Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Romney/Ryan Lose 2012 Election Thread

@DCGoldPants

We've got threads for Perry, Cain and Bachmann.......but nothing for the front runner.

Until now.

Mitt Romney Embraces Climate Denial: 'We Don't Know What's Causing Climate Change'

WASHINGTON -- Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney broke with Republican orthodoxy this summer, telling a crowd in Manchester, N.H., that humans are at least somewhat responsible for climate change. Now he's reversing his position, arguing "we don't know what's causing climate change."

"My view is that we don't know what's causing climate change on this planet," he said at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, Pa. "And the idea of spending trillions and trillions of dollars to try to reduce CO2 emissions is not the right

Think Progress' Brad Johnson has the video:

The remarks come in stark contrast to his stated energy policy priorities.

"I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that," he said at a town hall this June. "It's important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may be significant contributors."

With his fellow GOP presidential contenders engaging in different shades of climate denial, Romney has distanced himself from those remarks. In an Oct. 3 interview with the New Hampshire Union Leader posted online Thursday night, he elaborates on his new position on global warming.

"I say it's probably happening, all right? I think it's happening," he said when questioned about a passage in his 2010 book "No Apology" that deals with climate change.

"You said in June you believe the world is getting warmer and that humans have contributed to that," noted one reporter, quoting a line that comes directly from his book.

"And continue to the next line after that," Romney pressed.

"It's important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may be significant contributors," said the reporter.

"I say in the book three things," said a frustrated Romney. "One, I believe what I said before, I think it's getting warmer. Two, I believe we contribute to it. And three, I don't know by how much -- a lot or a little. And I am not willing to adopt multitrillion dollar programs to reduce greenhouse gases in America. They don't call it America warming, they call it global warming."

As president, Romney added, he would "aggressively develop oil and gas, as well as use our coal resources." Nuclear too would be a priority, though he said that it would require a long lead time.

"Of course I like the renewable resources, but I'm not in favor of sending checks for half a billion dollars as a venture capitalist to various favored solar companies," he said, in a conspicuous reference to Solyndra.

Romney's climate denial puts him in line with most every other contender in the Republican presidential field.

Herman Cain has called the very premise of climate change "a scam," while former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) has referred to it as nothing more than a "trend," accusing the left of "taking advantage" of it by creating "a beautifully concocted scheme because they know that the earth is gonna cool and warm."

Back in 2009, meanwhile, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) argued on the House floor that the very concept of global warming is faulty because "carbon dioxide is a natural byproduct of nature!"

In an August stump speech, Texas Gov. Rick Perry took the skepticism about climate change one step further, telling a New Hampshire business crowd that scientists have cooked up the data on global warming for the cash.

"We're seeing weekly, or even daily, scientists who are coming forward and questioning the original idea that man-made global warming is what's causing the climate to change," Perry said at the time. "Yes, our climates change. They've been changing ever since the earth was formed."

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) has become increasingly skeptical of climate change, calling it "the greatest hoax I think that has been around for many, many years, if not hundreds of years," in a 2009 interview with Fox News.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) appeared alongside former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in a 2008 ad that urged the country to address climate change, but has since switched to denial.

Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman is the only mainstream Republican presidential contender who has been outspoken about the need for climate action, calling Republicans' failure to address climate change at the national level "immensely frustrating." Within the GOP presidential field, he's green advocates' best hope.

Watch Romney explain his new-found climate denial in his meeting with the New Hampshire Union Leader. Discussion of energy policy begins just before the 22-minute mark.

Mitt Romney: Unstoppable in New Hampshire?

By Chris Cillizza and Aaron Blake, Published: October 27 | Updated: Friday, October 28, 6:30 AM

New Hampshire is at the center of the 2012 Republican presidential race today, as Texas Gov. Rick Perry travels to the state to formally file as a candidate for the first-in-the-nation primary and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney and Texas Rep. Ron Paul also make campaign stops in the state.

Republican presidential candidate former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney addresses a crowd outside the statehouse after filing the paperwork necessary to be on the New Hampshire primary ballot. (Darren McCollester/Getty Images)

But unlike Iowa, where voters seem genuinely undecided about picking a favorite, New Hampshire Republicans have installed Romney as the clear frontrunner in their primary — raising the question of just how competitive the Granite State race will be in 2012.

“Romney is still the 800-pound gorilla,” said Mike Dennehy, a Republican consultant who ran Arizona Sen. John McCain’s successful 2000 and 2008 New Hampshire primary campaigns. But, he added: “No candidate in New Hampshire is untouchable in a state that has rarely, if ever, rewarded the frontrunner candidate with a victory.”

