Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Indystar - Peyton Manning: Irsay, not Grigson, will decide his future with Colts (Merged with other Manning News)

papaSkins27

So no, Manning isn't on the cusp of retirement. In a wide-ranging, exclusive interview with The Star on Monday night, the Colts' future Hall of Fame quarterback addressed a number of pressing topics, including his health, his sadness over the firings of several coaches, his minimal relationship with new general manager Ryan Grigson and the future.

For the record, Manning and Grigson finally met, briefly, last week when the two ran across each other in the facility.

"One thing he (Grigson) kind-of, sort-of told me, without really wanting to tell me, was that Irsay will be the guy I'm going to sit down and talk with," Manning said. "That's going to happen at some point, but we haven't had that conversation yet because we really don't need to have that conversation yet."

"I'm not in a very good place for healing, let's say that," he said, referring to the practice facility. "It's not a real good environment down there right now, to say the least. Everybody's walking around on eggshells. I don't recognize our building right now. There's such complete and total change."

"I mean, it's 20 degrees, it's snowing, the building is absolutely empty except when you see coaches cleaning out their offices," he said. "I guess it's the reality of the football world, just not something I've had to deal with very often. But I'm in there every day, so I have to sit there and see it. Everybody's being evaluated and I'm no different. It's not the best environment."

It's been difficult with all the coaches, many of whom have been with Manning since the beginning, or at least close to it. This franchise has been a model of stability and continuity; now it's all about change. When Manning hasn't been rehabilitating, he's been calling other franchises and offering recommendations on behalf of the departed coaches.

"I just want to pay tribute to all those guys. It's unfortunate because so many of them have been such a big part of so many big wins here, and this is so ... sudden. Their keys didn't work the next day. There's no other way to do it? I don’t know. That's hard to see, all these people leaving.

"And I may be behind them. Who knows?"

The question was posed: Given all the changes, the fact the Colts appear to be in a rebuilding mode, does Manning even want to come back to Indianapolis?

"Whatever happens, happens. I can't give you a prediction because Jim (Irsay) and I will sit down at some point and he'll get a feel for where I am and I’ll get a sense of what direction he wants to go. Right now, I have no idea."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120124/SPORTS15/120124015/Kravitz-Manning-says-Irsay-not-Grigson-will-decide-his-future-Colts?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

I know this has been discussed before but with this new insight from Peyton himself I figured it was more real then ever that he'll be available come March. With the buzz we've been hearing from LL about us being players if he does end up on the market, I believe Peyton will be released before his 28 million is due on March 8th and the Redskins will do everything they can to bring him in.

I've never started a thread before so go easy on me if I messed up anything, just let me know and I'll fix it. I'm posting in the Stadium because IMO, the article gives off the vibe that Peyton is on his way out and that means the QB hungry Redskins are involved in the discussion. Manning doesn't sound very comfortable in Indy anymore after the house cleaning that's been going on there and he's healthy enough to be working out and throwing everyday. That doesn't sound like a man that's planning on hanging em' up anytime soon.

How do you feel about Manning possibly leading our offense in 2012 and into the future? I hated the idea at first but I've really warmed up to it recently. It keeps us competitive in the short term and allows us to continue to infuse our team with young talent by taking the pressure off our FO having to move up in the draft to address QB.

Hail :logo:

I'm down. Bring it on, this bringing in aging superstars has to work eventually as it did for Vikings and Cardinals.

We won out of the "draft a franchise QB" sweepstakes and it's too expensive to move up now. Focus on drafting players around him and let's ball next year!

Look how many games he was good for with the Colts. If we get half that we are a 10-6 team overnight.

I'm neither for nor against bringing in Peyton. We still need a young QB to groom - RGIII, Foles, Wilson come to mind - but IF Peyton is healthy, it's hard to pass up that option via free agency. To me there are so many variables, is he healthy? Is he mentally recovered from the injury? Will he have time to develop chemistry with our receivers? Can he absorb an offense to the degree that he likes to command an offense?

If the answer to any of those isn't ideal, then we'd have a problem. But if we try it and it doesn't work and we turn to RGIII, well... that's not too bad. You can't fault us for going after one of the best QBs of all-time, hoping he has a year or two left.

But I'm completely against putting all of our eggs in the Manning basket and not trying to develop our future franchise QB.

I don't know, I really just can't see him leaving Indianapolis. And if Indy doesn't want him back either I think that's a huge red flag.

I think if we have another draft and FA period like last year's, we're a playoff contender and will only improve as our young guys get better. Peyton would be a patch job, in my opinion.

