 10

Clemson wins ACC

Louisville wins the Big East

****s win the SEC east despite the easy road GA has.

TJ Yeldon will be the next sensational true freshman.

the Irish are not bowl eligible.

Super hyped for this season. Here's one of my team's hype videos.

Lets see your team's

yea but at the end of the day he was a game changer.... reminds me of our very own deangelo hall... overrated, yet talented, cant cover to save his life, but has good ball hawking instincts and can change a game (for either team) with those instincts...

Archived