While Romney may not be unbeatable, the path to an upset is steep — as made clear by two new independent polls that reveal the level of Romney’s current dominance.

In a CNN survey of New Hampshire Republicans, Romney leads at 40 percent, with businessman Herman Cain (13 percent) and Paul (12 percent) trailing behind. Perry received just 4 percent in that poll.

And an NBC/Marist poll of likely New Hampshire Republican primary voters produced similar results, with Romney at 44 percent to 13 percent each for Cain and Paul.

Not only is Romney’s support more than triple that of his next serious competitor, it’s also steady. A look at the Real Clear Politics average of polling in the Granite State shows that Romney has been consistently ahead of the rest of the field for months.

While Romney’s advantages in New Hampshire are well-known — he served as governor of neighboring Massachusetts for four years, he has a home on Lake Winnipesaukee, and he has lavished time on the state (today will mark his 16th town hall) — he is also clearly benefiting from the fact that none of his rivals seems to a) be making much of a push in the state or B) gaining any traction.

“Romney is far from untouchable here, but only if someone gets serious and challenges him,” said John DiStaso, a longtime New Hampshire political reporter for the Union Leader. “The question is: Have the other campaigns bought into the polls and ceded the state?”

At the start of the year, it appeared as though former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty would be Romney’s main competition in New Hampshire, as he put together a well-respected campaign team and visited the state regularly.

But Pawlenty dropped from the race in August following a disappointing performance in the Ames (Iowa) Straw Poll and, in the intervening two months, no candidate has stepped in to fill the void he left.

Perry’s money — $15 million on hand at the end of September — makes him a potential player in New Hampshire. But the state has generally been resistant to Southerners (George W. Bush lost the New Hampshire badly in 2000, and Mike Huckabee came nowhere close to winning in 2008), and Perry is further behind Romney in the Granite State than in almost any other state that votes early in the process.

Former Utah governor Jon Huntsman is on a “New Hampshire or bust” campaign and has many of the advisers that helped shepherd McCain’s victorious campaigns in the state. But, despite spending lots of time in New Hampshire, Huntsman remains mired mid-pack.

Both Cain and Paul have pockets of support but face major questions. For Cain, it’s whether he can put together a New Hampshire organization to capi*tal*ize on the national excitement for his candidacy. For Paul, it’s whether he can grow his support beyond his loyal but ultimately not-large-enough support base.

Former New Hampshire senator John E. Sununu, whose father — former Gov. John H. Sununu endorsed Romney earlier this week — said that the other candidates might not have to upset the former Massachusetts governor to see some political gain.

“Because of its size and the high level of voter interest, New Hampshire is still the best opportunity for candidates to break out of the pack,” the younger Sununu said. “The good news is that they don’t have to beat Romney in New Hampshire to get attention.”

And despite Romney’s lead, many New Hampshire voters have yet to be completely convinced.

“Granite Staters are also very late deciders and our last WMUR Granite State Poll, 89 percent of likely Republican primary voters said they had no idea who they are voting for,” said James Pindell of WMUR-TV, a local New Hampshire television station. “Candidates like Huntsman or Perry still have time to catch fire and, if they do, things will get very interesting, very quickly.”

The Mormon issue, revisited: We’ve said before on this blog that, while many may bristle at the idea, there is a significant portion of the American population that has a problem with Romney’s religion.

And its effect on his standing in early polls may actually be understated.

A new poll from the Public Religion Research Institute shows that only 42 percent of people can correctly identify Romney as a Mormon.

In other words, more than half of people — regardless of their views on Mormonism — aren’t yet factoring that into their voting equation.

The question is, once they get to know Romney and they do factor in his religion, do they say no to Romney?

Polling has shown about 20 to 25 percent of people express at least some hesi*ta*tion about voting for a Mormon.

For more, see our post from a couple weeks ago, which makes arguments both that this is a problem for Romney and that it may not be as much of a problem as it was four years ago.

George Will seems impressed

Romney, supposedly the Republican most electable next November, is a recidivist reviser of his principles who is not only becoming less electable, he might damage GOP chances of capturing the Senate: Republican successes down the ticket will depend on the energies of the tea party and other conservatives, who will be deflated by a nominee whose blurry profile in caution communicates only calculated trimming. Republicans may have found their Michael Dukakis, a technocratic Massachusetts governor who takes his bearings from ‘data’ ... Has conservatism come so far, surmounting so many obstacles, to settle, at a moment of economic crisis, for THIS? :ols:

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67070.html#ixzz1c7aQmoWW

He's only the leader because that's what FOX News told their lemmings to do.