If people think we can't find a single guy that could develop into a franchise QB without trading up from our current position, and couldn't get that guy last year, I just don't see how we would find that guy with all the extra wins Peyton would bring us. And what a disaster it would be if he went down again.

I'll support the team if it happened, but I'd be lying if I said that's what I'm hoping for. I just want Shanahan to draft a young guy that can be the guy. I don't care if it's Griffin, Tannehill, or some no name guy. If Shanahan drafts a guy I think it'll be because they've done their homework and they can go far with him.

I don't know, I really just can't see him leaving Indianapolis. And if Indy doesn't want him back either I think that's a huge red flag.

I think if we have another draft and FA period like last year's, we're a playoff contender and will only improve as our young guys get better. Peyton would be a patch job, in my opinion.

If people think we can't find a single guy that could develop into a franchise QB without trading up from our current position, and couldn't get that guy last year, I just don't see how we would find that guy with all the extra wins Peyton would bring us. And what a disaster it would be if he went down again.

I'll support the team if it happened, but I'd be lying if I said that's what I'm hoping for. I just want Shanahan to draft a young guy that can be the guy. I don't care if it's Griffin, Tannehill, or some no name guy. If Shanahan drafts a guy I think it'll be because they've done their homework and they can go far with him.

I don't think its a red flag for them to wanna go with the guy who might start 15 years over the guy who might start 3 years.

Certainly sounds like Peyton is likely going to be out of Indy. Lots of change going on there. They simply can't afford his huge bonus AND the 1st pick in the draft both at QB.

Now.. remove the 28 million bonus.. which will be gone if he's cut.. I don't see any reason we can't sign Manning AND draft RGIII or Tannehill (depending on who we can get our hands on)

people can ***** and moan.. but man... Manning and RGIII/Tannehill .. whoever we get... is an enormous upgrade over Grossman/Beck

I don't think its a red flag for them to wanna go with the guy who might start 15 years over the guy who might start 3 years.

From a purely football play related standpoint, I agree, but with as much excitement he brings and how much he means to the fans, I could see fans jumping ship and feeling alienated by letting Manning go if he was otherwise healthy. Especially if he helps make a team a Super Bowl contender, despite Andrew Luck looking like a very good QB, I could see how Colts management would want him to be a Colt his entire career just for PR's sake.

That's a good point though, I guess I could see it going either way really at this point.

I agree and would also add they are cleaning house so they just as well start anew at qb, rather than keep a disgruntled holdover that cost 33 million next year against the cap.

As for Manning’s health, he's not all the way back yet, but he's not going to put any kinds of percentages on his recovery, nor will he predict whether he'll be at full strength by early March, when the $28 million option bonus is due. At this point, he just doesn't know.

To me this is the biggest issue. Will he eventually be healthy enough to play? Healthy enough to take hits and get back up. It sounds like even Manning himself is still in the process of recovering and has not reached that end point of recovery yet.

this will not bode well for the OP.

You were warned.

Care to expand on that?

I'm not trolling, was respectful, and posted 1 hour old news (after searching) that has possible ramifications on the Redskins offseason plans while asking fans their opinion on the matter. How is that a problem? :finger:

Make it stop!!!!

:beatdeadhorse:

haha I feel you man. I knew some people would roll their eyes and be like "more on Manning, really?" I for one sure thought Peyton would have a better idea on his future with the organization then - your guess is as good as mine. Peyton's quotes definitely paint the picture that he will be a part of the change happening over in Indy and I thought that was very relevant to the Skins and something people might want to discuss.

:cheers:

I would really not like to go the injured veteran route, even though it is Peyton Manning. We've beem down that road before, but on the other hand, my heart keeps saying, "if the guy is healthy this IS Peyton Manning dude." If they did decide to sign him, I'd still want to move up for RG3. We absolutely need a young top 3 QB waiting in the wings.

If the Colts let him go, they think he's not worth $28 million. And why should we have a huge salary in signing Manning and then trying for a younger QB in the draft? Does not compute.

Peyton Manning is due a 28 million dollar BONUS.. on top of his 10 million or so salary. If he gets cut, the bonus disappears.

No one is going to pay Peyton 28 million dollars to play football.

I'd say he could get a 3-4 year contract somewhere.. with a headline number of say 45 million.. with some bonuses and stuff near the end, the same way the Indy contract was structured.

He would probably cost about 8-10 million against the cap to have on your team as your starter. Might be able to get him for less, depending on how much interest there is, how healthy he is and how much interest he has in continuing to play football somewhere other than Indy.

