Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Inexplicable: Brian Orakpo dropped into coverage on 14 of Matt Moore's 29 passes

SkinsTillIDie

Brian Orakpo, dropping into coverage on passing plays (by my count):

12:14 in 1st, 3rd and 8 (1st down converted)

11:30 in 1st, 1st and 10

10:02 in 1st, 3rd and 2 (1st down converted)

9:19 in 1st, 1st and goal at 5

4:01 in 1st, 2nd and 27

:09 in 1st, 2nd and 7

13:45 in 2nd, 1st and 10

13:40 in 2nd, 2nd and 10 (1st down converted)

14:18 in 3rd, 2nd and 7

7:46 in 3rd, 2nd and 9

6:56 in 3rd, 3rd and 4 (1st down completed)

2:36 in 3rd, 2nd and 5

10:48, 2nd and 12

7:29, 2nd and 8 (1st down completed)

On numerous other run plays, Orakpo seemed set to drop into coverage until a run was evident.

It is inexcusable to not have our best pass rusher do what we pay him to do on at least 85-90% of passes. Far too often against Miami, we ended up rushing 4, with Kerrigan, Cofield, Bowen and Carriker. Quite simply, both Orakpo and Kerrigan need to be rushing the passer on every pass, with the occasional switch to give the QB different looks. Whether that means we play more often with a 4-man front or we rush 5 on more occasions, Jim Haslett needs to do a much better job maximizing the talent at his disposal. 50% is inexcusable, and a waste.

(It should also be noted that on the interception, Orakpo rushes up the middle, is occupied by the center and guard which allows Cofield to get in Moore's face to disrupt the pass)

When Haslett took over, he made a note that Orakpo only rushed the passer 400 times under Blatche and that he wanted to get him after the QB 800 times. It would be nice to actually see that transpire.

That's the joy of having two very good/elite pass rushers. You get to mix it up. I agree that that is a little high, but it's not a necessity that they both rush 85-90% of the time. You try to confuse the O. If the O is keying on Orakpo, you might drop him a little more often and rush from the other side. If they're keying Kerrigan, then you rush Orakpo. You can't just pin the ears back on both of them every play.

I get where your coming from, but Rak was going up against Jake Long all day long. I think even Reggie White would have trouble getting by that dude.

Agreed and I think that's why we saw Riley, along with others, blitzing through the right side (opposite) of Jake.

I thought they drew up some nice blitzes and Riley looked pretty good and quick at getting through and disguising that.

Also, they tried switching Orakpo over to same side as Kerrigan and Miami had to call a time-out. Not sure why we didn't attempt that a couple more times but they were planning the scheme away from Jake Long

I get where your coming from, but Rak was going up against Jake Long all day long. I think even Reggie White would have trouble getting by that dude.

So we just shouldn't rush anyone to Jake Long's side? I don't understand your point.

*I should also add that Orakpo had a number of really good rushes against Long. He didn't get to the QB, but he pushed the pocket at times, and at other times he wouldn't let Moore drop back any further. On a few more plays, he was just another second of half-second from hitting the QB. I wonder what his numbers would've looked like if he rushed 24 times instead of 14

That's the joy of having two very good/elite pass rushers. You get to mix it up. I agree that that is a little high, but it's not a necessity that they both rush 85-90% of the time. You try to confuse the O. If the O is keying on Orakpo, you might drop him a little more often and rush from the other side. If they're keying Kerrigan, then you rush Orakpo. You can't just pin the ears back on both of them every play.

I look at it like this: by far the greatest strength of our defense is that we have two burgeoning elite pass rushers. When they don't rush the passer, we're letting offenses off the hook; we're inherently weakening ourselves. I believe in the 3-4 defense, its versatility and what it allows us to do creatively -- in terms of blitzes and in terms of coverages -- but it doesn't make sense for the Ravens to drop Suggs into coverage 50% of the time, or the Cowboys to drop Ware into coverage 50% of the time, and I can't see the benefit of dropping Orakpo into coverage 50% of the time. Or even 30%.

If we were still running a 4-3, I'm pretty certain that Orakpo and Kerrigan would both be rushing the passer on just about every single passing down... That's not to say we should move back to the 4-3, but we need to put our best players in the best opportunity for them to make plays.

id have to admit that i didnt really notice, but that's probably cuz i was in an apethetic haze by halftime. i dont think this has been happening all year, correct?

i guess haslett is attempting to adjust his scheme by creating versatily and confusing the offense. i dont think he should. orakpo looks foolish most of the time in coverage and i think he should be rushing the QB nearly every down. it's really a waste if he doesn't. im sure schemes can be focused on that allow other players the pass coverage duty while rak rushes.