The crowd there is nothing but white people.

He likes corporations, therefore, he MUST be the anti-Christ.

His tax plan will be the end of the earth as we know it.

It's only a matter of time before his supporters jump to Cain to prove they're not racist.

Glad I could help. :D

Honestly, I can't believe the Republican field is so weak and that no real heavy hitter choose to run. Romney- who could win by default is nothing but a Republican Michael Dukakis. I don't trust the man at all, especially since you know he will change his support for something at the drop of a hat to get votes.

This man doesn't deserve the honor of being Obama's sacrifice next fall.

Honestly, who on earth really supports this guy other than the Republican establishment. If you really listen to him, you can't vote for him. The guy has no core.

Honestly, who on earth really supports this guy other than the Republican establishment. If you really listen to him, you can't vote for him. The guy has no core.

Despite the last election, I still consider myself pretty solidly part of the republican base, and there is no way in the name of all that is good and holy I could ever vote for Romney, FWIW.

Despite the last election, I still consider myself pretty solidly part of the republican base, and there is no way in the name of all that is good and holy I could ever vote for Romney, FWIW.

Even though Perry is an idiot; what he says about Flip Flop Romney is true. Also, really; changing his core beliefs at 50-60.

Obama has nothing to worry about.

Mitt's top legal adviser. I'm actually shocked by this one but not by his absolutely crazy answers in this interview. Here is the beginning of the actual interview questions from the magazine.

Bork says he has known Romney, the on-and-off-again Republican frontrunner, for the past decade and supported his candidacy last time around as well as during the current race.

“I get an impression, a very strong impression, of competence,” Bork says, adding that “in addition to his undoubted skills as a businessman and a governor, Mr. Romney stands out as a leader.” Bork confides about his role in the campaign: “I’d like to be asked a question now and then for advice. But that’s about the extent of it.” As for his initial attraction to the former governor of Massachusetts, “The first thing that grabbed me about him is, he’s not Obama.”

Bork’s objection to President Obama?

“Aside from wrecking the economy and giving away a lot on foreign policy, I haven’t got any objections,” he retorts.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/10/16/robert-bork-on-romney-obama-and-biden.html

Even though Perry is an idiot; what he says about Flip Flop Romney is true. Also, really; changing his core beliefs at 50-60.

Obama has nothing to worry about.

Obama has plenty to worry about. If the economy stays down, he could lose to anyone, even one of these clowns (and no, Huntsman is not a clown,...)

Mitt Romney in a 1994 Debate vs. Senator Ted Kennedy...

I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I have since the time when my Mom took that position when she ran in 1970 as a U.S. Senate candidate. I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years that we should sustain and support it, and I sustain and support that law and the right of a woman to make that choice.

I had a dear, close family relative that was very close to me who passed away from an illegal abortion. We will not force our beliefs on others. And you will not see me wavering on that.

From Mitt Romney's 2002 Website...

On Abortion Rights -- As Governor, Mitt Romney would protect the current pro-choice status quo in Massachusetts. No law would change. The choice to have an abortion is a deeply personal one. Women should be free to choose based on their own beliefs, not the government's.

Mitt Romney in 2007...

Look, I was pro-choice. I am pro-life. You can go back to YouTube and look at what I said in 1994. I never said I was pro-choice, but my position was effectively pro-choice. I changed my position. And I get tired of people that are holier-than-thou because they’ve been pro-life longer than I have. But I’m proud of the fact.

From Mitt Romney's website in June, 2011...

I am pro-life and believe that abortion should be limited to only instances of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother.

I support the reversal of Roe v. Wade, because it is bad law and bad medicine. Roe was a misguided ruling that was a result of a small group of activist federal judges legislating from the bench.

I support the Hyde Amendment, which broadly bars the use of federal funds for abortions. And as president, I will support efforts to prohibit federal funding for any organization like Planned Parenthood, which primarily performs abortions or offers abortion-related services.

So Americans will have a choice between:

A) Obama

B) A pro-choice, health-care-mandate-signing, climate-change-accepting, weird-religion-having guy from a true blue state, and whose stated positions the GOP has already deemed completely unacceptable

Why, exactly, will rank-and-file GOP voters bother to go to the polls at all?

Guest Spearfeather

Originially posted by honorary_hog

Fire it up!

(Just know that you'll be reported to Attack Watch if you do. And probably never heard from again.) ;)

My WebCam:

2513649-young-man-with-tape-over-his-mouth-isolated-against-a-white-background.jpg

Archived