The biggest barrier to us signing him if he were released and is healthy, would be the fact that he essentially would be competing against his brother for divisional and conference championships.. and would have to play against his brother twice a year at least.

I know we wouldn't have to pay the bonus, that's on the Colts. But we'd still have to pay a premium salary for an aged, 1 good hit away from a not playing player. I do not want any team's leftovers. A good young FA signing makes sense because the FA is making the decision himself and not a team trading someone for something of ours.

How do you feel about Manning possibly leading our offense in 2012 and into the future?

I feel nauseous about it.

These are the kinds of high profile signings we've become known for and they have not worked for us in the past and I doubt that they would be any different this time around, even with someone as accomplished as Peyton Manning.

Please make it stop.

I feel nauseous about it.

These are the kinds of high profile signings we've become known for and they have not worked for us in the past and I doubt that they would be any different this time around, even with someone as accomplished as Peyton Manning.

Please make it stop.

We'll never learn.

I really love how the people who don't want to "mortgage the future" to trade up for RG3 are generally in favor of a move for Peyton Manning. They don't give a damn about the future and would rather the instant gratification that Manning will bring us. Yay everyone, Manning will help lead us to a potential wildcard spot where we'll lose every year, and then retire and leave us scrambling to pick the fourth or fifth best QB in our draft class and continue the endless cycle of mediocrity. You know, since we shouldn't be trading up and "mortgaging our future".

We'll never learn.

I really love how the people who don't want to "mortgage the future" to trade up for RG3 are generally in favor of a move for Peyton Manning. They don't give a damn about the future and would rather the instant gratification that Manning will bring us. Yay everyone, Manning will help lead us to a potential wildcard spot where we'll lose every year, and then retire and leave us scrambling to pick the fourth or fifth best QB in our draft class and continue the endless cycle of mediocrity. You know, since we shouldn't be trading up and "mortgaging our future".

I'm leaning towards more of drafting our guy and giving up the picks necessary. But part of me says, if Manning gets a clean bill of health, take a chance, but I would ALSO draft RG3. In other words, I'd do both if it is plausable. But that would depend on Manning's health of course. My instinct is to do whatever it takes to get Luck or RG3.

I'm leaning towards more of drafting our guy and giving up the picks necessary. But part of me says, if Manning gets a clean bill of health, take a chance, but I would ALSO draft RG3. In other words, I'd do both if it is plausable. But that would depend on Manning's health of course. My instinct is to do whatever it takes to get Luck or RG3.

I just don't see both things happening. That'd obviously be ideal but with the money involved, it wouldn't make sense. Signing Manning gives our staff leeway to forget about QB in round 1, sell the fans on some mid rounder (which the last 10 years have shown has almost a zero percent chance of success), and have to start over anyway once Manning retires.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Whether we sign Manning, Flynn, Orton, whomever...if we don't land RG3 or Luck this year we are going to be looking for a new QB in 3 years. None of the other QBs this year are going to become franchise QBs (and I felt this way even before Jones and Barkley went back to school). Signing a veteran stopgap like Manning will only make it that much harder to land a blue-chip prospect. The time is now because we were bad enough to be in position for a guy if we can trade up. If we're picking in the high teens 2 years from now, we won't have a shot.

I just don't see both things happening. That'd obviously be ideal but with the money involved, it wouldn't make sense. Signing Manning gives our staff leeway to forget about QB in round 1, sell the fans on some mid rounder (which the last 10 years have shown has almost a zero percent chance of success), and have to start over anyway once Manning retires.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Whether we sign Manning, Flynn, Orton, whomever...if we don't land RG3 or Luck this year we are going to be looking for a new QB in 3 years. None of the other QBs this year are going to become franchise QBs (and I felt this way even before Jones and Barkley went back to school). Signing a veteran stopgap like Manning will only make it that much harder to land a blue-chip prospect. The time is now because we were bad enough to be in position for a guy if we can trade up. If we're picking in the high teens 2 years from now, we won't have a shot.

Of course and my first direction is to draft a guy. We need a bonafide 10+ year, drafted stud to lead the team for the future. But alas, I really don't see Manning signing here.

We'll never learn.

That's not what people are saying at all. There is no hope in getting Luck and a lot to give up to possibly get Griffin.

What is being said is bring in Peyton so we can be competitive and he will benefit the whole offensive unit with how great he is. You still draft a young QB to have him learn for a couple years behind arguably the greatest qb to play.

This can also be beneficial for our defense and secondary to face one of the greats day in and day out in practice.

It's a win/win situation -- we're still getting younger and can still get our franchise qb of the future to learn from Peyton.

Archived