I totally agree with the overall sentiment. Pass coverage seems to be a huge problem for many of our LBs. Both Kerrigan and Orakpo are at their best when rushing the QB. Now I know both need to be able to cover but they both struggle so terribly that it's hard to watch. Once again coaching rears its ugly head. Orakpo should be averaging multiple sacks per game in his young career. He should be rushing from all sides and at various times.

:helmet:

So we just shouldn't rush anyone to Jake Long's side? I don't understand your point.

I'm saying that they should try to pick and choose their spots in which they decide to let Rak rush, which is what it seemed they tried to do. I'm sure Long had the mindset of going against Rak all day since he's our best edge rusher. So with Long keying on Rak, you can drop him into coverage and try to sneak a blitz to the inside. Just keeping them guessing.

I agree and I also like when Orakpo lines up next to Kerrigan. I've seen them do it a couple times this year - not sure it's produced a sack but have definitely put some serious pressure on the other team's QB's about every time they've done it that I've seen.

Rak did fine in coverage on all but one play; the play over the middle, where he rotated to the middle linebacker spot and Matt Moore floated the ball over his head to Brandon Marshall. As someone said, you have to do a good job of keeping offenses guessing. I think you'll find that the Ravens actually DO have Suggs drop back into coverage regularly. Not more than he rushes, but he does do it. That's how he got his pick in the Ravens game. And anyone else remember Suggs covering Santana frakking Moss like it was nothing in preseason?

It's not his strong suit, and I don't like the idea of putting him out there in space too often, but you can't just have him rush all the time. Eventually teams are just going to out formation you on offense and go with something like a two tight end, I-formation package that would pretty much destroy his rushing ability.

DVR'ed the game, watched the 2nd half this morning. I know they are letting the O-Line hold rushers, but it is really getting bad. Rak was literally in a bear hug on the one handed catch Fasano made. Maybe one of us needs to create a holding highlight reel and send it to the NFL officials and the Washington Post.

You can't just quit though. Even the best blockers can give up sacks. Letting the guy not have worry about you at all on about 50% of the pass plays is not going to help your chances. If everyone wants Orakpo to be a great player, then he has to be able to beat other greats. I don't care how good Jake Long is, you put pressure on him and keep him honest!

DVR'ed the game, watched the 2nd half this morning. I know they are letting the O-Line hold rushers, but it is really getting bad. Rak was literally in a bear hug on the one handed catch Fasano made. Maybe one of us needs to create a holding highlight reel and send it to the NFL officials and the Washington Post.

Or perhaps send it to Mike Pereira and ask him to explain wtf a holding call actually is. I'm sure he would have some kind of spin on it to where it's legal blocking though.

I honestly think that the word has come down that rushers are bigger and faster these days and that to save a multitude of QB injuries, look the other way on some holding. Some of the other ames I've watched, non-Redskins, and the ends were being held time and time again, if the definition of holding in the rule book is to be used.

exactly, Long owned Orakpo on basically every rush... and maybe they trust orakpo more in coverage than Kerrigan? but a more possible reason would be the fact the Kerrigan was owning their RT who i believe was Colombo.

OP has a point. Rak is possibly the worst pass coverage guy on the team. He should NEVER be in pass coverage.

What I don't understand is why Haslett always waits until the game is over to start moving him around. He should be rushing from all over the place. I would love to see him and Carriker on a stunt. Or see him and Kerrigan rushing from the same side more often.

It's obvious he's never going to be Like Clay Matthews or Demarcus Ware. Stop treating him like it. Play to his strengths, not his glaring weaknesses.

Of course not. :pfft:

I dont understand why we cant move him around like good teams good. If their LT is a beast no problem slide him over on 3rd down and make him work against a mediocre guard or right tackle.

I notice redskins are the only team that fails to help their players in matchups.

Other great teams double a good wr with a safety and 2nd corner leaving their #1 cb one on one with their 2nd best wr. What do the redskins do leave dhall alone against the top WR.

Rak does get held a lot..but don't act like he's the only pass rusher in the NFL that gets held a lot. He simply HAS to develop some more moves...if not, he will never be dominant.

Still trying to figure out what moves get you out of a chokehold other than an elbow the gut or stepping on a guy's toes or something...

Archived